Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Covok posted:

I just realized something: Goku never killed anyone in the series, did he? The second before the Demon King Piccolo died from Goku's attack, Piccolo reincarnated himself with an egg. Since Kami and Piccolo are life linked, the fact Kami didn't die means that the Demon King Piccolo didn't really die. And, IIRC, the Demon King Piccolo and Ma Junior share the same memory and personality. Freeza survived Goku's kill blow and was killed by Trunks. Kid Buu did die, but was almost immediately revived as Uub so that could get a pass.

Edit: Opps, nevermind, I forgot: he killed Grandpa Gohan.

There was that one guy he fed so much energy to he exploded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheKingofSprings posted:

There was that one guy he fed so much energy to he exploded

Yeah, that was Yakon, right? Forgot about him too.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Covok posted:

I just realized something: Goku never killed anyone in the series, did he? The second before the Demon King Piccolo died from Goku's attack, Piccolo reincarnated himself with an egg. Since Kami and Piccolo are life linked, the fact Kami didn't die means that the Demon King Piccolo didn't really die. And, IIRC, the Demon King Piccolo and Ma Junior share the same memory and personality. Freeza survived Goku's kill blow and was killed by Trunks. Kid Buu did die, but was almost immediately revived as Uub so that could get a pass.

He killed the gently caress out of 3/5ths of the Ginyu Force without batting an eyelash

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Captain Oblivious posted:

He killed the gently caress out of 3/5ths of the Ginyu Force without batting an eyelash

he didn't kill Burter, Jeice, or Recoome. Vegeta killed all three of those, and Ginyu wandered away as a frog then probably died on Namek.

He did technically kill that frog though by putting it in Ginyu's mortally wounded body.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Covok posted:

Goku killed like hundreds of people as a child. He singlehandedly murders almost the entire Red Ribbon Army.

After he trains with Kami, he only kills Yakon and Kid Buu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Goku didn't technically kill Demon King Piccolo, but he sure as gently caress meant to.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

He put two guys and a rabbit on the moon expecting them to survive.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nah, that was Vegeta.

In It For The Tank posted:

Goku killed like hundreds of people as a child. He singlehandedly murders almost the entire Red Ribbon Army.

After he trains with Kami, he only kills Yakon and Kid Buu.

Did he kill people in the Red Ribbon Army? I don't remember that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Covok posted:

Nah, that was Vegeta.

I seem to remember him jumping on people's planes and making them explode, so...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Stallion Cabana posted:

he didn't kill Burter, Jeice, or Recoome. Vegeta killed all three of those, and Ginyu wandered away as a frog then probably died on Namek.

He did technically kill that frog though by putting it in Ginyu's mortally wounded body.

Completely forgot Vegeta was even on his feet when Goku arrived. But yeah either way you cut it Goku killed plenty in Dragon Ball.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He exploded the mech Black was riding and all, so that was a confirmed kill at least.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Spiritus Nox posted:

I seem to remember him jumping on people's planes and making them explode, so...

It's okay, I can see their parachutes!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Covok posted:

He blew up Commander Black's robot and he died because he didn't install a parachute. Also while factchecking that I found out in GT Pan kills him again.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Covok posted:

even if they all lived, Goku absolutely killed Tambourine as revenge for Krillian

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Man...I am so weirded out by the insane Dragon Ball revival of the last few years. The franchise was more or less over and done, other than a handful of video games, but then suddenly we get American Dragon Boxes, two theatrical releases, a whole mess of higher-budget video games, one of which included a remaster of an ancient OVA. This series has some insane legs.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Captain Quack posted:

Freeza may have got stronger, but Goku didn't transform to fight him in the trailer, I guess when he does Freeza wont stand much of a chance

Maybe a part of his training will be that he can't transform.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

One thing I always loves about Frieeza was that he had a poo poo took of mooks so people besides Goku could have fights they could actually win. This movie looks like it's going to have plenty of that, can't wait to see Roshi ruin some alien assholes. :allears:

I wonder what Frieeza's reaction will be to seeing Trunks.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Man, I was dead wrong. I forgot how many times he killed people in Dragonball.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

jivjov posted:

Man...I am so weirded out by the insane Dragon Ball revival of the last few years. The franchise was more or less over and done, other than a handful of video games, but then suddenly we get American Dragon Boxes, two theatrical releases, a whole mess of higher-budget video games, one of which included a remaster of an ancient OVA. This series has some insane legs.

I just got back into it a month ago, the only thing I knew was Battle of the Gods came out and Dragon Ball Abridged did that bardock sequel that totally took me by surprise. Now there's an even bigger extended universe and glazing over things like the Dragonball MMO and Dragonball Heroes is just surreal. Super Sayain 4 Broly is like official.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I just got back into it a month ago, the only thing I knew was Battle of the Gods came out and Dragon Ball Abridged did that bardock sequel that totally took me by surprise. Now there's an even bigger extended universe and glazing over things like the Dragonball MMO and Dragonball Heroes is just surreal. Super Sayain 4 Broly is like official.

As official as Super Sayain 4 is itself...which is to say it's non-canon as far as the series is concerned, but it definitely used a lot in the EU.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Covok posted:

Man, I was dead wrong. I forgot how many times he killed people in Dragonball.

Oh yeah no Kid Goku would wreck your poo poo if you did something bad.

Hell he kicked the grenade back at Tao Pai Pai. (granted yeah we learned later he survived but still)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Quack posted:

Freeza may have got stronger, but Goku didn't transform to fight him in the trailer, I guess when he does Freeza wont stand much of a chance

A big point in the last movie is that Goku is nearly as strong right now untransformed as he is transformed.

It's probably less than what a x2 Kaioken would do.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

As official as Super Sayain 4 is itself...

Which is also as official as Broly is.

Covok
May 27, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Which is also as official as Broly is.

You know, looking at the "official" pictures of SS4 and SS3 Broly, I can't help, but wonder why he is still buff. The buff stuff is the result of the Legendary Super Sayian Transformation, not just him being him. He should be slim Broly in those forms.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Covok posted:

You know, looking at the "official" pictures of SS4 and SS3 Broly, I can't help, but wonder why he is still buff. The buff stuff is the result of the Legendary Super Sayian Transformation, not just him being him. He should be slim Broly in those forms.

He must also be the Legendary Super Sayian 3 and 4.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

Because no one remembers or gives a gently caress about slim Broly, all they care about is roid monster Broly.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not like slim Broly had a personality anyway. GIANT rear end in a top hat JUGGERNAUT is the totality of his existance. It's awesome.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Xibanya posted:

So Vegeta's character in the androids/cell arc really bugs me. It seems like Toriyama himself was like "what is Vegeta's personality again? Oh yeah, he's obsessed with challenging strong guys and beating them!" and then he went from there. When I watch the Saiyan and Namek episodes it's like I'm seeing a totally different character. I'll explain.

Google says arrogant means "having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities," meaning, basically, an opinion of one's abilities that doesn't quite match up with reality.

Vegeta lands on Earth believing he's the strongest and will beat everyone easily. Does he brag and preen about it? Absolutely. Is he an rear end in a top hat? Undoubtedly. But does he have "an exaggerated sense" of his power? Considering it takes everyone plus some dumb luck to take him down? Nope. He's hands down the strongest.

On Namek, Vegeta knows he's toast if he doesn't play his cards right, so he sneaks around, teams up with Earthlings, and approaches his quest for immortality as a scrappy underdog. In other words, he realistically assesses the situation and doesn't have a massively inaccurate opinion of his own abilities.

Where Vegeta goes off the rails here is his belief that he is or will be a Super Saiyan. If I were to treat this behavior like something that revealed character rather than an expository plot device, I'd say Vegeta clings to this belief because otherwise he would have to come to terms with the fact that he's unbelievably screwed -- and once he does, he breaks down in tears.

Then we get to the androids arc and he continuously underestimates his opponents despite glaring evidence that they will beat his rear end. He doesn't try anything wily or clever, he just wants to fight strong guys and win. What gives, yo?

Page or two late on this, but I completely disagree. Vegeta until his sacrifice seems to have two personalities. There's extreme arrogant braggart mode in the Saiyan saga and parts of the Cell saga, along with Majin Vegeta, and more humble scheming mode in the other parts. The difference in the two happens depending on whether he is or thinks he is the strongest on the battlefield. There's not much difference between Saiyan Saga Vegeta and Super Vegeta if you think about it, and definitely no difference between Super Vegeta and the Vegeta who thinks he's a Super Saiyan against Freeza. However, when Goku is a Super Saiyan, 18/Perfect Cell just kicked his rear end, or Freeza is around, he's humbled and plays a bit better with others. It's actually a pretty consistent characterization that stays around until his sacrifice in the Buu Saga, where afterwards he's basically a silent brooding good guy.

Also not sure how I feel about super Freeza. Kinda cool in a campy sense.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

WickedHate posted:

It's not like slim Broly had a personality anyway. GIANT rear end in a top hat JUGGERNAUT is the totality of his existance. It's awesome.

Yeah, it's actually slim Broly that's the one who can never say anything but "KAKAROT!" and scream. It isn't until he goes all super-muscleman that he has any personality, and a lot of his lines are pretty great. In the first movie he basically spends his entire rampage against the crew enjoying every last second of it and mocking them constantly.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Covok posted:

I could go into a long, dumb :goonsay: rant on the hypothetical justifications of such a thing and the nature of "Legendary" Super Saiyan, but I think I'll just leave it at "his power is maximum" unless you really want me to.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Calling it: The movie is going to end with Goku and Vegeta flat on their backs and awaiting the killing blow. A grinning Freeza lifts his arm skyward and begins to conjure a death ball... Only for a clawed hand to grab his wrist from offscreen.

Beerus pulls his arm behind his back, puts him on one knee and holds him there while Whis slaps him until he finally stops screaming things like "UNHAND ME" and "I'LL KILL YOU!" The final shot of the film is an ashamed Freeza doing kata alongside Goku and Vegeta.

Hobo Siege fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 3, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

drat, talk about a lazy power-up

Jesus Christ that is literally a palette swap and nothing more. What happened Toriyama that was your one job, different colors do not count dammit

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Parrotine posted:

Jesus Christ that is literally a palette swap and nothing more. What happened Toriyama that was your one job, different colors do not count dammit

ha ha ha it is i, freeza

\

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Stallion Cabana posted:

Ginyu wandered away as a frog then probably died on Namek.

Nah everything on the planet was warped to earth. So he died when Buu blew up the earth.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Parrotine posted:

Yeah man you can't just turn a body part gold and have that be it.

EDIT:

Like seriously SSJ1, 2, and God are all hilariously underplayed in terms of what changes they have, it's really not surprising Frieza's super form is just a palette swap.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Parrotine posted:

I think it's not a matter of Toriyama being lazy this time.

It seems like they're really hyping up Frieza as a rival to Goku and Vegeta, and giving him access to the same power-up they've had for 20 years is a pretty good way of showing that.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Twiddy posted:

Yeah man you can't just turn a body part gold and have that be it.

EDIT:

Like seriously SSJ1, 2, and God are all hilariously underplayed in terms of what changes they have, it's really not surprising Frieza's super form is just a palette swap.

No enhanced abilities, no physical mutations, no nothing!

It seems Frieza shall never become anything more than a mere space lizard

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

So if Saiyans can go super and Frieza can go super then Cell hosed up because he could have been like, double-super, genetically.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Kelp Plankton posted:

So if Saiyans can go super and Frieza can go super then Cell hosed up because he could have been like, double-super, genetically.

Next time, on Dragon Ball Z....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

Actually if you consult my detailed chart I think you'll find it's Super Saiyan Squared

• Locked thread