Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Hillary is going to win by like 10 points and I don't see how an Obama scandal would affect too much.

Consider:

1) Republicans have leaned on that poo poo so much nobody even knows what a scandal is anymore
2) Hillary has plenty of experience attacking Obama, and will do so if it's to her benefit
3) It's Hillary

/

Why is her head melded with a planetoid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nonsense posted:

/

Planet Hillary was the cover of Time or like Newsweek before it croaked.

It was an eldritch horror that could only be conceived by Japanese horrormeister Junji I to and I wonder if the poor Graphic Designer that was tasked with that burst his or her eyeballs with Wacom pens when they were done.

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

You've never worked around executive old people. They don't work out of email. They get other people to do that for them.
Quited for truth. The idea of tangible assets is strong with geezers. A boss of mine (who actually used email extensively) once asked me to print out a schedule twice and make a blown up copy to hang so she could 'get a look at what's going on whenever'.

It was already on a publicly shared Google cal.
:negative:

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 3, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

2016 Presidential General: Wherein the dynastic warmongering corporate whore is the lesser evil

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Nonsense posted:

/

It looks like a testicle.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Barbe Rouge posted:

It looks like a testicle.

You might want to get your testicles checked.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

A lot of the people I worked with four years ago used gmail exclusively, despite it being pretty explicit policy to use their EDU address, because Google docs used to be a pain in the rear end when you tried to use a non-gmail account. I am sure that is not the reason Clinton did it, but the use of pretty necessary business technology never does seem to keep pace with approved software in office policies, which does affect government operations.

If the state department's e-mail system is any like the DoD's then I can understand why she would only use a private e-mail account . The Army's computer systems are consistently about 3 versions behind whatever the latest Windows release is and are usually so restricted on bandwidth and access that using Gmail and Facebook as a work around is extremely common.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

FilthyImp posted:

Quited for truth. The idea of tangible assets is strong with geezers. A boss of mine (who actually used email extensively) once asked me to print out a schedule twice and make a blown up copy to hang so she could 'get a look at what's going on whenever'.

It was already on a publicly shared Google cal.
:negative:

What do you suppose the odds are that at some point, some intern, somewhere, has been asked to staple the frames of an animated gif into a little flipbook? I'd give it more than 50/50.

Del Capitan
Feb 9, 2007

Congratulations! You have brought Chaos to the world!
If I recall properly, haven't there been a few nonscandals like this over the past couple years, where someone uses a personal email address in defiance of recordkeeping and security rules? I swear there was something about Palin doing similar, some years back.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Del Capitan posted:

If I recall properly, haven't there been a few nonscandals like this over the past couple years, where someone uses a personal email address in defiance of recordkeeping and security rules? I swear there was something about Palin doing similar, some years back.

Basically everyone does this so it would be a shock if there hadn't been a scandal or two.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Del Capitan posted:

The Perry administration is pretty infamous in Texas for doing it to keep everything out of reach of public records laws. Their story is that all policy is discussed in person but everyone knows there is a network of temporary email addresses changed regularly because in person discussion is impractical these days (especially in a state as large as Texas) and it would create potentially incriminating visitor and travel logs.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Del Capitan posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Del Capitan posted:

If I recall properly, haven't there been a few nonscandals like this over the past couple years, where someone uses a personal email address in defiance of recordkeeping and security rules?

Recordkeeping rules like, emails stored directly on hard drives which mysteriously crash and no backups happen to exist anywhere.

If anything we should be thanking Hillary for using an outside system since her damaging emails can actually be retrieved and made public.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Armyman25 posted:

If the state department's e-mail system is any like the DoD's then I can understand why she would only use a private e-mail account . The Army's computer systems are consistently about 3 versions behind whatever the latest Windows release is and are usually so restricted on bandwidth and access that using Gmail and Facebook as a work around is extremely common.

This is every office in the country. It's either that the systems are so many versions behind, they don't get along with any of the software you have to use to get your job done, or they've just installed versions that are new enough that the former Apple store employees working in IT can't Google the problems yet, and everyone has to find their own work-around. And that's before you factor in that the high level employees are working from home, frequently on personal mobile devices, because their personal lives and their professional lives blended together a long time ago, and there's nobody in the official tech support who can help them half the time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Here we go!

quote:

(Reuters) - Ben Carson, a retired surgeon popular with Tea Party conservatives, has formally created an exploratory committee to run for president, according to his campaign chief executive, Terry Giles, the Wall Street Journal reported.

With the exploratory committee, Carson can raise money that he can transfer to his campaign once it begins, the Journal said.

He has made a number of hires lately, including a national finance director and aides in several early voting states, Giles said, adding that the campaign would soon announce more "major players," who will join Carson's team, the newspaper said.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0LZ0F420150303?irpc=932

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
Oboy oboy, here comes the good stuff. We got any other dingbats coming down the pipeline?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Kalman posted:

Pretty much this. Politicians still operate on "my aide will print it out and hand it to me."

Ah yes, Hillary Clinton - notorious for her hatred of reading things digitally.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

funtax posted:

Ah yes, Hillary Clinton - notorious for her hatred of reading things digitally.

Man, I hate to break this to you, but most of those celebrities you're following on Twitter are just PR interns.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Venom Snake posted:

If Hillary decided not to run Joe Biden would win the nomination and defeat the Republican nominee in every national debate by making loud car revving sounds into the microphone. When he is sworn in he wears aviators and the first words of his inaugural address are "American, it's time to go fast".

Honestly, everyone in the political establishment wouldn't know what to do if some hybrid of Joe Biden/Diamond Joe ran for President.

He'd win by a landslide however

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Man, I hate to break this to you, but most of those celebrities you're following on Twitter are just PR interns.

You telling me Hillary didn't personally write "pantsuit aficionado" and "hair icon" in her profile?!? I simply do not believe you.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

True enough, but can you blame me for being confused? I mean, that intern reading email on her blackberry looks SO much like Hillary...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

funtax posted:

True enough, but can you blame me for being confused? I mean, that intern reading email on her blackberry looks SO much like Hillary...

At that very moment, Andy Schlafly bolts awakes, the words "body double?" on his lips.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I can respect Hillary's ability to hire a better twitterista than 99% of other politicians, though.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I know it's a sideshow but O'Malley is not seeking Mikulski's seat.

I suspect that the legislature just does not appeal to him and he's running for a cabinet seat. After all, he's been an executive since Bill was president.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What's the chance that the seat flips? By that I mean to ask whether they will hit up some fuckup like Coakley or Sink who will just piss away the seat to some carpet-bag jackwagon with big money on speed dial like that witch lady.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ben Carson first campaign video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gze5cqk2O5U

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

He has the cadence of an awkward kindergarten teacher.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh my god, it has everything.

A white background, monotone voice, word salad speech, public use music.

We did it guys, we finally found a stock photo president.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001
Boring, no rabbit skeet shoot, 4/10.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
He smiles too fast. I want Herman Cain, the real thing!

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Brought to you by the Coalition for a Blander America

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Oh lordy I can't wait to see how piss poor that idiot does in the debates. It's clear he has no idea what he's talking about at all regarding public policy.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Walker is a home made sandwich with cheese and mayo level of bland, Ben Carson is just a slice of bread sitting in a desert.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Uh oh! A sacred republican cow has been broken

quote:

SCOTT WALKER ANGERS PRO-LIFERS AFTER CPAC

After a strong second place showing at CPAC this weekend — where 74 percent of the attendees called themselves pro-life — Gov. Scott Walker has roused the ire of pro-life Republicans for seeming to duck the issue on Fox News Sunday.

“Well, I think ultimately, I’m pro-life because that’s an unborn child. When I think of the ultra-sound picture that Tonette, my wife, and saw of our first son, who is now going to be 21 this June, it’s indistinguishable not to recognize that’s a human life,” Walker said when host Chris Wallace asked whether the governor believes a woman has a right to end a pregnancy at any point during the nine months of pregnancy. “That’s why I’m pro-life. My point is, we acted on the grounds that we have legally to be able to act under the Supreme Court’s decision, um, we’ll act that way at the federal level if we were in a position like that as well, but ultimately it is a life.”

When pressed by Wallace on whether he would “change the law” on abortion, Walker demurred. “Well, that’s not a change you can make. The Supreme Court ultimately made that.”

Frank Cannon, president of the American Principles Project, said today, “Claiming you are impotent on your core principles is neither true nor wise. What about advocating for a ban on abortions after 20 weeks?”

Professor Robert George of Princeton University urged Walker to be what George calls a “conscience Republican.” In a statement released today, George said, “The Republican Party was born of the witness of the “Conscience Whigs” in defiance of the slave power. That is our moral heritage. Today, when the great moral cause of our time is securing the right to life of the child in the womb, we need the witness of Conscience Republicans.”

“A conscience Republican would treat Roe v.Wade the way Abraham Lincoln treated the pro-slavery Supreme Court decision in Dred Scott v. Sandford,”
he said. George went on to urge Walker to “lead the effort to enact legislation, pursuant to Congress’s authority under sections 1 and 5 of the Fourtheenth Amendment, to protect the basic human rights of the child in the womb and provide the Supreme Court the joppotunrity to reverse its appaling ruling in Roe v. Wade.”

Professor Gerry Bradley of the Notre Dame School of Law called Walker’s remarks tragic. “Governor Walker’s replies indicate reliably that he recognizes the truth about when people begin…and so it is all the more tragic that Governor Walker cannot — at least in this exchange with Chris Wallace — actually bring himself to declare that Roe v. Wade is a gross injustice, that it must be reversed, and that he will work assiduously to bring about precisely that end.”

Though Walker has signed pro-life laws in Wisconsin, this is not the first time Gov. Walker has given pause to pro-lifers. Breitbart News reported recently that Walker’s choice of campaign staff past and present is reason for concern. Walker recently hired an outspoken pro-abortion polico to run his campaign. Moreover, Walker has run ads in the past that imply he is content to let Roe v. Wade remain pat.

The Walker camp issued the following statement to Breitbart News: “Life is a value Governor Walker learned from his parents, and its the way he’s lived his life, preceding his time in politics. His policies have earned him a 100 percent rating with pro-life groups in Wisconsin. Just in his first term he signed numerous pieces of pro-life legislation and he will continue working for every life.”

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

Pead posted:

He has the cadence of an awkward kindergarten teacher.

Holy poo poo this is spot on.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 22, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

He at least sounds like a person I would trust to not gently caress up my surgery, a very good doctor voice.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It's pretty incredible that the only reason Carson is a candidate because of a goddamn prayer breakfast

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Uh oh! A sacred republican cow has been broken

That might be the most general election oriented thing he has said. I don't think you can't run on "no abortions ever" at the national level and court women voters successfully. That said, apparently you can do pretty well at the state level by making abortions wildly difficult to obtain since that seems to be the current mode of operation.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Karnegal posted:

That might be the most general election oriented thing he has said. I don't think you can't run on "no abortions ever" at the national level and court women voters successfully. That said, apparently you can do pretty well at the state level by making abortions wildly difficult to obtain since that seems to be the current mode of operation.

I've got to completely agree with you. Scott Walker is doing a fabulous job of threading the needle. I think Joementum was telling people not to discount him, because he's got a lock on the party orthodoxy thing, and look at how he does it: a shitload of word salad about how his child's ultrasound showed him that it's a live human being, coupled with a shitload of general-election-ready word salad about how the court decided the thing...

Scott Walker '16 - YES WE DUUUUUUUUUUUHHHHH!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Quidam Viator posted:

I've got to completely agree with you. Scott Walker is doing a fabulous job of threading the needle.

Welp,

quote:

In a letter released by the anti-abortion Susan B. Anthony List, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) promised to sign legislation prohibiting abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy.

"As the Wisconsin legislature moves forward in the coming session, further protections for mother and child are likely to come to my desk in the form of a bill to prohibit abortions after 20 weeks," Walker wrote in the letter dated Tuesday. "I will sign that bill when it gets to my desk and support similar legislation on the federal level."

• Locked thread