Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

I feel like Bethesda shouldn't be afraid to lock away content based on the kind of character you're playing. I dunno.

Skyrim is the exact kind of game that shouldn't be afraid to lock out significant amounts of content, since there's so much of it, and much of it is... I don't want to say shallow... let's call it developmentally cheap. How many Skyrim quests are a bit of introductory voice acting, a dungeon, then some closing voice acting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

im pooping! posted:

I tried playing Morrowind on console

My god the load times were long enough to take poo poo or make a sandwich and you'd still come back to a loading screen.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

DStecks posted:

Skyrim is the exact kind of game that shouldn't be afraid to lock out significant amounts of content, since there's so much of it, and much of it is... I don't want to say shallow... let's call it developmentally cheap. How many Skyrim quests are a bit of introductory voice acting, a dungeon, then some closing voice acting?

There are some quests that are given via book and have no VA at all, and that's not even counting the misc quests.

Skyrim is just horrifically bland; do literally any one quest and you've basically experienced all the game has to offer. The only reason to keep playing is if you want to do the same thing over and over with different but still mind-numbingly dull justifications.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BBJoey posted:

The only reason to keep playing is if you want to do the same thing over and over with different but still mind-numbingly dull justifications.

This could describe the vast majority of video games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tiggum posted:

well yeah but Dynasty Warriors never billed itself as this huge epic world-spanning adventure

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Once again, lovely/incompetent/uneven Polish translation, this time in Injustics: Gods Amongst Us - there'll be spoilers for the story mode. The very first scene, during the Superman/Joker exchange: Joker's line are all translated into a kind of a slang language, which might make a bit of sense, I guess - but so are Superman's, which is just silly. Also, Joker calls Batman "copybat", which is translated as "psychobat".

Later on, the heroes destroy Watchtower, which is an important structure. Luthor observes the explosion and asks his suit's AI "Watchtower?"-"That's right/Affirmative (or something to that effect)". The translated version is "What about Watchtower?"-"That's right.", which is a translation that must have been made without knowing the context of the scene. Not to mention that a little earlier "Twelve seconds" was translated as "Thirteen seconds".

Also, a "frame data" option is translated as a "[picture-frame] data", not "[frame of animation] data".

I appreciate the shot at localization, not to mention that the game is translated at all, but those mistakes are just amateur grade and this game is not quite so low budget - and besides, low budget games tend not to be translated at all.

On the other hand, the game has a very grindy trophy list, but this being a multiplayer fighting game this actually makes sense - you would be trying out different characters' powers and moveset in order to find you favourite.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Szurumbur posted:

Once again, lovely/incompetent/uneven Polish translation, this time in Injustics: Gods Amongst Us - there'll be spoilers for the story mode. The very first scene, during the Superman/Joker exchange: Joker's line are all translated into a kind of a slang language, which might make a bit of sense, I guess - but so are Superman's, which is just silly. Also, Joker calls Batman "copybat", which is translated as "psychobat".

It may be a mistranslation, but psychobat describes Batman pretty well.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Slime posted:

It may be a mistranslation, but psychobat describes Batman pretty well.

It certainly does, but if they want to take such liberties, they should have also dubbed the game:)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Szurumbur posted:

Later on, the heroes destroy Watchtower, which is an important structure. Luthor observes the explosion and asks his suit's AI "Watchtower?"-"That's right/Affirmative (or something to that effect)". The translated version is "What about Watchtower?"-"That's right.", which is a translation that must have been made without knowing the context of the scene. Not to mention that a little earlier "Twelve seconds" was translated as "Thirteen seconds".

Oh yes. This applies to translations in general but especially for games, as there are often lines translated without context and even then, badly.

So for example in Prince of Persia Sands of Time, as the princess goes "Hey check this out!" and proceeds to show the prince some sick parkour moves, in Czech it was: "Hey go inspect this from the outside"

Other things like "Face off" being translated as "Without face"

The banter in Gears of War stopped making sense when they used any slang.

And I remember some strategy game where I was convinced the "translator" was just straight up loving with everyone. Objectives urged me to do things not possible in the game, and there was a sentence or two where they just straight gave up midway.

"Go to enemy base and"

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Szurumbur posted:

It certainly does, but if they want to take such liberties, they should have also dubbed the game:)

You guys still do that "one guy dubs over the entire movie in a monotone voice" thing? Because that's the most hilarious thing and if you did that with games, I'd be fluent in Polish in no time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ryoshi posted:

Also I'm about 2 hours into Tales of Hearts R and the plot is just terrible. I'm not expecting Shakespeare or anything from my anime swordmans RPGs but there hasn't been a single event or cutscene that didn't make me cringe.

Quoting myself here because it is still really goddamn bad but also there is a younger sister character who is now constantly afraid of everything and since the voices are in Japanese every other line is her whining "oniichannnn~~~" or whatever the gently caress to the point where it would be really funny if it had any semblance of self-awareness.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Far Cry 4 would be a lot less frustrating if one missed shot didn't mean that everyone in a 50 meter radius now knows my exact location.

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015
Assassin's Creed 4 would be a lot better to control if it would have a Sneak-Button.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
If we want to talk about bad translations/voice acting you're going to have to work really hard to be worse then Men of War.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3VoHE3nP8E

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What non-english western countries actually spend a buck on localization?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Man, the SMG in Shadow Warrior is really wimpy and unsatisfying, in no small part due to a ridiculously tiny muzzle flash. The revolver owns though, especially when you get the single-action upgrade and you smack the hammer with your other hand Clint Eastwood-style.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The guns in Shadow Warrior are all pretty wimpy, even the revolver's damage becomes a crapshoot later on. You'd think they would be unable to gently caress up a heat-seeking rocket launcher that lets you aim the missiles at your crosshair HL2 style, but it still ended up being like the most impotent and meh-worthy rocket launcher I've ever seen in a video game. Truly disappointing!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:27 on Mar 4, 2015

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Okay so I just started Shadows of Mordor, can someone tell me if I just have bad luck or is it normal to run into about 600000 named captains when you're trying to kill just one. I just want to loving kill this one dude and suddenly Aroth the eye crusher, Tibart the Bone cruncher, Zizak the Face Smasher, Alpoc the Soul Stealer and 40 others suddenly show up.

Not to mention the hundreds of little guys who just swarm you. Good lord this game doesn't gently caress around.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

Okay so I just started Shadows of Mordor, can someone tell me if I just have bad luck or is it normal to run into about 600000 named captains when you're trying to kill just one. I just want to loving kill this one dude and suddenly Aroth the eye crusher, Tibart the Bone cruncher, Zizak the Face Smasher, Alpoc the Soul Stealer and 40 others suddenly show up.

Not to mention the hundreds of little guys who just swarm you. Good lord this game doesn't gently caress around.

Its both, and it depends on location. If you are near a stronghold or something, then the chances of fighting several captains shoots way up. Some captains also have a trait where they just show up when you are fighting another captain. Sometimes the game just mocks you and throws a bunch of captains in your direction.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Cherish these moments because the day will come when you actively avoid killing captains because you're capable of steamrolling everything onscreen.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

im pooping! posted:

Cherish these moments because the day will come when you actively avoid killing captains because you're capable of steamrolling everything onscreen.

Should I just avoid killing these guys and focus on main story missions at this point? I was just loving around trying to find herbs for those little foraging missions when about a million captains loving beat my rear end out of nowhere and I thought about killing one but gently caress that at this point.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

OldTennisCourt posted:

Should I just avoid killing these guys and focus on main story missions at this point? I was just loving around trying to find herbs for those little foraging missions when about a million captains loving beat my rear end out of nowhere and I thought about killing one but gently caress that at this point.

No it's fine for now, it's fun to find captains who regularly decide to torment you and it becomes a plot point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

I played Skyrim for north of 150 hours on one file and I don't think I ever set foot in Falkreath. I remember trundling all the way from the east to the west for some quest and getting a prompt that I discovered Falkreath. I hesitated for a moment and just turned elsewhere and walked away because I was loaded with quests at the moment and I knew if I went in some jerk was going ask me to help tie his shoes.

Pretty much how I've been playing. Stumbled across a camp, see some letter on a corpse? Don't pick it up cause its probably going to add a quest. Need to go into some city I haven't been into yet for a quest? Don't talk to ANYONE and in fact flee from any NPC approaching me lest I get another quest added. I opened a chest in a dungeon that I had to clear out for a quest and saw a uniquely named flute and some daedra god's beacon. First time I didn't hit "take all" from a chest.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Leal posted:

Pretty much how I've been playing. Stumbled across a camp, see some letter on a corpse? Don't pick it up cause its probably going to add a quest. Need to go into some city I haven't been into yet for a quest? Don't talk to ANYONE and in fact flee from any NPC approaching me lest I get another quest added. I opened a chest in a dungeon that I had to clear out for a quest and saw a uniquely named flute and some daedra god's beacon. First time I didn't hit "take all" from a chest.

:siren:my quest log is over 9000 pixels tall:siren:

over 97 hours and no questlines completed

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Except at least the vast majority of games actually put some effort into their gameplay. Skyrim is one of the worst games, mechanics-wise, I've played in years. Bethesda decided to go for a vast world over tight gameplay, but forgot to make the vast world actually interesting in any way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leal posted:

I don't get this. What's wrong with having more quests in your list? They just sit there waiting for you to get to them, it's not a problem, is it?

BBJoey posted:

Except at least the vast majority of games actually put some effort into their gameplay. Skyrim is one of the worst games, mechanics-wise, I've played in years. Bethesda decided to go for a vast world over tight gameplay, but forgot to make the vast world actually interesting in any way.
It seems pretty popular though, so I guess plenty of people do find it fun?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Tiggum posted:

I don't get this. What's wrong with having more quests in your list? They just sit there waiting for you to get to them, it's not a problem, is it?

The bloat just gets bigger and bigger, and it only becomes harder to either ignore if you just wanna wander around the countryside looting dungeons, or address when you actually want to handle it.

Similarly, I always hated the quests in Bethesda games that were never completable. There's at least one in every single one that's just always going to be there, existing only to tell you about a repeatable thing that you probably don't actually want to do.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Barry's daughter in Revelations 2 makes me miss Steve Burnside, her dialogue is pure cringe and she has no redeeming qualities, despite supposedly being 20 she acts like an angsty teenager.

What is with Resident Evil and lovely characters with daddy issues

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Tiggum posted:

It seems pretty popular though, so I guess plenty of people do find it fun?
It's very pretty, it's not very difficult, it's large and it provides a reasonable illusion of freedom, along with a good level treadmill.
That's just what their target audience wants, and there's nothing wrong with that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CJacobs posted:

The guns in Shadow Warrior are all pretty wimpy, even the revolver's damage becomes a crapshoot later on. You'd think they would be unable to gently caress up a heat-seaking rocket launcher that lets you aim the missiles at your crosshair HL2 style, but it still ended up being like the most impotent and meh-worthy rocket launcher I've ever seen in a video game. Truly disappointing!

I think "looks like it will be great but ends up being totally disappointing" aptly describes everything about Shadow Warrior.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

DStecks posted:

Far Cry 4 would be a lot less frustrating if one missed shot didn't mean that everyone in a 50 meter radius now knows my exact location.

They just know where the shot came from. Pull back, drop a mine near where you were standing, and relocate. As long as no one sees you moving to another position, you're fine. You can actually get an "Undetected" rank using only a grenade launcher if you keep relocating properly.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Vic posted:

You guys still do that "one guy dubs over the entire movie in a monotone voice" thing? Because that's the most hilarious thing and if you did that with games, I'd be fluent in Polish in no time.

This is more of a voiceover situation, so the original dialogue plays in the background, only not very loud - and yes, very few readers actually try to interject some emotion into their reading and I doubt it'll go away anytime soon. Proper dubs are generally of higher quality, since they often get actual actors to do them.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Right now mission 5 is dragging Alien isolation down for me, apparently I can't change the difficulty setting so i'm stuck doing it on nightmare which I don't really understand why they would do that.
I finally got to press the elevator button but the alien stabbed me before the doors closed. Time to give it another break I guess.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
One thing that bothered me with Skyrim's quests are the "Collect 10 hairy rat's anuses for this one wanker". If you happen to get that quest, even if you have it turned off in the quest log, every time you pick up a rat's anus you get an annoying "1/10 anuses collected"-text onscreen. And it's even a repeatable quest so it doesn't stop even if you happen to collect all said anuses.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Your desktop, I presume?

Posting from a browser that looks like this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Catpain Slack posted:

One thing that bothered me with Skyrim's quests are the "Collect 10 hairy rat's anuses for this one wanker". If you happen to get that quest, even if you have it turned off in the quest log, every time you pick up a rat's anus you get an annoying "1/10 anuses collected"-text onscreen. And it's even a repeatable quest so it doesn't stop even if you happen to collect all said anuses.

Stop tracking it and that stopped happening, I think.

Anyway I got Majora's Mask for the 3DS and I know I bitched about this before but god drat. The game is so visually dark that I literally can not play it unless I'm inside. Because the most minute amount of natural light renders the whole screen solid black, aside from Link's pale rear end arms. So I can play it at home, or at five AM before the sun rises proper. I really, really wanted to play this game while out and about because I loved Majora's Mask.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tunicate posted:

Your desktop, I presume?

"Skyrim is a big empty world with nothing to do."
Actively ignores quests.

That's what this thread reads like sometimes.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Len posted:

"Skyrim is a big empty world with nothing to do."
Actively ignores quests.

That's what this thread reads like sometimes.

That's because what you should read it as is;

"Skyrim is a big world with nothing interesting to do."
Actively ignores repetitive low-effort quests.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Your desktop, I presume?

gently caress, didn't know Skyrim quests don't have their dedicated tab in the menu, it must be hell not have a separate page for the inventory, equipment, map etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I like Skyrim a lot and have had tons of fun with it but goddamn I hate how dirty everything is. Your lands are covered in clean water. Summon some daedric soap and get to work, you pigs!