Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Terrible Horse posted:

In terms of sweepers and finishers, UB and UW are pretty even. I think its just cheap white removal that's holding UW back.

B also has access to Thoughtseize and a cheap, solid threat in Ashiok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Memory Lapse depending on your definition of "Counter"

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

qbert posted:

Actually, Omenspeaker wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Omenspeaker and Jeskai Sage are both not terrible.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Memory Lapse is just the "gently caress you" version of Remand.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I Love You! posted:

Memory Lapse depending on your definition of "Counter"

I count putting the spell on top as a drawback. There's also Remand, and Vex which counters the spell but lets the opponent draw a card.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Every creature that is not Wall of Omens is in fact, bad.

edit: Oh sorry Sea Gate Oracle and Mulldrifter are not bad.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 3, 2015

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Chamale posted:

I count putting the spell on top as a drawback. There's also Remand, and Vex which counters the spell but lets the opponent draw a card.

Man putting a spell back on top is definitely not a drawback in decks running memory lapse

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Chamale posted:

I count putting the spell on top as a drawback.
For them, maybe.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

rabidsquid posted:

Every creature that is not Wall of Omens is in fact, bad.

Wall of Blossoms is so salty right now.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father

Angry Grimace posted:

Black as the secondary color gives you access to Crux (which potentially becomes less good with Hot Pink Bolt Dragon and Stormbreath around and any other dragons of note) and a poo poo-load of other black removal.

Orator of Ojutai :v:

White has some things going for it. Elspeth is so very nice, Brimaz and Soulfire are great sideboard cards against decks featuring red, and exile effects effects are nice against decks that work around recursion. Also, enchantment removal tends to rise and fall as ascendancy decks become more and less popular. It's not as strong as Black, but I feel it's a strong card or two away from being a real contender.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

B also has access to Thoughtseize and a cheap, solid threat in Ashiok.

Not to mention Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrow, etc. to stuff aggro. If D-Sphere were still around that might help that situation a bit, but alas.

Deofuta posted:

White has some things going for it. Elspeth is so very nice, Brimaz and Soulfire are great sideboard cards against decks featuring red, and exile effects effects are nice against decks that work around incursion. Also, enchantment removal tends to rise and fall as ascendancy decks become more and less popular. It's not as strong as Black, but I feel it's a strong card or two away from being a real contender.

Its not that its straight-up bad, its just that its so rarely operating at instant speed the way black can with BB and Downfall and Ugin is a better Wrath effect than Elspeth is.

Granted, we have a control clan in UW coming up, so we'll see where it goes.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

To be fair Jeskai was generally pretty aggressive in Khans, UW control might get some new tools with Ojutai.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

qbert posted:

Wall of Blossoms is so salty right now.

It made the poor decision to be in a color that doesn't have flicker effects. Also it isn't even the coolest green wall!!

edit: Wall chat what is every best wall for every color. Blue is obviously Glacial Wall but only with the Ice Age art, otherwise it's Mnemonic Wall.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 3, 2015

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I'm going to search for the new command with sunforger, and counter someones commander, and return a value creature like Stoneforge or Snapcaster. I'm going to do that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I Love You! posted:

Man putting a spell back on top is definitely not a drawback in decks running memory lapse

Why? If you counter a bomb, it's in the graveyard. If you Memory Lapse a bomb, they cast it again soon. The only formats Memory Lapse get played in now are Cube and Commander, which are both bomby.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Blanking their turn and their next draw is sometimes better than just blanking their turn. You gain tempo instead of just a straight 1-1 trade.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Chamale posted:

Why? If you counter a bomb, it's in the graveyard. If you Memory Lapse a bomb, they cast it again soon. The only formats Memory Lapse get played in now are Cube and Commander, which are both bomby.

That's because there's better timewalks in the other formats that can legally run it for the most part. It's still an exceptionally good time walk. And memory lapsing anything the opponent tapped out for is amazing because they will probably not drop another land next turn, meaning the hard counter you throw down that next turn will be all the more crippling and successful.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Chamale posted:

It's pretty similar to Remand, the difference being that you deny their next draw instead of getting an extra one yourself.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Chamale posted:

The same argument applies to Remand, except Lapse is -1 card for each of you.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Black doesn't have a lot of choices and they're really predicated on creature type, which makes it a neck and neck race between the Snake Wall and the Skeleton Wall.

Red has no walls that are interesting in any way, so I guess Wall of Stone gets the nod for being old and somewhat iconic for walls.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

LordSaturn posted:

Lapse also has the nice side effect of helping blank land drops for your opp.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Wall chat got me to realize the Onslaught Wall of Mulch was a hideous photoshop edit of a painting (I thought it was a bad photoshop original).

The original was restored in the M15 reprint.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Hahaha why would they even bother doing that

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I wonder how much other hideous Onslaught block art was due to overuse of digital manipulation?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

Black doesn't have a lot of choices and they're really predicated on creature type, which makes it a neck and neck race between the Snake Wall and the Skeleton Wall.

Red has no walls that are interesting in any way, so I guess Wall of Stone gets the nod for being old and somewhat iconic for walls.

My pet black wall would be a 1/1 flying deathtouch defender for B. A fetid rat corpse strapped to a balloon as art.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

"Just get in there with photoshop and extend out those noses. Blur tool off the mouths on those guys too. Yeah, that's the stuff!"

Rinkles posted:

My pet black wall would be a 1/1 flying deathtouch defender for B. A fetid rat corpse strapped to a balloon as art.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Angry Grimace posted:

Not to mention Bile Blight, Drown in Sorrow, etc. to stuff aggro. If D-Sphere were still around that might help that situation a bit, but alas.

Its not that its straight-up bad, its just that its so rarely operating at instant speed the way black can with BB and Downfall and Ugin is a better Wrath effect than Elspeth is.

Granted, we have a control clan in UW coming up, so we'll see where it goes.

True, but Ugin can go in UW just fine, and End Hostilities is better than Crux.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hellsau posted:

I wonder how much other hideous Onslaught block art was due to overuse of digital manipulation?

I think Ron Spencer paints with traditional art materials

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rinkles posted:

That would be a good wall, there aren't enough rats with flying in MTG, or enough balloons, and that would really tick off a lot of boxes.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

there aren't enough rats with flying in MTG

Well yeah, Bat is a separate creature type...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Don't they normally kick off a big-set spoiler with something a little more splashy (e.g. a Planeswalker)? So far it seems like the splashiest card is JemDragon.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

Don't they normally kick off a big-set spoiler with something a little more splashy (e.g. a Planeswalker)? So far it seems like the splashiest card is JemDragon.
They are probably saving that for PAX East this weekend.

Also 1B flying deathtouch. Call it Typhoid Bats. Done.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I think they realized they hosed up real bad with the power level of commons vs. rares in FRF and are taking a huge step back by showing off a set of really strong and interesting commons to kick things off.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

sarmhan posted:

They are probably saving that for PAX East this weekend.

I thought that might be the case. :smith:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Serperoth posted:

Well yeah, Bat is a separate creature type...

A rat flying via unnatural means doesn't just become a bat. They are mundane but separate rodents.

Edit: We can check off even more boxes if we make a Rat Flinger creature who creates tokens of flying rats that die EOT.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
PAX east is this weekend. I guarantee they're holding something for that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

LordSaturn posted:

Remand and Memory Lapse are both worse than Counterspell in cube, if you can support UU. Of course, if I were trying to draft that deck I'd be happy to play all three.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Rinkles posted:

WOTC Bring back Will-O'-The-Wisp for this man.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
bats aren't rodents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chamale posted:

Remand and Memory Lapse are both worse than Counterspell in cube, if you can support UU.
Eh, Remand rates ahead when you draft storm since the tempo is the important part of the counter, and the lost card can be pretty huge.

And cantrip chaining is ... vaguely a thing...

• Locked thread