Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's not a problem right now, there's plenty of room for what I've got and nobody's messing with each other but I don't think in a few weeks there'll be room for a giant multigenerational swordtail incest family in this little tank.

Yeah that happened to my sister with her tank and after a few generations the fish were... let's say 'special'. You don't want this to continue our you'll have a tank full of mutant fish with issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Excess fish problem. Congrats on your new Polypterus. Tank too small? Get a new one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How long should it take guppies to make more of them? I added 5 females into a tank with 2 males back in October and haven't gotten any yet. Right now I'm just assuming they give birth when I'm not around and manage to eat all the fry but I have no idea if that's right.

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Well, we finally just assumed the eel is dead. Aqarium Adventures in Dublin, OH is currently having a 50% all fish/invertebrates/plants so I picked up a new eel. This time, it's a West African Spiny Eel! Beautiful animal. He's small, and will apparently get (much) bigger. Today, I was sitting on my couch looking for him, and found his head sticking out of a (fairly) large snail shell. I was amazed he could manage to get himself all of the way in there! Happy Eel!

Moments later, my son says "dad, that's not the eel, the eel is over here..." I look... and MY EEL IS ALIVE! Now, I have two eels. Little poo poo was sitting inside of the tiki. Cat must have regurgitated it.

Ironsolid fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 21, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Eel fight!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

What do you do with excess fish anyway? I've got a month-old 30gal tank I dropped three swordtails and some misc mollies/tank cleaning fish in, and I think I underestimated just how uh productive the swords are because every week like clockwork there's another one of these little dudes in there

It's not a problem right now, there's plenty of room for what I've got and nobody's messing with each other but I don't think in a few weeks there'll be room for a giant multigenerational swordtail incest family in this little tank. I'm not really cool with killing stuff just because it's surplus and don't think they'll get big enough to eat or anything, is there somewhere I can consistently sell them off to other than, like, Craigslist? I guess I sorta assumed they'd occasionally eat each other and keep themselves in check, or at least that the females would not be constantly enormously pregnant. At least the mollies haven't done poo poo

I went and got my angels to keep the Mollies under control. They pick off every last one to the point they'll wedge through plants to get them. Course I didn't get them just for that, I wanted some angels anyways and they just happen to be awesome hunters...they even stalk the food flakes when its time to feed

As far as losing some along the way, yeah, that too. you'd be surprised how many fry Darwin Award while exploring

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 22, 2015

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
That little rear end in a top hat made a 2 hour appearance and now he's gone again. I think next time I see him I'm going to catch him and clear an inch of substrate.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Well any theory I had about rosy barbs not surviving outside in ponds has just been dashed to smithereens. I've managed to net a 2cm feral rosy barb from the backyard pond, the water was murky enough that I thought there was something still in there but couldn't tell if it was a fish or a big dragonfly nymph. They love running water though so I caught him swimming against the flow while I was topping up the pond with the hose. He's lived through a couple of weeks now with temperatures exceeding 40 degrees for days at a time. He's survived without filtering or feeding or even aeration. Of course I brought him in so he wasn't stuck on his own out there in filthy conditions but he looked drat healthy just the same. It seems like the best way to raise rosy barb fry is to throw them outside and ignore them for weeks.

This isn't some grand fishpond either, its a little dinky preformed fiberglass dealy which gets filled with leaf litter and baked in the noon sun. There are a couple of shoddy bits of rotala in there so there is a very small amount of shelter I guess. Outdoor rosy barb success makes me want to dig out the little pond and put a nice big one out there instead and have a proper environment for outdoor fish to live in.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Eh, until animals find out there's something to eat in there.
That's our problem here anyways. Gave a bunch of Molly fry to a guy at work who tossed them in his little pond thing. They were ok for a while but eventually raccoons found them.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah that's a good point, thinking back my parents were losing goldfish to herons fairly often until they got a plastic heron statue to put near their pond. Fish-eating birds and loose cats would probably be the only threat to pond fish where I am, aside from dragonfly nymphs which I think must only be a threat to small fry. When it comes to the crunch I don't really want to neglect any of my pets and in a pond it's not easy to monitor what's going on.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

All of my fry go to my LFS where they are promptly fed to his lion fish. It owns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welp found another cory skeleton in the tank. Only the ones which I got as juveniles left in the tank. The others were way old already when I got them. RIP.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 26, 2015

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Click for big:

Edit:

Desert Bus fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 27, 2015

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Thanks to whoever recommended the Finnex FugeRay Plant+ LED fixture. It's bright and makes my fish look good. Now I need to buy fertilizers and more plants.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
Ugh. My thermostat went out last night and my tank heater is apparently just an ugly decoration. Tank was down to 48 when I woke up, half my fish were dead on the bottom, and my shrimp were moving in slow motion (though that was pretty entertaining)

I live in Texas, my issue is supposed to be keeping the tank from parboiling everything during the summer, not this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice pics Desert Bus!

Fejsze posted:

Ugh. My thermostat went out last night and my tank heater is apparently just an ugly decoration. Tank was down to 48 when I woke up, half my fish were dead on the bottom, and my shrimp were moving in slow motion (though that was pretty entertaining)

I live in Texas, my issue is supposed to be keeping the tank from parboiling everything during the summer, not this.

drat, that sucks man. One thing I can suggest, is when you replace your heater get two smaller ones instead of one big one. Two advantages to that, if one of the thermostat sticks on it shouldn't have enough power to cook your tank, and if one fails the other should be able to keep temps up until you replace it.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, that sucks man. One thing I can suggest, is when you replace your heater get two smaller ones instead of one big one. Two advantages to that, if one of the thermostat sticks on it shouldn't have enough power to cook your tank, and if one fails the other should be able to keep temps up until you replace it.

That's a fantastic idea. Thanks! Tho I don't really know much about how the math works out with them, since I just tossed one in to keep it a few degrees warmer than I typically keep my house (I'm from california originally, 73 or bust year round). If I had a 50 watt, would I want 2x25 watt? or is there some weird math where I'd need 2x30 or 2x15 or something?

At the least, the space heater I pointed directly at the tank brought it up to the mid 60s, and everything left is swimming around like normal now, heading out soon to the LFS to grab a new heater (or two). Still feel like a lovely owner, and wonder if the remaining Delicate Blue-eye will get lonely, or if I need to hope someone gets some in soonish; It's chilling near the dwarf corys now

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

How big is your tank? For 10g I'd think 2x25w would be plenty, 20g or higher I'd go 2x50w. But I'm in Nebraska and it gets cold, so what I use would probably be overkill for you 90% of the time.

I picked up some german blue rams from my LFS last week. I've wanted to keep them for a while, but never really see them for sale around here. They're in a planted 29g with one of my apisto pairs, seems to be working out so far. Two of them have actually paired up and spawned already, though they ate the eggs a few days later. Pic dump incoming!

German Blue Ram by meramsey, on Flickr

Blue Phantom Pleco by meramsey, on Flickr

Triple Red Apistogramma by meramsey, on Flickr

Triple Red Apistogramma by meramsey, on Flickr

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I found a string of snotty eggs stuck to the airline in the hockey stick tetra's tank. Then two more strings on a plastic plant, then I stopped counting. I'd read they'd eat their eggs but so far they hadn't, and there are eyes in the eggs already so I've moved them so that maybe some of the fry have a chance to survive when they hatch.

The eggs are a lot bigger than I imagined and there are 6-10 on little tidy strings, attached at each end. It might be nice to get a small school of tetras out of this but if they keep being this prolific I'll have to move them back in with the rosy barbs so they'll eat all the eggs. I wasn't even trying to breed them, just stop them from bullying everyone so hopefully they'll behave better in a bigger school and I'll be able to put them back in the big tank.

Mitchnasty
Apr 15, 2009
Came home from work today and one of my platys has.. ripped itself a new rear end in a top hat apparently. Seems to be a good bit of intestine/whatever guts hanging out the poor girls anus. Has anyone seen this before? I'd call it a prolapse maybe? She's in the hospital tank right now with some stress coat+ and melafix. She ate a bit of food in the big tank this morning before I moved her and now she's acting pretty timid, but that might be from getting jumbled around in the move. I'm assuming she's done for with her guts being misplaced and all.. But I figured I'd ask if anyone has seen this before. Can't take pics, no cell phone!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you sure it's a prolapse and not a string of poop or a worm hanging out?

Mitchnasty
Apr 15, 2009
I'm 100% sure it's a prolapse, its about the size of a pea now and extremely red, you can see the skin around her anus is all damaged as well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edit: think I figured it out

Len fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 3, 2015

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Nice krib/festivum Bus. I've had kribs and loved them and have always wanted festivum. Yours look tiny how big are they?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Whale Cancer posted:

Nice krib/festivum Bus. I've had kribs and loved them and have always wanted festivum. Yours look tiny how big are they?

The Festivum is about 2", same for the male Krib. Female Krib is 1.5" or so. My tank was super understocked and a LFS by me was going out of business, so I figured "Why not?"

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Does anyone have a recommendation for fertilizer for a planted tank? Should I go liquid or tabs? Starting to notice a lack of growth and think the substrate has been depleted.

Fejsze fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 4, 2015

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Fejsze posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for fertilizer for a planted tank? Should I go liquid or tabs? Starting to notice a lack of growth and think the stratum has been depleted.

The suggestions I've seen are in 3 parts. Two in liquid form and the 3rd is root tabs. Most coverage is with the liquid ferts though.

In the case of tabs, flourish tabs or ada's iron bottom would be the route to go. These both add nutrients for the roots to suckle on along with what is in the water column. There is a mixed view on the effectiveness of substrate ferts last time I looked though. One argues that water column ferts are another while others argue deep rooted plants don't really get to feed on water column nutrients due to the depth of their roots.

For liquid, there is ADA's line, diy methods, and flourish (and/or excel).
The two major diy methods you'll see talked about is:
1) Perpetual Preservation System or PPS-pro
2) Estimative Index or EI

Both have their fans that will argue till they are blue in the face how they have the right one. EI's champion Tom Barr always seemed more on the offensive claiming scientific research and a biology degree against any other. The real answer usually lies in the middle which is what you'll see when reading up on either. On a personal note, I'm looking at the PPS-Pro method at least at start up because it looks to be more idiot proof than the EI where you do some judging on dosage based on plant growth and health of the tank.

GLA sells a full PPS-Pro kit including the containers for mixing and dosing from. They also sell the ferts for EI as well, but you'll need to look up the calculations for mixing concentrations elsewhere on the internet. Tom Barr has it pretty documented though. GLA sells the same containers in the PPS kit separately as well.

When I mean two part liquid, there are two types because they'll form a solid if mixed together.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Mitchnasty posted:

Came home from work today and one of my platys has.. ripped itself a new rear end in a top hat apparently. Seems to be a good bit of intestine/whatever guts hanging out the poor girls anus. Has anyone seen this before? I'd call it a prolapse maybe? She's in the hospital tank right now with some stress coat+ and melafix. She ate a bit of food in the big tank this morning before I moved her and now she's acting pretty timid, but that might be from getting jumbled around in the move. I'm assuming she's done for with her guts being misplaced and all.. But I figured I'd ask if anyone has seen this before. Can't take pics, no cell phone!

Let me know how this goes for you, I just got a couple angels from the "good" fish store in town that keeps selling me sick fish and within a day they were showing the same thing. Still swimming around eating and acting normal, far as I can tell, just making GBS threads out their guts.

Two of their mollies died of ich within like the first week I had them too, when nothing else even got it; I don't think I'll be doing business with those guys anymore.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 5, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Let me know how this goes for you, I just got a couple angels from the "good" fish store in town that keeps selling me sick fish and within a day they were showing the same thing. Still swimming around eating and acting normal, far as I can tell, just making GBS threads out their guts.

Two of their mollies died of ich within like the first week I had them too, when nothing else even got it; I don't think I'll be doing business with those guys anymore.

The user name and avatar combo is perfect for this topic.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

From what I've read, anal prolapses usually result from an infected colon, and poor/inappropriate diet, not enough fibre maybe? I've heard of fish recovering with treatment but most likely you'll need medicated food not additives to the water to have any effect since it's an internal infection. Metronidazole would help if it is a protozoan infection, which I think is possible, as bacterial infections seem to kill more rapidly.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Mar 5, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gibbo posted:

The user name and avatar combo is perfect for this topic.

Last night I threw em in a jar with some epsom salts and this morning they'd poo poo everywhere and looked normal, I have mastered both the stretch and contraction

Probably leave em in there another day or so to see if they suddenly die or something but gonna guess just hosed up food

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Heyo, I could use some help. I am new to planted tanks, and I recently set up my 5gal LED tank with my betta and three snails(1 mystery, 2 nerites, with a shipment on its way of ~14 malaysian trumpets). I currently have some dwarf hairgrass, 1 marimo moss ball, 1 water wisteria, 2 anachris bunches and an anubias azfelli. With this plant assortment, what fertilizers do I need? It's all very confusing, and I wish I hadn't been so eager to get plants BUT NOW HERE I AM. I am using Nat Geo sand as a substrate, and from my research I figure I should get flourish trace elements/excel, potassium and nitrogen. With low-mid light plants, is CO2 injection necessary, or is the surface agitation from a 10 gallon filter enough?

E: I should add, before I went out and bought the plants, I let my tank run through for two days with the dechlorinator (not necessarily to start up bacteria), I did spend hours reading the OP, browsing websites, and following link after link, so I wasn't ENTIRELY unprepared, but my plants are starting to wilt and now I am just confused, and I feel I definitely underestimated the ease of my plant choices.

MrConfusedTurkey fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 5, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That seems like a lot of plant for a 5g. In any case you can start simple, with just basic Flourish and root tabs then see how they respond.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

That seems like a lot of plant for a 5g. In any case you can start simple, with just basic Flourish and root tabs then see how they respond.

Thanks! If this tank gets better, in a few weeks I would like to get a 10 gallon set up (already have the stuff for it, minus the life), so I am sure I will be back with more questions, especially since I would like to do some heavy-root feeders like amazon swords. I am normally a reptile keeper, so this is all so new to me, but exciting and fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just saw the edit about the wilting. What sort of lighting do you have in your tank, and how are your plants arranged in there? Are they all wilting, or just particular ones? Have you done a basic water test yet, to check your water as it comes out of the tap and how it's doing in the tank? Keep in mind that some plants are grown emersed, i.e. not fully aquatic and they may be just shedding their leaves for fully aquatic ones and its not much to worry about.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 5, 2015

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

LED lighting, and most of the leaves on my plants are spotting with dark brown coloration (my wisteria and anubias azfeli), My java fern (forgot to mention I have that, too) is starting to. . .shrink(?) and discolor from the tips. I don't seem to be having problems with my moss ball (lol) and anacharis.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

LED lighting, and most of the leaves on my plants are spotting with dark brown coloration (my wisteria and anubias azfeli), My java fern (forgot to mention I have that, too) is starting to. . .shrink(?) and discolor from the tips. I don't seem to be having problems with my moss ball (lol) and anacharis.

Do you have co2?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How many hours of lighting a day are you setting it up for, and what's the ambient light for the tank? 6-8 hours of direct lighting a day is plenty. Too much, too little or the wrong type (insufficient light spectrum) can be bad for them, but again as I said before, they could just be adapting to your water conditions.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

I do not have CO2, but I am looking into it. And wow, if only 6-8 hours a day, then I am definitely overdoing it with ~12 hours a day. I will just get a timer tonight to fix that issue. Thanks for the help, I'm heading to work, so my next reply will be in a few hours if you have anymore troubleshooting questions for me (which I seriously appreciate).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

I do not have CO2, but I am looking into it. And wow, if only 6-8 hours a day, then I am definitely overdoing it with ~12 hours a day. I will just get a timer tonight to fix that issue. Thanks for the help, I'm heading to work, so my next reply will be in a few hours if you have anymore troubleshooting questions for me (which I seriously appreciate).

I have a 6 gallon next to a window(indirect light only) with led lighting and co2 that is on about 10-11 hours a day and it does very well. I also have that needlessly expensive ada fertilizer.