Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Please don't play Mario Kart Wii. It has a great roster but that's barely a point in its favor when the game actively has it out for you when you're doing well and will not hesitate to have the AI dogpile you with items literally seconds before the finish line. Someone post that one MKWii gif.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the wii had good games, but also it had bad games

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

People really oversell that games AI bullshit. It was thoroughly average for a Mario Kart, but it really wasn't anywhere worse than Mario Kart 8 as far as AI bullshit goes.

I was doing some vs. races tonight with AI set to baby mode for the hell of it and it still made sure to make the CPU that had the lightning used their item after the CPU that had the Blue Shell every time. I even got stuck in a "that one MKWii.gif" situation where I got hit with a Blue Shell, then two successive bullet bills, then a fire flower, followed by a red shell and finally some green shells. Straight from 1st to Last at the end of the 3rd lap.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

mario kart wii is a really ugly game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Haruharuharuko posted:

Your forgetting stuff like Deadly creatures, Fire Emblem, Kirby Return to Dreamland, Mario Kart Wii, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Punchout, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Sin & Punishment 2, Trauma Center New Blood Second Opinion and Team, Xenoblade, and all those dope Konami Rebirth games.

I beat like half of these and do not recommend most of them

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ruggington posted:

If you have a ps3 that is the best version of it and you can get it on psn for 20 dollars

If you haven't played Okami in any capacity and have a PS3, then by all means play it there. If you don't have one, I would still take the Wii version over the PS2 one. I think it looks better, personally, and the Wii-remote pointer controls for the Brush work better than they do with a control stick. Waggle to attack is unfortunate, but such is life. Just equip some Rosaries and shake it like you mean it!

However, you'd have to look up the original staff credits and ending music on YouTube. They removed both from the Wii port. :(

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Super Paper Mario sucked especially since Thousand year Door was the perfect game.

it was such a let down. And then Sticker Star somehow further ruined things.

Also yes Mario kart Wii was a bad game. A 50 dollar ruse to get you to buy a Steering Wheel that was the worst way of controlling the game.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I beat like half of these and do not recommend most of them

I'm sorry you hate fun.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
With few exceptions the Wii has been the home of the worst iterations of all of Nintendo's franchises, the main exception being Mario Galaxy games and Punch Out, while the WiiU has been the home of the best iterations of Nintendo's franchises with few exceptions (mainly the one that haven't been announced or released yet).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

How are you going to tell me Return to Dreamland was the worst Kirby game?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

greatn posted:

With few exceptions the Wii has been the home of the worst iterations of all of Nintendo's franchises, the main exception being Mario Galaxy games and Punch Out, while the WiiU has been the home of the best iterations of Nintendo's franchises with few exceptions (mainly the one that haven't been announced or released yet).

That's really only true for Metroid. The worst Mario Kart is Super Circuit and Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

That's really only true for Metroid. The worst Mario Kart is Super Circuit and Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game

Twilight Princess is the second worst Zelda with Skyward Sword being the worst (and I had absolutely no problems with the controls, I 100%ed it and I'm usually the one explaining to other people how to do it), MKWii is the worst, Metroid Other M is the worst. Prime 3 even though it's really good is the worst Prime game, there is just no new Pikmin, no F Zero, no Star Fox, City Folk is the worst animal crossing, DKC Returns while good is now the worst DKC Returns, Brawl is the worst Smash, Wii Fit is the worst Wii Fit (U is really good), Super Paper Mario was the worst until sticker star.

Really the main exceptions are both Mario Galaxies are roughly tied with Mario 3D Land and World as best Mario platformer. Punch Out is the best Punch Out, Excite Trucks and Excite Bots are the best Excite games

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

greatn posted:

Brawl is the worst Smash

At least you can play it unlike Smash 64.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skyward Sword is not worse than Twilight Princess, or Spirit Tracks for that matter.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Skyward Sword is not worse than Twilight Princess, or Spirit Tracks for that matter.

It definitely is. The only good parts of Skyward Sword are Groose and Ancient Cistern, the rest of that game is super boring and tedious. Twilight at least has really great dungeons throughout.

Also Prime 3 is way loving better than Prime 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RyokoTK posted:

There is a 95% probability that you're wrong. :ghost: The worst thing you can say about Twilight Princess is it cribs a lot from Ocarina of Time, and the overworld's a little barren.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Are you trying to tell me Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks are more enjoyable than Skyward Sword.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Spirit Tracks? Sure. Phantom Hourglass is a fool's errand though.

E: For the record I greatly enjoyed both SS and ST, and my bottom three would look something like Zelda 2, Phantom Hourglass, and Ocarina.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
PH was boring as gently caress except I really liked the boss fights kind of but the dungeons and world map were more frustrating or monotonous than interesting, ditto for most of Spirit Tracks, though the controlling Zelda and the Phantom part were cool. I liked Skyward Sword more than those games.

edit: there are no bad kirby games so trying to quantify them is impossible

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Super Mario 3D World is okay. Maybe it's better in co-op, I dunno, but very few of the stages have left any impression as compared to Tropical Freeze and I was never in love with the way Mario controls.

That said, while I'm not the type to get mad at video games, Champion's Road is disrupting my loving tranquility a li'l bit.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I really liked Phantom Hourglass but never played Spirit Tracks because I've heard pretty much universal hate. All I know is I want Wind Waker to be a platinum reward so I can play that finally

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Oxxidation posted:

Super Mario 3D World is okay. Maybe it's better in co-op, I dunno, but very few of the stages have left any impression as compared to Tropical Freeze and I was never in love with the way Mario controls.

That said, while I'm not the type to get mad at video games, Champion's Road is disrupting my loving tranquility a li'l bit.

I've been running through 3D world with my brother and it's the most insanely fun poo poo when you are constantly sabotaging eachother's attempts at platforming to get the bitchin' crown for getting the most points at the end of the level. Also a massive amount of schadenfreude when those attempts end up in your death instead :allears:

It's a great platformer regardless but it's not really that amazing unless you play it with at least one other person.

Honestly my favorite part about 3D world is that you can pick Peach and Toad just like Super Mario Bros. 2 and for once the victims get to be the heroes.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

How could you not love the Mario Kart level, or the snowy ghost field, or Super Mario Shmup, or trashing Bowser's car, or the golden coin train, or the level where the goal post just up and runs away, or any of the silhouette areas, or the double cherry levels, or

And yeah it is even more fun with co-op

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I really liked Phantom Hourglass but never played Spirit Tracks because I've heard pretty much universal hate. All I know is I want Wind Waker to be a platinum reward so I can play that finally
Spirit Tracks is way better than Phantom Hourglass

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress any game that makes me use a touchscreen to move when there's a D-pad sitting right there doing nothing.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Looper posted:

How could you not love the Mario Kart level,

That was one of the better ones, no argument.

quote:

or the snowy ghost field,

Boring.

quote:

or Super Mario Shmup,

What? Don't even remember this one.

quote:

or trashing Bowser's car,

That might be the worst boss fight in Mario history. It's clearly built for co-op, because Bowser puts up as much resistance as a wilting daisy and you're meant to try and bogart the other player's points by exploding his ride first.

quote:

or the golden coin train,

LIVES FOR THE LIVES GOD

quote:

or the level where the goal post just up and runs away,

Honestly, Sonic Generations did it better.

quote:

or any of the silhouette areas,

The bit with Captain Toad was cute, the rest didn't take proper advantage of the gimmick.

quote:

or the double cherry levels

Awful.

Also to mention all that and omit King Kitty Meowser was a grievous oversight on your part, that bit practically justified the whole game.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 3, 2015

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

greatn posted:

Twilight Princess is the second worst Zelda with Skyward Sword being the worst (and I had absolutely no problems with the controls, I 100%ed it and I'm usually the one explaining to other people how to do it), MKWii is the worst, Metroid Other M is the worst. Prime 3 even though it's really good is the worst Prime game, there is just no new Pikmin, no F Zero, no Star Fox, City Folk is the worst animal crossing, DKC Returns while good is now the worst DKC Returns, Brawl is the worst Smash, Wii Fit is the worst Wii Fit (U is really good), Super Paper Mario was the worst until sticker star.

Really the main exceptions are both Mario Galaxies are roughly tied with Mario 3D Land and World as best Mario platformer. Punch Out is the best Punch Out, Excite Trucks and Excite Bots are the best Excite games

With exception of Other M, I cannot say that I agree with these being the worst. They are not the best among decades of releases but they are certainly not the worst. I had tons of fun with all these titles. No buyer's remorse at all.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The shmup level is in World Star. It's called Honeycomb Highway or something and it's the first level to play the Gusty Garden Galaxy remix.

E: other good levels are Beep Block Skyway, Rainbow Run, and Fuzzy Mine something or other.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
All that stuff about hating on each level one-by-one in Mario 3D World, yikes!

Oxxidation posted:

So much hatred in the Wii U thread today.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Electromax posted:

All that stuff about hating on each level one-by-one in Mario 3D World, yikes!

Not all of them, I liked the gold train! Just wish it wasn't over so quickly.

And Honeycomb Highway wasn't really what I'd call a shmup sendup, aside from that one part where you've got to whack all the bugs to get that Star. And that goes double for the World Flower remix, which just uses the scrolling stage to kill you off.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
What happened to the cute in this thread? Where did we go wrong?

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

greatn posted:

Skyward Sword being the worst
That's not how you spell "Ocarina of Time"
(Also neither Kirby game on the Wii is the worst in the series, and Shake It is the best Wario Land game.)

Oxxidation posted:

Honestly, Sonic Generations did it better.
What, are you talking about Classic Crisis City, where a chunk of rock with the goalpost moves away from you? With the way 3D World did it, there's a much greater sense of motion, like you're actually chasing down the goalpost. In Sonic Generations, the post just moves to specific points immediately, shifting over to the next predetermined point, "redefining" where the end of the level is rather than holding it just out of reach. Not only is this less interesting on a first playthrough, but it'll lose its "magic" much more quickly on repeated playthroughs. No movement, no "chase," you're just playing the level at that point.

Maybe you're talking about something else, though, like one of the challenges. I don't really remember many of those.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Come on, we all know the worst Zelda game is a toss up between Link and the Faces of Evil and Link and the Wand of Gamelon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ultigonio posted:

That's not how you spell "Ocarina of Time"
(Also neither Kirby game on the Wii is the worst in the series, and Shake It is the best Wario Land game.)

What, are you talking about Classic Crisis City, where a chunk of rock with the goalpost moves away from you? With the way 3D World did it, there's a much greater sense of motion, like you're actually chasing down the goalpost. In Sonic Generations, the post just moves to specific points immediately, shifting over to the next predetermined point, "redefining" where the end of the level is rather than holding it just out of reach. Not only is this less interesting on a first playthrough, but it'll lose its "magic" much more quickly on repeated playthroughs. No movement, no "chase," you're just playing the level at that point.

Maybe you're talking about something else, though, like one of the challenges. I don't really remember many of those.

You can also actually catch the goalpost early if you're fast enough, instead of having to wait till the end of the level.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Brightman posted:

Come on, we all know the worst Zelda game is a toss up between Link and the Faces of Evil and Link and the Wand of Gamelon.

You'll never get a rise out of people with that kind of attitude.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

kater posted:

The Wii kinda blows. Blowed. Zeldas and Galaxies and I guess Primes and I don't know what else you'd want from it if you have a Wii U. Yarn Kirby was dope and Smash had a silly campaign, but after that you start thinking Deep Sea Diving or whatever the gently caress it was called is a good game.

Yeah it sure sucked if you ignore all the good games.

raditts fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 3, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah those don't count. Only Nintendo published Zelda games count, in which case the worst is probably crossbow training.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ultigonio posted:

What, are you talking about Classic Crisis City, where a chunk of rock with the goalpost moves away from you? With the way 3D World did it, there's a much greater sense of motion, like you're actually chasing down the goalpost.

That's because you actually are chasing down the goalpost, since you can catch it within like 5 seconds if you're speedy enough. I don't care about that, though. The Mario stage is visually uninteresting and somewhat dull to play, just like a lot of the ones in 3D World. Unless, I guess, you're doing it in co-op. But I've never been too enamored with games that are only "good" with other people. That's the excuse that gets trotted out for everything, including recent mega-duds like Destiny or Evolved.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

How Rude posted:

I've been running through 3D world with my brother and it's the most insanely fun poo poo when you are constantly sabotaging eachother's attempts at platforming to get the bitchin' crown for getting the most points at the end of the level. Also a massive amount of schadenfreude when those attempts end up in your death instead :allears:

It's a great platformer regardless but it's not really that amazing unless you play it with at least one other person.

Honestly my favorite part about 3D world is that you can pick Peach and Toad just like Super Mario Bros. 2 and for once the victims get to be the heroes.

The best part about 3D World is that they brought back Luigi's kicky-leg jump from Mario 2 US.
Green Mario = best Mario

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The Wii had a bunch of under-appreciated seriously fun games outside the Nintendo published ones: Little King's Story, Boom Blocks, Muramasa, No More Heroes/2, The Last Story, Lost In Shadow, Sonic Colors, Zack and Wiki, Dead Space Extraction, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (GREAT game).

You're doing yourself a disservice by ignoring the good games on the Wii. Please understand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I really disliked Lost in Shadow but it's been long enough that I can't speak on it with authority.

• Locked thread