Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

thehustler posted:

Can you convert the images to something else? FCP really doesn't like certain image files, you get all sorts of problems, most notably out of memory errors for absolutely no reason that I can fathom.

That's what I'm trying to do. Render the images out as a movie, and then re-import that movie into Final Cut and work with it instead. But I will have to render twice to do this, so I need to know how I should be rendering the first time so I don't get a hideous-looking double-encode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

PRADA SLUT posted:

That's what I'm trying to do. Render the images out as a movie, and then re-import that movie into Final Cut and work with it instead. But I will have to render twice to do this, so I need to know how I should be rendering the first time so I don't get a hideous-looking double-encode.

I meant to different images :D

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I would use after effects, render the images out to a video file, then use compressor to convert it to something final cut will be happy to play with, like apple pro res

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

bassguitarhero posted:

I would use after effects, render the images out to a video file, then use compressor to convert it to something final cut will be happy to play with, like apple pro res

Do this. Export from AE uncompressed and then use compressor or another encoder to convert that into whatever format your project in FCP is using.

If the image files themselves are particularly huge, then you could alternatively do what thehustler is talking about and batch convert the image files, which should ease up things. A while back I did a project that had an explosion of over 100 tiny photos at once and I batched scaled them down from something like 4000x4000 to 360x360 (they were all tiny in the final, so no quality was lost) and it went from struggling for each frame to being much more manageable (it was an old machine).

Either of these should make it manageable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't remember if this was the thread where people were talking about useful AE scripts, but loving hell has MaskTracker+ from mamoworld saved my rear end several times.

I rarely use it for it's default use to be honest. It's got a stabilize precomp feature that makes painting poo poo out of moving objects a breeze. Well worth the price.

edit: http://aescripts.com/masktracker-plus/

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
MochaImport is likewise completely indispensable, and makes mocha about a million times more useful. I used it recently to seamlessly eliminate logos for an ad I was working on. Worked beautifully. Not sure why it isn't built into AE.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Can Final Cut do things like apply an effect on only part of the screen using masking, and also take a part of the video and zoom it in a "picture-in-picture" fashion?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'd have to see an example of the 2nd effect, but you can duplicate a video clip and place it on an above track, crop the top clip, then use a mask and apply an effect on it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

1st AD posted:

I'd have to see an example of the 2nd effect, but you can duplicate a video clip and place it on an above track, crop the top clip, then use a mask and apply an effect on it.

"Detective, take a look at this footage."

"What's that poo poo in the corner?"

"Enhance it!"

*tiny box grabs screen element and enlarges it over the screen*

"Oh poo poo it's The Bad Guy at the scene of the crime!"

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
1st AD's suggestion would do exactly that, yeah. Plus a warp (or whatever the hell it's called in FCP).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Hey folks, question time re: AVCHD and Premiere Pro CC

We did some interviews at work w/ Canon C100 and Sennheisser Lav mics. When I open up the AVCHD file in quicktime and scrub through, the audio is fine. However in Premiere, the last ~6 min of audio for one of the interviews gets choppy and repetitive in the sequence. Image below:

I know we recorded everything OK, the problem is in premiere. Do I need to reload/replace the footage? Anyone have experience with this?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Is that audio extending past the video or were you just prepping for an L cut?

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

1st AD posted:

Is that audio extending last the video or were you just prepping for an L cut?

The audio is not extending, its part of the video, I just got frustrated dragging stuff around. Let me try that again.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Transcode that clip to DNxHD and see if you're still having the same issues.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT:

Ok, so transcoding the audio did not solve the issue. Again, when I playback the interview in QT, the audio shows no issues whatsoever. I've googling furiously to no avail. Any other tips on audio ingest errors w/ MTS files?

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 13, 2015

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

hi liter posted:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT:

Ok, so transcoding the audio did not solve the issue. Again, when I playback the interview in QT, the audio shows no issues whatsoever. I've googling furiously to no avail. Any other tips on audio ingest errors w/ MTS files?

The dumb question: Did you make sure that when you were transcoding it you actually make sure your encoder changed the audio (just do uncompressed audio) and didn't just do "same as source"?

I have had issues before with devices that encode to AVCHD. Not sure what it is about that one, but a lot of things don't like it.

If you haven't tried it already, try runing the file through Audition.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 13, 2015

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Or try using QuickTime to convert the audio to aiff

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Another quick fix is render and replace (found by right clicking on any clip in the timeline). Or round-tripping the affected files through audition.

But yeah beyond that the general practice is to pull them out via the brilliantly clunky browse through Qiuicktime.

AVCHD files come with a higher overhead used to decode them, usually when you open it you'll see a little "conforming" bar at the lower right. Should something interrupt this (read speeds lagging I suspect) it won't correctly parse the audio.
The older versions of Premiere mandated that you had to import the files through the media browser for it to properly read all of the sub directories.

I've witnessed many horrified people opening their projects to find stuttering sound, or none at all.
Oh and to add more confusion, Premiere will cache the wavform graphics. So should your sound files get corrupted you won't be able to tell from a glance as the file usually reads as loaded (unless something has gone horridly wrong) but won't play back.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
Can anyone recommend a good book or tutorial for organizational workflow in regards to long form documentaries? My wife has begun shooting a documentary and I'm not the best teaching type for showing her the best way to keep everything in order as she shoots. She has good instincts but I think something more concrete would help her out.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Didn't bassguitarhero make a database app that helps keep track of assets?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I made filmeditdb.com which allows you to create and track a list of assets, it's better for archival materials because you're not looking at "0155427-02.mov" for every exported camera clip but if she's good at managing her files it would be really helpful for organizing your clips. You can even export a .csv of all your assets, if/when they're used in the film, etc.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bassguitarhero posted:

I made filmeditdb.com which allows you to create and track a list of assets, it's better for archival materials because you're not looking at "0155427-02.mov" for every exported camera clip but if she's good at managing her files it would be really helpful for organizing your clips. You can even export a .csv of all your assets, if/when they're used in the film, etc.

Ha I read it as Filmed It! instead of Film Edit.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

bassguitarhero posted:

Cool, thanks I will check it out!

edit: Oh weird, it says bad gateway when I try to access that site.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Getting 502 Bad Gateway on filmeditdb.com?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sorry! It looks like my server host migrated me to another server and restarted it afterwards, so I had to re-run the commands to start the webserver. It's back up now.

The tutorial video needs to be updated as well to match with the new layout, but it'll get there.

bassguitarhero fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Feb 18, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

Sorry! It looks like my server host migrated me to another server and restarted it afterwards, so I had to re-run the commands to start the webserver. It's back up now.

The tutorial video needs to be updated as well to match with the new layout, but it'll get there.

Get that stuff in your /etc/init.d pronto! :)

(Thanks)

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

bassguitarhero posted:

Thanks! This is great. You are an awesome person for making this thing.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

If you have any feedback or think of things that could be in there but aren't, hit me up with them, I built it based on my experiences working as an assistant editor on a semi-large doc and working off a FileMaker Pro doc, but there are probably a lot of things I overlooked so if there's ways to improve it, I definitely will

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Is there a way to resize the video track on the timeline in FCPX when it's in just basic clip display form (IE not filmstrip mode)? This is like the one mode that the clip height slider is disabled. I want to like this program but goddamn apple makes some strange UI choices.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Not sure what you mean there, can you show an example?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Is there a way to have Media Encoder add a custom suffix to files in the render queue?

Here's my deal:

I've got a big load of video files that I need to bounce to image sequences, and these files have a complex naming structure that needs to be preserved. The issue is that most of them already end with a number, which Media Encoder latches on to when it starts the render, so if the filename ends with 001.mov I get rendered images ending with 001.jpg, 002.jpg, etc., while what I want is 001_001.jpg, 001_002.jpg, etc.

I'm open to alternative workflows here but I don't want to spend more time messing with this than it would just take to do it manually.

Thanks guys!

Edit: Found a little hack. In the Media Encoder preferences you can append the name of the preset to the output, so I can just make a preset named "0" and get the behavior I'm looking for. Still open to a more elegant solution in case I need to do this again, but this will work for now.

Cyne fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 5, 2015

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Oh yes also remember not to render a 24 FPS sequence from a 23.976 video file otherwise you'll end up with a duplicate of the first frame and no last frame and you'll have to render a hundred shots worth of image sequences for the third time in a day fuuuuuuuuck.

I'm sure there's some fantastic technical reason for the 23.97 / 29.97 thing but I sure as gently caress can't remember what it is right now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cyne posted:

Oh yes also remember not to render a 24 FPS sequence from a 23.976 video file otherwise you'll end up with a duplicate of the first frame and no last frame and you'll have to render a hundred shots worth of image sequences for the third time in a day fuuuuuuuuck.

I'm sure there's some fantastic technical reason for the 23.97 / 29.97 thing but I sure as gently caress can't remember what it is right now.

AC power frequency, isn't it?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

quote:

In order to make video play back at a fixed rate there needs to be some kind of timing circuit. When television was first beginning, there weren’t any of the high tech silcon-based chips that we used for this task today. So the brilliant engineers back then used the oscillation of AC electricty as the basis for their timing circuit. In the US, electricity cycles at 60 times per second (60hz.) So using half of that gives us the frame rate of 30fps. (In Europe, electricity flows at 50hz. 50/2 = 25fps)

So the frame rate of television was actually exactly 30 frames per second at one point in time. However that all changed when color television was introduced. When a signal for color information was added to the television transmission there was a big problem. The color carrier signal was phasing with with the sound carrier signal because they were very close in the spectrum. This made the picture look un-watchable. The quick fix they came up with was to reduce the framerate by .03fps which moved the two signals out of phase.

We have been stuck with this frame rate ever since.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

...and there's the brilliant technical reason. :v:

Thanks, interesting read.

The history of technology is littered with hacks like that developed by necessity and perpetuated simply because they become de facto standards and not because they're actually the best way to do things.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

I always thought there was some brilliant way they converted major motion pictures to play in PAL countries properly.

Turns out they usually just speed it up 4%, and no one knows the difference.

So if a British person ever tells you Brad Pitt has a much deeper voice in person, now you know why.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Seems like they do it with television a lot these days. I think british networks are getting 24fps versions of shows. Even if those shows are usually broadcast at 29.97 in the US

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
So, I can't bring M2T files into any NLE now?

Premiere won't accept them and returns a generic error, FCP grays them out on import, and Streamclip refuses to convert them because there's no Apple MPEG-2 codec present. I'm on a 2011 Macbook running Yosemite, so the codec's apparently supposed to be included in the OS/Quicktime and is clearly not.

I can run everything over to one of my work suites that has AVID and try, but that's not gonna be an efficient way of getting files every time. I don't know how else to get these M2Ts converted or imported, any advice?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've had the same problem with XDCam footage since Yosemite came out, but oddly enough Resolve reads the codec just fine and can output to whatever format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Didn't even think to pull into Resolve to start. Thanks a boatload!