Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Action-Bastard posted:

allposters.com had a really bitchin' sale last week so I got a bunch of art prints for my home and my new office:

Average price on all of those was $5

Thanks, dicknuts, I was going to order some prints of my own photos but will have to jump on that now while it's 35% off :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framptonlive
Nov 22, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Action-Bastard posted:

allposters.com had a really bitchin' sale last week so I got a bunch of art prints for my home and my new office:

Average price on all of those was $5

Nice. Where are you getting frames? If you're framing them.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Is it really as good as people say? The trailer looked rubbish.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

beato posted:

Is it really as good as people say? The trailer looked rubbish.

It's "arty" . I thought it was okay. Do you like continuous shots? I told my folks to watch Nightcrawler. They ignored me and watched Birdman. My dad got pissed and wanted to call Amazon over $4.99. They would have liked Nightcrawler, rent/buy Nightcrawler. Jake G. nails crazy in that.

colas has a new favorite as of 13:06 on Mar 1, 2015

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It was better than the absolutely forgettable past winners like Argo and King's Speech.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
Nightcrawler was a real treat.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It was better than the absolutely forgettable past winners like Argo and King's Speech.

Way better.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

beato posted:

Nightcrawler was a real treat.

Yeah, Nightcrawler and Whiplash were better than Birdman IMO. I thought Birdman was just ok, not as great as everyone says it is. Jake Gylennhall really should have been nominated for Nightcrawler.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Music, courtesy of Bandcamp and the stoner metal thread:

Link to stoner metal thread please?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

FWIW I saw birdman in the theatre last Friday and was completely enthralled. Every performance was extremely compelling. Definitely an "artsy" film, and I can see how it would turn people off though, with the directorial style and constant drumming soundtrack.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Mu Zeta posted:

Oh look, the movie has a message for you

bunnielab posted:

Link to stoner metal thread please?

Sure thing. It covers related subgenres too.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I just bought this too. Owns.

Hell yes it does :hfive:

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Yeah, Nightcrawler and Whiplash were better than Birdman IMO. I thought Birdman was just ok, not as great as everyone says it is. Jake Gylennhall really should have been nominated for Nightcrawler.

He really did. He got hosed hard. It was one of the more convincing creepy roles that I'm ever seen.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

CrackSpider posted:

Just ordered a Surface Pro 3 plus the keyboard (mine is purple) and a case. Got a big discount through my boyfriend's company. He should be getting one soon too to test out for use for his team at work.

I'm very excited. I don't have a laptop or a tablet anymore, so being able to do stuff on the go again will be great. Also: drawing! Waiting 3-7 days for it to ship to me is going to be agony.

I love mine, it has made my life so much easier.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

drat you amazon

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I love mine, it has made my life so much easier.

How are they for drawing?

BobFossil
Jun 17, 2005

Note to self: I hate whites.

cos ive become a huge weeaboo since playing ffxivrr

colas
Feb 14, 2007

That is one handsome model.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

colas posted:

I thought this was the PYF Funny Pictures thread for a second.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

colas posted:

They need to ban those kinds of glasses. Like, just for a few years. I'm so tired of every hipster motherfucker wearing them.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

I like it, but did they forget to bring up the guitar during the solo while mixing it?

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
Turned 30 last week (argh!) and EVERYONE literally threw loads of money at my face. So I did the only sensible thing and ordered two gadgets I wouldn't have been able to afford otherwise.

Old computer was getting the long tooth and some friends already own and very much approve it. Seems that, if you know what to expect, it's quite possibly the best thing if you want a weird hybrid laptop / tablet thingie.

Aaaand this one arrives tomorrow

I'm aware they do not have the best sound by a long shot (used to rock Shure SE535s 'til I lost them. One of the most frustrating things I've ever done) and that Bose marks up their prices quite a bit but these things have an actual "gently caress off, outside world" button, that works so well I'll happily compromise a little. I used to be a snob about this but the first time I tried the noise cancelling my jaw dropped irl. It's a thing I never knew I wanted, but here we are.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
You could have gotten a superior sounding closed set headphone at probably a cheaper price.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Etrips posted:

You could have gotten a superior sounding closed set headphone at probably a cheaper price.

Seconded. I didn't want to stop-shame but even noise-cancelling Beats are over $100 cheaper than those. There are Sony over-ear noise-cancelling headphones for $35, I kinda wanna try those or AT since I've never owned any noise-cancelling over-ears.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

colas posted:

Nice. Where are you getting frames? If you're framing them.

I haven't used this site, but it came highly recommended by my office film memorabilia nut:

http://framersbrand.com/assembly.htm

(This guy gave me a Japanese poster for The Car because he determined it to be a reprint, and he had to have an original. He takes his posters seriously.)

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

Etrips posted:

colas posted:

Welp, thanks for shaming anyway, I guess?! :)

Like I said, I'm aware of the shortcomings and alternatives, but these things make the world go away by pushing one button. Even if there's no music playing at that moment. The cheaper Beats don't do that (and sound pretty bad) and I have yet to try a closed set that closes a 100% and doesn't make my ears sweat like they're doing cardio. So Bose it is for now.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Bagarthach posted:

I like it, but did they forget to bring up the guitar during the solo while mixing it?

Sounds like it's only on the right channel. I never noticed that. Weird.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

yellowD posted:

I bought a bunch of stuff

where is this from?

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

beato posted:

How are they for drawing?

I've only ever run Photoshop CC on it, but it runs like a dream and the pen pressure is very nice even if it doesn't quite compare to what a Wacom product offers (I had to do some tweaking; the Windows App Store has a program that's just called 'Surface' that will let you mess with the pressure sensitivity). All of my brush presets imported and work fine with the included pen. The only thing I'm not a huge fan of is the actual surface of the device. Since it's made of glass it's very slick, quite unlike what I'm used to with my Cintiq 21X, but I've read that you can fix this by getting a screen protector to dull things down a little. I'm still looking into which one is the most recommended for this purpose. Even without, I'm sure that with enough time I'd get used to it.

This is a good resource if you're interested.

Solid Cake has a new favorite as of 02:20 on Mar 3, 2015

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Man I thought this was a vicarious shopping thread, I should have brought all my lovely opinions :(

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Those On My Left posted:

where is this from?

Kohl's, weirdly. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1585381/indication-by-eci-lurex-striped-crossover-dress-womens.jsp

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Went ahead and preordered a poster for jazz fest this year so I won't have to carry it around during the festival.

This years poster features Big Chief Bo Dollis, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year, just before the poster was unveiled.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Scarf posted:

Went ahead and preordered a poster for jazz fest this year so I won't have to carry it around during the festival.

This years poster features Big Chief Bo Dollis, who unfortunately passed away earlier this year, just before the poster was unveiled.

For awhile, I thought they had thrown together that poster right after his death as a commemoration , but I just recently found out that was the planned poster all along and him passing away was just unfortunate timing. Quite sad. I think I'm skipping this year's poster though. I have a couple years in tubes collecting dust because I'm too cheap to frame right now.

dr3wby
Oct 22, 2007

I'm gonna go inside, and I'm gonna get a shovel.

Wanted new IEMs for work. Hopefully they are comfortable and sound good.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
If they sound anything like their predecessors you got some amazing headphones for that price range. Super comfortable as well!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
This Star Wars Book

quote:

A Star Wars masterpiece in the new Gallery Edition format--reprinting Douglas Wheatley's original pencils at full size alongside Randy Stradley's script pages!

Wheatley's awesome art is sure to be an eye opener for many. Drawing at printed comics size, Wheatley packed in more detail per page than most artists include in an entire issue. Plus, a feature not seen in other "artist's editions"--the complete scripts from which Wheatley worked, allowing readers to see where the artist chose to stick to the script, or revise the art to better suit the story.

This book is sure to be a treasure for artists and comics fans alike!

I'm not that much into Star Wars, but my friend loves it, so I'm sure he'll be happy with his birthday present :D

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

dr3wby posted:

Wanted new IEMs for work. Hopefully they are comfortable and sound good.

They are really comfy, sound ok for price I guess.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

AlexF posted:

Welp, thanks for shaming anyway, I guess?! :)

Like I said, I'm aware of the shortcomings and alternatives, but these things make the world go away by pushing one button. Even if there's no music playing at that moment. The cheaper Beats don't do that (and sound pretty bad) and I have yet to try a closed set that closes a 100% and doesn't make my ears sweat like they're doing cardio. So Bose it is for now.

I travel alot and I've tried many different Active Noise Cancelling headphones (including Beats and the older Bose QC15s), and I just bought a pair of the new Bose QC25s ones. The NC and Comfort are top notch. Yeah the sound quality is meh, but they are at least as good as even the nicer Beats. My brother borrowed my bose ones when his Beats Executives crapped out and went out and bought the Bose ones to replace the Beats. Seriously the NC is that good.

I have other cans for use at home, but honestly the "gently caress off world button" and the fact that I can wear them for 10 hours comfortably is worth every penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

couldcareless posted:

For awhile, I thought they had thrown together that poster right after his death as a commemoration , but I just recently found out that was the planned poster all along and him passing away was just unfortunate timing. Quite sad. I think I'm skipping this year's poster though. I have a couple years in tubes collecting dust because I'm too cheap to frame right now.

If you're ever interested in selling any of them, let me know. There are a few key years (particularly Congo Square ones) that I'd love to have.

Speaking of Congo Square, I'm a little put off with the fact that they're not releasing one this year. I mean, I know it's to honor Bo Dollis and to not draw away from his poster, but I mean, the posters are already done I'd assume... So they're just never going to release this design? Just use it for next year?

I'm kind of hoping that they'll just release it a little later this year, or right after the festival.