Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

what was the first RPG with an automap? was it a might and magic game?

I'm gonna say one of the wizardry games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm going to get the ending in Duck Hunt tonight. I have my camera ready.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
On the last 10 loving levels

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
just completed far cry 3 and far cry 3 blood dragon.
really enjoyed myself and look forward to far cry 4.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
the abe's oddysee remake is really really good you guys

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Depending on what game you count from, they're already almost 25

I am counting from meridian 59.

edit: I thought the original NWN was more adventurer lobbies compared to today's mmos.

Bleusilences fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 3, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

wait, duck hunt has an ending? i thought it just went on and on forever, until ducks escaped and dog laughed at you.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bicyclops posted:

wait, duck hunt has an ending? i thought it just went on and on forever, until ducks escaped and dog laughed at you.

I am fairly sure we are being Taint Reaped again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

d'oh! Taint reaaaaaperrrrrrr!!! :argh:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im going to Italy in May and im real fuckin glad the n3ds exists. also the new actual harvest moon comes out at the end of this month, no more deceivers

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i played the first harvest moon years after it came out and i'll get the best ending one of these days if i can actually get past feeding my cows endlessly and doing nothing else for 3 seasons.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

I guess TR couldn't do it

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

A Spider Covets posted:

im going to Italy in May and im real fuckin glad the n3ds exists. also the new actual harvest moon comes out at the end of this month, no more deceivers

oh for real

its not another minecraft ripoff version like the last one?

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

hubris.height posted:

oh for real

its not another minecraft ripoff version like the last one?

no thankfully. There was some legal struggle with the name, the "real" harvest moon is now called Story of Seasons (or Song of Seasons, can't remember)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A Spider Covets posted:

no thankfully. There was some legal struggle with the name, the "real" harvest moon is now called Story of Seasons (or Song of Seasons, can't remember)

natsume, their old english publisher, has the trademark to the name Harvest Moon, and i guess out of spite or whatever has been releasing cheap shovelware with it ever since the original devs stopped using them

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

should i buy a new harvest moon for my wife or will she disappear for two years into the land of farms?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i bought the last harvest moon that came out for my wife and she was pretty disappointed, will probably pick up 'story of seasons' and see whats up

is it published by natsume cause lol if so. natsume usa somehow still in business in spite of itself

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nah, it's published by Xseed now. That's the only reason it needed a different name.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Wasn't there some kind of controversy about a recent HM game? Two Towns or something?

i seem to recall some ordeal about having to change the name of the series or

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Excels posted:

Wasn't there some kind of controversy about a recent HM game? Two Towns or something?

i seem to recall some ordeal about having to change the name of the series or

yea thats exactly what we're discussing, i assume natsume wanted to try and cash in on the name with the latest installment. it wasn't Two Towns but it was pretty forgettable.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Never was a fan of harvest moon games but I guess they're ok except the RPG ones those were trash

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Never was a fan of harvest moon games but I guess they're ok except the RPG ones those were trash

There's RPG ones? Like battling turnips or something?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

the best harvest moon game was 64 because it's glitchy as gently caress

in most harvest moon games you could go and make women fall in love with you by obsessively bringing them a crop you grow every day (and if you don't the women will get married to some other jerkoff who you can bring weeds to in order to discourage), but in 64 you could seduce karen in like a day by just showing your dog to her over and over and over until she fell in love with you. and whammo bammo she was ready to give up everything and marry you day one because you showed her your dog like a thousand times.

i wanna see someone speedrun HM64 :spergin:

gay skull fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 3, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Golden Goat posted:

sorta, yeah; hes talking about rune factory in which you can upgrade your hoe to give it increased damage and the boss fights are with giant rooster gryphons that drop eggs on defeat

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

Nah it's those rune factory games

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

It sounds fun. How did they gently caress it up?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
The combat isn't that great and distracts from the farming stuff but they're still pretty fun

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Rune Factory 4 sounded good but I don't remember why. Is it?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The first one was all about cheating by talking to the women 800 times and doing all your work at night so you could use the hot springs and not worry about time management at all.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I am doing the system transfer from my launch 3ds to the New 3DS and I ready to be blown away playing Monster Hunter.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I have a question and maybe this is really dumb but I dunno what thread to ask

It is about snes final fantasies, can I ask you guys, is it okay

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Ambivalent posted:

I have a question and maybe this is really dumb but I dunno what thread to ask

It is about snes final fantasies, can I ask you guys, is it okay

yes, my child

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is a safe place

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Okay, so like... there's a lot of versions of FF6 and FF4 especially, but they all have huge problems...

the original SNES versions have a bunch of silly math errors, and don't have some of the touched up translation or additional content from later versions
the gba ones have horribly washed out gamma and really bad sound, but they DO have the touched up translation and additional content
the PSX versions have ridiculously long menu loading times along with the problems of the originals
the ios ff6 has stupid awful redrawn sprites that look really messed up and bad imo...

is there no perfect version, i kinda want to replay them but like, get the best possible thing, and I thought people love these games so much, surely someone has hacked together a really good version right, but maybe not...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ambivalent posted:

the gba ones have horribly washed out gamma and really bad sound, but they DO have the touched up translation and additional content

There are patches for both these problems (at least for FFVI) if you don't care about emulating.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yeah just play the original ffvi, with the patch if those bugs really bother you.

idk you could play the gba one with no sound and that's not so bad i suppose. youre right though, its a shame they haven't released a 'perfect' edition with no load times, added content, and fixed bugs.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

No, I mean there are patches for the GBA version of FFVI that fix the color saturation and the music.

I don't think there's a patch for putting the new translation in the old game, but there are certainly bugfixes available.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I never noticed or cared about any problems FFVI had on GBA, it's still mad fun. if the Woolsey script triggers your autism or something I dunno what to tell you.

the GBA one has the Dragon Den and all of that and seems to play fine from start to finish.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh poo poo i had no idea, that's good news. i'll have to check that out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Phantasium posted:

There are patches for both these problems (at least for FFVI) if you don't care about emulating.

That's actually exactly what I was hoping for

Excels posted:

I never noticed or cared about any problems FFVI had on GBA, it's still mad fun. if the Woolsey script triggers your autism or something I dunno what to tell you.

the GBA one has the Dragon Den and all of that and seems to play fine from start to finish.

the GBA color saturation feels bad and looks bad on a monitor, and the music is messed up because my head knows what it should sound like but it doesn't,

Fortunately, there are actually patches for both of these

e: I have no problem with the original translation but I've played that version before so maybe something different

• Locked thread