Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Thea as the Question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scyantific posted:

:siren::siren::siren:
(It's Thea)

I could never do something like that, it would freak me out too much being completely enclosed like that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scyantific posted:

:siren::siren::siren:
(It's Thea)

Uh oh... incoming head wound

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The image title is 'mia.jpg' :crossarms:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The image title is 'mia.jpg' :crossarms:

Mia as in Mia Dearden aka the second Speedy. Also the same alias Thea used in Corto Maltese.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What's the flash mold in the background used for?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I knew who Mia Dearden is. I had forgotten she used it Corto Maltese.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Hope you were getting paid while you wrote all that rubbish.
You know you've made 193 posts in this thread, right?

BrianWilly posted:

Hey, maybe he shot all those ninjas in non-vital organs. He's got to have gotten that process down by this point, right?
He set one of them on fire!

quote:

Well...no, she was gonna shoot him with a gun too.
Eh, he could have beaten her to death fifty times before she pulled that gun, and guns have only ever failed to stop Barrowman before. I'm pretty sure he killed a SWAT team with a sword in season 1.

quote:

Oliver's the one who really comes across as an emotionally-stilted sociopath here. Malcolm killed Laurel's sister, of course she wants revenge, and we know what she's the type of person who wants revenge via personally getting her hands dirty. Malcolm put Oliver's sister in danger over and over again and he's just like "But we need Malcolm Merlyn!! I have to protect him!"
Yeah, it's pretty messed up. It's also weird that Laurel was okay with working with Tommy's killer prior to the Sarah reveal.

Deakul posted:

Except he's not wrong about any of it.
Except Katrina Law.
Dude, come on. I know her absurdly beautiful face is distracting (the Stephen Amell Problem), but that accent is all over the place. I guess it comes from her Australian/British/Middle Eastern father.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

VagueRant posted:

You know you've made 193 posts in this thread, right?

Fair point, i take it back.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

muscles like this? posted:

I could never do something like that, it would freak me out too much being completely enclosed like that.

You can see through the eyes, it's just mesh.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dexo posted:

What's the flash mold in the background used for?

You should watch Face-Off, then you'd know these things

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Would they need to cover her entire face like that to mold a simple domino like Ollie/Roy wear, or would her mask have to be something else like Ravager's?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In a stunning turn of events, Arrow rips off Batman again when Thea is overdosed with the Renuyu compound (Japanese for "Renew You") and left for dead

overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)
Laurel's mask had an entire head thing.

Edit: I'm going to guess that Arrow gets some kind of super suit exoskeleton from Ray before the season ends. That glove looks like some ATOM tech, but it's green.

overtone fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 3, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

Would they need to cover her entire face like that to mold a simple domino like Ollie/Roy wear, or would her mask have to be something else like Ravager's?

They have to do the full face so it doesn't shift during drying, presumably.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

ghostwritingduck posted:

Merlyn has been permanently neutered as a villain. His whole plan was based on the terrible calculation that Ollie was more likely to beat Ras in a fight than he was. Follow this up with Merlyn begging Ras for his life after being captured, and there's no reason to be threatened by him. It's really unfortunate after how strong of an antagonist he was in the first season.

Also, the show hasn't given us any reason for Ras to want Ollie as a replacement. In Batman's case, Bruce has held his own against Ras before Ras was impressed. Here, Ras is impressed that Ollie held his own for 30 seconds.

Yeah, I'm afraid the show has taken a turn for the worse. The writing in this last episode was pretty bad, and everything felt rushed. The whole infiltrating Nanda Parbat thing should probably have taken half an episode or longer. In fact I think CW missed a huge opportunity to do some world-building. They could have had Ollie and Diggle explore the place, searching different rooms, coming across ancient paintings and artifacts that shed a bit more light on the League's history and who they are, etc.

Instead it was like, dodge burning arrows, shoot a few guys, go inside (uh, how did they get inside exactly...), then use some device to bee-line to Merlyn and end up chained to the floor. It was just incredibly half-assed. And then Ra's offers Ollie his place? Are you loving kidding me?

And I totally agree with you regarding Merlyn. They humanized him a lot this season, and despite Barrowman being a really good actor, I think the entire charm of his character is gone now. I know the writers are going for a "Ra's is so scary that even Merlyn breaks down in front of him!" angle, but so far we haven't seen anything Ra's has done that is particularly scary. OK, he tortures and kills people, but those aren't the types of things that should phase someone like Merlyn.

At this point I have to force myself to watch the show, especially since there are much better alternatives. The Flash is totally rocking it, and Agents of Shield has improved significantly since the second half of last season and frankly has a lot more going for it in terms of integrating with the rest of the Marvel universe.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 3, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jscolon2.0 posted:

They do full head molds because its easier to work with and they have a better idea of what the finished product would look like on a person without having to have the actor there all the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah, I'm afraid the show has taken a turn for the worse. The writing in this last episode was pretty bad, and everything felt rushed. The whole infiltrating Nanda Parbat thing should probably have taken half an episode or longer. In fact I think CW missed a huge opportunity to do some world-building. They could have had Ollie and Diggle explore the place, searching different rooms, coming across ancient paintings and artifacts that shed a bit more light on the League's history and who they are, etc.

Instead it was like, dodge burning arrows, shoot a few guys, go inside (uh, how did they get inside exactly...), then use some device to bee-line to Merlyn and end up chained to the floor. It was just incredibly half-assed. And then Ra's offers Ollie his place? Are you loving kidding me?

And I totally agree with you regarding Merlyn. They humanized him a lot this season, and despite Barrowman being a really good actor, I think the entire charm of his character is gone now. I know the writers are going for a "Ra's is so scary that even Merlyn breaks down in front of him!" angle, but so far we haven't seen anything Ra's has done that is particularly scary. OK, he tortures and kills people, but those aren't the types of things that should phase someone like Merlyn.

At this point I have to force myself to watch the show, especially since there are much better alternatives. The Flash is totally rocking it, and Agents of Shield has improved significantly since the second half of last season and frankly has a lot more going for it in terms of integrating with the rest of the Marvel universe.

Please please stop forcing yourself to watch the show.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

Please please stop forcing yourself to watch the show.

No, it's called hate-watching and I learned it from The Walking Dead thread.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

No you don't understand, hatewatching is for bad shows.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

enraged_camel posted:

So you're going to force the rest of us to hate-watch your posts? Seriously, if you don't like the show, just don't watch it. Slade is not going to kill your family and yell CHOOOOOSE at you if you watch something you actually like or go do something productive with your life in your newfound extra ~40 minutes instead.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Whizbang posted:

So you're going to force the rest of us to hate-watch your posts? Seriously, if you don't like the show, just don't watch it. Slade is not going to kill your family and yell CHOOOOOSE at you if you watch something you actually like or go do something productive with your life in your newfound extra ~40 minutes instead.

Look, do you have any specific responses to my criticisms listed above, or are you just responding to my negative tone? I thought this is a thread where we discuss the show, both the good and the bad. It's OK if you disagree with what I say but surely you have something better than "if you don't like it don't watch it"?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

This season has been worse than the previous two in my opinion. The character arcs just haven't been as compelling, the flashback stuff is the weakest its ever been and the story in general just feels a bit all over the place.

But maybe I've just gotten jaded to the whole experience. I think I was most invested in the first season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think that starting with the midseason finale and to now, the episodes have been excellent and on par with any of the previous seasons. The problem is people who have decided "show sucks now" and are cleaving to that narrative regardless of the quality of recent episodes.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

enraged_camel posted:

surely you have something better than "if you don't like it don't watch it"?

This is real funny in the context of your red text.

For what it's worth, the infiltration scene did feel like an anticlimax, though a bullshit fanservice-y history lesson definitely wouldn't have improved it.

This season hasn't been as interesting as the first two, but that's mostly because I had hoped it would go in a different direction than what we got.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

Why? No one gives a poo poo about world building outside of a very small subset of fans, and anything they discover now makes something they have to accommodate later as well as taking up budget for different sets and props that can never be reused for anything ever.

enraged_camel posted:

I don't think this is the show for you. They pretty clearly walked in the front door or in one of the many many window entrances once they killed the exterior guards (who were, given Ras's offer, pretty clearly on the poo poo list and expected to fail which also explains why there were so few of them).

enraged_camel posted:

He kicked the poo poo out of Ollie without even trying, has more people and resources available than Merlyn, and nothing Merlyn can understand as scruples. Every other opponent Merlyn has dealt with has lacked at least one, often more than one, which is all that let Merlyn win. Since he's a self-serving rear end in a top hat who doesn't want to die or suffer any consequences for his actions, why wouldn't he be terrified of the guy? Oh, and also knows more about Merlyn than anyone and probably has a very detailed understanding of how to break him.

enraged_camel posted:

At this point I have to force myself to watch the show, especially since there are much better alternatives.
Then stop. Apparently you need to be handheld through everything, and they aren't going to do that for a whole bunch of reasons.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I honestly think the main problem with this season is Oliver Queen, Laurel Lance, and Roy Harper no longer exist. The show is just they are nothing but heroes 24/7 now with nothing outside of that.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

I think that starting with the midseason finale and to now, the episodes have been excellent and on par with any of the previous seasons. The problem is people who have decided "show sucks now" and are cleaving to that narrative regardless of the quality of recent episodes.

You can recognize problems with a show and still like it. Really, it's possible. Especially when, according to you, only 7 out of 15 aired episodes have been on par with previous seasons.

enraged_camel posted:

and Agents of Shield has improved significantly since the second half of last season and frankly has a lot more going for it in terms of integrating with the rest of the Marvel universe.
Are people really still blowing Agents of Shield because they paid lip service to a plotline from Cap2?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 3, 2015

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

greatn posted:

I honestly think the main problem with this season is Oliver Queen, Laurel Lance, and Roy Harper no longer exist. The show is just they are nothing but heroes 24/7 now with nothing outside of that.

False. Laurel has done plenty of lawyering this season. Only Ollie and Roy are bums. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Season 1 wasn't as good as you remember.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eNeMeE posted:

He kicked the poo poo out of Ollie without even trying, has more people and resources available than Merlyn, and nothing Merlyn can understand as scruples. Every other opponent Merlyn has dealt with has lacked at least one, often more than one, which is all that let Merlyn win. Since he's a self-serving rear end in a top hat who doesn't want to die or suffer any consequences for his actions, why wouldn't he be terrified of the guy? Oh, and also knows more about Merlyn than anyone and probably has a very detailed understanding of how to break him.

Exactly. This is where Merlyn's entire rationale breaks down.

If Merlyn is so afraid of Ra's, and yet can effortlessly defeat both Ollie and Thea (followed by berating Ollie about how he's bad at swordfighting), then how exactly does it follow that he sent Ollie to duel Ra's and kill him to save his own skin? He explicitly said that was his reason: that he hoped Ollie would kill Ra's. But why would he send an archer to fight a swordsman with literally centuries of experience? The reason is simple: the producers really, really wanted a badass duel between Ra's and Ollie, and the writers manufactured one in an extremely hamfisted, lazy way.

The characters are entertaining to watch in single episodes, but holistically their actions and words don't paint a coherent picture. The story this season is all over the place.

eNeMeE posted:

Then stop. Apparently you need to be handheld through everything, and they aren't going to do that for a whole bunch of reasons.

On the contrary, what I'm asking for is the exact opposite: deep characters, meaningful dialogue, quality writing, and characters whose motivations and plans aren't explicitly spelled out for everyone. That's what made Merlyn an interesting character in Season 1. He is no longer interesting.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 3, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

You can recognize problems with a show and still like it. Really, it's possible. Especially when, according to you, only 7 out of 15 aired episodes have been on par with previous seasons.

Are people really still blowing Agents of Shield because they paid lip service to a plotline from Cap2?

Yeah but we're talking about a guy who said he hates the show now but still wants to subject us to his Hot Takes from week to week.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Just because the show isn't as good as the height of Slade Wilson CHOOOOOOOSE doesn't mean it's bad.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

zoux posted:

Yeah but we're talking about a guy who said he hates the show now but still wants to subject us to his Hot Takes from week to week.

Is Occupation still around? They should start a thread together.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

zoux posted:

I said I hate-watch it as a joke. The show is still decent, just nowhere as good as it was. FWIW, a lot of people seem to agree.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

On the contrary, what I'm asking for is the exact opposite: deep characters, meaningful dialogue, quality writing, and characters whose motivations and plans aren't explicitly spelled out for everyone. That's what made Merlyn an interesting character in Season 1. He is no longer interesting.

enraged_camel posted:

The whole infiltrating Nanda Parbat thing should probably have taken half an episode or longer. In fact I think CW missed a huge opportunity to do some world-building. They could have had Ollie and Diggle explore the place, searching different rooms, coming across ancient paintings and artifacts that shed a bit more light on the League's history and who they are, etc.

(uh, how did they get inside exactly...)

device to bee-line to Merlyn

OK, he tortures and kills people, but those aren't the types of things that should phase someone like Merlyn.
Why should it take longer than a few scenes to establish "we chewed through some bad guys and entered through any of the giant gaping holes in the building, and how dare they re-use a device they previously used for exactly this purpose?

How are you not seeing that what you're asking for is to have motivations explicitly spelled out? Merlyn is a liar. You can't see any reason the person who wants to control Thea's life could have for getting Ollie killed?

enraged_camel posted:

At this point I have to force myself to watch the show

enraged_camel posted:

I said I hate-watch it as a joke.
Make up your mind.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I like this show. I think it's been more "busy" and less focused this season but I still enjoy it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Exactly. This is where Merlyn's entire rationale breaks down.

If Merlyn is so afraid of Ra's, and yet can effortlessly defeat both Ollie and Thea (followed by berating Ollie about how he's bad at swordfighting), then how exactly does it follow that he sent Ollie to duel Ra's and kill him to save his own skin? He explicitly said that was his reason: that he hoped Ollie would kill Ra's. But why would he send an archer to fight a swordsman with literally centuries of experience? The reason is simple: the producers really, really wanted a badass duel between Ra's and Ollie, and the writers manufactured one in an extremely hamfisted, lazy way.

The characters are entertaining to watch in single episodes, but holistically their actions and words don't paint a coherent picture. The story this season is all over the place.

A fugitive traitor is unlikely to get the right to challenge Ra's to a one on one like Ollie did.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm okay with the show, I just wish the main character stopped being so loving unlikable. I also wish Merlyn had not reappeared because he's gone down the drain now, but oh well. At least Thea is really cool now because she goes against this series' drat need of SECRETS and actually tells people poo poo.

Also this series has Diggle and no series with Diggle can be a bad series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

eNeMeE posted:

Why should it take longer than a few scenes to establish "we chewed through some bad guys and entered through any of the giant gaping holes in the building, and how dare they re-use a device they previously used for exactly this purpose?

Because Nanda Parbat has been mentioned several times throughout Season 2 and Season 3, mostly with reverence, as a mystical and legendary place where one of the world's foremost assassin groups is based.

If you don't see why the last episode's infiltration was extremely anti-climactic in light of all that set up... I don't know what to tell you.

quote:

How are you not seeing that what you're asking for is to have motivations explicitly spelled out? Merlyn is a liar. You can't see any reason the person who wants to control Thea's life could have for getting Ollie killed?

Um, he's more than capable of killing Ollie himself, and do it in a way that doesn't implicate him.

Your thinking is as lazy as that of the show's writing at this point.

quote:

Make up your mind.

Yeah, I force myself to watch it not in the sense that I *hate* it, but in the sense that it's not terribly interesting at the moment. Like, if I have a spare hour to kill, and I've already watched everything else for that week, then I'll go watch The Arrow, and even then I'll get distracted in the middle and take a break and go do other things. It has become lower and lower in my priority list.

• Locked thread