Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I liked the rest in peace one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

baka kaba posted:

Ok who's going to translate the latin?

Emperor Ceasar IDS King
Servant Victor Idleness
Exstinctor Client Master
Work Mediator Divination Amplicfication(?) Versus Wall God-like Confirmitor (?)
and universal stupid man.

Ignoring grammar.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I think the dots are meant to be punctuation here, so I think 'Amplissarum Contra Murum' is supposed to be something like '(forcing the) most against the wall'.

(Seeing 'Rex' in an Imperial inscription is bugging me inordinately...)

Edit: Rowson posted his translation on Twitter apparently.

quote:

Emperor Caesar IDS, King of Slaves, Victor over Idleness, Destroyer of Dependency, Lord of Work, Pisser of Vast Treasure Up Against The Wall, Divine Sanctioner and Universal Fool.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kegluneq posted:

I think the dots are meant to be punctuation here, so I think 'Amplissarum Contra Murum' is supposed to be something like '(forcing the) most against the wall'.

(Seeing 'Rex' in an Imperial inscription is bugging me inordinately...)

Edit: Rowson posted his translation on Twitter apparently.

That makes more sense - and that's what I get for a rush jon on a train. :v:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Rupert Murdoch and Rebekah Brooks – Unconfirmed reports suggest that the former Sun and News of the World editor is to head Murdoch’s new social media news organisation"

Telegraph:

Cameron promises 200,000 starter homes if Tories win election

Independent:

Times:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I really like this. Not sure it's worth a :drat: but I do like it.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Pilchenstein posted:

I really like this. Not sure it's worth a :drat: but I do like it.

His facial expression is golden. Flip it around so it's looking at the posts and it'd make a great av.

Latest Popes with translations in parentheses:

Treasurer (Chancellor) Joe "Shrek" Hockey is still attempting to sell the unpopular GP co-payment (forcing people to pay up-front for Australia's version of the NHS). Note location of speech bubbles.

After a month which was obscenely gaffe-prone and unpopular by even his standards, Abbott attempted a PR 'reset' and announced that "good government is starting today" a week or two ago. Nobody's really been able to tell the difference.

In response to his character attacks on the head of the Australian Human Rights Commission, who dared to say that locking innocent children in concentration camps is maybe not something a responsible government should be doing, and his ridiculous lack of understanding of the data retention scheme he's trying to sell, Attorney-General George Brandis was censured by the Senate (like the House of Lords, but elected by state-based PR, so generally a bit less conservative and a lot less predictable than the House of Representatives/Commons). What that achieves in practical terms is not much but it's nice anyway.

Latest Kudelkas:

Safe food and country-of-origin labeling has become a big deal in the last week since some imported frozen berries were found to contain, erm, poison.

It's been almost two decades since a leadership contender - either in an election or within a party - had a main selling point other than "not the other guy".

Despite attempting to legislate mandatory data retention, it was recently revealed that a number of politicians, staffers and political operators - the most high-profile of whom was Communications Minister and open covet-er of Liberal Party leadership Malcolm Turnbull - were communicating using a snapchat-like app which, erm, doesn't retain data.

Latest First Dogs:

:words:

:words:, Bill Shorten is just as incompetent and centre-right and even more forgettable as the leader of an opposition Labo(u)r party as Ed Miliband

:words: :words: :words: so many loving words (this comic sums up pretty well why First Dog is so loathed in a lot of auspol circles)

Divorced And Curious fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 3, 2015

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

:words: :words: :words: so many loving words (this comic sums up pretty well why First Dog is so loathed in a lot of auspol circles)
Holy poo poo you're not kidding.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

"A picture paints a thousand words" was not meant to be taken literally

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Safe food and country-of-origin labeling has become a big deal in the last week since some imported frozen berries were found to contain, erm, poison.

and by 'poison' read 'Hepatitis A'

Zetsubou-san fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 3, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Latest First Dogs:

First Dog on the Moon: seriously though, you are boring the complete poo poo out of me right now

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

You people are such massive babies when it comes to comics with too many words in :catstare:

A new Subnormality went up yesterday, somewhat related.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I don't doubt their quality, but could the Australian cartoons get their own thread?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I don't doubt their quality, but could the Australian cartoons get their own thread?

Agreed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Moon Dog guy needs to get an editorial column.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Kegluneq posted:

You people are such massive babies when it comes to comics with too many words in :catstare:

The one about metadata was literally just text with some images thrown in and the phrase "oh uh this massive chunk of text is totally written on that image somewhere." You would lose absolutely nothing if you removed all the visual aspects.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
This thread's so slow that I say oz cartoons are "fair dinkum" just change the title to commonwealth cartoons and throw Canadian ones in here too.
Scarfe of the week

"In the Great Tradition of Pure Service" and the rest might as well be Elvish to me.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Well, "You fucks have no attention span thanks to the internet (this argument is kinda ironic really)" kinda made me laugh, but that was after I mentally filed these comics under "Essay peppered with irrelevant illustrations" and lowered my expectations considerably. I get that this scratchy, badly defined mess is his style, that's actively what he's trying to do, and even if he's heard of the word "concise" it's not something he's ever been interested in trying. I don't expect much more than that from it. Still, that doesn't somehow make First Dog On The Moon into a good cartoon. You've got two wall-eyed misshapen tins of cat food having a one-sided argument about how poo poo Australia's immigration policies are, that was never really going to be a good cartoon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheDarkFlame posted:

You've got two wall-eyed misshapen tins of cat food having a one-sided argument about how poo poo Australia's immigration policies are, that was never really going to be a good cartoon.
As opposed to two wall-eyed misshapen tins of cat food having a one-sided argument about how poo poo immigration is, which would be a UKIP debate.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mr. Squishy posted:

This thread's so slow that I say oz cartoons are "fair dinkum" just change the title to commonwealth cartoons and throw Canadian ones in here too.
Scarfe of the week

"In the Great Tradition of Pure Service" and the rest might as well be Elvish to me.
As far as I can tell:

'lovely lovely money'
'Malcolm Richking'
'Spinning Straw into gold'
'In the tradition of public service'

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Malcolm Rich King :3:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Binyamin Netanyahu's speech to Congress – Despite a boycott by up to a quarter of House Democrats and eight senators, the Israeli prime minister received loud applause from both sides of the joint meeting of Congress"

Telegraph:

Weasel photographed riding on a woodpecker's back

Independent:

Mail:
Mac on...The Prime Minister's 200,000 starter homes promise

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Mr. Squishy posted:

Invite the Kiwis too, I've always wanted to see more than their absolute worst.

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on...The Prime Minister's 200,000 starter homes promise

Is there a joke here, or is it just "working class people are lazy and work as slowly as possible"?

Divorced And Curious fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 4, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I took it as the fat guy was a dad who had his no good idiot son working for him, here seen loving up what could be the biggest order of their lives.

JoeSchmoe
Jul 17, 2003

Cameron's promising to build 200,000 homes next parliament, but the details are a bit poo poo to say the least.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31683974

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Dog on the Moon is like being stuck at a party with somebody who keeps delivering a drat lecture. Maybe try some Moir. This guy has been cartooning for seemingly 100 years.

Celebrating the return of Australian troops to Iraq.

This is the Australian Prime Minister that seems to have the Midas touch - to turn everything into complete poo poo. Over the years Moir has made him into a psychotic Popeye that just yells YAM WOT I YAM over and over and smashes things. He has a NO WOMEN tattoo that celebrates his self appointment as Minister for (punching) Women. Those little red pants are his 'budgie smugglers'.

This is his main threat, the Minister for Communications, who has profoundly deep respect for his own brilliance that never seems to add up to winning anything. Sometimes drawn festooned in dead cats.

Barely concealed portrait of Australian Billionaire Idiot Clive Palmer, who got bored with making a replica Titanic and instead founded a barely coherent vanity political party.

An oldie but a goodie - the two parties compete for who can keep the most wogs out this blessed island nation.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Is there a joke here, or is it just "working class people are lazy and work as slowly as possible"?
Being charitable to Mac, "The government have promised 200,000 homes at the last minute with no plan or strategy whatsoever, so Cameron is calling round small family builders who would be completely unable to deliver it."

Also

Cliff Racer posted:

I took it as the fat guy was a dad who had his no good idiot son working for him, here seen loving up what could be the biggest order of their lives.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's strange to see a person in a Mac's cartoon who reads a paper that has nothing to do with the joke.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Cameron's home building plan is the reference, but I'm pretty sure middle class contempt for working class people is the "joke", yes.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The joke is clearly "feckless son takes on entirely unreasonable work order while dad makes a face". If Steve Bell had drawn it and all the characters were penguins, people would be saying it was brilliant.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons to not like Mac without assuming that everything is a direct attack on the poor.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Which is why the whole place is a mess, and they're drawn as lazy slobs?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

The joke is clearly "feckless son takes on entirely unreasonable work order while dad makes a face". If Steve Bell had drawn it and all the characters were penguins, people would be saying it was brilliant.

The son actually sounds pretty professional. The joke is on the person making the order, because they're clearly not the company to be going to.

(Jesus, who'd have thought Mac would be the new PBF?)

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Wolfsbane posted:

Which is why the whole place is a mess, and they're drawn as lazy slobs?

They're builders. That's how they've been portrayed in every form of media since humans started building structures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0QxQoOInV0

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron and the economy – Ed Miliband asked David Cameron to clarify whether or not he would appear opposite him in a live televised debate, and he responded ‘we’re having a debate now and [Miliband] can’t talk about the economy’"

Telegraph:

UKIP's Nigel Farage wants return to immigration 'normality'

Independent:

PMQs: Miliband challenges Cameron on immigration pledge

Times:

Mail:
Mac on... The report into child sex abuse cases in Oxfordshire

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:stare:
That Mac.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Yeah I have no complaints about this one.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
gently caress me is there any danger of cartoonists having an original thought? 3 weasel cartoons :rolleyes:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Hee hee I maek plegj joke geddit because there's a brand of cleaner *gets brown envelope from s.c. johnson*

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

SedanChair posted:

Yeah I have no complaints about this one.
I don't know, I think sexually active kids definitely should have access to free condoms after a discussion with a trained healthcare professional.

And that's a bit different from a box full of condoms with help yourself on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oben posted:

I don't know, I think sexually active kids definitely should have access to free condoms after a discussion with a trained healthcare professional.

And that's a bit different from a box full of condoms with help yourself on it.
This is about child sexual exploitation though, not just sexually active kids. It's like the joke about the teacher who reassures parents that he always wears a condom while teaching. It's better than not, but the priority should be to find out what the gently caress is going on there, not make sure that he has condoms.

Mac ruins it by making the condoms the responsibility of the girls though.

• Locked thread