Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I feel like if i put guac on a burg i would want some heat, tho not much. Feels like a good counter to guac.

Maybe not even heat, but something like tabasco green variety. A lil vinegar and slight bite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Fetus Tree posted:

I feel like if i put guac on a burg i would want some heat, tho not much. Feels like a good counter to guac.

Maybe not even heat, but something like tabasco green variety. A lil vinegar and slight bite

A spicy pepper jack slice and/or some jalapenos would be a great compliment!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

how does a patty melt differ from a burger?

Patty melts *are* burgers. Different in that they are on grilled sliced bread instead of a bun and they have melted cheese and grilled (or better yet caramalized) onions.

None of the usual lettuce pickles tomato toppings you'd see on your run of the mill backyard bbq burger.

Patty melt is a pro-level burger.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Look, its basicly a grilled cheese with a bomb rear end burger patty and delicious carmalized onions.

Unless you are some kind of onion hateing psychopath, it's a top level burger on every level.

Add mushrooms for best effect in my opinon.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
some nice looking burgs on the past few pages, i am really craving a burg, probably gonna get one tomorrow

cams
Mar 28, 2003

this is the best thread in something awful history btw

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Has anyone here actually been to the Heart Attack Grill? If so is it actually any good? It looks solidly gross.

I have.
It's pretty greasy but delicious.

Had the triple bypass (3 patties, 3 slices of cheese) with bacon strips.

Planning to have it again this year when in October when I'm back in Vegas.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

i encounter a lot of controversy when espousing this view but IMO: we should classify the flat, greasy burgs that are made on the griddle as being an entirely separate food from a big juicy burg done on the grill.

both are an art in their own right but between these two broad categories the meat-bun-topping interplay has such a different dynamic that it's useless to compare.

Ghaz fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Mar 3, 2015

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ghaz posted:

i encounter a lot of controversy when espousing this view but IMO: we should classify the flat, greasy burgs that are made on the griddle as being an entirely separate food from a big juicy burg done on the grill.

both are an art in their own right but between these two broad categories the meat-bun-topping interplay has such a different dynamic that it's useless to compare.

nah they all burgs bruh

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ghaz posted:

they are not an entirely separate food because they are still burgers

try not to sperg so much

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

u loving cowards, i'll have ur necks for this insult

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

ok sorry i just quit smoking so im feeling a little salty, but when i see people talking about some perfectly spherical artisan kobe chuck burger with cheese made from the milk of swiss maidens and poppyseed ciabatta in the same breath as an honest working mans burg with fried crispy patties and soft bread and melted american cheese... im sorry its just hosed

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ghaz posted:

they're both burgers, if it's greasy on a griddle it'll be greasy off the grill, the only reason it is flat off a griddle is because they get pressed down so they cook faster (they don't have to be flat off a griddle)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Ghaz posted:

ok sorry i just quit smoking so im feeling a little salty, but when i see people talking about some perfectly spherical artisan kobe chuck burger with cheese made from the milk of swiss maidens and poppyseed ciabatta in the same breath as an honest working mans burg with fried crispy patties and soft bread and melted american cheese... im sorry its just hosed

read, the, OP

all burgers are good, some, more good

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Chinatown posted:

all burgers are good

well DUH!!! but no one compares sprinters to long distance runners even tho they are both "fast" in a manner of speaking

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

they're both burgers, if it's greasy on a griddle it'll be greasy off the grill, the only reason it is flat off a griddle is because they get pressed down so they cook faster (they don't have to be flat off a griddle)

like this loving scrub who clearly has never been closer than 10 feet to the wide open range of the short order cooks flat top grill. All im trying to do is elevate how we talk, think and eat burg

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pretty sure I have cooked professionally and you actually don't know what you're talking about tho

if I had a griddle and a grill and two of the same exact patties I could cook them both in such a way that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you look for the grill marks (but even then I could mark on the grill real quick then transfer to the griddle). They come off the griddle flat because people literally press them down with the spatula so they cook faster, not for any other reason.

assuming your griddle isn't covered with poo poo obviously.

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

pretty sure I have cooked professionally and you actually don't know what the gently caress you're talking about

if I had a griddle and a grill and two of the same exact patties I could cook them both in such a way that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference unless you look for the grill marks (but even then I could mark on the grill real quick then transfer to the griddle).

why in gods name would you do such a thing... god gave us different tools to make burger so we could have a variety. "i could make two burgers identical if i cooked them both a little bit on the grill and the griddle" ...jesus christ I'm trying to show you theres a whole loving world of hamburger technique if you can just put down your force-of-habit ground-beef-sandwhich and look past the patty of meat crammed between two buns

cams
Mar 28, 2003

don't fight about burgers :(

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Ghaz posted:

why in gods name would you do such a thing... god gave us different tools to make burger so we could have a variety. "i could make two burgers identical if i cooked them both a little bit on the grill and the griddle" ...jesus christ I'm trying to show you theres a whole loving world of hamburger technique if you can just put down your force-of-habit ground-beef-sandwhich and look past the patty of meat crammed between two buns

ya but you're trying to recategorize burgers you're like a burger mod or something

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

cams posted:

don't fight about burgers :(

the best food in the world deserves adherents that push the limits, that demand innovation, that refuse to be chained down by lazy taxonomy. burgers are that food, by a long shot.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

He carried our avenging steel over the Rhine,
He drank the emperor's toast from the Danube.

Moridin920 posted:

They come off the griddle flat because people literally press them down with the spatula so they cook faster, not for any other reason.

lol @ retards who keep slapping their meat

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

i mean you lose all the meat juice

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Nebelwerfer posted:

i mean you lose all the meat juice

i agree don't press on your burgers.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Ghaz posted:

the best food in the world deserves adherents that push the limits, that demand innovation, that refuse to be chained down by lazy taxonomy. burgers are that food, by a long shot.

stop it man, despite your good intentions you're coming off like a deucebag

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ghaz posted:

but what I'm saying is that whether you cook your patty on a grill or a flat top, it's still a burger. All I was saying is that your distinction of grill vs griddle was in fact based on erroneous assumptions because flat and greasy isn't necessarily inherent to the griddle.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

you can make a very juicy burger in a pan on the stove. you don't have to press on it

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
thats one thing that sucks about mickey d's and similar fast food joints. their grills basically press down on the patties to cook them in the least amount of time. also the freeze dried onion is some nasty poo poo

source: worked at mcd's for a summer back in the day.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Anyone ever crock pot a burger?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

A strange cult left one of these under my grill what in tarnation???

I dont know what to make of it!

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
looks good man. more of a sammie but who cares. what's in it?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dandywalken posted:

A strange cult left one of these under my grill what in tarnation???

I dont know what to make of it!

That's a Ruben you numbnuts. While delicious, it's no burger.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
lol that pic is from wikipedia

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

LeoMarr posted:

Anyone ever crock pot a burger?

It does not work well.

Nebelwerfer
Jul 25, 2008

Sweet Tea posted:

you can make a very juicy burger in a pan on the stove. you don't have to press on it

:agreed:

its the best kind of burger

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

My best juiciest burger cooking method:

Sear one side for 60 seconds on high.

Flip burger, turn heat to low 10 minutes putting top on saucepan

turn heat completely off and let sit for 10 - 15 minutes depending on thickness

voila, a rare and extremely juicy burger

Ghaz
Nov 19, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

stop it man, despite your good intentions you're coming off like a deucebag

pathetic. theres no room in this dialogue for tiny-minded idiots. im certain that applebees has a "classic half pounder" smothered with raw quartered onions, unripe tomatoes and rancid iceberg you might be interested in.

Moridin920 posted:

but what I'm saying is that whether you cook your patty on a grill or a flat top, it's still a burger. All I was saying is that your distinction of grill vs griddle was in fact based on erroneous assumptions because flat and greasy isn't necessarily inherent to the griddle.

ok now we're getting somewhere. just as the industrial square of inedible, neon-orange cheese evolves into a decadent sauce when pressed between browned meat and toasted bun, so now can our juices intermingle and thicken to develop new flavors

You could certainly mimic one cooking surface with the other... when you cooked professionally on the short order line... didn't you baste the nearly-finished patty for just a moment or so under a lid, to get the cheese melted perfectly? you couldn't possibly achieve that effect on a grill... likewise, the texture on the outside of a properly grilled burger just won't have the same character as a burg done on the flat top...

when I worked the line, I worked to perfect the "greasy spoon" style burger. I was sure I'd come upon the perfect ratio of fond crust and juicy inside-meat: two patties of two ounces each, half a slice of american cheese to each. Though i was pleased to have made such progress, I knew it would be years before I could get the system stable enough to play with toppings and bun combinations... but sadly within a year of my most promising breakthroughs, the specter of Diabetes Mellitus reared its ugly head... I lost three fingers on my right hand, thumb and index on my left and also my right leg below the knee. I can't cook anymore because my scooter can't fit in the kitchen.

I hope you can appreciate for one moment why my passions reach these hights when I'm talking burg. years of vision, study, experimentation and work taken away by cruel genetics, perfection is out of my reach while I'm imprisoned in this body. But you all... your only prison is your mind. You can't rouse me from my mobility scooter with a passionate diatribe unless you can regrow limbs with your words. But maybe, just maybe, I can rouse my fellow goons from burg-jail. It doesn't have to be like this. The future is what you make of it.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ghaz posted:

Some real rude stuff

What has gotten into you???

• Locked thread