Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Amorphous Blob posted:

Next time, on Dragon Ball Z....

Now I want them to actually do this. To make basically a sequel movie for every saga, even just starting with Freeza. Return of Cell, Buu goes evil again.

Then loop around and have Raditz and Nappa show up, fuse, and go Super Saiyan 3.

Rappa. Yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I really, really want Vegeta to be the one to beat Frieza this time. Show how far he's come.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I really, really want Vegeta to be the one to beat Frieza this time. Show how far he's come.

From the trailed it seriously looked like how that was going to pan out.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So like... Vegeta and Goku are locked out of their Super Forms and this is the only reason Freiza's even standing a chance. Right?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Then loop around and have Raditz and Nappa show up, fuse, and go Super Saiyan 3.

Rappa. Yeah.

Would Rappa's hair be half as long as Radditz', to take into account Nappa's baldness?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Onmi posted:

So like... Vegeta and Goku are locked out of their Super Forms and this is the only reason Freiza's even standing a chance. Right?

Beerus and Whis teach them how to tap into their power without transforming. Basically, Toriyama is retiring the Super Saiyan.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Esroc posted:

Beerus and Whis teach them how to tap into their power without transforming. Basically, Toriyama is retiring the Super Saiyan.

So he's giving them Mystic form? I knew he was retiring SSJ3, but I didn't know he was retiring the others.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

WickedHate posted:

Would Rappa's hair be half as long as Radditz', to take into account Nappa's baldness?

A mohawk.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Onmi posted:

So he's giving them Mystic form? I knew he was retiring SSJ3, but I didn't know he was retiring the others.

More or less, but keep in mind that "mystic" isn't a form and is just a fan nickname for Gohan after his power was unlocked. But yeah, Whis and Beerus essentially teach Goku and Vegeta the same technique Old Kai used on Gohan. We might still see Trunks and Goten go Super Saiyan though since they aren't being trained by Gods.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Onmi posted:

Goku is almost as strong in base now as he is in Super Saiyan God form. Why would he need to transform?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

YggiDee posted:

A mohawk.

Also, sunglasses instead of a scouter, a gold chain, and a beard.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I think the only thing Frieza's missing is a cane and pimp hat to complete the ensemble

Let's go all out and put Ludacris in the background while we're at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXLCOIcb41Y

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I'm watching the original Dragon Ball series and it's definitely different. Different is the word I would use.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

TIL Frieza loves a bit of water sports.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
Weren't there interviews with toriama where he said he wasn't that fond of transformation anymore? If anything he indirectly said it in battle of gods so I'm not surprised freiza just got a palette swap (also cooler isn't cannon) Though i'm a little sad that it's just gold even if the purple and gold scheme is baller.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
All the hype for the new movie got me to rewatch Fusion Reborn again and Frieza's voice just sounds weird now after all these years. TFS Frieza has become the 'default' voice for me.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

IncendiaC posted:

TFS Frieza has become the 'default' voice for me.

Same. Listening to his voice in Xenoverse was weird as hell. They just need to hire LittleKuriboh.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

WickedHate posted:

Same. Listening to his voice in Xenoverse was weird as hell. They just need to hire LittleKuriboh.

On the other hand, Cell's voice is perfect.
"I would hug you if that was something I did!"

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Having the same issue with Xenoverse. The DBZA voices have become the "correct" ones to me. Trunk's official voice is raspy and dreadful - I'll take Kaiser Neko's interpretation any day. However it makes it all the more impressive to me that I'm not experiencing the same dissonance with the Sabat characters, so props to Lanipator for being such a close match.

Xenoverse Nappa sounds a lot like Taka, did he do "serious" Nappa too in this game or was he just an amazing match to begin with?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

VanSandman posted:

On the other hand, Cell's voice is perfect.
"I would hug you if that was something I did!"

Watching a video with him in it. It's weird to see a Dragon Ball game where Perfect Cell doesn't have 1st Form Cell's voice for like half of his battle cries.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Man I really would love a DBZ Abridged DLC for Xenoverse. It would own so hard.

Also agreed on how odd the voices sound now days for the most part.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

DBZ:A honestly has more likeable presentations of the characters than the real thing at times.

I just watched the episode last night where Frieza listens to the Frieza song on his scouter. Canon!

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Seriously, hearing raspy Trunks in Xenoverse never stops being weird against awkward Trunks from DBZAbridged.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Xibanya posted:

Xenoverse Nappa sounds a lot like Taka, did he do "serious" Nappa too in this game or was he just an amazing match to begin with?

It's just close sounding. Phil Parsons is his voice actor.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Xibanya posted:

Having the same issue with Xenoverse. The DBZA voices have become the "correct" ones to me. Trunk's official voice is raspy and dreadful - I'll take Kaiser Neko's interpretation any day.

I noticed Trunks' voice changed after like, the first Budokai to a much worse one. Did his voice actor change or something? He didn't sound like that on the show.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Momomo posted:

I noticed Trunks' voice changed after like, the first Budokai to a much worse one. Did his voice actor change or something? He didn't sound like that on the show.

It appears it's still the same guy.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

HEY

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Nothing you can say? Nothings gonna change what you've done to me?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

LISTEN

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

It's still weird for me to get used to the DBZ Kai versions of Gohan and Freeza after so long, Gohan actually sounds normal and Freeza doesn't sound like an old woman anymore.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Tribladeofchaos posted:

It's still weird for me to get used to the DBZ Kai versions of Gohan and Freeza after so long, Gohan actually sounds normal and Freeza doesn't sound like an old woman anymore.

Oh god new Freeza is so much better though.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

say hello to super freeza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soe-rEMKytY really bad video of the new trailer

My first thought was - wow, what a cool Xenoverse character.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Flytrap posted:

Late response but "to some extent" nothing. When Cell is kicking SS1 Gohan's rear end Piccolo goes on a several page rant about Goku being a lovely dad, and Goku's just there freaking out with the realization that he's kind of a piece of poo poo who's about to get his own son murdered because he couldn't comprehend that other people have interests other than death battle.

Well I found this:
http://youtu.be/eXF-VXkGMy8

I can appreciate it as maybe the only introspective moment Goku probably has in his life, but it's too bad it doesn't seem to stick.

Also it's less Piccolo ranting about Goku being a lovely dad per se and more about Goku's master plan of having Gohan flip out and kill Cell being loving retarded and needlessly cruel (lol Goku pulled a Vegeta on this one, in a somewhat abstract sense.)

If this arc were more coherent it could have had some great themes on what family is (Vegeta - Trunks, and a...paternity triangle? With Goku - Gohan - and Piccolo) but all the characterization is in these random 30 second moments mixed in with reaction shots so any semblance of a mature emotional development is lost in the ether. We should probably count ourselves lucky though, since if DBZ were a modern shonen we'd have at least one episode of someone moping around in grief.

Oh my God I just has a post traumatic anime syndrome flashback to the Android Kikaider anime, which (trigger warning) was 13 solid episodes (not counting the OVAs!) of moping around in grief. So many unearned emotional climaxes. I'm figuratively shaking and crying.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why did you feel the need to overload the end of that post with random references to dumb people on tumblr for no real reason

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Considering Freiza's mortal fear of the Super Saiyan and what two of them did to him, it makes sense that he might subconsciously implement aspects of it when he trained himself to actually try and maximize his potential.

Also, I can't help but love the simplicity of this movie. Freiza was so built up during his original run and then once the Freiza arc was over the power creep and filler turned him into a joke, and now twenty years later he gets brought back and just goes 'Oh I never trained' and suddenly he's leapfrogging back over Cell and Buu.

Well, maybe not Buu considering his dad warned him to avoid him, but still.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 3, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i'm loving all this DBZ revival going on and I like that the movies build on eachother, like the fact that beerus is in this new movie as well. It's like getting a new DBZ series, except instead of short episodes you get movies with continuity :allears:

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.

Blockhouse posted:

say hello to super freeza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soe-rEMKytY really bad video of the new trailer
Freeza pre-ordered Xenoverse and got the gold armor.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
At first I was a bit like "oh god this is dumb", but then I remembered how much I like Saints Row and Freeza clearly is now just representin', so I am 100% cool with it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Toriyama's design philosophy has always, except for SS3 which he clearly does not like in retrospect, has always been stronger forms are simpler. So gold Freeza makes a lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Gold Frieza looks fine

did you all want him to grow spikes or something? His 4th form is the only form of his that ever looked remotely good anyway, makes sense to stick with it

• Locked thread