Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

one enemy has a stagger effect of 'just keep casting lightning on it' and another enemy has a stagger effect of 'wait until it opens its mouth to cast a spell and then attack it.' Attacking it outside of the stagger effect does pitiful damage.

Why not try using abilities that don't do damage, like debuffs, instead of just going "it isn't doing damage so I can't do anything!" Debuffing enemies or buffing yourself or countering enemy attacks are all valid ways to handle things.

Leper Residue posted:

Also the game is nothing like mario rpg, at all. Or Star Ocean or Parasite Eve. Never really played Valkyrie Profile though since I got bored with it after a few hours.

It is an RPG with timed hit and timed defense mechanics. v:shobon:v Unless you haven't been using those but that's sort of your own fault.

The point I was trying to make is that it isn't an action game. It's an RPG with some timing-based elements and the ability to move your character. It absolutely is closer to Parasite Eve or Star Ocean or Mario RPG than it is to any form of character action game. The core mechanics are all RPG-focused and the 'action' elements are not any more complex than in the games I mentioned above.

Something like Kingdom Hearts or even Crisis Core is a lot more in the vein of character action. Lightning Returns a lot more RPG despite the combat system trying to look actiony.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Curtain Call songs for March 5th

BMS
Final Fantasy X - Assault
Final Fantasy Tactics - Apoplexy
NieR - Hills of Radiant Winds
Chrono Trigger - Battle with Magus
Romancing SaGa - Beat Them Up!

FMS
Secret of Mana - Into the Thick of It

I thought Shadowfiend would be in this batch :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

lol learn to counter and perfect guard.

This. A lot of the enemy types in LR had windows of vulnerability that only opened up if they whiffed an attack or got blocked at the right moment. One that comes to mind are those Rakshasa-types, the dancing assholes who kicked you to death - they had a special attack where they leapt up high and crashed down heel-first, and if they missed then their foot got stuck in the ground and their Stagger potential went up by like 200%.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you can also just avoid the enemies you don't enjoy fighting. i hated the skeletons so i just never bothered with 'em and it was fine.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I thought Shadowfiend would be in this batch :(

That said, Apoplexy is a good addition. :)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rarity posted:

Who was it who told me that FF2 got super unbalanced after the early dungeons cause I want to yell at you for being right. The Hill Gigases in Deist :gonk:

FF2 gets super unbalanced when you get Minwe because with attack spells at level 2-3 you can kill Captains and farm them for Mysidia-grade gear and a few choice spells.

Or just have Firion or Guy go unarmed in the early game. Get up to even 4-5 unarmed and you'll be one-shotting a bunch of stuff for awhile. I forget off the top of my head if you can just head north past the castle and get Berserk from the ogres and mages up in that area but IIRC you can get wands/staves that cast LIT 4(?) on all enemies and you can try to collect a couple of those and just item your way through the first several areas via the infinite AOE damage.

Either way you want to play the early game wit no armor and two shields on everyone because they'll become untouchable really quickly due to constant agility boosts and maxxed out evasion/block. The core spells for trivializing FF2 are Toad, Berserk, Haste, Osmose, and to a lesser extent Protect/Shell/Wall/Swap/Aura.

Berserk with even a couple levels in it can mean your guy hitting 10x for 100 damage is now hitting 10x for 1500 damage while haste gives more hits and Osmose even at level 1 steals a stupidly high amount of MP from enemies. Toad works on quite literally every enemy in the game. I think the PSP/iOS remake might have a couple enemies with 10-12+ magic defense but even then a level 16 Toad spell probably can still hit them. The Captains that murder you early in the game can be taken out consistently with a level 4-5 Toad spell.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

If you didn't like Pokemon Collecting and the first two combat areas you wouldn't like anything else about the game. Just move on to LR.

Not true, Chronobind exists :colbert:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
The thing that really frustrated me with FF2 was the undead enemies in the mid-late game, who always hit for a % of your life (like 50%), and pretty much never miss.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

Not true, Chronobind exists :colbert:

Chronobind is p. good too, yeah.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Leper Residue posted:

one enemy has a stagger effect of 'just keep casting lightning on it' and another enemy has a stagger effect of 'wait until it opens its mouth to cast a spell and then attack it.' Attacking it outside of the stagger effect does pitiful damage.

Also the game is nothing like mario rpg, at all. Or Star Ocean or Parasite Eve. Never really played Valkyrie Profile though since I got bored with it after a few hours.

Yeah, LR is not about being super-stylish with your pro-action skills (although you CAN do that- some of the videos on YouTube are really impressive with the kind of crazy air-juggling you can do). It's about carefully juggling your 3 ATB bars between using effective staggering abilities, attacks, and defensive moves. Just attacking without staggering takes longer and isn't very effective. You don't want to blow all your ATB getting a stagger only to have no ATB left to actually hurt the enemy during their stagger phase. Likewise, you don't want to blow all your ATB on damage and then get clobbered because you couldn't defend.

Some enemies had a difficult stagger condition, but almost no enemy is super-difficult to kill even if you don't stagger them. In fact, some of them are difficult to stagger specifically because they die too quickly. Like, the ones that open their mouths- those are just about the weakest enemies in the game. Sure, staggering lets you kill them in half a second, but if you don't you're looking at maybe 15 seconds to kill one.

And higher mobility is available, but it's an "ability" that you have to use just like your other moves. You can assign abilities that let you flip around the field faster, allowing you to, say, get behind a dragon to hit its tail while it's stunned. But they require ATB to use like everything else, and you have to make sure you save up enough ATB to effectively dodge or move into position. Or there are "stinger"-type moves that will quickly let you close the distance with an enemy in a straight line, but don't let you dash wherever you want. The battle system isn't really designed to have you double-jumping and dashing all over the field.

Edit:

Renoistic posted:

S-E has released a "Wild-life" video showing off some of the animals/monsters in the world. Looks like they're going for a pseudo documentary feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAfpgBNrILQ&t=93s

I don't think it really needs to be said at this point, but that's a drat fine looking game.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 2, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

What's the deal with Crisis Core not being on the PSN? The gently caress, square.

Solovey
Mar 24, 2009

motive: secret baby

Volt Catfish posted:

What's the deal with Crisis Core not being on the PSN? The gently caress, square.

Gackt.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
how much is all the dlc for curtain call? everyone talks about it and I want to get it now

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Crimson Harvest posted:

The thing that really frustrated me with FF2 was the undead enemies in the mid-late game, who always hit for a % of your life (like 50%), and pretty much never miss.

IIRC it's 1/16th of your max life per hit, and if they landed 12 hits on you you just lost 12/16th of your max HP. It's also why the Blood Sword trivializes the final boss and lets you hit him for thousands of damage since that weapon works on the same premise.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Remember when you fell in love with Final Fantasy X back on the PS2? And then fell in love again with the HD remaster on the PS3? Well prepare to fall in love again again, when the FFX/X-2 HD Re-remaster is released on the PS4 in NA on May 12, 2015.

Key Features

Cross-Save Functionality – Players can transfer their save and continue their progress across the PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, and the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system. (PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita versions sold separately.)
Ability to Switch Between Original and Remastered Soundtrack - Play FINAL FANTASY X with the beautifully remastered soundtrack or, new to the PlayStation®4 system version, switch back to the original classic tracks.
Remote play – Supported for the Playstation®Vita handheld entertainment system.

Give us a FFXII IZJS HD goddammit!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I bet X/X-2 HD comes to Steam by the end of the year as well

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Renoistic posted:

S-E has released a "Wild-life" video showing off some of the animals/monsters in the world. Looks like they're going for a pseudo documentary feel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAfpgBNrILQ&t=93s

This might be the first time Behemoths have actually appeared threatening/terrifying in an FF game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

I'd preorder this pretty much instantly.

I mean, poo poo, if you upscale the game to 1080p right now, it's already beautiful. And IZJS already added widescreen! Just sharpen up the UI elements, make it run on PS3/PS4/Vita or whatever, and we're golden.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Red Suit posted:

how much is all the dlc for curtain call? everyone talks about it and I want to get it now

I believe discounting Krile and including the new batch being released in a few days, running cost for everything at the moment is $111.

Not including the game itself.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 3, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Schwartzcough posted:

Remember when you fell in love with Final Fantasy X back on the PS2? And then fell in love again with the HD remaster on the PS3? Well prepare to fall in love again again, when the FFX/X-2 HD Re-remaster is released on the PS4 in NA on May 12, 2015.

Key Features

Cross-Save Functionality – Players can transfer their save and continue their progress across the PlayStation®4 system, PlayStation®3 system, and the PlayStation®Vita handheld entertainment system. (PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita versions sold separately.)
Ability to Switch Between Original and Remastered Soundtrack - Play FINAL FANTASY X with the beautifully remastered soundtrack or, new to the PlayStation®4 system version, switch back to the original classic tracks.
Remote play – Supported for the Playstation®Vita handheld entertainment system.

We can switch OSTs but still can't skip cutscenes

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tae posted:

We can switch OSTs but still can't skip cutscenes

Maybe that'll be possible when we have PS5 level technology to work with

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In order to get unlock the ability to skip cutscenes in FFX: Re:Maester you have to win the chocobo race while dodging lightning and collecting butterflies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Volt Catfish posted:

There is a solution to your problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXB9kLpkaqY

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Schwartzcough posted:

Yeah, LR is not about being super-stylish with your pro-action skills (although you CAN do that- some of the videos on YouTube are really impressive with the kind of crazy air-juggling you can do). It's about carefully juggling your 3 ATB bars between using effective staggering abilities, attacks, and defensive moves. Just attacking without staggering takes longer and isn't very effective. You don't want to blow all your ATB getting a stagger only to have no ATB left to actually hurt the enemy during their stagger phase. Likewise, you don't want to blow all your ATB on damage and then get clobbered because you couldn't defend.

Some enemies had a difficult stagger condition, but almost no enemy is super-difficult to kill even if you don't stagger them. In fact, some of them are difficult to stagger specifically because they die too quickly. Like, the ones that open their mouths- those are just about the weakest enemies in the game. Sure, staggering lets you kill them in half a second, but if you don't you're looking at maybe 15 seconds to kill one.

And higher mobility is available, but it's an "ability" that you have to use just like your other moves. You can assign abilities that let you flip around the field faster, allowing you to, say, get behind a dragon to hit its tail while it's stunned. But they require ATB to use like everything else, and you have to make sure you save up enough ATB to effectively dodge or move into position. Or there are "stinger"-type moves that will quickly let you close the distance with an enemy in a straight line, but don't let you dash wherever you want. The battle system isn't really designed to have you double-jumping and dashing all over the field.

Does the game explain all this stuff? Because I sure didn't pick up any of that when I tried the demo. Movement felt slow and unwieldy, I couldn't tell what difference switching classes or using different abilities was supposed to make, and I could never tell if I was getting closer to staggering an enemy or not. As someone who enjoyed the combat in 13 it really put me off the game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Suaimhneas posted:

Does the game explain all this stuff? Because I sure didn't pick up any of that when I tried the demo. Movement felt slow and unwieldy, I couldn't tell what difference switching classes or using different abilities was supposed to make, and I could never tell if I was getting closer to staggering an enemy or not. As someone who enjoyed the combat in 13 it really put me off the game.

Even if it didn't it takes 2 seconds of just pushing buttons to get it. Like you press the analog stick to move and you're slow as poo poo but hen you press and attack and then you zip across the battlefield. It's obvious poo poo.

I mean they do and it gives a multi battle tutorial and a bunch of text boxes on explaining weaknesses and staggering and guarding and the ATB gauges, but it's all still built off of the FF13 poo poo so do you know how to target elemental weaknesses and stagger poo poo and how you moved into attack by actually using attacks? Well add to that a Guard button and guard timing and a few moves that are JUST for moving around quickly to dodge and you have LR.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 3, 2015

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Harrow posted:

I'd preorder this pretty much instantly.

I mean, poo poo, if you upscale the game to 1080p right now, it's already beautiful. And IZJS already added widescreen! Just sharpen up the UI elements, make it run on PS3/PS4/Vita or whatever, and we're golden.

Widescreen was in the original because I remember using it with my PS2 hooked to my widescreen tv via component cables. That said, I want the same thing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Suaimhneas posted:

I didn't really "get" the battle in the demo either. It takes a little while to get the hang of it, and it takes a fair amount of practice to actually get good. You'll spend a while just fumbling around trying to keep your 3 outfits straight. I eventually got into a groove where I'd always keep my defense/debuffing outfit as my "main", and my "magic/staggery" outfit in the same slot, and my physical beatings outfit in the same spot. Once you get a rhythm so you can swap into the "role" you want without thinking about it, then it all starts coming together. You get a feel for where your ATB starts, how quickly you run out, and how quickly it refills. You can start paying attention to the enemy's attacks and tells instead of trying to figure out what the hell Lightning is doing. You can start timing, and dodging, and taking advantage of stagger conditions. It gets really fun.

Edit: Oh also, the stagger gauge was really unintuitive at first. If you're hitting an enemy with something that's building stagger well, the line will temporarily get all red and wavy, to indicate your attacks are having an effect. When not being actively hit, the enemy line will slowly turn from blue to yellow and finally to red just before they stagger. Some attacks build stagger quickly but don't keep the stagger up long (usually magic), and other attacks are bad at building stagger but keep the stagger gauge from dropping quickly (usually physicals). I'm sure the frequency of the line is related to that, but honestly I never studied it closely enough to notice, and it doesn't really matter.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 3, 2015

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think I'll play LR when it comes to steam but I don't find 13-2 interesting

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Also, http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-typo-is-so-fantsy-1689090448

Oh SE, you can't even spell the name of your cash cow correctly. :allears:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DrNutt posted:

Widescreen was in the original because I remember using it with my PS2 hooked to my widescreen tv via component cables. That said, I want the same thing.

The XII widescreen support is actually pretty bad and you lose a bit from the top and bottom of your screen if you are using it. If you are using an emulator you can use an actual widescreen patch and it's much better.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It sure would be nice if I could catch some Chocobos in X-2 instead of it running away before I can even scroll down to the item command.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Well, now that I've posted about FF12 IZJS in more than one thread I'm possessed with the insatiable urge to play it, so that's what I'm gonna do.

It's normal to spend hours completely unable to decide what job to give everyone, right? I go back and forth based on everyone's innate licenses (like, I like having a White Mage who can Steal and a Red Mage who innately knows Cure) and also on what Espers are appropriate for each character (like Famfrit should go to either Balthier or Fran) before I even start playing.

That's normal, right? Not at all indicative of some awful mental illness?

Right?

Andrast posted:

The XII widescreen support is actually pretty bad and you lose a bit from the top and bottom of your screen if you are using it. If you are using an emulator you can use an actual widescreen patch and it's much better.

Is that true of IZJS as well? I don't think I even knew there was a widescreen patch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Is that true of IZJS as well? I don't think I even knew there was a widescreen patch.

Yes.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Harrow posted:

Well, now that I've posted about FF12 IZJS in more than one thread I'm possessed with the insatiable urge to play it, so that's what I'm gonna do.

It's normal to spend hours completely unable to decide what job to give everyone, right? I go back and forth based on everyone's innate licenses (like, I like having a White Mage who can Steal and a Red Mage who innately knows Cure) and also on what Espers are appropriate for each character (like Famfrit should go to either Balthier or Fran) before I even start playing.

That's normal, right? Not at all indicative of some awful mental illness?

Right?

Dude, I made diagrams and poo poo to make sure everyone got balanced and thematic espers. It's like a goddamned math problem.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-typo-is-so-fantsy-1689090448

Oh SE, you can't even spell the name of your cash cow correctly. :allears:

This is just viral marketing for Final Fantasy Typo HD they're releasing this month.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Do the different jobs in FFXII change the character's outfit is my question.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Szurumbur posted:

sadly, no

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kulkasha posted:

Dude, I made diagrams and poo poo to make sure everyone got balanced and thematic espers. It's like a goddamned math problem.

Yeah, I'm in the midst of that myself. I'm trying to navigate this horrible web of personal requirements. Everyone has to have a job that is thematically appropriate, benefits from thematically appropriate Espers, and works well with their stats and their innate licenses. Literally the only character whose job I've pretty much nailed down is Vaan, because he's an awesome Monk and it works well for him. Beyond that? I know I want my White Mage to have innate Steal, so that's going to be either Balthier or Fran (almost certainly Fran), assuming I take a White Mage at all. I'd like to have a Red Mage. I can't decide what kind of Judge Balthier used to be, and if he'd be more comfortable with a spear (Lancer) or magic (Red Mage, which can reach max Magic even with Balthier thanks to Mystic Armor and Magick Lores). I'm also fairly certain I want Ashe as a Samurai.

Pretty much stuck after that.

Szurumbur posted:

They do not. You also can't change a character's job after you first choose it, so it's not really a full-on Final Fantasy "job system." Still a huge improvement over the vanilla license board, though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Szurumbur posted:

No. Spray-on abs for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

No. Spray-on abs for life.

Harrow posted:

They do not. You also can't change a character's job after you first choose it, so it's not really a full-on Final Fantasy "job system." Still a huge improvement over the vanilla license board, though.

Red Suit posted:

sadly, no

I thought as much, that's a shame.