Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
When's IEM happening, anyway? During midseason LCS break? Or does LCS take a week off before the end of the split?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
the groups being bo1s and semis bo3s is so loving disappointing

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Lightning Knight posted:

I expect the good money is on a CJ versus Tigers final though. Boring.

CJ, TSM, and Gambit have all been wildly inconsistent this year. They all have a very high peak level of play which any of them could hit and they all have a really bad streak of play which any of them could hit. I'm not even sure where to slot WE into this because the exact same probably applies to them.

What I'm saying is that group looks like a 4-team crap shoot to me and really any of them could win it. I'd be hesitant to call any of them (CJ included) the favorite.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
I think SK is the team with the least chance of an upset because one-dimensionality is so easy for Koreans to abuse.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Huh... Piglet removed his Liquid title from his in game name as well as his stream now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm pretty positive, considering the lovely performance of Liquid with Piglet versus the competent performance with Keith (regardless of the fact that Piglet is probably a lot better), that Piglet won't be returning to that team. They just don't work together well enough, it was pretty clear.

The real question is whether or not Piglet wants to keep playing and can get picked up by a team that can actually work with him, and that he can actually work with to succeed. I don't know whether or not that's possible, in NA at least.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Gambit vs cj is either going to be a bloodbath or a boring stomp by either team

I hope yoe get to face cloud9 all I can watch c9 get stomped by ex gama bears

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

The real question is whether or not Piglet wants to keep playing and can get picked up by a team that can actually work with him, and that he can actually work with to succeed. I don't know whether or not that's possible, in NA at least.

Seems to me that he needs an older Korean player who can put some of his behaviour under control, which is why the Team Impact suggestions make sense to me.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Disinterested posted:

Seems to me that he needs an older Korean player who can put some of his behaviour under control, which is why the Team Impact suggestions make sense to me.

Does Impact (or, hypothetically, Winterfox, the only other candidate I can think of where it would be a potential upgrade) have a slot open for a foreign player to come in, though?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Does Impact (or, hypotheticaly, Winterfox, the only other candidate I can think of where it would be a potential upgrade)

Altec is actually pretty good, I doubt they'd ever switch for skill reasons. They do love Koreans though :ohdear:

I can't remember how all this exempt stuff works.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Imagine and Avalon should fill Winterfox's quota on non-residents and Impact and Rush should do the same for Impulse.

Disinterested posted:

This. The above is my guess but the rules aren't that clear (or maybe I just need to read up on them)

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Disinterested posted:

Altec is actually pretty good, I doubt they'd ever switch for skill reasons. They do love Koreans though :ohdear:

If it were an upgrade I doubt it would be significant, Piglet isn't exactly in his prime at the moment while Altec is improving as a player still, but Piglet could potentially gel with the team slightly better as far as communication goes. I think Impulse would be the best place for him (gently caress I called them Impact didn't I? :rip: ), as opposed to noted best ADC in North America Apollo. :allears: But the non-residents thing makes that a no-go, and would probably prevent him from joining any NA team, really.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Let's be real if piglet replaced Apollo that'd be loving hilarious

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Coast would probably be desperate enough to sign him on.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Altec is actually an incredibly solid ADC who just seems to struggle to play from behind. He's incredibly underrated IMO.

mushi
Oct 13, 2003
I am addicted to video games.

Libertine posted:

CJ, TSM, and Gambit have all been wildly inconsistent this year. They all have a very high peak level of play which any of them could hit and they all have a really bad streak of play which any of them could hit. I'm not even sure where to slot WE into this because the exact same probably applies to them.

What I'm saying is that group looks like a 4-team crap shoot to me and really any of them could win it. I'd be hesitant to call any of them (CJ included) the favorite.
I feel like inconsistency of teams is directly related to the skill of your opponents. It's easier to look inconsistent when you're CJ and get shitstomped by the best teams in the world that exploit every little mistake you make, versus the inconsistency of TSM and Gambit who have lost to teams like Team 8 and CW.

I think everyone wants NA/EU to not suck, but when you take an objective look at the strength of the leagues, though I haven't followed that closely, CJ Entus is losing to SKT1 and GE Tigers. There's no way CJ doesn't get out of that group stage. The only question marks are: will Gambit pull another IEM Gambit miracle performance despite not really being gambit anymore, and how good is WE these days, because I haven't watched China at all.

TSM making it out of groups, just like at worlds, will be a huge accomplishment imo. I think they could get that second spot though.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Nobody's going to coast they're going to get auto relegated. It's a challenger team.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Nobody's going to coast they're going to get auto relegated. It's a challenger team.

Coast as they are now doesn't look like they'd cut it in Challenger to be honest. Aren't they statistically now the worst LCS team in history, overtaking Velocity?

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

Coast as they are now doesn't look like they'd cut it in Challenger to be honest. Aren't they statistically now the worst LCS team in history, overtaking Velocity?

It's looking like it, I think if the other teams take pity and throw a game or two they could just squeak out if that win like two or three more games

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
My favorite thing about Coast is that they should have went like 4/0 or something the first two weeks but threw for no reason

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

mushi posted:

TSM making it out of groups, just like at worlds, will be a huge accomplishment imo. I think they could get that second spot though.

TSM will beat WE, I feel pretty confident about that. Beyond that, who knows? They seem like a better team than Gambit but Gambit has really progressed, so that's a tossup. And who knows what CJ will look like (although my guess is that they will be significantly better than both both Gambit and TSM).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Flameingblack posted:

My favorite thing about Coast is that they should have went like 4/0 or something the first two weeks but threw for no reason

I'd love to have an inside look and see how much of Coast's disaster of a season was them being pretty terrible in relation to the rest of the league, and how much of it was just tilt after their incredibly unlucky/lovely first two weekends and throws.

I dunno. I hope Team 8 stays in both because they're honestly fun to watch and because it would give us a potential shot at Alex Ich on an NA team (he's a sub-mid for them remember, but Cali is supposed to be going to college next year and he could take over as their top laner if he gets back into form. He'd probably be a better team captain and shot caller as well).

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

mushi posted:

The only question marks are: will Gambit pull another IEM Gambit miracle performance despite not really being gambit anymore, and how good is WE these days, because I haven't watched China at all.

This post made me go back and watch Gambit vs. CJ Frost. Holy poo poo, the level of carnage those games reach before the 15 minute mark! Why can't we have games like that anymore? :smith:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Flameingblack posted:

"They're winning right up until they lose" scarra 2013(2014?)
God bless

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I think Korea is being overestimated slightly. They're still probably the strongest region in the tournament but western teams took games off ssw and ssb at worlds and both those teams were a head and shoulders above whatever is left.

I think we are in for a good bunch of games as long as no one decides to poo poo the bed like TSM vs the unicorns.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Typical Pubbie posted:

This post made me go back and watch Gambit vs. CJ Frost. Holy poo poo, the level of carnage those games reach before the 15 minute mark! Why can't we have games like that anymore? :smith:

The preponderance of available vision options makes early game bloodbaths only happen due to sloppy/bad play.

First blood before 5-10 minutes shouldn't happen in a pro game unless someone makes an uncharacteristically large mistake in lane.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Typical Pubbie posted:

Or any games like early Gambit/M5 pre-CLG.eu. I really liked the season 2 competitive meta, but RIP.

I'm totally fine with an all-Korean final at IEM -- as much as I'd like Gambit to make a stunning run realistically either Korean team would probably roll over any foreigner team in a well-executed but boring stomp (idk if the SC2 terminology is really apt here, but vOv).

I would personally sub out WE for any top 4 LPL team. I know WE sometimes makes good runs (well, besides IEM Shanghai I can't think of a really compelling tourney performance by them since 2012), but even when they're on form they are consistently dissapointing in tourneys.

I also wish that China had two spots (maybe expand the bracket for Wildcard regions?) so we could get to see the exciting teams in China compete, but alas.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Luna Was Here posted:

It's looking like it, I think if the other teams take pity and throw a game or two they could just squeak out if that win like two or three more games

Dignitas basically owe them a win.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

SC Bracer posted:

I think Korea is being overestimated slightly. They're still probably the strongest region in the tournament but western teams took games off ssw and ssb at worlds and both those teams were a head and shoulders above whatever is left.

I think we are in for a good bunch of games as long as no one decides to poo poo the bed like TSM vs the unicorns.
CJ Entus can be beaten, but I don't think anyone's going to be taking games off GE Tigers.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Flameingblack posted:

My favorite thing about Coast is that Cris has a lifetime LCS record of 4-31.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Everyone in OGN aside from GE Tigers are beatable, but GE loses so rarely to tough competition that its hard to see them dropping games. They don't really have much of a strategic weakness, and their versatility makes them dangerous.

Remember that SSW were styling on TSM when they dropped the game too.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
So GE Tigers will win IEM undefeated unless they give the enemy team a pre 2 min ace ?

edit:

"Mike Petersen ‏@Wickdlol 11m11 minutes ago
I guess it's out that I will play LCS this week for Elements. I will make an update on my facebook page sometime tomorrow about this."

Looks like Elements are doing their part for a CLG.EU vs M5 showmatch.

Savage Cracker fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 3, 2015

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Elements what the gently caress are you doing

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Everyone in OGN aside from GE Tigers are beatable, but GE loses so rarely to tough competition that its hard to see them dropping games. They don't really have much of a strategic weakness, and their versatility makes them dangerous.

Remember that SSW were styling on TSM when they dropped the game too.

That is fair, but GE Tigers are nowhere as good as either of the old Samsung teams, which is why I think if any NA team can hit their worlds form there is a small chance. TSM also beat SHRC who won a game legit off SSW (losing to a Svenskeren SK to be fair), and C9 pushed SSB harder than any team besides SSW (but dropped a game to Alliance). It's unlikely, but the doomsday predictions that oh Korea will sweep are somewhat of an overestimation of a region that was very recently completely gutted.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

henkman posted:

Elements what the gently caress are you doing

I love Kevin but he's sucked worse than Wickd so far so I guess I can see it. Jesus that team though.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It's been 2 weeks, constantly swapping people around can't be good for making a cohesive team

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

SC Bracer posted:

That is fair, but GE Tigers are nowhere as good as either of the old Samsung teams, which is why I think if any NA team can hit their worlds form there is a small chance. TSM also beat SHRC who won a game legit off SSW (losing to a Svenskeren SK to be fair), and C9 pushed SSB harder than any team besides SSW (but dropped a game to Alliance). It's unlikely, but the doomsday predictions that oh Korea will sweep are somewhat of an overestimation of a region that was very recently completely gutted.

I agree that now's about the best time for a non-Korean team to win an IEM, especially since China only gets to send one team (that happens to also be pretty terrible). That said, best time doesn't necessarilly mean likely time, unfortunately. I think that if EDG was going it could go very differently -- they've done just about the best job of anyone at incorporating superstar Koreans.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Libertine posted:

I love Kevin but he's sucked worse than Wickd so far so I guess I can see it. Jesus that team though.

We're two people away from going right back to CLG.EU.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

So kevin played what, one game with elements? maybe two? huge samplesize to pick from there EL.

Unless he's like mega super toxic or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Kevin has played 4 matches total in 2 weeks, and other than Mimer he has the worst average fantasy score of any top laner in EU/NA LCS. He's posted pretty poor lines in almost every game they've played.

• Locked thread