Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

rrrRREPORT MARSCH MARSCH

quote:

:smugdog: Your generosity has spoken, and we are listening! Historically, this last month has been pretty dry as far as contributions, but you have broken all the records. We are reaching the end of dwarven music and dance and there are even more exciting things on the horizon! I can only hope that you are as enthusiastic as we are. Personally, I can't wait to challenge a drunken miner to a game of dwarven chess.

Congratulations to the generous!

:radcat:

quote:

:frogc00l: Yeah, aside from the 11-month buildup to the Valentine's day 0.34.01 release in 2012, February contributions have generally been pretty low, but this time you all went well beyond our expectations! Next up, I'll probably be doing the dance form generator and then we'll have an interesting month of actually making use of all of these new objects. I imagine that'll start with world gen artists (poets, bards, etc.) and then to dwarf activities and then to visitors and finally to adv-mode artists (including the player), all for this release.

Feb: $4009.55
Jan: $3632.86
Dec: $8181.08

There was also a FotF update on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Something Awful Forums > Games > Dwarf Fortress 2015: Dancing All Night

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Vengarr posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Games > Dwarf Fortress 2015: Never Mind The Urists

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got maybe a dozen children or so right now, and I'm tired of them sitting around doing literally nothing useful. How do I go about modding them to do menial poo poo like hauling? I don't want them working actual jobs or anything, but they could at least be useful dumping items or something.

Children make terrible haulers, because hauling speed is linked to strength and tiny children are weaklings. They tend to be really bad at hauling heavy things like rocks, logs, furniture, and large corpses. Plus hauling can encourage them to go outside and get kidnapped.

I give kids Cleaning and Feed patients/prisoners labors. "Take lunch to Urist" or "mop up that mess" are the kind of chores kids do, so it doesn't feel like cheating. Feeding patients is easy enough, but apparently is a very low priority labor to the point that dwarfs will happily let their buddies starve to death (and then tantrum about their dead friends). Since the kids aren't doing much else they usually get around to feeding pretty quickly, and even the weakest child can manage to carry a bucket of water. Cleaning isn't usually urgent, but it's also a very low priority (and maybe buggy?) labor that rarely gets done by dwarfs with any other labors assigned.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

people joke about hating elves for being treehuggers but it's because they're weirdos who eat their own dead along with everyone else's

Nah, we hated them even when they used to be vegetarians back in the 2D days. You couldn't sell them anything made from trees or dead animals. :rolleyes:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Children are a cool idea.
I am just worried what some of the modders will do with it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Angela Christine posted:

Nah, we hated them even when they used to be vegetarians back in the 2D days. You couldn't sell them anything made from trees or dead animals. :rolleyes:

Making their hangups tree-exclusive was such a weird decision.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Michaellaneous posted:

Children are a cool idea.
I am just worried what some of the modders will do with it.

Anything blatantly pervy involving children is gonna get chased off of bay12, so while I wouldn't put it past some people, you're probably not ever going to actually see it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lurdiak posted:

Making their hangups tree-exclusive was such a weird decision.

I wonder how that change played out in world.

"Meat is murder!"
"You're not wrong, but hear me out. If meat is murder then logically murder is meat, right? "

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Anything blatantly pervy involving children is gonna get chased off of bay12, so while I wouldn't put it past some people, you're probably not ever going to actually see it.

Yeah, I suppose you are right. Oh well, can't wait to assign a bard as a teacher, so every child becomes a poet and musician, and the fortress dies becuase noone does anything usefull.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Mar 2, 2015

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

e: by the way some percentage of animals seems to be sterile, I've had a few occasions where they just NEVER reproduce, so I try to get at least two of each sex of whatever at embark.

They're probably gay or asexual.

(No, seriously. This is a thing.)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Monitor lizard hatchlings have hatched! :neckbeard:

e: this is not good news for the cats

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Angela Christine posted:

I wonder how that change played out in world.

"Meat is murder!"
"You're not wrong, but hear me out. If meat is murder then logically murder is meat, right? "

Someone introduced the concept of recycling to them. It is every elf's final duty to go into the pot, and to become one with all of nature (after being digested).

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
The thing is that elves are both hated and loved; they occupy a very amusing niche in the DF landscape. Almost everyone hates their pestering over wood, their flightiness and insulting way of talking down to your dorfs (plus, you know, you're with the dwarves and they're elves), but it's great having a race of utter annoying ponce bastards to sneer at. The elves also bring some of the best trade goods in the form of exotic animals which are great for making a fort more unique and hilarious, and a lot of their detestable qualities (cannibalism, tree obsessions, sneaky ninja bastard armies) are in turn also funny and/or incredibly metal.

Elves are the bestworst.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

It's kinda weird that it's only the elves that are put off by my main export of cat skull totems.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Elth posted:

It's kinda weird that it's only the elves that are put off by my main export of cat skull totems.

Weird, elves should be fine with that, unless they're mounted on wooden stakes.

Also, I found the entity tags for making goblins siege at lower populations and wealth requirements, but does anyone know if there are similar tags or settings for megabeasts? I haven't been attacked by a dragon since shortly after the 3D version first came out, I miss it. :(

I know titan requirements are their own thing but given all the weirdness surrounding megabeasts/forgotten beasts/titans as separate but sometimes-linked categories I'm not sure that's enough.

e: Nevermind, it's in creature_standard.txt!

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 2, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Flesh Forge posted:

There's a dfhack command "hfs-pit" for that.

e: happy to report giant barn owl chicks are finally hatching, thanks elves :toot:

this is not gonna be a good day to be a goose or turkey

What exactly does this command do? I gather that it possibly auto-dumps items for me?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, that would be 'autodump' which might also be useful. In the dfhack console, type 'ls' to read the builtin help.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Also, I found the entity tags for making goblins siege at lower populations and wealth requirements, ...

What is the limit exactly? I also turned up my pop cap because almost 7 years in with a pop of 52 or so I still haven't gotten any snatchers or sieges or ambushes, just night creatures and that ettin.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 2, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'm having a strange problem in my current fortress. I have an absolute overflowing plethora of empty barrels and large pots, and my dwarves refuse to use them for my prepared meals, so the dinner stockpile is full of godawful flies and making everyone cranky when they go to grab their masterwork prickle berry roasts. The meals aren't too large to fit into a container, either. I've tried remaking the stockpile, reducing the number of barrels reserved in all the other food stockpiles, building more barrels instead of pots if that was the problem, but nothing seems to work. My other food stockpiles are working fine, it's just the prepared foods that are being weird. And yes it is set to have barrels and such, so it's not that easy obvious problem.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Flesh Forge posted:

What is the limit exactly? I also turned up my pop cap because almost 7 years in with a pop of 52 or so I still haven't gotten any snatchers or sieges or ambushes, just night creatures and that ettin.

It's hard to tell because it's in an abstract format. A setting of "3" apparently corresponds to 80 dwarves, which is where it's at by default. I set it to 1, but I've only just started playing a world with those values.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The population triggers have six settings:
  • 0 - disabled
  • 1 - 20
  • 2 - 50
  • 3 - 80
  • 4 - 110
  • 5 - 140

A notable detail about progress trigger stuff is that apparently you can screw with them inside a saved game. You also only need to trigger a single one of the criteria to get the effect.

By default, elves will trade with you when you get 20 dwarves, 5000Гof wealth or other merchants see 500Г of goods coming out of your fort. Humans don't give a poo poo about population or wealth, otherwise they're the same as elves. If you ever see goblin traders, they only come to sites with at least 50 people, 25000Г net worth or 2500Г of exports on the books.

No civilization of any kind will ever siege you until you have at least 80 idiots milling around and making noise.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GenericOverusedName posted:

I'm having a strange problem in my current fortress. I have an absolute overflowing plethora of empty barrels and large pots, and my dwarves refuse to use them for my prepared meals, so the dinner stockpile is full of godawful flies and making everyone cranky when they go to grab their masterwork prickle berry roasts. The meals aren't too large to fit into a container, either. I've tried remaking the stockpile, reducing the number of barrels reserved in all the other food stockpiles, building more barrels instead of pots if that was the problem, but nothing seems to work. My other food stockpiles are working fine, it's just the prepared foods that are being weird. And yes it is set to have barrels and such, so it's not that easy obvious problem.

Sounds to me like you need some cats.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

scamtank posted:

• 0 - disabled
  • 1 - 20
  • 2 - 50
  • 3 - 80
  • 4 - 110
  • 5 - 140

A notable detail about progress trigger stuff is that apparently you can screw with them inside a saved game. You also only need to trigger a single one of the criteria to get the effect.

By default, elves will trade with you when you get 20 dwarves, 5000Гof wealth or other merchants see 500Г of goods coming out of your fort. Humans don't give a poo poo about population or wealth, otherwise they're the same as elves. If you ever see goblin traders, they only come to sites with at least 50 people, 25000Г net worth or 2500Г of exports on the books.

No civilization of any kind will ever siege you until you have at least 80 idiots milling around and making noise.

This is great information, thanks!

Nietzschean posted:

How do you make cats into barrels/pots in vanilla?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nietzschean posted:

Cats don't murder flies. The rats and stuff, yes, but not the swarms of annoying flies.

E: And I have plenty of cats.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Man, bins are so boned right now. I have two dyer's workshops set to constantly dye thread, and they keep canceling their jobs despite a surplus of both undyed thread and dye available. To solve the problem, I had to generate a minecart quantum stockpile for thread, just so there'd be an input stockpile that didn't use a bin.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

The problem is that even though the bins themselves aren't moving around anymore, the jobs will still back away from accessing any bin that's already "taken" by another storing job as if they still were.

Don't use bins unless you're looking to pack something for a quick trip to the depot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Alternatively just make millions of everything so the odds are better workers will hit a non-busy bin :v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

people joke about hating elves for being treehuggers but it's because they're weirdos who eat their own dead along with everyone else's

What they never tell you in the LoTR books is that lembas wafers are made of minced orc and elf.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Goddamn games crashed again. What kind of DFHack modules can I disable to minimize it?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Goddamn games crashed again. What kind of DFHack modules can I disable to minimize it?

Try disabling TWBT by setting the PRINT_MODE to 2D or STANDARD (or moving the hack/plugins/twbt.plugin.dll out of that folder).

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

scamtank posted:

• 0 - disabled
  • 1 - 20
  • 2 - 50
  • 3 - 80
  • 4 - 110
  • 5 - 140

I got goblin traders right of the bat on my game, like, in the first months or something, I didn't even have a rock crafting industry, or food or something.

program666 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 2, 2015

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

Man, bins are so boned right now. I have two dyer's workshops set to constantly dye thread, and they keep canceling their jobs despite a surplus of both undyed thread and dye available. To solve the problem, I had to generate a minecart quantum stockpile for thread, just so there'd be an input stockpile that didn't use a bin.
It might have nothing to do with it but I couldn't move a bin that was filled with crafting items to the trade depot, that's because it had scepters in it and the noble in charge banned the export of scepters, "Crafts" wouldn't even show up on the "move items to/from depot". I separated the scepters on another pile and I could move the bins to the trade depot. Maybe your dwarfs won't touch the bins because of some rule like this.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Somewhat related, but I've really grown to like my mayor. She likes chains a lot, and do every once in a while, she mandates the production of 1-3 chains, and more often than not just bans the export of them all together. I've been needing a lot of chains anyway from setting up jail cells and war dog security checkpoints, and I've had a huge surplus of zinc bars as of late, so it's been no problem to just make more zinc chains whenever needed.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

goblin traders? what? :psyduck:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Excelzior posted:

It's possible, but extremely unlikely, that your dwarf civ isn't at war with a goblin civ, which results in getting goblin traders (in winter, I think)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

every sculpture and engraving have humans killing elfs and vice-versa but nothing else so far, there are no human traders, the human envoy was a vampire-amphibian-human. There are also no dwarven traders and that thing where you're asked for specific priorities on trades happened with the goblin traders instead. Also the place I embarked is called The Comedic Forests. It's a pretty interesting world it seems.

e: maybe the dwarfs just got completely killed, but I do get immigrants from another group besides my own.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Excelzior posted:

They'll stop when the trigger for ambushes and sieges fires. Maybe it's just for sieges.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hey guys, whatup, been out for about 2000 posts, anyone still playing this game? Has Toady died of coca-cola overdose yet? Is feces a thing now?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
So, the last update had tigermen as pets no longer being a thing, right? What do I do if I want them to be pets again? Can I just restore the [PET] tag and have everything be as it was before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Hey guys, whatup, been out for about 2000 posts, anyone still playing this game? Has Toady died of coca-cola overdose yet? Is feces a thing now?

Not in vanilla, but in Masterwork monkeys will fling their poo at you

no I am not joking

e: Population ticked over to 81, poof here's a siege yay

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 3, 2015