Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Some gameplay footage of NightCry went up.

Looks kinda rough around the edges visually, still pretty excited though. Loved Clock Tower.

"Fighting back will get you nowhere."
"You must run, hide, or search for something to defend yourself."

Oh good. That sounds well thought out then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Oh hey, Dreadout part 2 is out now for download through Steam http://steamcommunity.com/games/269790/announcements/detail/240151225900656898

I hope the game moves out of that school building and into more exploring of that town. That was the best part of the first act.

I thought Dreadout was supposed to be skinpeelingly awful? You're the first person I've seen say anything positive about that game. What do you like about it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Hakkesshu posted:

I thought Dreadout was supposed to be skinpeelingly awful? You're the first person I've seen say anything positive about that game. What do you like about it?

There's a ghost on a motorcycle that does sick wheelies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLD85nqmLf8

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

"Fighting back will get you nowhere."
"You must run, hide, or search for something to defend yourself."

Oh good. That sounds well thought out then.

I'd say it's acceptable if "defend yourself" meant finding reactionary items like the shivs in The Last of Us or knives/tasers in Resident Evil Remake. Avoid taking a hit, maybe stunning the enemy in question to buy you some time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Hakkesshu posted:

I liked what I played of it, but then it got an update that meant I couldn't continue my save, and I haven't gotten around to replaying it. It has some problems, the scissor boss was a loving nightmare for a lot of people, and it has the respawn system where you run to the light, but every time you die the run gets longer and longer. That would appear to have been fixed in this latest patch (I haven't tried it yet though), so it should be much, much better. Other than that it's basically Indonesian Fatal Frame. It plays pretty well, it's got some good atmosphere, the spirits are a little stranger than what you normally see in western or Japanese works, and though it doesn't have as much lore as Fatal Frame, it has enough to intrigue.

Also, it's not the prettiest, but it looks solidly PS2.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

catlord posted:

I liked what I played of it, but then it got an update that meant I couldn't continue my save, and I haven't gotten around to replaying it. It has some problems, the scissor boss was a loving nightmare for a lot of people, and it has the respawn system where you run to the light, but every time you die the run gets longer and longer. That would appear to have been fixed in this latest patch (I haven't tried it yet though), so it should be much, much better. Other than that it's basically Indonesian Fatal Frame. It plays pretty well, it's got some good atmosphere, the spirits are a little stranger than what you normally see in western or Japanese works, and though it doesn't have as much lore as Fatal Frame, it has enough to intrigue.

Also, it's not the prettiest, but it looks solidly PS2.
I seem to be having the same problem, I can't get saves to load up even after copying them over to the new location. I"m trying to decide if I want to restart the whole thing. The first part's not very long though, and apparently they integrated the demo section somehow so there's some new content.

So yeah, unique and interesting folklore and a neat "small ghost town in Indonesia" setting. I hated one of the puzzles, and they unfortunately stuck you in one drab school building for most of the first part, but the good parts were enough to carry me, and the improvements seem to have taken all the critical feedback into consideration.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Nightcry isn't gonna get backed, is it. :smith:

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Probably not. Keep in mind the Kickstarter is for the pc version. It's still gonna get released on the Vita even if it fails to get funding. Though that basically ensures that it'll never see any success since the vita is deader than elvis.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The protagonist in that one looks like such a creepy stock Poser model.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Is the combat in Dreadout more involved than just pointing your camera at the ghost and clicking as rapidly as possible? That was the biggest problem I had with the early, early demo. After coming from Fatal Frame, where you had to aim and time your shots to get the most out of them, removing an ammo system and an aiming system feels like it reduces the game quite a bit.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Morpheus posted:

Is the combat in Dreadout more involved than just pointing your camera at the ghost and clicking as rapidly as possible? That was the biggest problem I had with the early, early demo. After coming from Fatal Frame, where you had to aim and time your shots to get the most out of them, removing an ammo system and an aiming system feels like it reduces the game quite a bit.
Unfortunately, it really doesn't get much more complicated than that. There are a couple ghosts that supposedly have spots you need to target specifically, but finding that just involves rapidly taking as many pictures as possible. Act 2 does add some new ones that involve some gimmicks to defeat though.

I finished act 2 and man, this game continues to defy me to like it. It starts off with the worst chase sequence I've seen, and puzzles that don't work logically, forcing me to look them up. But once again, I got into it and found myself mostly enjoying it. The unique lore and setting are refreshing to see, and it's a lot of fun to try to get all the ghostpedia entries. The ending goes bonkers in the traditional horror game sense unfortunately, and there are bugs, but they've been patching pretty regularly since it came out.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Oh hey, it looks like Dreadout stores on your drive a copy of every single camera shot you take in the game, in addition to using the Steam folder to store Gallery shots and shots currently in your camera's memory. The horror...

If you played the game and are obsessive about managing your drive space, you may want to do a search for .png files in your Users folder and Steam folder and clear out the old ones. At least they're not uncompressed ~1 MB files anymore like they were in act 1; they're actually .jpgs... even though they STILL HAVE THE .PNG FILE EXTENSION :eek: :ghost:

This is a very well made game. But because of that, I was able to salvage these gems I thought were lost forever. And now I share them with you, you're welcome

A rare picture of the Harry Potter ghost.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Has anyone here ever played ObsCure ? I have a DVD copy I've never played but the :effort: of playing a non-steam game has kind of left it sitting in a drawer for years. Worth it?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
It's "okay". The sequel is godawful though, unless you're co-oping with a friend, so you can make jokes at it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I actually really liked Obscure and refuse to spell it with that capitalization.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

The best part of the sequel is the co-op, which really makes up for the counter intuitive 90s horror movie mess that is Obscure 2.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I tell ya what.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Obscure is a pretty mediocre game but the characters and setting make it memorable. You'd think more horror games would involve high school students in a cheesy setting but they don't.

There's that PS3 adventure game that's been advertised for like 3 years, what was that called and why hasn't it come out yet?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

About 10 gigs worth of men's butts.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

al-azad posted:

Obscure is a pretty mediocre game but the characters and setting make it memorable. You'd think more horror games would involve high school students in a cheesy setting but they don't.

There's that PS3 adventure game that's been advertised for like 3 years, what was that called and why hasn't it come out yet?

What, Until Dawn? It's coming out this year. It also looks real fuckin bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

What, Until Dawn? It's coming out this year. It also looks real fuckin bad.

Yeah. Everything I knew about Until Dawn was from this trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWcaovaFxxI

Which advertised it as a Playstation Move game but with 100 endings or something. I liked the setting, young characters, and hokey setup. I liked the idea of basically an interactive movie with you literally pointing the remote on the screen to influence the events. It felt very Cabin in the Woods-ish and that was when Cabin in the Woods had just come out so I was hyped.

But looking at it now after Move bombed and it looks generic as gently caress. It looks like a Quantic Dream game but instead of pressing buttons to initiate actions you tilt the loving controller in the direction of the prompts like WOW A+ gameplay guys.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Basticle posted:

Has anyone here ever played ObsCure ? I have a DVD copy I've never played but the :effort: of playing a non-steam game has kind of left it sitting in a drawer for years. Worth it?

Obscure 1 is mediocre single player, but pretty great co-op, especially if you both like horror B-movies.

Obscure 2 is terrible in every way and honestly was difficult enough to watch the retsupurae of.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
I started watching a DreadOut LP and he mentioned White Day as being awesome, is that worth going through?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

If you're talking about HarshlyCritical, I would just watch his playthrough of White Day. It looks like a weird, clunky game to play, but something about the atmosphere is really effective. He gets super rattled by it too, it's great.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Has anyone heard of any updates regarding Routine?
Easily the one game i've become way more excited about than i should let myself get.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Sentinel posted:

Has anyone heard of any updates regarding Routine?
Easily the one game i've become way more excited about than i should let myself get.

That's the one with the retro art style like Alien: Isolation and a creepy A.I. or robots or something, right? I read a small blurb about it in Game Informer and it sounded dope.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

BottledBodhisvata posted:

That's the one with the retro art style like Alien: Isolation and a creepy A.I. or robots or something, right? I read a small blurb about it in Game Informer and it sounded dope.

Yeah. Devs have been pretty quiet for a while but IIRC one of them post a big rant about how A:I ripped them off or something

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah. Devs have been pretty quiet for a while but IIRC one of them post a big rant about how A:I ripped them off or something

C'mon, indie devs. Alien the movie was such a huge influence on the sci-fi genre that its entire aesthetic was broken down and assimilated into everyone's head. There are detailed breakdowns into how phenomenal Alien's design work was. Just how you can't escape Tolkein without completely repainting the high fantasy genre, your dark science fiction will inevitable draw from Alien's look and feel. Deal with it.

But on another, funnier, level I'm pretty sure it was Doom 3 that was first to do the interactive-console-within-a-console thing.

It's a visual flair that's undeniably cool and I don't think anyone acknowledges who pioneered it. Doom 3 was such a disappointing game but they really nailed the environment.

e: Now that I think about it, science fiction games have spawned the greatest innovations in heads up displays. All the way from Star Raiders which had an interactive map and visual indicators for your condition to Dead Space with its holographic displays.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 25, 2015

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

al-azad posted:

C'mon, indie devs. Alien the movie was such a huge influence on the sci-fi genre that its entire aesthetic was broken down and assimilated into everyone's head. There are detailed breakdowns into how phenomenal Alien's design work was. Just how you can't escape Tolkein without completely repainting the high fantasy genre, your dark science fiction will inevitable draw from Alien's look and feel. Deal with it.

But on another, funnier, level I'm pretty sure it was Doom 3 that was first to do the interactive-console-within-a-console thing.

It's a visual flair that's undeniably cool and I don't think anyone acknowledges who pioneered it. Doom 3 was such a disappointing game but they really nailed the environment.

e: Now that I think about it, science fiction games have spawned the greatest innovations in heads up displays. All the way from Star Raiders which had an interactive map and visual indicators for your condition to Dead Space with its holographic displays.

You know the oddest thing is how few games have made use of that high res in-game display thing that Doom 3 did despite the fact that it's basically the one thing that was universally praised about that game. It really added a lot to be able to read the various screens and such by actually reading them right off the screen in the world, rather than hitting your "use" key and having it bring up a text box that describes to you the thing you're supposed to be looking at.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Improbable Lobster posted:

al-azad has already explained why this is stupid but if a game is announced several years after your game was, is completed, released to critical acclaim, and also releases several DLCs while your dev team has produced all of like two trailers, then you deserved to get ripped off.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That and Routine was basically just Not-Alien. But hey by the time Routine comes out everyone will have played and forgetting about Alien: Isolation and will be ready for another spooky retro first person sc-fi horror game!

...as long as Alien: Isolation 2 and SOMA don't beat them to the punch. :v:

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You know the oddest thing is how few games have made use of that high res in-game display thing that Doom 3 did despite the fact that it's basically the one thing that was universally praised about that game. It really added a lot to be able to read the various screens and such by actually reading them right off the screen in the world, rather than hitting your "use" key and having it bring up a text box that describes to you the thing you're supposed to be looking at.

It's such an underused system too. Modders managed to get Doom 1 running on it. D1 inside D3. :v:

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
I seem to recall reading a short blog post a few months ago from the Routine team that basically said "Sorry for lack of updates, don't worry, progress is still going smoothly and we're still set to release sometime next year." I may be misremembering, though.

Speaking of Short rear end Blog Posts, SOMA got a similar update a few days ago. A new screenshot was posted with a short sentence that basically said they were entering beta pretty soon! They also teased that once the beta was finished they'd reveal some more stuff.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm no fan of his videos, but apparently Markiplier put out a tweet that he's played Five Nights at Freddys 3, hopefully that means there'll be a public demo or at least more gameplay information out soon.

EDIT:

As much as I like the games and Scott, I loving hate the type of youtuber that it attracts. God dammit I just want to see what the game is like.

Danaru fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 3, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
He's posting a video soon. :neckbeard:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Danaru posted:

I'm no fan of his videos, but apparently Markiplier put out a tweet that he's played Five Nights at Freddys 3, hopefully that means there'll be a public demo or at least more gameplay information out soon.

And the kids at work had finally stopped talking about him and those games ):

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

poptart_fairy posted:

He's posting a video soon. :neckbeard:

It's up.

Seeing things run by your window while the camera screen up is terrifying. It almost seems like playing BB's "Hello!" too much lures him into your office to scare you and gently caress a system up.

E: Or it just happens when it feels like. :stare:

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 3, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus loving christ Scott what the gently caress are you smoking. :stonk:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

If his idea was to just gradually ramp up the stress and number of balls to juggle slowly over the course of several games to the point it becomes a living yet still manageable nightmare, then he's doing a fan-loving-tastic job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

I'll have to wait for harshlycritical or someone else less cheesy. Besides his camera taking up a giant portion of the screen, his over acting, poorly applied makeup and horrid facial expressions just irk me to no end. I didn't make it through the phone call.