Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Acne Rain posted:

theory from early season 1 that's not really held anymore.
1.) episode one "many zombies are mistaken for teenagers"
2.) van has "zombies rule" graffiti
3.) "rob zombie"

Plus his parents turned out to be funeral directors. It's not a theory with a whole lot of evidence though, I just find it charming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

CuwiKhons posted:

Plus his parents turned out to be funeral directors. It's not a theory with a whole lot of evidence though, I just find it charming.

That episode began with him moaning and lying in an open grave, too.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Yeah but that's just because he's a big ol' goth weenie.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Yeah, probably.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also during one episode the gang is standing in front of a mirror and robbie isn't reflected

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
That's vampires, not zombies.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
no, vampires sparkle with a distinct after effects plugin and zombies have no reflection get it right

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I'm not about to comb through this thread for anyone who's already pointed it out, but apparently there's a "Certificate of Mystery", presumably by Dipper, in the official handbook. It looks innocent enough, but the borders have a barely visible cipher hidden in it that, when decoded, read:

quote:

By signing this official document, you are hereby agreeing to dedicate your life, your afterlife, and any potential clone-lives to the discovery, uncovery (Is that a word?), and exploration of the paranormal, the alter-average, and the extra-usual. When friends ask you to stop being paranoid, you will scoff. When they say that you’ve been acting really weird since you read that book and they don’t even recognize you anymore, that means they’re jealous/you are like me now. We are part a higher calling. We will meet one day and on that glorious day we will show the small-minded doubters we were right all along, and are also really cool, and they should have been nicer to us. Okay that’s about it. This sort of sounds like a supervillain manifesto in retrospect. But you get the gist.

What was once a certificate is now a thickly veiled binding contract (to a 12-year-old child). At least Bill was transparent about his vague and easily manipulated terms. The Tumblr I got this information from went on to talk about how Bill and the general weirdness of Gravity Falls, the town, does no favors for Dipper's general obsession with blowing the lid off some long-standing conspiracy. And also Rumble McSkirmish might be right when he called Dipper the last stage.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

A clip from the next episode!

Pig secured!

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
"What did I do that warrants this much...arresting?!"

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Finally we will get the answer to why Stan said that The Duchess Approves was just like his life. :v:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I think I may have binged all of season 1, dippers guide to the unexplained and up to the latest season 2 episode in like a week or so.

I don't know what to do now, but I can tell you this: Gigantic face island freaked me the hell out. :stare:

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Have you listened to it reversed yet? That will really tingle your spine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

We gots a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aM0oghrHOA

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Have you listened to it reversed yet? That will really tingle your spine.
Yuuup.

I did also appreciate how dipper was more freaked out by bear-o.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Holy crap, there's already, like, at least 5 related videos that analyzes the trailer. It's only 30 seconds long, and half the clips are from previous episodes. Sometimes I just don't get fandom.

El Tortuga fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 3, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

El Tortuga posted:

Holy crap, there's already, like, at least 5 related videos that analyses the trailer. It's only 30 seconds long, and half the clips are from previous episodes. Sometimes I just don't get fandom.

Don't go into the GF subreddit. Half of it is 'Dipcifica' pictures.

Dude, 12 year olds.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

El Tortuga posted:

Holy crap, there's already, like, at least 5 related videos that analyses the trailer. It's only 30 seconds long, and half the clips are from previous episodes. Sometimes I just don't get fandom.

Good lord, some people have way too much time.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

There's always been that moment in the intro where everything starts floating, and now it's actually going to happen in an episode!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
More like Gravity Fails, am I right? Guys? Guys?

I'm looking forward to this.

WrathOfBlade
May 30, 2011

quote:

...the Gravity Falls you've been waiting for!

Every Gravity Falls is a Gravity Falls we've had to wait for.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And now, more than ever!

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Falken posted:

I think I may have binged all of season 1, dippers guide to the unexplained and up to the latest season 2 episode in like a week or so.

I don't know what to do now, but I can tell you this: Gigantic face island freaked me the hell out. :stare:

Then you've still got Mabel's shorts, Fixin it with Soos, and a couple other odds and ends waiting for you!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

don Jaime posted:

Then you've still got Mabel's shorts, Fixin it with Soos, and a couple other odds and ends waiting for you!
Watched Mabel's shorts, still wondering how she's still breathing to be honest. :v:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I've been watching some of the Danish dub lately and it's really jarring how they insisted on keeping every name in the show in English. So you have a couple of kids and their Uncle Stan and they talk about Oregon, pioneer day and the president of the United States in Danish. They still translate less important stuff and jokes, for example Mr. Adequate-bar is translated to Bras-bar (like Mars-bar, literally "junk bar").
Every episode feels like that one Awkward Zombie comic, except it's 22 minutes long and animated.

Also almost every single monster and bad guy in the Danish dub is voiced by Sheriff Blubs.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Spergminer posted:

Every episode feels like that one Awkward Zombie comic, except it's 22 minutes long and animated.

That's basically Big Hero 6. Except San Francisco

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Spergminer posted:

I've been watching some of the Danish dub lately and it's really jarring how they insisted on keeping every name in the show in English. So you have a couple of kids and their Uncle Stan and they talk about Oregon, pioneer day and the president of the United States in Danish. They still translate less important stuff and jokes, for example Mr. Adequate-bar is translated to Bras-bar (like Mars-bar, literally "junk bar").

Also almost every single monster and bad guy in the Danish dub is voiced by Sheriff Blubs.

I don't know, from your description it's a pretty decent localisation. Moving the location of the show to Denmark would be weird, on the other hand. Is it something that usually happens with kids cartoons in your country?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Spergminer posted:

What do you use to watch? I'm still wondering if there's a way to see them in foreign dubs like those wacky Russian ones

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Spergminer posted:

Uh...that's like the opposite of that Awkward Zombie comic, dude. If it was like the Awkward Zombie comic everything would be set in 'Denmark' while actually blatantly being American.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Paladinus posted:

I don't know, from your description it's a pretty decent localisation. Moving the location of the show to Denmark would be weird, on the other hand. Is it something that usually happens with kids cartoons in your country?
Back in the 80's/90's Disney actually translated a lot the text on-screen (signs, storefronts, etc.) to Danish and then pasted the new text on top of the old.
It's a little thing, but not having the characters read all notes, posters and signs out loud every time was great. I get that they cannot do a total Ducktales-like localisation due to the few extremely American episodes, but the "talking, reading a note out loud, talking again" segments in the dub are never paced very well.
It's kind of hard to show concrete examples without any video, but the Dr. Medicine Joke is the worst offender, the paper is on screen for 2 seconds. On top of that, Danish isn't a very fast language so "Stan er syg og har brug for en bjørn. Doktor Medicin" in 2 seconds, followed by normal talking stands out like a sore thumb.

I bring up Ducktales, because they changed the names of everything in the show to the comic names, so it could take place anywhere. Most of the time Danish cartoons also omit country and state names, which is why the Oregon part of GF bugs me when it shouldn't.

In conclusion: I'm too used to my overly translated cartoons taking place in either Denmark or [_______] and not anywhere specific with any sorts of real life history. :911:

Alan Smithee posted:

What do you use to watch? I'm still wondering if there's a way to see them in foreign dubs like those wacky Russian ones
Stan sounds like a normal old man, not as gruff as the English version. Soos is using a jutlandic dialect when he's speaking, he sounds like a farmer. And of course Blubs doing every bad guy. The English dub is still superior.

I just watch it on the Disney channel if I catch it while zapping around. The official Danish GF site leads to a 404 link when you click on "videos", but I found this for you on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW1huwSBTCs

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Danish Mabel sounds awesome. That voice actor is really having fun.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

She really does. That's a lot more enthusiasm than I'm used to hearing from foreign language dubs.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Spergminer posted:

Back in the 80's/90's Disney actually translated a lot the text on-screen (signs, storefronts, etc.) to Danish and then pasted the new text on top of the old.
It's a little thing, but not having the characters read all notes, posters and signs out loud every time was great.
Speaking of translated text in Disney products, a question, probably a little bit off-topic : was Big Hero 6 dubbed in your language for theaters? And if so, which names appeared at the end credits for the actors, the original voices or the ones of the Denmark dub? I'm wondering if that little oddity (in France) was spread world-wide.

X_Toad fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 4, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Spergminer posted:

In conclusion: I'm too used to my overly translated cartoons taking place in either Denmark or [_______] and not anywhere specific with any sorts of real life history. :911:

From what I've heard, Disney and other studios usually have guidelines regarding what and how should be translated. I know that in Russian Duck Tales and Darkwing Duck dubs characters' names were mostly adapted to include puns, but I guess due to budget constraints they never translated on-screen text.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
A reminder that a new episode airs tonight.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Mraagvpeine posted:

Already? How far ahead did Daylight Savings Time send us?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

Geez cutting it close aren't you? I almost missed it.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

El Tortuga posted:

Already? How far ahead did Daylight Savings Time send us?

7̃0 minutes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Stan is just like my uncle......

N-not an unnamed grifter! It can't be true!

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
Oh, that taxi cab trick... :golfclap:

• Locked thread