Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Wow, that's . . . special.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Kenlon posted:

Wow, that's . . . special.

He really thinks Castrum is over complicated? This may not be the right game for him.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Is he a time traveller from 1950s America? That is some old fashioned racism.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Maybe that was just straight up Richard Karn and there's a lot we just presumed to know about the lovable nature of Al Borland

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Part of the reason I love this game is how much work they put into even the most tangential features. Finally attended a wedding tonight and it was not only hilarious (since it was a goon wedding and taken just as seriously as you would expect), it was legitimately really well set up and put together.

They could have just put in a last name change mechanic/titles and given a mount and called it a day, but no, it had the glorious arrival boat, cutscenes, time for vows, special music, etc.

The last week or two I have watched a number of very long term WoW players become converts and this sort of thing is the reason why.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

MikeyLikesIt posted:

He really thinks Castrum is over complicated? This may not be the right game for him.

never underestimate the entitlement of the dumber generation

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

MikeyLikesIt posted:

He doesn't need a game, he needs therapy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

brokenknee posted:

never underestimate the entitlement of the dumber generation

Fortunately I, as a certified 90s kid, am an expert gamer.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Zereth posted:

:ssh: That's because those are literally enemy formations from the corresponding dungeon in Final Fantasy 3.

Even the clones?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kuai posted:

Even the clones?

Even the clones.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

literally happening right now in more donuts.

there are no words.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
so i thought i could ride that chocobo

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I must say, I am glad the developers picked FF3 to be the first "nostalgia" dungeon to mine. In part because for those of us who never played FF3 (besides the...uh...special DS version), it's all kind of new material, but with elements that clearly harken back to classic poo poo. I'm glad they didn't open with something obviously pandering like FF7 or 6, which only frees up space for a future Kefka's Tower in 4.0.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

brokenknee posted:

literally happening right now in more donuts.

there are no words.
They should have saved that for when the servers come down before the expansion. Tradition, y'know?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
FF III is actually the fourth most popular FF game in Japan. It's only behind (in order from most popular to least) X, VII, and IV.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

Let me share with you this gem I found on the Balmung facebook group:

Taletta Moontail posted:

I would need 242,000 points from the Gold Saucer to get the glamour outfits for females (excluding the Gambler set which I do not want) and it sounds like people grind through Triple Triad and get about 2-4k an hour? So I would need to do nothing but play Triple Triad for something like 2½–5 days straight, from sun up to sun down. For glamour items that do not actually improve my stats. gently caress OFF SQUARE ENIX. I can think of about a billion other better uses for 2½–5 days straight and any of those uses in FFXI would be an easier time collecting glamour or would actually benefit me beyond glamour! Yes yes! Gold Saucer? More like FFXIV the online Trading Card Game experience...but since everyone is just spamming battles against NPCs that does not really involve other players. I wanted to like the Gold Saucer but everyone lives at the Gold Saucer and even as a WHM I have to wait at least 30 minutes to get in to most of my queues. It is loving absurd. Why would you create an environment where all the new stuff was bottlenecked through Triple Triad? That is so...ludicrous. I play FFXIV to go on adventures. Not pretend to go on adventures by looking at pictures on cards. And I enjoy grinding for content as long as the amount of time required is reasonable to the reward, and I am sorry but from what I have seen and heard and tried for myself, the price of rewards is in another dimension from the one where our point-collecting rate exists. Yes yes.

I read an argument earlier tonight in Gold Saucer shout about whether or not it's technically against the TOS to selectively heal in bad groups, and they called someone "sweetie" so they're a horrible fucker as far as I can tell.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

suztan posted:

Let me share with you this gem I found on the Balmung facebook group:

I read an argument earlier tonight in Gold Saucer shout about whether or not it's technically against the TOS to selectively heal in bad groups, and they called someone "sweetie" so they're a horrible fucker as far as I can tell.

Sounds like a class act. I bet he's the kind of tank that purposely overaggroes and doesn't bother to keep the enmity.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Ignoring that they are obviously crazy, the price of things does seem pretty jacked to be honest. I've been grinding cards pretty hard the last few days (43 so far) while I queue up for zodiac dungeons and I've gotten about 23k mgp since the patch went live and that's including a rating 25 chocobo and several days of cactpots.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Tried it out and while it clearly helped, I also remembered my actual issue with WTFast, namely that it completely kills my browser's ability to connect to anything until I restart my computer. Any idea how to work around that?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Blergh Arcanist's animations seem to be horrendously boring and slow. I want to play something that makes the combat look interesting and doesn't put me to sleep?

Monk looks interesting...as does Bard. Bard has the advantage of having an awesome looking hat! :science:

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
You probably want rogue/ninja. Since they're the most recent addition, the devs did a better job with their animations, storyline, etc (rogue storyline is the only one that can give pugilist a run for its money). Alternately, the dragoon animations are pretty good with all your different jumps and flourishes. I find monk and bard animations to be pretty repetitive in comparison (though Dragon Kick and Wide Volley are both awesome).

Real answer: play all of them. Start with Lancer because you need to get one to 34 for Blood for Blood to use on any of the rest of them and low level lancer is boring as poo poo after you've played anything else.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
Although LNC34 is necessary for cross-class stuff, getting someone to start out with Lancer is likely to burn them out on the game. And let's be realistic, B4B (or any cross-classes except for super vital ones like swiftcast on healers) aren't really necessary until you're solidly into the endgame and caught up on gear with everyone else.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Belzac posted:

FF III is actually the fourth most popular FF game in Japan. It's only behind (in order from most popular to least) X, VII, and IV.

Ten in first place? Jesus, Japan has terrible taste.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Keep whistling the gold saucer theme at work. This loving game.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Popehoist posted:

Although LNC34 is necessary for cross-class stuff, getting someone to start out with Lancer is likely to burn them out on the game. And let's be realistic, B4B (or any cross-classes except for super vital ones like swiftcast on healers) aren't really necessary until you're solidly into the endgame and caught up on gear with everyone else.

I only suggested it because (anecdotally) the people I know who started with it had no real complaints until getting level synced at a much later point. I'm guessing it's because everything is fresh and new, and they're still figuring out the rest of the game at the same time. Once you've got the mechanics down, though, you're relying on class mechanics to challenge and engage you, and low level LNC ain't gonna do that. :v:

So, to clarify, LNC is a good choice if and only it's not boring you. If you're bored, move on. There's too much fun stuff to do in this game to stick with something you don't like.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Captain Oblivious posted:

Best soundtrack, coolest guy with big sword, most tragic love story and grim as hell setting.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Rexicon1 posted:

Eh, some of them are pretty thin to say the least. The story for me wasn't the draw, it was the world-building and the fightin

And then there's Tam-Tara Hard mode.

EDDA NO.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 3, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

suztan posted:

Stop healing the drg/nin after they die the third time in the same fight, make your rez macro really passive aggressive, and act like you're carrying the party at all times

I'm not seeing the issue or how there's room for confusion

Percity
Oct 24, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

First FF with voice acting, first FF on PS2, first FF with Meg Ryan (she's really popular in Japan)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Eej posted:

Best soundtrack, coolest guy with big sword, most tragic love story and grim as hell setting.

I mostly remember it as the one with great game mechanics, peak Nomura, cool setting, and an unlikable cast. :shrug:

The game I wanted to like but couldn't.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xenoletum posted:

And then there's Tam-Tara Hard mode.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Don't trust FC

"Is Odin puggable?" "Yeah"

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Minrad posted:

Don't trust FC

"Is Odin puggable?" "Yeah"

I've done it. :shrug: Yeah, it relies you lucking into DPS that have functioning motor neurons but so does most DF stuff.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Shin-Zantetsuken starts casting at 15% or 6:15 into the fight, whichever comes first.

When I saw it pop up with 28% left to go on Odin, I swore off the DF for that fight forever.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Eej posted:

"We don't know who the protagonist is, and that guy has hair antlers! loving SOLD!"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

So for this event. Does it give access to the Decipher skill to people who haven't run the treasure map quest yet, or are my FC's newbies who haven't ground up a gathering class unable to participate?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
You don't have to have a gathering class to do anything with maps otherwise you couldn't do your alex map.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Treasures_and_Tribulations

This quest unlocks the things.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

gently caress you Excalibur, let me make a new character on you!

Anyone know what the most active EU server is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

WMain00 posted:

gently caress you Excalibur, let me make a new character on you!

Anyone know what the most active EU server is?

Excalibur

• Locked thread