Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I have two U/D staircases atop each other, and I deconstruct the lower one, can creatures climb down from above? If I put a wall in place, can they move diagonally to adjacent spots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Subjunctive posted:

If I have two U/D staircases atop each other, and I deconstruct the lower one, can creatures climb down from above? If I put a wall in place, can they move diagonally to adjacent spots?

yes and yes, I believe.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
how this stagnant water business work exactly? only a little bit of stagnant water make good water into stagnant? and what about vomit and blood? all these three elements on a floor I intended to fill with water.

e: also I was probably mistaken about the goblins making trading agreements, there is actually a dwarven caravan.

program666 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 3, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I've had U/D stairway APPARENTLY adjoining rock below it, but if there is diagonal access to air/empty space, stuff can get in there. I had a gang of troglodytes CLIMB ACROSS THE CAVERN CEILING and get in through that diagonal crack.

e: Because I have ~3000 gold bars now, I've decided to pave over the volcano caldera with gold bars :shepspends:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Mar 3, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I managed to wrangle a caged bear off of the elves last time they came through. How do I go about training it into a war bear? I see it in the animal screen, it's still in its cage, and I've got it selected to be trained as a war animal, but it's not happening.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I managed to wrangle a caged bear off of the elves last time they came through. How do I go about training it into a war bear? I see it in the animal screen, it's still in its cage, and I've got it selected to be trained as a war animal, but it's not happening.

You need to designate an animal training zone, and a dwarf with the animal training labor.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Nietzschean posted:

You need to designate an animal training zone, and a dwarf with the animal training labor.

I'm able to train war dogs just fine, so that should theoretically mean I've got everything set up, right? Does the bear need to be pastured where the dogs are first?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If the cage is in a pen zone, it acts fruity. Don't build cages inside pen zones. Also let the bear out of the cage, it doesn't have to be pastured anywhere.

An odd caveat with constructed stairs: if you constructed an U/D stair on a surface, i.e. not over empty space, and then you deconstruct the stair, the tile remains floored, which was not what I expected.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Flesh Forge posted:

If the cage is in a pen zone, it acts fruity. Don't build cages inside pen zones. Also let the bear out of the cage, it doesn't have to be pastured anywhere.

I see. I had bought the cage and bear from the elves, so it wasn't sitting in the pasture thankfully. Another question though is that I've built a ton of zinc chains and assigned a bunch of war dogs to them, but they don't seem to be sticking to the chains very well. If this because they're assigned to their dog pasture? Should I unassign them from said pasture if I plan on chaining them?

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize there were just 2 dwarves doing the chaining and it's taking them a while.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 3, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Nothing should ever come off a built chain, except a building destroyer. Even caged invaders can be assigned to chains, although that has the fairly major downside that you can't get the invader back into a cage and he'll begin to scare your noncombatants. Fine for training archers though!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So... Crap. I went and played with the autodump command and of course, I pull a stupid and accidentally dump my whole food supply and all my pots. I unforbid everything, but my dwarves only pulled the empty pots into the generic item stockpile, and left all the food outside on the ground. I removed the stockpile that the food is sitting on, but no one seems to want to haul it back to the kitchen area. What do I do now?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

So... Crap. I went and played with the autodump command and of course, I pull a stupid and accidentally dump my whole food supply and all my pots. I unforbid everything, but my dwarves only pulled the empty pots into the generic item stockpile, and left all the food outside on the ground. I removed the stockpile that the food is sitting on, but no one seems to want to haul it back to the kitchen area. What do I do now?
Autodump the food back into your food storage area?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yes, just dump it all again, just note you have to reclaim it all first.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

They let stuff on the ground for a while but if you have barrels they will surely use them afterwards, it just takes a while

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Zereth posted:

Autodump the food back into your food storage area?
I just did that, but I'm done for the night so hopefully it'll all sort itself out tomorrow.

Flesh Forge posted:

Yes, just dump it all again, just note you have to reclaim it all first.
Is this the same as going into the stocks list and unforbidding it all there? Because I did that, and I want to make sure that that's the best way to do it.

program666 posted:

They let stuff on the ground for a while but if you have barrels they will surely use them afterwards, it just takes a while
I've got probably close to 100 rock pots that everything was sitting in. All those pots were moved into the general stockpile after i dumped everything by mistake. After a little while though, they should start pulling the pots back out and using the for food, right?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

I just did that, but I'm done for the night so hopefully it'll all sort itself out tomorrow.

Is this the same as going into the stocks list and unforbidding it all there? Because I did that, and I want to make sure that that's the best way to do it.
You should be able to just reclaim the area of the one square everything is sitting on now for the same effect.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I'd do it with d-b-c on that tile.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It may be good to set a 1 tile food stockpile right under the heap of food. That will prevent it from rotting before your dwarfs get around to putting it away.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got probably close to 100 rock pots that everything was sitting in. All those pots were moved into the general stockpile after i dumped everything by mistake. After a little while though, they should start pulling the pots back out and using the for food, right?
If you have a stockpile and available pots they will use it, I just noticed that for fresh new stockpile they put everything on the ground first. Just remove whatever dump or forbidden flags that could be either on the food or the pots and create a food stockpile.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I stopped my current world at the point in which a human liaison shows up. Trick is he's a vampire. My immediate reaction is to straight up kill him and possibly insight a war wit the humans (I need more invasions anyway), but I'm open to some suggestions on how to move forward with it.

Strangely enough, the Fogwall LP had a similar human liaison come through that has been used to some extent.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

program666 posted:

e: also I was probably mistaken about the goblins making trading agreements, there is actually a dwarven caravan.

Your liaisons can totes be goblins. There's no racial restrictions on that position.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I have a one tile pit over a 3x3 empty space the floor below, over a closed off room the floor below that. Pitting and everything goes without a problem but sometimes my dwarves will climb/jump down the hole after pitting a caged creature.

I thought it was to recover bodies or death items, but nothing was dead (yet) nor were there items on the ground. The only way to (for now at least) stop it happening was to close off the top pit room with a door, not even locked or anything, which for some reason stopped the jumping down.

What's up with that?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

scamtank posted:

Your liaisons can totes be goblins. There's no racial restrictions on that position.

I once had a demon as a liason. It was really weird.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Neurion posted:

I once had a demon as a liason. It was really weird.

They're fine as long as they don't excrete anything. I lost a fortress to a demon liason who deposited a 100% lethal syndrome all over the place.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

canepazzo posted:

I have a one tile pit over a 3x3 empty space the floor below, over a closed off room the floor below that. Pitting and everything goes without a problem but sometimes my dwarves will climb/jump down the hole after pitting a caged creature.

I thought it was to recover bodies or death items, but nothing was dead (yet) nor were there items on the ground. The only way to (for now at least) stop it happening was to close off the top pit room with a door, not even locked or anything, which for some reason stopped the jumping down.

What's up with that?

After the pit creature task is complete, dwarves realize HOLY loving poo poo LOOSE CREATURE and try to go get the loose creature and put it back into a cage. Drop them farther so dwarves are not prone to try to go retrieve them.

Also, son of a bitch archery targets are janky.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

scamtank posted:

rrrRREPORT MARSCH MARSCH

:radcat:

There was also a FotF update on Friday.

I still think Notch should make Toady a trust fund or something. The games an institution amongst indy games and some of these rich fatcats should pony up and fund the crazy

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Say I capture a bunch of cave crocodiles or something. Is there a way I can strap laser beams put them in a pit that I can throw prisoners in? Will wild animals attack goblins?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hihohe posted:

Say I capture a bunch of cave crocodiles or something. Is there a way I can strap laser beams put them in a pit that I can throw prisoners in? Will wild animals attack goblins?

You could always try taming them first, that'll probably help your odds of success.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Actual goddamn unicorns on my embark, are you making GBS threads me?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently if you make mixed types of ammo, both metal and wood/bone, and try to restrict ammo usage based on material type, it can gently caress up archery targets, which in my case it has. I've tried tinkering with all the settings of everything and at best, a couple of dudes shoot a small number of arrows once and then never do it again. About the only thing I haven't done is deconstruct the targets and rebuild them, although maybe I just haven't waited long enough? :confused:

program666
Aug 22, 2013

One thing I notice about targets is that making the room encompassing other targets won't work anymore, my dwarfs only shoot the one target I used to make the room. IIRC you used to be able to make the target practice room using a single target then expand the room over the other targets and they would use all of them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeah I've tried that both ways, with each target bound by walls and in an open space, and I have the same basic problem. Maybe I haven't waited long enough, I dunno :shrug:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Wait, you guys arent making each target it's own room? Even if they overlap, everything I saw when trying to set up archers told me to make each target a separate room/archery range. This doesn't mean they have to be physically separated, just all individually designated. See the pictures I posted a couple days ago, which i would repost if I werent on a phone right now.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

For a moment I actually had four guys all shooting at overlapping targets, but then they ran out of ammo, refilled and never went back :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StrangeAeon posted:

You'll have that in Savage + Good biomes.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Wait, you guys arent making each target it's own room? Even if they overlap, everything I saw when trying to set up archers told me to make each target a separate room/archery range. This doesn't mean they have to be physically separated, just all individually designated. See the pictures I posted a couple days ago, which i would repost if I werent on a phone right now.

not need, I just think I remember you usually didn't need to do that, but I could be wrong, it was a long time ago.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

To my knowledge it has always been the case that you need to do that

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You should all be using separate lanes for archery ranges for the simple reason that it looks better than a dull line of targets in a dull square room.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

You should all be using separate lanes for archery ranges for the simple reason that it looks better than a dull line of targets in a dull square room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

StrangeAeon posted:

rejoice, their horns are quite deadly but their meat is one of the highest-valued. They also produce a fair amount of meat per kill.