Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Is there anything we can do with a shitload of fried chicken? We had a birthday party for my son yesterday, and my inlaws bought the "food" (fried chicken). 35 people tops and we ended up with 100 pieces of chicken. I don't think they math (or listen) well. Is there some cool poo poo we can do with it so we're not eating dry leftover Walmart fried chicken (Don't ask, I would have much rather had fast food like Bojangles or KFC over that) for three weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gothmog1065 posted:

Is there anything we can do with a shitload of fried chicken? We had a birthday party for my son yesterday, and my inlaws bought the "food" (fried chicken). 35 people tops and we ended up with 100 pieces of chicken. I don't think they math (or listen) well. Is there some cool poo poo we can do with it so we're not eating dry leftover Walmart fried chicken (Don't ask, I would have much rather had fast food like Bojangles or KFC over that) for three weeks?

Treat it like normal chicken. Pull the meat off the bones - reserve those for stock - and use the meat in sandwiches, tacos, salads, soups, etc. Slice it, chunk it, whatever. Get drunk and eat it on the sofa. Eat it with a fox and eat it in a box; in the rain on a train. Slather it with bbq sauce and bake it for a while to glaze it. That's good poo poo.

And eat it cold. Always be eating cold fried chicken.

If you want actual chicken recipes, well...for real, the sky's the limit.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

As long as you have hot sauce and ranch I don't see a problem

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Anyone have an apple pie recipe they live by? Maybe even one passed down by your grandma's grandma's grandma?

I've been given a giant stack of apples and have guests coming over. Thanks in advance!!

Not exactly great-great-great-grandmas, but I loooove this shortbread apple pie. http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-shortbread-pie-100876

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

MikeyLikesIt posted:

Anyone have an apple pie recipe they live by? Maybe even one passed down by your grandma's grandma's grandma?

I've been given a giant stack of apples and have guests coming over. Thanks in advance!!

The best apple pie I've ever had is Kenji's, of course. My sister is an amazing dessert cook - she was going to be a pastry chef before having kids - and I'm a terrible one, but after making this pie she asked to know how I did it. Generally, people like it, too, which is a pretty good endorsement.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I left some chicken in buttermilk overnight and used them to make fried chicken today, I should probably just discard the buttermilk that I used, right? Or can I use that tonight or tomorrow for some friend pork?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I didn't see it in the general thread, but are there rules to Cook or Die? I made tofu for the first time with stir fried vegetables and a peanut garlic sauce. I took very basic photos, but I thought posting a tofu Cook or Die might be a fun one-off thread for recipes. I just didn't know if "tofu" was too generic.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

I left some chicken in buttermilk overnight and used them to make fried chicken today, I should probably just discard the buttermilk that I used, right? Or can I use that tonight or tomorrow for some friend pork?

Even if you've marinated in the fridge and left the milk out for less than an hour there is still a risk of bacteria growing between the meat and the dairy if you try to reuse it.

You can use it again as some sort of sauce maybe if you keep the milk at temp long enough to kill any bacteria, but at that point just chew on some cardboard, you filthy hippie.

All in all, at an educated guess I'd say it's more dangerous than it is safe, and would recommend throwing it out if you let meat soak in it, unless you plan on using it (at high temperature) immediately. I would definitely not let it soak even more meat over yet another night or two.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Throw. It. Out.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Buttermilk is cheap as gently caress unless you live in like, Siberia. Throw it out, yo.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I like basically all apple pie, but one thing I like to add to mine that isn't in some of those recipes is lemon. My recipe -- I think it was Mark Bittman's, actually -- calls for a tablespoon or so of lemon juice in the mixture for the apples, and as long as I'm using the lemon anyway I like to zest it and put that in there too.

Also, while I totally believe Kenji that Golden Delicious apples make for a firmer pie, Golden Delicious apples also suck. Granny Smith for me please, I like the taste a lot more.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

What to do with leftover Limburger?

I scored a hunk of real deal German stink-cheese a few weeks back, and immediately baked up some homemade pumpernickel. After three traditional Limburger sandwiches, I want to do something else with the remainder.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Male a Limburger-burger.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I like the Limburger with some baguette and grapes.

Or you could make some Obazda with it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Male a Limburger-burger.

Limhamburger.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

I dont have a smoker, so is it possible to use the broiler to get a smoker-style bark in a pork butt that's in the oven? Or should I just use liquid smoke and forego the crunchy goodness? :witch:

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What is a very simple, easy, basic strip steak recipe? I was able to use coupons and grab 4 10oz steaks yesterday for like $3.xx/a piece, but I've never cooked steak in my life.

I don't have fancy tools or exotic ingredients. I would normally Google it, but it seems like something that could get complicated really quick, and I don't have much time. Thanks :)

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
All you really need is salt and butter, but herbs are a nice addition

Just read this guide, it's lots of :words: but good info

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html

e: if you don't like words here's the recipe itself

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/12/butter-basted-pan-seared-steaks-recipe.html

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Anyone know of a good Breadfruit curry recipe?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Cavenagh posted:

Anyone know of a good Breadfruit curry recipe?

Treat it like potatoes, and you're good. Quite nice done Jamaican style, with scallions, garlic, ginger, thyme, a bit of allspice, Jamaican curry powder, some chopped scotch bonnet peppers, and some coconut milk.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dino. posted:

Treat it like potatoes, and you're good. Quite nice done Jamaican style, with scallions, garlic, ginger, thyme, a bit of allspice, Jamaican curry powder, some chopped scotch bonnet peppers, and some coconut milk.

As fantastic as that sounds, most of the breadfruit I ate in Jamaica was served plain.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

dino. posted:

Cheers man. It was heading that way, just needed your prompt to reach for the All-Spice. Knew there was a reason I put some Toots on the stereo.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

FoxTerrier posted:

Not exactly great-great-great-grandmas, but I loooove this shortbread apple pie. http://www.food.com/recipe/apple-shortbread-pie-100876

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The best apple pie I've ever had is Kenji's, of course. My sister is an amazing dessert cook - she was going to be a pastry chef before having kids - and I'm a terrible one, but after making this pie she asked to know how I did it. Generally, people like it, too, which is a pretty good endorsement.

Thanks to you both for the recipes!

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like the underlying taste of ketchup but find it too sweet. What sauce am I looking for?

I've tried making my own, but the reduction is just an ordeal.

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

I like the underlying taste of ketchup but find it too sweet. What sauce am I looking for?

You ever try Heinz 57 sauce? It's like a mix between ketchup and steak sauce so it retains a ketchup like taste but with more spicy and less sweet.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Danger Mahoney posted:

Lots of vinegar.
Tomatoes (crushed and peeled from a can), and a few powders (onion, garlic, white pepper, maybe some mustard, celery salt). Cook it for a while and then smooth it out with an immersion blender. A slurry of corn starch and water if would thicken it–tomato paste if you don't want to dilute the flavor and color. Some red wine would mellow it. Balsamic vinegar or sugar to sweeten it.
I'd just blend it but some would actually strain it.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
quick question:

I had a bag of great onions, so I decided I'd make some French onion soup.
Anyway, now the onions are on the stove for about 45 minutes, I find out there's no white wine in my near proximity :-/

should I abort the mission or can I toss in a can of generic lager instead?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Lager will work. So will vermouth.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Lager will work. So will vermouth.

amen. thank you very much!

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So will vermouth.

Dang next time I'll try that

I've suffered even burgundy in my onion soup, it makes it reaaaallly heavy though

franco
Jan 3, 2003
When I've made it whilst wineless, I find that just making up the liquid volume with additional stock is still really tasty (if not trad).

Also protip: adding a small amount of cognac/brandy right at the end is REALLY delicious :)

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

franco posted:

When I've made it whilst wineless, I find that just making up the liquid volume with additional stock is still really tasty (if not trad).

Also protip: adding a small amount of cognac/brandy right at the end is REALLY delicious :)

I'm afraid you're going to have to explain this concept of "wineless".

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Can anyone recommend a relatively simple/quick Asian style soup broth recipe? Every time I try soup, it comes out bland.

I'm planning on putting bok choy, shitake mushrooms, broccoli and brown rice noodles in it.

I realize this is a vague question... I'm obsessed with pho, but something towards the Chinese or Japanese flavor profiles would probably be best since my girlfriend hates Vietnamese/Thai food (wat).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Try miso maybe? Takes like 4 minutes to make.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

emotive posted:

Can anyone recommend a relatively simple/quick Asian style soup broth recipe? Every time I try soup, it comes out bland.

I'm planning on putting bok choy, shitake mushrooms, broccoli and brown rice noodles in it.

I realize this is a vague question... I'm obsessed with pho, but something towards the Chinese or Japanese flavor profiles would probably be best since my girlfriend hates Vietnamese/Thai food (wat).

Dashi might help, along with fish sauce and other sources of umami.

e: in fact, those recipes would be great in miso soup. Miso, dashi, not much else.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I'm making ribs in my oven right now. They smell awesome.

For the first time, I have a pan in there with liquid in it to "keep the meat moist." I've never made them this way, but these guys (who are awesome) suggest it.

Does the type of liquid make an actual difference? I happened to throw in some oj, some apple cider vinegar, and a bunch of water. I have the sneaking suspicion that just water would have been fine.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Paper With Lines posted:

I'm making ribs in my oven right now. They smell awesome.

For the first time, I have a pan in there with liquid in it to "keep the meat moist." I've never made them this way, but these guys (who are awesome) suggest it.

Does the type of liquid make an actual difference? I happened to throw in some oj, some apple cider vinegar, and a bunch of water. I have the sneaking suspicion that just water would have been fine.

I've done oven braised ribs before, and the liquid doesn't seem to make much of a difference frankly.

I do (Alton Brown's method, I think) wrap them in foil, close one end, pour braising liquid in other end then seal that one up. Cook at 250 for a few hours.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
To be clear, I'm not braising them. They're on a rack over a pan. The liquid is just for evaporation.
Like this (the water is in that pan)

But if the liquid doesn't matter for braising, then there is zero chance it'll matter for evaporation.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Paper With Lines posted:

But if the liquid doesn't matter for braising, then there is zero chance it'll matter for evaporation.

Is that just mustard lathered on it? drat, I want some ribs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

emotive posted:

If you like it spicy you could try a Gochujang / Miso mix, or just Gochujang if you like it really spicy!

e: also brown rice noodles! I've wished those existed but never seen them in Australia yet. Now I know that they actually exist maybe they'll show up sometime soon.

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Mar 3, 2015