Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will the Nightly Show be like?
This poll is closed.
A news parody, like the Daily Show 15 13.27%
A pundit satire, like the Colbert Report 7 6.19%
Something else entirely 91 80.53%
Total: 113 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

raditts posted:

I wouldn't get my hopes up, he plugged that this episode was coming at the end of the black fatherhood episode. I'm sure Monday's episode will be at least mostly back to being groanworthy.
I do like that he's scaled back the Keep It 100 bullshit though, so maybe there's hope yet.

What is the keep it 100 stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Pillowpants posted:

What is the keep it 100 stuff?

The last segment of most episodes so far, where he goes around the table asking each panelist a joke gotcha question.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.
I just want informative jokes. I skipped the interviews for the Daily Show and the Colbert Report and the Nightly Show is basically an episode long multi person interview. I don't really care for Larry either. I don't like his delivery.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Soylentbits posted:

I just want informative jokes. I skipped the interviews for the Daily Show and the Colbert Report and the Nightly Show is basically an episode long multi person interview. I don't really care for Larry either. I don't like his delivery.

Then it sounds like you shouldn't watch.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I guess Conan showing up is the only reason I thought of this, but I guess Andy Richter is out? Besides, having him for a host seems to be comedy's viking funeral.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

You can count Craig Ferguson out (if he was ever considered).

http://www.avclub.com/article/craig-ferguson-star-recluse-abcs-king-7b-215915

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

raditts posted:

I wouldn't get my hopes up, he plugged that this episode was coming at the end of the black fatherhood episode.
I'm not basing it off of the black women episode (though it was amazing), I'm basing it off the week. It's progressing. It's not there yet, but it's trying.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

I agree. This week showed a lot of improvement.

Getting rid of (for the most part) Keep It 100 showed they're not too rigid to refuse adapting.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually bailed on the Nightly Show this week. It was just starting to feel like a chore to me.

I guess I'll give it another shot next week and see if its improved. It just didn't seem like it was really rounding it for me and each episode I was feeling less and less interested in waiting.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I'm interested in space stuff, so I think it's probably a pretty damning indictment that if I heard that the Daily show or Colbert were doing a piece about space I'd be excited, but when I heard the Nightly Show was doing it I dreaded the ill--informed result. I wasn't disappointed either: Mars One is never going to happen, and it would have been nice if there had been anyone there who could have mentioned that.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I think one of the things that really annoys me about Larry Wilmore is he doesn't commit to his jokes. Frequently he'll tell a bad joke one of his writers wrote, and then he'll play it off by saying "that's terrible" or "jk I didn't mean it".

Also whenever the crowd chants his name at the beginning it seems to really annoy him, he just wants them to shut up and let him get to his lame monologue. The crowd shouldn't be chanting his name anyway because he doesn't deserve it.

gently caress you Larry.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Comrade Fakename posted:

I'm interested in space stuff, so I think it's probably a pretty damning indictment that if I heard that the Daily show or Colbert were doing a piece about space I'd be excited, but when I heard the Nightly Show was doing it I dreaded the ill--informed result. I wasn't disappointed either: Mars One is never going to happen, and it would have been nice if there had been anyone there who could have mentioned that.

The space episode was the first time I had to shut the episode off in the middle because a bunch of people trying to guilt a woman for leaving her family behind to join the Mars mission was incredibly uncomfortable and also kind of pointless. I don't know what anyone was hoping to accomplish by doing that on a comedy show.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Jon is the best. :allears:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Jon is the best. :allears:

And obviously he brought his own writers, too.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Obama isn't going to ever have to veto poo poo cos these guys are too loving dumb to ever pass anything.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I'm glad he's playing this Inhofe clip, because that guy might well be the biggest piece of poo poo in the Senate, and boy is that saying something.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

"durr it sure is cold so much for global warming lol!" is a level of loving stupidity and ignorance exceeded only by anti-vaxxers.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I mean, I know I shouldn't get angry at this poo poo, but I genuinely get angry at this poo poo.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

"There's 'only' a 40% percent chance that last year was the hottest year ever loving recorded."

Like holy poo poo, that should be alarming to normal people. What about the odds that it was in the top two? Top five? That's still loving serious. Idiots like him are going to be the death of the human race.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Hazo posted:

"There's 'only' a 40% percent chance that last year was the hottest year ever loving recorded."

Idiots like him are going to be the death of the human race.

Kinda hard to blame him, the real idiots are the voters.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Gonna say the same thing I said about this last year-- You hear conservatives talk all the time about being the party of charity and morality, yet you don't see any huge events like this coming from that side.

Winkie01 posted:

Kinda hard to blame him, the real idiots are the voters.
Not that hard. Lie a bunch to get backers to get into office, continue lying once you're there to convince dumb voters to keep you in power. :words: "But both sides do it!" yeah sure but don't act like lying about science, welfare, and health care isn't significantly more destructive to people.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Hazo posted:

Gonna say the same thing I said about this last year-- You hear conservatives talk all the time about being the party of charity and morality, yet you don't see any huge events like this coming from that side.

lmao if you think the people that vote for them are any less transparently moral than they are.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The reason that nothing is getting done about climate change is that it's already too late to do anything to measurably stop the domino effect, and the people most responsible or most capable of doing anything to mitigate at least *some* of it know they're going to be dead before they ever see the most dire consequences of their (and their predecessor's) actions. They know they're going to die warm, well-fed, wealthy, and comfortable - gently caress everyone else.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Mar 3, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The problem I have with Wilmore is not just that his delivery is strained and his lack of commitment to his jokes, but the substance and angle he takes on issues is really conventional and doesn't have any punch to it at all. None of his observations rise above the most obvious jokes, and he doesn't offer a perspective that's interesting or different from the standard CNN news pundit. Even on mediocre episodes of The Daily Show, the segments have something to say that has some kind of perspective or thesis.

The reason people dislike the "keep it 100" segments is that there's all this sizzle but no steak; there's no real content or point to it beyond studio audience participation. His guests are given these loaded questions, but they aren't exactly as challenging as he seems to think they are. Most of it is buildup of "whoah-oh! We are about to go into some really edgy and difficult territory!" only to have it whiff entirely.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

It doesn't help that Larry isn't really hosting a show so much as he is moderating a panel of people, not all of whom are going to give funny answers. It's aiming to be a serious debate show as well as something that makes you laugh, and it regularly fails at doing both of those things. I'm going to keep pointing at Crossballs as a better example of a funny debate show, because even though the concept meant that it was going to live on borrowed time, it was consistently funny. I'm also doing this because nobody remembers Crossballs.

I stopped watching The Nightly Show after its second week on the air, but apparently it's still fresh enough to have Bill de Blasio come on as one of the panelists. I don't know how Larry does it.

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
I just want to watch the Correspondent segments where they trap terrible politicians/industry leaders in their lies and embarrass the everliving gently caress out of them.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Here is the full video of Jon on RAW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn-iHzOZk2M

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Y-Hat posted:

It doesn't help that Larry isn't really hosting a show so much as he is moderating a panel of people, not all of whom are going to give funny answers. It's aiming to be a serious debate show as well as something that makes you laugh, and it regularly fails at doing both of those things. I'm going to keep pointing at Crossballs as a better example of a funny debate show, because even though the concept meant that it was going to live on borrowed time, it was consistently funny. I'm also doing this because nobody remembers Crossballs.

I stopped watching The Nightly Show after its second week on the air, but apparently it's still fresh enough to have Bill de Blasio come on as one of the panelists. I don't know how Larry does it.

There actually wasn't a panel, it was just two segments of him interviewing de Blasio. I lost interest about halfway through so I'm not sure if that makes it worse than a panel or not, but at least they're trying different things.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I enjoyed the whole interview because Bill de Blasio rules and is still on my shrinking list of politicians I still like.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

That may be so, just that I find talk show interviews boring in general and Larry's pretty boring even by that standard.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think there are a lot of issues with them going to the panel format.

1. Not dynamic in appearance. They have a few camera angles, and a few close-ups. It's visually very boring which brings me to
2. Lack of graphics. The use of graphics in Daily Show and Colbert are jokes of some kind. A pun, a visual gag, etc. It adds to the density of humor.
3. Pacing is too slow in panels, not dynamic enough and not entertaining enough. I really think it should be The Daily Show w/ a focus on minority issues or less heard of stories.
4. I feel that way because I think that a single topic is both too much for a show that is 22 min in length to tackle, and has too little time to pull out good jokes. Last Week Tonight has a few stories before concentrating on their big story, and that's usually something that isn't the hot issue at the time. They also have days to write the script instead of bullshit experts or C-Tier comedians who may or may not know anything going into the studio an hour before taping.

They really do need to just completely re-tool it but unfortunately I think they'll silently can it after the first season :(

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

They really do need to just completely re-tool it but unfortunately I think they'll silently can it after the first season :(

I'm not sure even a complete overhaul could save it, honestly. Larry clearly wasn't the right choice to be host, and honestly I felt that way when I first heard he would be host. They probably should just cancel it and go back to the drawing board to come up with a new show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Between Jon leaving TDS and TNS just not being that good I think we might see Comedy Central's late night block retreat into the pre-2000s dark ages, 'cause no way is @Midnight surviving if it doesn't have those shows to anchor it.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

raditts posted:

Between Jon leaving TDS and TNS just not being that good I think we might see Comedy Central's late night block retreat into the pre-2000s dark ages, 'cause no way is @Midnight surviving if it doesn't have those shows to anchor it.

Yeah.... as I said earlier in the thread:

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Late night tv on Comedy Central is fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

It's one thing to kick a man in the balls, but at least look him in the eye when you do it.

For shame, Jon. For shame.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

"durr it sure is cold so much for global warming lol!" is a level of loving stupidity and ignorance exceeded only by anti-vaxxers.

This despite it being like the two consecutive coldest winters in DC ever or something close. lol global warming more like global cooling... oh wait, that's what climate change actually is. Look forward to more of that retarded poo poo when DC is snowed in Thursday.

The ice is so bad here I'm running out of kitty litter to throw on it, and I have a cat. Actual salt is sold out everywhere.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 4, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
You try explaining thermodynamics to someone and their eyes gloss over like trying to explain how '11' is a meaningless number on a guitar amp.

"But it's cold." "When it's extremely cold in one place, it's invariably extremely hot in another. It's like a see-saw." "But it's cold *here*."

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

It doesn't help that the layman thinks meteorology is voodoo magic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Podcasts: What are They?

Alaska: America's Newest State

NYT Style section got burned.