Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

go_banana posted:

Isn't Adelaide the home of the Stobie Pole?

I clipped one of those once as a younger man (I'd had a bit to drink, lost my license for two years) the car did not handle that well. Clearly the stobie pole is at fault though :nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

It's kind of depressing that trying to tell people to pay loving attention on the road, drive to the conditions and not the speed limit, PUT YOUR loving PHONE AWAY and the constant reporting of every fatality on the road in the news like some sort of morbid parade just isn't working so now we have to just accept that people are inattentive idiots and make sure that when they inevitably leave the road they have less to hit.

"Trees are dangerous", said a 20-something male driver in his too-powerful Commodore, flying around the winding, blind-corner filled, bark covered road to Langhorne Creek at 110, occasionally flicking his eyes down up to check his mobile the road.

A driver recently ploughed through a back yard and killed a child. Remove all back yards I say. Also remove all houses the next time someone crashes into a house. A car drove off an embankment and rolled down a hill, hence regrade the entirety of the country to a totally smooth plane. A car also crashed into another car. Ban all cars but mine. Replace everything in Australia with a completely smooth bitumen expanse. The only remaining car went too fast and turned too sharply and rolled ban it as well.

EDIT: All I know is that when I drive through the suburbs mowing down pedestrians Carmageddon style with spinning disks of razor sharp steel jutting from the sides of my deathmobile it's not my loving fault that they got themselves hurt.

hooman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 3, 2015

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Gough Suppressant posted:

Bomb adelaide flat and put bitumen on top of the remains, problem solved.

Also, the British tried to do that back in the 50s but their aim was off by about 1000kms.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Somehow I don't feel the Daily Telegraph can convincingly argue we need data retention to catch paedophiles when they apparently drive around in vans marked "peddo"

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pixels, shopped, many seen in my time, etc

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah, the P having lost its shadow really stands out. That's some pretty localised wear and tear.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's not unusual though. For vinyl cut signage, the colors are separate pieces and can easily be pulled off. I'd suggest a local vandal rather than the usual idiotic photoshoppery.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
maybe he just likes feet

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I refuse to believe that someone who has murdered a 3 year old is literally driving around a big white van with peddo's on the front.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

SynthOrange posted:

It's not unusual though. For vinyl cut signage, the colors are separate pieces and can easily be pulled off. I'd suggest a local vandal rather than the usual idiotic photoshoppery.

Then why not remove the second D? :argh: no good punk kids :argh:

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I blame the schools.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Do any of us live nearby?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Jumpingmanjim posted:

I refuse to believe that someone who has murdered a 3 year old is literally driving around a big white van with peddo's on the front.

Yeah, you'd think that if someone was actually a pedo then they would get that fixed pretty quick smart.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Mad Katter posted:

Yeah, you'd think that if someone was actually a pedo then they would get that fixed pretty quick smart.

I'd rather peel all the letters off the van rather than driving a big white van that says peddo's on it. I think any reasonable person would. Therefore I think it's a 'shop.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Then why not remove the second D?

please don't kinkshame.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Mithranderp posted:

I'd rather peel all the letters off the van rather than driving a big white van that says peddo's on it. I think any reasonable person would. Therefore I think it's a 'shop.

Absolutely. Remember how ISIS received a stream of abusive phone calls and threats? People are literally that loving stupid.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

The Australian Jewish News has denied sacking a senior journalist who helped the royal commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse by supplying a damaging text message from a senior rabbi.

Adam Kamien was made redundant after nine years on the paper – including a stint as acting editor – after a text message he passed on to the commission resulted in the resignation of Rabbi Meir Shlomo Kluwgant.

Yep

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mad Katter posted:

Absolutely. Remember how ISIS received a stream of abusive phone calls and threats? People are literally that loving stupid.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

:suicide:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PM: Australia-New Zealand troop deployment to Iraq has parallels with Anzacs – politics live

Hahahah goddammit tony dont say that in front of the troops!

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Newman is gone, but his stellar hiring choices remain

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/03/chief-justice-carmody-taken-off-court-calendar-showing-him-to-be-least-active

Highlights:

quote:

Chief justice Carmody taken off court calendar showing him to be least active

The work schedule of Queensland’s chief justice, Tim Carmody, has been removed from an official calendar that showed him to be the least active judge in the supreme court.

Carmody, who has struggled to match the work rate of his predecessor while paid an annual salary of $461,000, was slated to carry out “non-court duties” for nine-and-a-half weeks in the first half of 2015.

Only one of 22 appeal court judgments published this year has involved a contribution from Carmody, which was to say “I agree” in support of a colleague’s judgment.

The appeal court last week found Carmody in the supreme court had forgotten to sentence a small-time drug manufacturer on one of the offences to which he pleaded guilty.

After Guardian Australia reported in January that Carmody had only three judgments published in his first six months as the chief justice, seven more of his judgments for that period were published belatedly.

Three of those judgments are the subject of appeal, meaning half of all Carmody’s decisions in complex cases as the chief justice have been legally challenged, with two so far overturned.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Well it's not like him working more would improve things.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

PM: Australia-New Zealand troop deployment to Iraq has parallels with Anzacs – politics live

Finally sorting out that Ottoman empire eh?

Goddamn usually this sort of thing doesn't happen with judges until senility has set in.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

KennyTheFish posted:

So, table booked or anything like that for tonight? if not someone going to wear an identifiable hat or something?
We'll aim to get a decent-sized table when we arrive but we'll post where we are on here. Although it's usually pretty easy to spot the newbie wandering around, figuring out where the table is while eavesdropping conversations, listening out for references to 'kill you are self'.

Mad Katter, Kim Jong ill and myself will meet at Rundle Mall from 6pm and will take a tram there so that should give you an idea of when we'll be there.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

SynthOrange posted:

Well the locals didn't want them there in 1915, and there's no indication they want them there now.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Front page of the Advertiser today screams "LIVES FOR TREES".

Curious what the hell this meant, I had a brief look at the article and it's about "greenies" not allowing the road safety authority to remove roadside trees in the hills/country and this is causing driver death. Not drink driving, inattentiveness or speed, nope, it's the trees that are to blame :psyduck:

Found the full article:

Look, if the tree is in the bitumen then it should go. But it seems like there's so many other factors to tackle first.

quote:

“It is the greenies in the Adelaide Hills who are really unrelenting in keeping all the trees at the expense of all those lives,’’ he told The Advertiser.

[...]
“Council has not received any correspondence from Roger Cook or the MAC regarding traffic safety concerns in relations to roadside trees,” he said.
[...]

Mr Cook, whose only son Andrew, 22, died in a car accident,
John Robertson, who lost daughter Luci, 18, to a tree crash near Clare five years ago

Kid dies. Blames "the greenies" for a stopping a thing they never tried to do. Idk maybe he just assumed the dastardly greenies would stop him so why bother firing off an email?

markgreyam posted:

Also it's home to officially Australia's worst drivers.

Thats queensland and i will fight you over this.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 3, 2015

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

I handed out a resume to a cafe owner yesterday who declined my resume and told me minimum wage was too high and penalty rates are an out of date concept; therefore she will be unable to hire anyone until the government fixes those things. According to small cafe owner woman person.

It's a free country.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's a free country.

He wasn't accusing them of acting unlawfully, perhaps you should put more effort into making sure your boilerplate zingers aren't total non sequiturs

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

MaxwellsEquations posted:

The take home message is to never protest against asylum seeker treatment, because even companies will gently caress you over

http://www.theage.com.au/national/qantas-passenger-banned-after-asylum-seeker-walkout-20150302-13svcn.html

I think you would find that the travelling public would be more than happy that companies that operate machines that travel at 800km/h at an altitude of 10km are keeping people who may be disruptive off them.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

katlington posted:

Thats queensland and i will fight you over this.

You're on. I'll meet you at our shared border. You have to drive. It's likely only one of us will make it alive. That person will be judged to be the loser.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

freebooter posted:

Even if the bubble pops, we're never actually going to go back to the days of our parents and grandparents where a house cost maybe 4x your annual salary, are we? Because I feel like that was a situation of low population and small cities, which is simply over unless you're buying in Bunbury or Bathurst. Like, I know the market is officially "over-valued," but what does that mean it should "properly" be?

Bathurst house prices have gotten ridiculous over the last 10 years since everyone from Sydney/Blue Mountains has bought them as investment properties

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

markgreyam posted:

You're on. I'll meet you at our shared border. You have to drive. It's likely only one of us will make it alive. That person will be judged to be the loser.

RIP both of you, killed by marauding trees.

If trees are killing you, you're probably in the wrong, and possibly the Uruk-hai.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

hooman posted:

RIP both of you, killed by marauding trees.

If trees are killing you, you're probably in the wrong, and possibly the Uruk-hai.

Some people have strange ideas about causality. Personally i blame Henry Ford for inventing the motorcar.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Raged posted:

Bathurst house prices have gotten ridiculous over the last 10 years since everyone from Sydney/Blue Mountains has bought them as investment properties

Bubble is not helped that there is just a practical limit to the number of desirable locations. Be it job opportunities or the view.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Some people have strange ideas about causality. Personally i blame Henry Ford for inventing the motorcar.

I blame Tony Abbott for building a bunch of new roads. All they do is kill people!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Hockey orders sale of $39m Point Piper mansion Villa de Mare for FIRB breach

China’s 15th richest man has 90 days to sell one of Sydney’s finest homes, at whatever cost, or face the prospect of prosecution.

The $39 million Point Piper mansion Villa de Mare was sold last year in contravention of existing laws that prohibit foreigners buying property without government approval, Treasurer Joe Hockey said.

The grand home, once owned by recruiter Julia Ross, was bought by Golden Fast Foods, a holding company ultimately owned by Evergrande Real Estate Group under Xu Jiayin, who is known as and for having strong connections to the Chinese Communist Party and former party premier Wen Jiaobao.

All foreigners require prior approval to purchase residential real estate, and only temporary residents are permitted to acquire existing properties. The purchase of an established dwelling is conditional on a foreigner selling the property when they leave Australia.

FIRB staff spent months investigating if the purchase complied with the law.

“The rules are straightforward,” said Brian Wilson, the Foreign Investment Review Board chairman. “It’s an existing property you have to be either a resident, or a citizen or a temporary resident. You can’t be a foreign investor.”

Mr Wilson said the property’s owner, who he declined to name, was “on a number of occasions” given the opportunity to prove to FIRB that he had complied with the law.

“As with any government decision such as this you give the person natural justice. These things aren’t done as a knee-jerk reaction.”

SALE IN 90 DAYS DIFFICULT
A rushed sale of the sprawling harbourfront mansion might be difficult. Recruitment magnate Julia Ross sold the home on 1508 square metres in October 2014 after a wait on the market of more than two years.

The sale set a new non-waterfront record in early October for the 1508 square metre home with a pool and Mediterranean influences.

Ms Ross, the now London-based entrepreneur, almost doubled the $21.5 million she paid a decade ago for the sprawling home, when it set the previous non-waterfront record.

In the first forced divestment of a property since 2007, the owners have 90 days to sell it or face referral to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions.

A parliamentary inquiry recently found there had not been a single prosecution of a foreign investor since 2006 and no divestment orders since 2007.

Mr Hockey said the owners would have to accept the best price offered within the timeframe. He promised new fees and penalties last week to enforce the existing law but these are not yet enacted and forced divestment of the mansion has been ordered under existing law.

“Golden Fast Foods is a foreign-owned company which failed to notify FIRB of its intended purchase,” Mr Hockey told Parliament Tuesday.

DEVELOPER WORTH $7.6B
Xu Jiayin is worth of $7.6 billion, according to the Hurun Report. He is the founder and chief executive of Evergrande Real Estate Group, one of China’s largest apartment developers.

He is known for his strong connections to the Communist Party, including the brother of former Premier Wen Jiabao.

“It was bought by a company, registered in Australia, which warranted it did not need FIRB approval,” said Christies agents Ken Jacobs, who sold the house in conjunction with the principal of LJ Hooker Double Bay Bill Malouf.

Golden Fast Foods, which includes Evergrande’s executive director Huang Xiangui and Sydney-based accountant Stanley Brogan as directors, now has 90 days to sell the home otherwise they will face prosecution and possible jail terms.

State property records list the buyer of Villa de Mare as Golden Fast Foods Pty Ltd, a Chatswood-based company headed by Stanley Brogan and China-based directors Han Xioaran and Huang Xiangui. Mr Huang is Evergrande’s executive director.

Media reports at the time of the sale in early October 2014 said Mr Xu was in Australia and scouting for hotel investment opportunities in addition to a harbour-front home.

‘DISTORTING THE MARKET’
Local real estate agents have applauded the decision.

“I think its fantastic,” Melbourne-based buyers agent David Morrell said. “These types of purchases are pushing prices up and its distorting the market.”

Mr Morrell points to two Melbourne sales on the weekend just past, in which two homes in Hawthorn sold for more than $1 million above reserve and $800,000 above reserve, respectively.

“Sometimes it feels like you’re bidding with your hands tied behind your back because you know you’re not bidding in the same dollar terms as the [foreign] competition,” he said, adding that the recent drop in the AUD had spurred on a new wave of confidence among foreign purchasers.

But Mr Morrell is sanguine about the impact that one forced divestment will have.

“So many sales have already gone through under the radar,” he said.

Another Sydney-based agent talking on the condition of anonymity argued that the move would have a large impact on top-end buyers who hire the best accountants and lawyers to ensure their purchases are legal and compliant with the law.

“This will create some anxiety,” they said.

The Villa de Mare sale came at the same time a swag of well-heeled Chinese businessmen were buying up other trophy homes in the harbour facing strip.

Zeng Wei, the son of China’s former vice-president Zeng Qinghong, owns 73 Wolseley Road, where he and wife Jiang Mei are in the process of building a modern home by architect Gergely and Pinter.

The princeling spent $32.4 million six years ago to secure the home known as Craig-y-Mor, which businessmen including Chris Corrigan, Rene Rivkin and Ben Tilley formerly owned. Demolition works began in May. The family is expected to move back into the new home by 2015.

Other Chinese purchasers in the area include chairman of global textiles group Shandong Ruyi, Qiu Yafu, who paid around $34 million in May 2013 for a home known as the “Bang and Olufsen” house on Wolseley Crescent.

Mr Qui is the major shareholder in Queensland’s Cubbie Station.

FIRB RULES CLEAR
Asked if FIRB would announce more cases where the law had been breached, Mr Wilson said it was “entirely possible”.

He said the 90-day period set down for the divestment of the property was compliant with the law.

Asked if the action could lead to any legal action from the purchaser’s layers and accountants, Mr Wilson said: “Anyone is always entitled to try and get a law case up. I think the law on foreign investors owning established residential properties is pretty clear and it’s been pretty clear for decades.”

“Every now and then one [case] comes along that’s just plain contrary to the law,” he said. “I wouldn’t like to say anyone went out to deliberately flout out the law. Whatever the motivations were, the law was not complied with.”

“Every case that has come to FIRB’s attention is investigated,” Mr Wilson said.

“FIRB does have limited resources and to actually chase down a property in terms of its ultimate owners is quite resource intense. It takes a lot of work and more often than not – in the vast majority of cases – we’ve determined the properties have been properly acquired.”

http://www.afr.com/p/national/hockey_orders_sale_breach_point_4vfndyC0uTrYvcShhGyu8M

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Alright Adelaide goons I'm on my way, I hope there's parking

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
Adelaide Goons, we're sitting outside under the umbrella, you can take a guess at which table (the one with the Cheeto-dust covered neckbeards).

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

SynthOrange posted:

Dinosaur revealed to be robot in disguise.

Sweet jesus.

He died screaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

So many questions about this. Why now, six months after the sale went through? Is there a point to the article mentioning one of Xu's neighbours is a major shareholder of Cubbie? What's in it for Joe, who one would have thought might have needed whatever he's clearly expecting for this unaccustomed toughness months ago? Why, again, if the rules are that clear, did noone think "hey this might contravene FIRB"?

And why does Joe think there'll be no comeback for pissing off a Chinese billionaire? Even catallaxy doesn't get it!

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Mar 3, 2015

• Locked thread