Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

For some reason, that list doesn't have the most recent game. It's still Japan only and there isn't a fan translation out for it.

You're also going to have to learn what Synchro, Xyz and Pendulum. Archetypes are much more of a thing as well. You fine to look this or up or do you want an explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mysticblade posted:

For some reason, that list doesn't have the most recent game. It's still Japan only and there isn't a fan translation out for it.

You're also going to have to learn what Synchro, Xyz and Pendulum. Archetypes are much more of a thing as well. You fine to look this or up or do you want an explanation?

I'd like some explanations, please. I think I've got the various summoning methods down (assuming they work like in the shows), but I'm completely lost when looking at archetypes. For example, what's a good one for someone just starting out to look for?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Agent Rush posted:

I'd like some explanations, please. I think I've got the various summoning methods down (assuming they work like in the shows), but I'm completely lost when looking at archetypes. For example, what's a good one for someone just starting out to look for?

I'd say Blue-Eyes, start off with the structure deck that got released last year and just tinker the poo poo out of it as you try it out. It's not the best archetype in the world but there are plenty of ways of running it.

Unless I misunderstood your question, you're being kinda vague.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 3, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Agent Rush posted:

Skull Servant, because he is simple. Put more Skulls in grave your big guy kicks more rear end. Go.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

So nowadays you have to build a deck based on summoning a monster from a certain group? Seems interesting, there's definitely more opportunity for varied summons. Synchro seems like coolest (and the simplest) one, nothing like silver looking cards

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You dont, but like elemental HEROs if you want them to be really effective and have access to the big boss monster you use them with more of their kind.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I would say that you do but that it isn't as rigid as it used to be. Take for instance my mildly successful "dog" deck from almost a year back.

This loving stupid thing worked and was able to compete with that meta, somehow... And no there isn't a "dog" archetype, I just stuffed a bunch of un-related dog cards into a deck along with appropriate support and made it work.

There are plenty of synchro archetypes to try out but with the exception of Tele-dad they aren't exactly what I would call simple.

EDIT: Also, and this is important,

Noble Knights have always and will always be terrible.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Mar 3, 2015

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If you want a deck that lets you test out all the new weird poo poo at once, use the D/D/D archetype: a Pendulum archetype that features Synchro monsters, XYZ monsters, and Fusion monsters! Also, monsters with names like "D/D/D Complete Oblivion Overlord, Hell Ragnarok," which rules.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DDD's are neither easy to play or to build a deck for though. There are so many ways to screw up the combo plays or overextend.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 3, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Xoidanor posted:

EDIT: Also, and this is important,

Noble Knights have always and will always be terrible.

Not really, you just need to be smart.

That most meta decks are going for trapless builds it only help us.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Speaking as someone who frequently gets confused by my own plays while using the D-K-Donkey Kongs, I did not say anything to those effect. It's a true statement.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Easiest deck to build and play: U.A.
No extra deck stuff, just sportsmen hitting people with bats and then throwing baseballs at their cards. Deck itself costs like nothing now that Royal Decree is reprinted.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Really though if I can make an Ojama deck work in this day and age you can do anything if you put your mind to it. Ganbare, Goon-kun

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Nutellas are other easy to use deck

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
But seriously, you want an easy deck? Skull Servants. No fancy poo poo, no funky summons to worry about (though I mean the deck works well with XYZ monsters generally but you catch my drift,) just put your guys in the grave and suddenly your skeleton man has like 8000 attack jesus christ he just tore Obelisk the Tormentor in half

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think there's anything easier to build and play then Vanilla Pendulums at the moment and that poo poo is tier 2.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I still want to make Gradius good. I mean not Gradius the card, but all the cards like it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

I still want to make Gradius good. I mean not Gradius the card, but all the cards like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTe9U2teXkY&spfreload=10 :getin:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a year and a half old though and the game's shifted up about six gears since then. And he's cherry-picking hard in that video.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Xoidanor posted:

I don't think there's anything easier to build and play then Vanilla Pendulums at the moment and that poo poo is tier 2.

Oh wow, that really did look simple and awesome. And I thought normal monsters weren't useful anymore, guess I was mistaken. I really don't know poo poo about the current game, huh.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

That's a year and a half old though and the game's shifted up about six gears since then. And he's cherry-picking hard in that video.

You'll just have to wait for the inevitable wave of more legacy support if that is the case. I mean Cyber Dragons were just as gimmicky until the last pack which launched them straight to tier 1 so you never know.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Carlosologist posted:

As someone who was super into Yu-Gi-Oh and the card game back in the day (like the only rules I'm really familiar with are GX ones :v:), I'd like to get a better understanding of what exactly is happening. Are there any games out? I still play Tag Force from time to time whenever the itch to play arises

I've been liking the Arc V Tag Force Special game a lot. It's Japanese only and, being a 2015 PSP game, doesn't have a hope of being localized, but if you're an idiot like me patient enough, it shouldn't be too hard to look up what the cards you don't recognize do. It's got most of the newest cards, and is probably your best bet if Devpro doesn't have enough flashy graphics or anime shouting for you.

It also throws characters from every series at you, which is fun fanservice, even if the AI partner is pretty dumb sometimes. Please stop sacrificing your Blue-Eyes just summon another Blue-Eyes goddammit, Kaiba.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

It also throws characters from every series at you, which is fun fanservice, even if the AI partner is pretty dumb sometimes. Please stop sacrificing your Blue-Eyes just summon another Blue-Eyes goddammit, Kaiba.
make yugi your partner and see if he just raw attacks giant soldier of stone into stuff it has no chance of beating

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh wow, that really did look simple and awesome. And I thought normal monsters weren't useful anymore, guess I was mistaken. I really don't know poo poo about the current game, huh.

Before Pendulums came out, I ran an enchanted fitting room deck that had a ton of success. Even with Pendulum monsters making swarming a hell of a lot easier, it's still pretty useful for maintaining card advantage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if a card exists, you can come up with some moronic gimmick to make it work. doesn't matter what it is.

you might not win a *ton*, but you'll at least win some.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
When I was more into Yu-Gi-Oh a couple years ago, I had put together a Madolche deck with help from my roommates. It might not be the easiest thing to play especially in the current Yu-Gi-Oh environment, but I loved recycling monsters and making sure that they stayed out of the Graveyard.

Also they're adorable as hell.

e: Oh my god they have a new Xyz Monster that's a powered-up Puddingcess holy poo poo

Alfalfa The Roach fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 3, 2015

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Unfortunately their new monster is pretty rubbish. I was super disappointed when they announced it. :sigh:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I run a Blue-Eyes deck and it's surprisingly far more practical than it ever was especially with Maiden with Eyes of Blue, a card so silly and dumb it effectively makes the whole deck super powerful. My other deck though is Yosenju cards which is pile-on the deck.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Blue Eyes and Yosenju are both really fun decks. I like UAs because their thesis statement is "people do too many things in this game." They're basically a wrestling heel tag team that stop the opponent from doing anything and tagging in and out all the time. To prove the point, my build runs two different traps: 3x Royal Decree (no Traps), and 2x Breakthrough Skill (no Effect)

(Mighty Slugger: Opponent can't activate effects until end of damage step when I attack
Perfect Ace: Once/Opponent's Turn, Negate and Destroy opponent's S/T/M Effect
Goalkeeper: Once/Opponent's Turn, Target a UA, this turn it can't be destroyed by opponent's monster or card effects
Midfielder: Once/Either Turn, Target another UA, Special Summon a UA with a different name from Hand
All UA: Return a different named UA to hand to Special Summon this card from hand.)

Senerio fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 4, 2015

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I run Naturias because the combination of terrifying negation and :3: as hell little disney animals and plants is just fantastic. But Konami has this weird habit of printing Naturia fusion monsters that are totally useless to the deck because of how stupidly hard they are to summon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Senerio posted:

Blue Eyes and Yosenju are both really fun decks. I like UAs because their thesis statement is "people do too many things in this game." They're basically a wrestling heel tag team that stop the opponent from doing anything and tagging in and out all the time. To prove the point, my build runs two different traps: 3x Royal Decree (no Traps), and 2x Breakthrough Skill (no Effect)

(Mighty Slugger: Opponent can't activate effects until end of damage step when I attack
Perfect Ace: Once/Opponent's Turn, Negate and Destroy opponent's S/T/M Effect
Goalkeeper: Once/Opponent's Turn, Target a UA, this turn it can't be destroyed by opponent's monster or card effects
Midfielder: Once/Either Turn, Target another UA, Special Summon a UA with a different name from Hand
All UA: Return a different named UA to hand to Special Summon this card from hand.)

I played a dude who ran a UA deck and I honestly had a lot of fun doing it. It was nice being able to fight an opponent who didn't nuke my field with Judgment Dragons or Xyz me to death, but instead just effectively used one monster the whole time to lockdown my field. It also made it a lot more satisfying when I eventually got my Blue-Eyes' on the field and ran a train on his UA monsters. I still lost, but it was fun putting up a fight against such strong monsters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

How is a Blue-Eyes deck meant to look/work? I'm honestly interested, as someone who only played back in the good ol' days before these Synchro and Xyz and Pendulum things.

I was still poo poo back then, so you know, I didn't have any idea of strategy but I still had fun!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
In this day and age a Blue-Eyes deck revolves around just getting them out with weaker monsters/cards. In general monsters like Maiden of Blue Eyes, White Egg of Legend, and even Kaibaman are really useful to have and Shining Angels make them even easier to summon. Once you get a monster out with the former two monsters you can synchron summon an Azure-Eyes Silver Dragon, which is of the most important monsters to a Blue-Eyes deck. Every standby phase you get to summon a normal dragon from the Graveyard and once it's summoned, the opponent can't do a thing about them until the end of their following turn. You just run a train on the opponent with monsters that have ridiculous life points and it's surprisingly very viable.

Even playing against people with tournament level decks it's surprisingly not impractical. You will get hit a lot, but once you get them out there aren't a lot of monsters that can just stop a Blue-Eyes in pure attack power. You still have to worry about monster effects of course, but the biggest plus the deck has is that Blue-Eyes' in your graveyard is preferable to having them in your deck or hand because of cards like Call of the Haunted, Silver's Cry, and of course, Azure-Eyes and Maiden. The Saga of the Blue-Eyes structure deck is actually a really good place to start and then you can build off of it from there if you want to. More Maidens and Azure-Eyes' are never a bad thing and Blue-Eyes Ultimate is also a card worth adding as well along with Dragon's Mirror or Polymerization.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Yeah, UA monsters are terrifying when used right. It's probably the strongest of my current decks. (I also use Hunder, Ghostrick, and Gusto at varying levels of usefulness.)

My favorite XYZ to use against people who spam XYZ is Unformed Void (3L4 monsters, Once/turn, during the opponent's Main Phase, detach 1, this card gains attack/defense equal to the total ATK of all your opponent's XYZ monsters. This is a quick effect) Since I don't have millions of dollars for the various toolbox Rank 4s (loving $60 for Lavalval chain?) it works well enough.

Also, another card that's useful for Blue Eyes Deck if you're using Ultimate anyway is Five Headed Dragon. It's equally as simple to summon and stronger. You can put it in defense to wall against ARK.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 4, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, the FGD is a really good card for a Blue-Eyes deck since your main gimmick will end up being dragons at the end of the day.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
A fun card to have in any deck with a tuner is Colossal Fighter. It's basically a free "gently caress You" to any warrior deck, and if they manage to get over it in battle? It summons itself! Just protect it from other destruction effects.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Do you run Amulet Dragon in a Blue-Eyes deck?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

VJeff posted:

Do you run Amulet Dragon in a Blue-Eyes deck?

No? Why would you?

You run Amulet Dragon in a Dark Magician deck.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dexie posted:

No? Why would you?

You run Amulet Dragon in a Dark Magician deck.

You're already running Dragon's Mirror... :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Burning Abyss is a fun, if incredibly expensive deck!

Its archetype is summed up in this massive image: