Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

William Bear posted:

Jihadi John or ISIS's leader al-Bagdhadi haven't been built up as "THE ULTIMATE BAD GUY" the way Bin Laden was. Such a move could be seen as Democrats making them out to be bigger villains than they really were.

I dunno, from what I've seen from mainstream media outlets like CNN lately, they've been building up ISIS a lot, particularly this "Jihad John" guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

QwertyAsher posted:

He's dumb, but he doesn't strike me as particularly assertive or stalwart in the face of adversity. I figure he'll hang on until super tuesday, see his pittance, and go home.

My call is Jeb, Cruz, and Rubio hanging out for the long haul

I think Rubio will bow out early once it's clear he's going nowhere, but Jeb will stay in (because he's probably got the best chances) as will Cruz (because he's a narcissistic rear end in a top hat).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

There is no possible scenario that could lead to the Democrats taking back the House in 2016. Sorry.

I don't have any expectations of that happening or even any significant gains being made prior to 2020. I'm looking at the possibility of maybe the Senate, some small gains in the House based on coattails, and the GOP just going apeshit while Hillary spends an hour on the television daily scolding them like the bratty losers they have been.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I think Rubio will bow out early once it's clear he's going nowhere, but Jeb will stay in (because he's probably got the best chances) as will Cruz (because he's a narcissistic rear end in a top hat).
I'd like to see Cruz attempt a brokered convention, then go off and run TEA as a thirdparty. I'd buy a lot of popcorn if that were to happen :jerky:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Jeb has the best chance to win the nomination but Marco Rubio is the only one who would have a genuine shot at winning the General.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I'd like to see Cruz attempt a brokered convention, then go off and run TEA as a thirdparty. I'd buy a lot of popcorn if that were to happen :jerky:

Me too. It'd put the Paulshevik's insurrection-attempt in 2012 in the shade.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Jeb has the best chance to win the nomination but Marco Rubio is the only one who would have a genuine shot at winning the General.

Rubio's a dead letter in the primary as long as immigration remains a key issue with the party, which will remain the case as long as Obama's executive actions and position on DREAM stand.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Rubio's a dead letter in the primary as long as immigration remains a key issue with the party, which will remain the case as long as Obama's executive actions and position on DREAM stand.
On the other hand, Jeb Bush could very well implode, and then it would be between Rubio and Cruz.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

On the other hand, Jeb Bush could very well implode, and then it would be between Rubio and Cruz.

If that happened early enough, I suspect more of the nuts, kooks, and also-rans would become more viable, if only as the only Adult in the Room had departed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
One thing that's going to suck no matter who wins the election: we'll be missing out on some of the goofier POTUS actions as of late (Turnip for what, Selfie Sticks, YoLo), because the winner will go back to being some old-rear end remnant from the 50s.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

If that happened early enough, I suspect more of the nuts, kooks, and also-rans would become more viable, if only as the only Adult in the Room had departed.
And Rubio would trounce all of them by virtue of being the only electable one. Which he still is.
Jeb Bush is unelectable, barring catastrophe like a terrorist attack.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I find it completely impossible to fathom that a third bush could get elected. THere is no way that America would even consider the brother of the most disastrous president in most people 35 and unders life. Right? :ohdear:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

And Rubio would trounce all of them by virtue of being the only electable one. Which he still is.
Jeb Bush is unelectable, barring catastrophe like a terrorist attack.

Even if Jeb drops, I don't see how Rubio could scrounge enough support to fend off attacks from Cruz et al on immigration, particularly if the GOP continues its current temper tantrum on that front.

Ramadu posted:

I find it completely impossible to fathom that a third bush could get elected. THere is no way that America would even consider the brother of the most disastrous president in most people 35 and unders life. Right? :ohdear:

Oh you sweet, innocent fool.
I mean yeah, I doubt Jeb has a chance, but then again the GOP crashed the government and then retook the Senate despite that and other enormities. Past horrendous disasters don't always taint as much as they ought.

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 2, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This is Hillary's race to lose and that will be the case for the next 20 months.

Thanks to Martha Coakley, this is now the sort of statement that worries me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I mean yeah, I doubt Jeb has a chance, but then again the GOP crashed the government and then retook the Senate despite that and other enormities. Past horrendous disasters don't always taint as much as they ought.
You really can't say anything when it comes to the GOP. Especially after W decided a Greatest Hits of NeoCon figures was the best way to go assembling his A team...

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I would fuckin' die laughing if Rubio really did get run over with immigration by an immigrant who came over and shut the gov't off.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

GalacticAcid posted:

Senator Mikulski (D-MD) will not be seeking reelection.

Smart money has O'Malley dropping his presidential bid to try for her seat.

Too bad, the dems really could use a ready for prime time, clean suit to offer at least a token, Bill Bradley level, competition to Hillary.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Even if Jeb drops, I don't see how Rubio could scrounge enough support to fend off attacks from Cruz et al on immigration, particularly if the GOP continues its current temper tantrum on that front.
Cruz isn't just going to hit Rubio. He's going to hit loving everyone. The worry will not be being called "too moderate" by Ted Cruz. It will be Ted Cruz calling you "a real conservative."

As for Walker, I'll say it again: the objective fact that his policies in Wisconsin have failed, and that he has absolutely zero political rhetorical skills to defend them with, make him not just unelectable, but toxic. His governorship is a direct challenge to the old maxim that conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed. Thus Scott Walker will be portrayed by people on all sides of the spectrum as a failure of a political leader. I honestly believe he's going to lose re-election in 2016.

Everyone else is already a joke.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Oh you sweet, innocent fool.
Completely different situation.

1. Hillary is a competent politician and can control a narrative.
2. There is nothing that would get young people out to vote more than the possibility of a third Bush.
3. Centrist view in America concerning Congrss consists of "BOTH SIDES ARE DUMB IDIOTS WHO NEED TO STOP FIGHTING OVER EVERYTHING AND LEARN TO COMPROMISE" Centrist view in America concerning Bush is "national embarrassment keep him the gently caress away from government"

A third Bush is an impossibility. If the GOP had any brains at all they'd put ZERO money behind Jeb and find someone actually electable.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

GalacticAcid posted:

Senator Mikulski (D-MD) will not be seeking reelection.

Smart money has O'Malley dropping his presidential bid to try for her seat.

He'd have to climb over a lot of other contenders, and Brown's tanking didn't reflect well on him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

As for Walker, I'll say it again: the objective fact that his policies in Wisconsin have failed, and that he has absolutely zero political rhetorical skills to defend them with, make him not just unelectable, but toxic. His governorship is a direct challenge to the old maxim that conservatism cannot fail, it can only be failed. Thus Scott Walker will be portrayed by people on all sides of the spectrum as a failure of a political leader. I honestly believe he's going to lose re-election in 2016.

Walker was re-elected in November. He's our Governor until at least 2018.

Yes, the people of the State of Wisconsin have voted Scott Walker to be their Governor literally three times in four years.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I just can't imagine 2016 topping 2012 or 2008. Remember Joe the Plumber? That poo poo was like two decades worth of election hilarity in one year

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I just can't imagine 2016 topping 2012 or 2008. Remember Joe the Plumber? That poo poo was like two decades worth of election hilarity in one year

Yes, but keep in mind the GOP will actually choose a nominee in 2016 and what they have to choose from is the definition of :allears:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Whatever happened to people thinking Rob Portman was semi-viable, or at least not an idiot? Or did people just throw him in the :geno: category with Pawlenty?

E: Ah apparently he announced he's running for a second senate term back in December

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Two hispanics?

I doubt it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Real Name Grover posted:

Whatever happened to people thinking Rob Portman was semi-viable, or at least not an idiot? Or did people just throw him in the :geno: category with Pawlenty?

E: Ah apparently he announced he's running for a second senate term back in December

I don't think I've ever heard of him. I suppose a Republican too bland to make themselves known through stupidity/hatefulness would be able to stand a better chance with the wider voting public, even though it'd be impossible for them to win the primary.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Nintendo Kid posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of him. I suppose a Republican too bland to make themselves known through stupidity/hatefulness would be able to stand a better chance with the wider voting public, even though it'd be impossible for them to win the primary.

Also famously pro-gay marriage. He changed his mind after his son came out to him a few years ago.

I don't think a Republican can run for president while pro gay marriage right now. After all, it wasn't possible for a Democrat until 2012.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

William Bear posted:

Also famously pro-gay marriage. He changed his mind after his son came out to him a few years ago.

I don't think a Republican can run for president while pro gay marriage right now. After all, it wasn't possible for a Democrat until 2012.

He's also pretty much guaranteed that seat given the Ohio dems' recent history of fielding non-candidates for statewide offices. I firmly believe he only won in 2010 because they kneecapped Jennifer Brunner in the primary and ran goddamn loving Lee Fisher instead. Okay, it was 2010 and he probably would have won anyway but still goddamn, gently caress you Ohio dems.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I had forgotten he had a gay son.

Seriously though, what a field. Maybe Huntsman is bored or something. I just have this bad feeling the GOP is going to find their Bill Clinton outside of their current roster of lousy potentials.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

gently caress you Ohio dems.

Too soon, man.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Nintendo Kid posted:

Portman's "code name" in the Romney veep selection committee was "Filet-o-Fish" he was that boring.

Even though Portman has announced he's not running, boring candidates like Walker (and I don't think conservatives find him boring at all) can still do fine; see Mitt Romney and Bob Dole. Intellectually challenged candidates can do fine too, in the party that gave us Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. Walker's problem, if he has one, is that just about everyone involved in the political organization that put him in the Governor's mansion has been charged with a crime, yet curiously he knew nothing about all these crimes his campaign was doing. It's hard to believe that if there was something to be found it wouldn't have been found already, but behavior like that has the tendency to continue, so who knows what will be dug up when the real opposition researchers start digging.

Right now, there are only three Republicans who've staffed up a serious organization: Bush, Rand, and Walker. Of those three, Walker is the only one whose policies are entirely within the party orthodoxy, to the point where he is the party orthodoxy. Obviously nothing's even close to over yet, but don't mistake him for an unserious candidate.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Johnny Cash?

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
^ - Haha no.

Real Name Grover posted:

Too soon, man.

You're right, of course, you're right. :911:

Joementum posted:

Portman's "code name" in the Romney veep selection committee was "Filet-o-Fish" he was that boring.

It does take me a while to remember my state has a senator besides Sherrod Brown.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gnarlyhotep posted:

Johnny Cash?

Despite its reputation, Ohio is not, in fact, an open-air prison.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I would put money on a high level Republican politician making a gaffe by bringing up either the possibility of PMS or menopause as an attack against Clinton thereby demonstrating a complete lack of understanding physiology.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Oh it will, the Republican clown car will grow every election until you have a new "front runner" every 2 weeks. There will be only 1 debate in the primary consisting of 32 different candidates who communicate only by saying "Reagan" in varying tones of voice. The nominee will be chosen via a open source online poll powered by bitcoins, the convention will be just thousands of people in Reagan masks all posing for pictures with each other.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Venom Snake posted:

The nominee will be chosen via a open source online poll

Finally, a contest the Pauls can win.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Finally, a contest the Pauls can win.

Only if it isn't being surreptitiously run by Wall Street interests trying to draft their guy as president.

a rowdy mullet
Feb 12, 2009
Well this probably isn't good (via nytimes) :stare:

Hillary Clinton’s Use of Private Email at State Department Raises Flags

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Oh wow. 4 years as Secretary of State, she never had an official email address? That is very odd.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

William Bear posted:

Oh wow. 4 years as Secretary of State, she never had an official email address? That is very odd.

I could chalk it up to an old person thing but depending on who hosts her personal address she's probably committed a pretty serious breach of protocol for handling classified information.

E: emphasis on protocol, this is the kind of poo poo that gets security clearances revoked

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Hillary Clinton is going to be such a weak general election candidate, and it's really frustrating that there's no viable primary challenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is something that will only be on the radar for politicos and partisans, but it's a big deal if you're the person who has to schedule hearing rooms for Jason Chaffetz or Trey Gowdy. Your job just got a whole lot busier.

• Locked thread