Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Rosalind posted:

Received a Pebble for Christmas. I was so excited.
My condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Where would be the best place to ask for help with Tasker? I'm trying to set up my phone to ring constantly when it's out of range or disconnected from the Pebble. The only recipes I've seen are for when the phone is still connected to the Pebble. I'm not talking about that. I managed to throw my phone away a few days ago in a dumpster, and I had to load up my tablet and use Android Device Manager to locate it.

I know what I want Tasker to do, but I have no idea how to do it, especially regarding variables.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Kameh posted:

Where would be the best place to ask for help with Tasker? I'm trying to set up my phone to ring constantly when it's out of range or disconnected from the Pebble. The only recipes I've seen are for when the phone is still connected to the Pebble. I'm not talking about that. I managed to throw my phone away a few days ago in a dumpster, and I had to load up my tablet and use Android Device Manager to locate it.

I know what I want Tasker to do, but I have no idea how to do it, especially regarding variables.

When setting up the task, just click the 'not' checkbox for connected to bluetooth device _______ (might be called 'invert' or whatever, should be relatively obvious). I wanted to get into it, but my phone apparently never considers the pebble actually connected in the first place, so I can't do any of my fun ideas. It shows up as paired in the bluetooth list and all, but whatever software it's running doesn't think a bluetooth LE connection qualifies as a connection...

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Sentient Data posted:

When setting up the task, just click the 'not' checkbox for connected to bluetooth device _______ (might be called 'invert' or whatever, should be relatively obvious). I wanted to get into it, but my phone apparently never considers the pebble actually connected in the first place, so I can't do any of my fun ideas. It shows up as paired in the bluetooth list and all, but whatever software it's running doesn't think a bluetooth LE connection qualifies as a connection...

This is the issue. If I turn off my Bluetooth, the pebble will be disconnected. But the Bluetooth icon in the status bar doesn't show it's connected, though it is. So I guess it's not read as disconnected if it's out of range because it's LE.

Maybe if I could get Tasker to read the notification in the pull down window that says, "Connecting to Pebble..." or something.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I've been trying to stick with the stock app (especially since the latest beta), but it looks like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bg.pebbler&hl=en might be able to do what you want. No idea if it will conflict with the official app since I only ever saw it touted as a complete replacement, but it's probably worth a try

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Dunn question... now that I've received my replacement Pebble in the mail, how the hell do I remove the old one? On the watch I did a factory reset and on the phone's Bluetooth pairings page I told it to unpair the connection.

But now the Pebble app shows both the old watch and the new one in its devices page, and I have no idea how to get rid of the old one. I've tried press & hold, swiping left and right, double tapping, and the menu key. Am I missing something simple?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SpelledBackwards posted:

Dunn question... now that I've received my replacement Pebble in the mail, how the hell do I remove the old one? On the watch I did a factory reset and on the phone's Bluetooth pairings page I told it to unpair the connection.

But now the Pebble app shows both the old watch and the new one in its devices page, and I have no idea how to get rid of the old one. I've tried press & hold, swiping left and right, double tapping, and the menu key. Am I missing something simple?

Have you tried deleting the app data completely? Installed watch faces and apps should be synced to the pebble account.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

sirbeefalot posted:

Have you tried deleting the app data completely? Installed watch faces and apps should be synced to the pebble account.

That's what I was going to try next; I only have one watch face and 2 apps on there so it's easy to restore. I just find the whole situation odd. I'll see what Pebble super has to say. Thanks.

Chu020
Dec 19, 2005
Only Text
Does anyone else get crazy rapid battery drain if you use your pebble during a run? Just tried for the first time today, with Misfit in the background and Music Boss up to control my phone, and my pebble went from 70% to 30% after 50 minutes. I thought this might be because the backlight is being forced on over and over again, so I'll try turning this off next time, but wanted to see if this is a common thing or if there is some other workaround I should be aware of.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
If I didn't already have a steel I'd definitely be pre ordering the new one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises/description

The interface looks great, so really happy it's going to be coming to old pebbles too (minus the colour).

MeKeV fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 24, 2015

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

MeKeV posted:

If I didn't already have a steel I'd definitely be pre ordering the new one.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises/description

The interface looks great, so really happy it's going to be coming to old pebbles too (minus the colour).

Oh my goodness. Already up to $2.5 million with 13,600 backers?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Apparently much of the new interface is coming to B&W pebbles. Which makes me and my steel happy.

I'm also glad that they're finally giving those up/down buttons more useful uses. I so rarely change my watch face. (Yes I know about the shortcuts)

eltoozero
Jun 5, 2003
The Most Pop-tastic Man of Action.
Hey JavaPay is the new PebbleBucks in case anyone else missed that.

Pebble is useful again.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I dig my steel. Microphone is pretty pointless but the other features are cool I guess.

Not going to lie I really like my steel because it looks like a normal sleek watch and not some obnoxious smart watch. The new one is going towards the latter imo

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I dig my steel. Microphone is pretty pointless but the other features are cool I guess.

Not going to lie I really like my steel because it looks like a normal sleek watch and not some obnoxious smart watch. The new one is going towards the latter imo

It reminds me a lot of those $50 Chinese smartwatches. And let's just say China doesn't know how to design an attractive watch.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
An interesting little tidbit that I've come across,

"To make the launch seem more like an event, the company is planning some surprises, too. Instead of revealing all the product’s secrets right away, it will dribble out subsequent Pebble Time revelations in “a month of fun” following the announcement. Those ordering early will have an opportunity to upgrade their purchases if they prefer whatever deluxe versions may appear in the coming few weeks."

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Yeah the reason I grabbed the Pebble Steel is because I saw a picture of it in an ad or something on Facebook and said "I want that on my wrist" before I even saw what it was. The fact that the weather is on my wrist is just like a bonus.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah, coupled with a nice metal band it's pretty slick. I had a random watchface on and some dude complimented it and asked where I got it. Had no idea it was a smartwatch. Even that surprised me. I have a feeling a lot of people will complain about the look and they'll make some 2.0 version or something

Also I'm looking at getting some smart lightbulbs and I can control them with a pebbleapp. Now that's cool

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 24, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

MeKeV posted:

"To make the launch seem more like an event, the company is planning some surprises, too. Instead of revealing all the product’s secrets right away, it will dribble out subsequent Pebble Time revelations in “a month of fun” following the announcement. Those ordering early will have an opportunity to upgrade their purchases if they prefer whatever deluxe versions may appear in the coming few weeks."

I don't love the new look, it might be smaller but it looks bigger and Fisher price like. Actually with a white on black face I really like the old Pebble, in some ways more than the steel, it looks very sleek.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_4?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kidizoom+smartwatch&sprefix=kidi%2Caps%2C695

lol

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

MeKeV posted:

It'll be interesting to see what deluxe versions appear, but I'm pretty happy with the base model offerings already.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Is this gonna be the first commercial color e-paper/e-ink device? Looking it up, I never realized that the Qualcomm Toq watch actually came out in 2013, but I'm not sure if the IMOD display counts as "e-paper".

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006

Slanderer posted:

Is this gonna be the first commercial color e-paper/e-ink device? Looking it up, I never realized that the Qualcomm Toq watch actually came out in 2013, but I'm not sure if the IMOD display counts as "e-paper".
The screen tech is pretty new, from what I understand, so I wouldn't be surprised.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Slanderer posted:

It's not clear what Pebble is using. It's probably some type of reflective LCD, like their old model, which I wouldn't call e-ink. It's low-power, as opposed to no-power like a Kindle.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

smackfu posted:

It's not clear what Pebble is using. It's probably some type of reflective LCD, like their old model, which I wouldn't call e-ink. It's low-power, as opposed to no-power like a Kindle.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that they were using Sharp's transflective "memory LCD". Ultra-low power, but not e-ink. Whoops.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

smackfu posted:

Transflective!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pebble Time Steel is now on the kickstarter page too, for $265 including shipping.

I still think I might go with the white or red one, even though I like the smaller bezel. I just don't know that it's worth another $75

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 3, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

AFewBricksShy posted:

Pebble Time Steel is now on the kickstarter page too, for $265 including shipping.

I still think I might go with the white or red one, even though I like the smaller bezel. I just don't know that it's worth another $75

If the plastic one doesn't have a glass screen and the steel does then thats worth it to me.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm sad it isn't smaller and sexier than the Pebble Time.

That's one of the reasons I really like the current Pebble Steel, I was waiting to see what would come of a new version but I almost certainly won't upgrade now.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

If the plastic one doesn't have a glass screen and the steel does then thats worth it to me.

They're both glass (and the front bezel of the regular Time is also stainless steel), though the Steel update mentioned the display being laminated to the glass which I didn't see before. Can't imagine they'd do that for one and not the other, but :shrug:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Don Lapre posted:

quote:

Pebble Time is 20% thinner than the original Pebble at just 9.5mm. Its ergonomic, curved design fits comfortably on either wrist and slides easily under dress shirts.

Pebble Time and Pebble Time Steel is stylish and durable. The lens is crafted from scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass with a bezel made of stainless steel. Like our previous watches, it's water resistant - perfect for a run in the rain, water-balloon battle or a swim.

People love to personalize their Pebble watches. We've included a soft silicone band with each Pebble Time and a fine leather band for Pebble Time Steel, but any standard 22mm watch band will fit. All new Pebble watch bands include a quick-release pin, letting you swap bands in under 10 seconds. Now it's super easy to find the perfect style for you!

It looks like they both have the same screen.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Engadget has some hands-on pictures with the new Steel:

I've already upgraded my pledge to the Steel because of the extra battery life but I'm still on the fence about the bezel. The ratio between frame and bezel on the normal Time is enough that you don't really notice either, but it's hard to overlook how small the screen looks compared to the frame around it on the Steel. At least this time the Steel comes with a metal strap instead of it being an upsell...?

Don Lapre posted:

According to the Kickstarter page, both have a glass screen with steel bezel:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/597507018/pebble-time-awesome-smartwatch-no-compromises posted:

Pebble Time and Pebble Time Steel is stylish and durable. The lens is crafted from scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass with a bezel made of stainless steel.

e:fb

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So I can control my limitless led wifi lights from my pebble. The future is now.

(New pebble is still ugly. Steel or not)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
What do you have in your 8 allowed slots?

Mine (not in order):

1: Swarm
2: Yelp
3: Pixel Miner
4: Pebblets*
5: Glance*
6: YWeather*
7: Modern
8: Fancy Watch*

*These are in "testing mode" and might be replaced.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I use

Readebble
Mixup
TrekV2
Multi Timer
Timer
91 Dub v2.0

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Swiss
Pebblets
TrekV2
Magic Watch (8-Ball simulator - ask a question and shake your wrist)
Classic
Maurice (my all day, every day)
PebbleTasker

And an empty spot.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Alright, I'll play along:

Battery Lifetime
Javapay
Simple Stopwatch
Compass

And my watchface is and always will be Modern Revisited

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Fuzzy Analog
Pandora
Multi Timer
Pixel Miner
Weather Land

I've been using the basic digital face because its super easy to read at work, I am a terrible smart watch user. Just added Weather Land after posting this, looks nice! Can't wait to see some of these in color.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 24, 2015

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Music Boss
PebbleTasker
NavMe
Premier League Scores
AutoPebble (not really set anything up yet though)
MultiTimer
PlexFit
Canvas (My custom watchface)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Smartwatch+
Text Watch (with the o')- This is my default
Futura Weather
Marked 2