Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

sarmhan posted:

Ojutai's command is a good card. No, it isn't cryptic, but it is still a modal card with good options. Probably not good enough for modern but definitely good enough for standard. As people are saying, having situational modes is fine- the life gain will be irrelevant except when you're facing an aggressive deck when it might just save you.

The problem is that its a control card and UW control isn't terribly playable so far (we're 15 cards into a 250 card set, of course). UW Heroic probably has no interest in this (its not very widely played anymore either) and Jeskai as currently built has no real use for it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
^^Jeskai tokens is a very good deck with a few important weaknesses, anything that shores up those weaknesses could catapult it back into the realm of T1. Jeskai control was also once a very good deck and could be once again.

Guys I think in the wake of these ho-hum cards we are missing the real discussion which is how the return of Rebound totally makes Goblinslide and Scroll of the Masters the hottest tech in the magic multiverse

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I Love You! posted:

^^Jeskai tokens is a very good deck with a few important weaknesses, anything that shores up those weaknesses could catapult it back into the realm of T1

Guys I think in the wake of these ho-hum cards we are missing the real discussion which is how the return of Rebound totally makes Goblinslide and Scroll of the Masters the hottest tech in the magic multiverse

The operative problem being that it doesn't counter Drown in Sorrow, Anger of the Gods or Bile Blight, all of which are responsible for that deck not being T1. If those cards didn't exist, Tokens would be tough to beat.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I Love You! posted:

^^Jeskai tokens is a very good deck with a few important weaknesses, anything that shores up those weaknesses could catapult it back into the realm of T1. Jeskai control was also once a very good deck and could be once again.

I unironically think Goblinslide is a good card that doesn't have the right support cards printed to make it work.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I Love You! posted:

Yes but you can "protect" a Seeker or Soulfire that died on t2 or t3 which makes up for it depending on the deck. It's not a tempo card, it's a value card built around trading up.

I'm just saying that the Jsekai Aggro deck would much rather get to save a creature with a God's Willing effect and draw than return a creature and draw. The deck that wants to counter a Siege Rhino or a Tasigur and Draw is a much more reactive controlling deck.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

I unironically think Goblinslide is a good card that doesn't have the right support cards printed to make it work.

I'm what world is Goblinslide better than just casting a Hordeling Outburst

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I Love You! posted:

Yeah can't wait to do that in limited...oh wait....

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

Magical Christmas World.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

bhsman posted:

Goblinslide is a really bad Bitterblossom impersonator in an environment where they printed Hordeling Outburst.

That said, in the correct imaginary environment (a controlly one) along with rebound spells/lots of cantrips, I could see it potentially slotting into a very specific deck. However I don't think that environment is likely to ever congeal. (I'm going to be brewing with it super hard though because rebound is way too fun to ignore).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Countering a creature spell is fine nowadays, because the games most powerful effects have shifted to being on creatures. BACK IN THE DAY™ this wouldn't have been great, but now I can see it being fine.

On the other hand, I am not completely convinced that this command is amazing. Seems like a more color dependent Dismiss to me.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bugsy posted:

Seeing as Biorhythm is banned what is the likeliness that this dude will also be banned?

And Somberwald Sage saw a decent amount of play when it was legal including as a four of in a GP winning deck.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1070605

Despite joking around earlier, I don't think Shaman is utter garbage, but I also think tapping for 3 mana is a lot better than tapping for 2 so I don't know that I'd compare it 1-1 to Somberwald Sage.

This is assuming the biorhythm ability is going to be useless 99% of the time.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

This is assuming the biorhythm ability is going to be useless 99% of the time.

If all else fails, I don't think you have to worry about this being an incorrect thing to assume.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

You seem to like doing this thing where me saying I like one card means I'm not allowed to use another good card. Hell, you can use both and get 4 Goblins for 4 mana.

I Love You! posted:

Goblinslide is a really bad Bitterblossom impersonator in an environment where they printed Hordeling Outburst.

That said, in the correct imaginary environment (a controlly one) along with rebound spells/lots of cantrips, I could see it potentially slotting into a very specific deck. However I don't think that environment is likely to ever congeal. (I'm going to be brewing with it super hard though because rebound is way too fun to ignore).

Lots of cheap cantrips was the idea, though Rebound's...return...has certainly helped that as well. It would basically function as a worse Lightning Rift that gives you creatures for board presence and makes Rabblemaster that much better.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The difference between Shaman and Biorhythm is that stapling the ability to an activated creature ability means you can't ever cheat it out. I don't think its remotely as bannable in EDH, although I'm not a big fan of EDH.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

bhsman posted:

You seem to like doing this thing where me saying I like one card means I'm not allowed to use another good card. Hell, you can use both and get 4 Goblins for 4 mana.

Lots of cheap cantrips was the idea, though Rebound's...return...has certainly helped that as well. It would basically function as a worse Lightning Rift that gives you creatures for board presence and makes Rabblemaster that much better.

The card that makes rabblemaster much better already exists and it's called Stoke the Flames. Having extra goblins in play doesn't really change rabble at all. Either they have an answer for it and kill it, or they don't and die. Having it deal 2-3 extra points of damage isn't going to change things.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I Love You! posted:

The card that makes rabblemaster much better already exists and it's called Stoke the Flames. Having extra goblins in play doesn't really change rabble at all. Either they have an answer for it and kill it, or they don't and die. Having it deal 2-3 extra points of damage isn't going to change things.

Again, why are you assuming you can't run Goblinslide and Stoke in that sort of deck?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

bhsman posted:

Again, why are you assuming you can't run Goblinslide and Stoke in that sort of deck?

Because the other 52 slots are currently taken up with cards that do things. I like goblinslide. I'm going to brew with goblinslide and rebound. It is not a good card right now. That is the unfortunate truth here and you shouldn't get too worked up about people brushing off a pet card that hasn't yet put up anything close to tournament results. It's not a personal attack when someone points out another card that does the same thing significantly better, it's just A Thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

My current Standard pet card is Dictate of Heliod. Almost every time I play it (and my win % with it in sanctioned MODO games is actually pretty good for a gimmick deck) I get some snide comment from the opponent about it, despite me enjoying my 3/3 Cat soldiers, 3/3 Goblin tokens and 5/6 Brimaz quite a bit.

I think I'm gonna add it to my paper R/W deck for amusement purposes.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Now that dictate has put up some results I imagine you'll get significantly more sad groans. gently caress that card and gently caress the 3/3 elves punching me in the head with it.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

My current Standard pet card is Dictate of Heliod. Almost every time I play it (and my win % with it in sanctioned MODO games is actually pretty good for a gimmick deck) I get some snide comment from the opponent about it, despite me enjoying my 3/3 Cat soldiers, 3/3 Goblin tokens and 5/6 Brimaz quite a bit.

The best thing about playing rogue brews is definitely the salty reactions you get when you manage to win.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Angry Grimace posted:

Didn't Wescoe play that in the modern pro tour?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Incredibly useless looking "Mythic"

:siren: NEW COMMAND CYCLE :siren:

Cool, throwbacks in a time travel set.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

I Love You! posted:

Because the other 52 slots are currently taken up with cards that do things. I like goblinslide. I'm going to brew with goblinslide and rebound. It is not a good card right now.

I don't think it's a good card right now, either, which was entirely the point.

quote:

It's not a personal attack when someone points out another card that does the same thing significantly better, it's just A Thing.

I never said it was a personal attack, but the phrasing here:

quote:

That is the unfortunate truth here and you shouldn't get too worked up about people brushing off a pet card that hasn't yet put up anything close to tournament results.

Pet card? I just said I thought it was good (but only in the right environment). Accusing people of things they never said and then brushing that off as not being a personal attack is kinda lacking in logical consistency, y'know? :v: My point was that you and KingofSprings both responded with "Why would you play that over X???" as though you could only choose one. All I did was call you out on it.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that its a control card and UW control isn't terribly playable so far (we're 15 cards into a 250 card set, of course). UW Heroic probably has no interest in this (its not very widely played anymore either) and Jeskai as currently built has no real use for it either.
Various UWX control decks have been floating around for a while, and we have 18 months for a UW control shell to become playable in standard. Seems really strange to talk about that at this point.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Jeskai Sage seems the most likely two drop to get back for control. Return him, draw a card, in the future draw another card! Such value.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Shaman's second ability is probably designed to a specific subset of Johnny's. It's a strong ability in certain circumstances, but those circumstances are difficult to set up. Some people (myself included) have fun trying to gain value or win in weird and goofy ways, and if that ability were easier to activate it wouldn't be as fun.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
UW Control has been floating around the wings in the Open series for some time, with Jim Davis and That Other Guy™ making decent strides with it. I also have been playing with it for a month and I've been waiting for this new set to show some cool new additions for the deck. The command looks pretty sweet, although the first ability will take some work to use as no lists I have seen really run the rams anymore. It does interact nicely with soulfire grandmaster, which is a sideboard option against jeskai tokens as well as mono red, so it can certainly be a great play against swings against those decks. Countering a target creature spell seems fine, I wish it was unconditional but thems the breaks, and it will certainly have its moments for sure. I am curious to see how many I will try to jam, and where they will go. I think the first mode is going to be something to watch out for as the spoilers keep coming.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

How many hard, unconditional counters without wonky drawbacks are a single blue in their casting cost? I'm sure there are some, but I'm drawing a blank.

Also maybe the Silumgar command has the other half, to spread the mechanic out a little.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
New Shaman + In Garruk's Wake.

Wizards, how dare you print a 2 card combo :argh:

...That costs 20 mana and a bunch of other creatures.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sarmhan posted:

Various UWX control decks have been floating around for a while, and we have 18 months for a UW control shell to become playable in standard. Seems really strange to talk about that at this point.

No it isn't. I can't comment on information I don't know. I can comment on information I do know, which is that UW control hasn't very good simply because white doesn't add much that black can't add.

qbert posted:

New Shaman + In Garruk's Wake.

Wizards, how dare you print a 2 card combo :argh:

...That costs 20 mana and a bunch of other creatures.

A combo which would be a lot better if the Shaman could contribute to casting In Garruk's Wake. :negative:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Starving Autist posted:

The best thing about playing rogue brews is definitely the salty reactions you get when you manage to win.
Absolutely true. I still get people scoffing at me for running Nighthowler in Sidisi Whip, usually right before or right after my 11/11 satyr wayfinder stomps their head in.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

UW control needs a 2 CMC creature so that one of the modes isn't dead. Unfortunately yet again Wizards chooses to callously leave Wall of Omens out of Standard.

edit: vv Mana Leak isn't unconditional, and there are actually a ton of blue spells in the same vein as it.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 3, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

How many hard, unconditional counters without wonky drawbacks are a single blue in their casting cost? I'm sure there are some, but I'm drawing a blank.

Also maybe the Silumgar command has the other half, to spread the mechanic out a little.

Without drawbacks? None, even Counterspell is 2 blue mana.

I mean, you're talking Mana Leak and nothing.

mcmagic posted:

Didn't Wescoe play that in the modern pro tour?

He played a Doran, the Siege Tower Abzan tokens deck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 3, 2015

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

sarmhan posted:

In terms of sweepers and finishers, UB and UW are pretty even. I think its just cheap white removal that's holding UW back.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

rabidsquid posted:

UW control needs a 2 CMC creature so that one of the modes isn't dead. Unfortunately yet again Wizards chooses to callously leave Wall of Omens out of Standard.

Actually, Omenspeaker wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Terrible Horse posted:

In terms of sweepers and finishers, UB and UW are pretty even. I think its just cheap white removal that's holding UW back.

Black as the secondary color gives you access to Crux (which potentially becomes less good with Hot Pink Bolt Dragon and Stormbreath around and any other dragons of note) and a poo poo-load of other black removal.

qbert posted:

Actually, Omenspeaker wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Orator of Ojutai :v:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Angry Grimace posted:

Without drawbacks? None, even Counterspell is 2 blue mana.
I meant any CMC, but only 1 blue symbol. There is Fall of the Gavel and Dromar's Charm, now that I've gone through the list, unless I missed one. Kinda cute comparing those two to this spell.

Dromar's Charm is real good if you can cast it, though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Psychic Strike is the main one I can think of.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I meant any CMC, but only 1 blue symbol. There is Fall of the Gavel and Dromar's Charm, now that I've gone through the list, unless I missed one. Kinda cute comparing those two to this spell.

Dromar's Charm is real good if you can cast it, though.

Power Sink!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Spiderdrake posted:

There are three, and two come from Return to Ravnica. Dromar's Charm, Fall of the Gavel, and Psychic Strike.

He said hard counter, that means no paying mana or whatever to get around it.

• Locked thread