Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The B_36 posted:

Why can't people just live in concrete cubes, and while they're at it, just stay on their respective sides of the river? Seriously, there's nothing interesting on the other bank that you don't already have on your side.

A bridge that breaks on a slightly windy day does indeed facilitate travel, in addition to looking fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

steinrokkan posted:

A bridge that breaks on a slightly windy day does indeed facilitate travel, in addition to looking fun!

Still better than the loving Garden Bridge.

A private bridge paid for by the government, on which
* groups of 8 or more
* cyclists
* walking between midnight and 6am
will not be permitted

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

blowfish posted:

Still better than the loving Garden Bridge.

A private bridge paid for by the government, on which
* groups of 8 or more
* cyclists
* walking between midnight and 6am
will not be permitted

The garden bridge won't be built though.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Captain Cool posted:

You could rebuild the inside structures more cheaply than you could rebuild a normal building since you don't have to worry about redoing windows, ventilation, and uh a roof I guess. Not that it's ever going to happen.

I also like the concept because it's genuinely different otoh literal tech bubble
This is actually an interesting idea - you build an environmentally-controlled area to to build buildings in - but how much energy does it waste to do heating and all the things you normally do for buildings for the entire giant bubble?

Elukka fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 3, 2015

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Depends on surface area, sun exposure, wind effects, etc. A dome would probably be more efficient than skyscraper valley. During the cold months you could use it similar to a greenhouse to save power, but open ventilation windows for cool wind during the summer. Technically it's the brutalist goon efficiency dream but with a spheroid instead of a cube, and also glass instead of concrete. Make it "smart" and it would climatize itself and only require maybe some additional cooling in summer.

In theory anyway.

Conceptually it is not actually particularly novel. Convention buildings/movie sets all do the same "pure structural building within controlled larger outer building" thing, but even changing those relatively simple things around generally isn't worth it compared to just moving to another (normal) building that is better suited.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm just happy that google are literally building a domed city - it's been a futuristic idea forever, so it's about time someone does it (even if this is a much smaller scale than most scifi proposals).

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Elukka posted:

This is actually an interesting idea - you build an environmentally-controlled area to to build buildings in - but how much energy does it waste to do heating and all the things you normally do for buildings for the entire giant bubble?

Do they have to do much climate control in California anyway? If its going to work anywhere, California is as ideal a climate as any to try it in I suppose. I'd be more concerned with earthquakes destroying a rather flimsy looking dome, but I'm sure they've taken that into account.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DNova posted:

What is a petition to graduate?

Do you actually in real life believe that there's some office that nobody can find, where they have to go in order to get their diploma, or else they are forced to pay for another semester of university?

Do you actually think that university has the interests of students in mind? Sorry, but all university wants is to bilk people out of cash. They spent the 60s sending rats thru mazes to streamline the process of loving over people who will spend hundreds of thousands of dollars and wind up with nothing for all that effort.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

Eh, not bad. Like Picasso attempted to draw the mcdonald's logo.

This one is the best if only because of its oppressive look. It's like a subtle gently caress you if you look at - the smog looking sky, the oppressive buildings, the industrial hell in the background, the concrete lead into a solitary figure sullenly walking to his death.

This entire design is literally calling London out as poo poo.

EDIT: Honestly the bridge doesn't even make an appearance really. It's drat near a second thought.

quote:

What the gently caress is this

Meanwhile this one looks like the guy was high on LSD. What in the actual gently caress? It doesn't even look architecturally feasible.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The subsidies over here are structured so the universities get more money if you finish on time, to encourage them to do all they can to keep students from dropping out or meandering. This has its own downsides (streamlining and an incentive to not fail bad students), but everything considered it's not a completely bad idea.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

WMain00 posted:

Meanwhile this one looks like the guy was high on LSD. What in the actual gently caress? It doesn't even look architecturally feasible.

It looks a lot like a protein model of some complex cell surface structure, and they tend to be color-coded on a similar scale. Not that this makes it a good choice for a bridge.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

ZeusCannon posted:

I realize this makes me a bad person with bad opinions but I think I like most of those. I enjoy the repeated shapes vibe going on.

No, most people in this thread have poo poo taste, m8.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Lamebot posted:

No, most people in this thread have poo poo taste, m8.

:britain:

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Those bridges are amazing. Here's an old plan for an airport on top of King's Cross station (right in Central London) from 1931.

Designed by architect Charles W. Glover, the new Central Airport for London was launched in an article in the Illustrated London News in 1931, and Glover presented a model at the Institution of Civil Engineers in June. It was to be built over the railway sidings just north of St Pancras. It would have cost some £5million.

It was envisonaged that planes would approach down a new ‘Aerial Way’ above the Pentonville Road, landing on one of the half-mile concrete runways (which look like spokes on a cartwheel.) In the 1930s, London had no skyscrapers, so the approach would have been obstacle free.

The “Aerial King’s Cross” would see both regular and private flights; businessmen who owned their own small planes would be able to store them in garages under the runways, which would be brought up by lifts when they were going to be flown. Passengers were taken up to the planes in much the same way, via lifts from the buildings below which made up the rest of the urban airfield.

Planes would taxi around the rim of the wheel until they got clearance to take off from the runways – which, due to the spoke design, were ingeniously laid out to allow take-offs and landings in eight different directions.

There were two problems with the concept, though: firstly, the design meant the runways could not be lengthened at a later date, and secondly, if a plane careered off one of the numerous edges, it would be a catastrophe.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

sweek0 posted:

Those bridges are amazing. Here's an old plan for an airport on top of King's Cross station (right in Central London) from 1931.

Designed by architect Charles W. Glover, the new Central Airport for London was launched in an article in the Illustrated London News in 1931, and Glover presented a model at the Institution of Civil Engineers in June. It was to be built over the railway sidings just north of St Pancras. It would have cost some £5million.

It was envisonaged that planes would approach down a new ‘Aerial Way’ above the Pentonville Road, landing on one of the half-mile concrete runways (which look like spokes on a cartwheel.) In the 1930s, London had no skyscrapers, so the approach would have been obstacle free.

The “Aerial King’s Cross” would see both regular and private flights; businessmen who owned their own small planes would be able to store them in garages under the runways, which would be brought up by lifts when they were going to be flown. Passengers were taken up to the planes in much the same way, via lifts from the buildings below which made up the rest of the urban airfield.

Planes would taxi around the rim of the wheel until they got clearance to take off from the runways – which, due to the spoke design, were ingeniously laid out to allow take-offs and landings in eight different directions.

There were two problems with the concept, though: firstly, the design meant the runways could not be lengthened at a later date, and secondly, if a plane careered off one of the numerous edges, it would be a catastrophe.

All I can imagine now is how godawful noisy that would have been. Normal City Sounds+Trains+A Airport.

Anyways have some another batch of unbuilt stuff, this time from LA, Houston,and Atlanta

The Monument to Democracy- Port of Los Angeles

Two designs for Bank of The Southwest Tower, Houston TX

Spring/Peachtree Street Mega-Project , "Just North of the Bank of America Tower"- Atlanta GA

quote:

Way back in '91, Swedish architect G. Lars Gullstedt announced plans for two 65-story towers, a new park and other amenities surrounding the Biltmore Hotel. It would've been a multi-BILLION dollar project. Mayor Maynard Jackson headed the press conference; it would BEAT Rockefeller Center. By '93, Swedish debtors were calling on loans. Gullstedt didn't have the dough

Santiago Calatrava's design for the Atlanta Symphony Center.

1960's Atlanta Baseball Stadium Proposal

Tower Place 400- Atlanta GA

quote:

Circa 2006, real estate tycoon Wayne Mason — whose supposed Midas Touch with residential investments helped transform the pastures of Gwinnett County — got really inspired by then-nascent Atlantic Station. Working with a group of Korean investors, Mason bought up two ailing shopping centers totaling 42 acres near Gwinnett Place Mall in Duluth. He called the vision "Global Station." It promised to reshape the suburban skyline and introduce mixed-use living on a scale never seen in suburban Atlanta.

Mason's answer to Atlantic Station was set to include as many as 10 towers, to be built over several years. Early concepts showed the $700 million retail, condo and commercial village with a huge central entertainment area, replete with an amphitheater and exotic architecture. In 2006, Mason projected that construction could start the following year.

Instead, the Recession happened.

The whole shebang went kaput in 2008, when Mason declared that his South Korean counterparts just couldn't line up the financing. And the long, slow decline of Gwinnett Place Mall continued.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2014/04/04/whatever-happened-to-the-gigantic-global-station.php

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Have some ancient Le Corbusier brutalist opressive urban madness, Plan Voisin.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Did those architects dig up Le Corbusier's plans to turn Atlanta into la ville radieuse?

E: beaten

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Sparq posted:

I want to live in this, and listen to Front 242 all day

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nckdictator posted:

Two designs for Bank of The Southwest Tower, Houston TX

This ended up being built in Philadelphia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty_Place#One_Liberty_Place

They had a hell of a time with the heating and cooling because the windows were designed with a Texas climate in mind.

But speaking of buildings that never got built:

The American Commerce Center in Philadelphia, PA.

This would have stood where they are building the Comcast II tower, but they didn't finalize anything before the economy took a gigantic poo poo, so it was scrapped.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 3, 2015

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

The B_36 posted:

This would have been the most ambitious and expensive engineering project in human history right? That's a huge amount of water to drain, and thousands of miles of massive dykes to be built, any one of which fail and millions of people die.
There's also a problem with what to do with all that water. A better solution would be to dig massive underground caves with massive holes leading into the ocean. The entire ocean drains underground, leaving us with 361 million square kilometers of land.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sparq posted:

I've seen this. China I think? I can't find good aerial pictures. http://listelist.com/cin-hayalet-sehirleri/

Found this along the way

http://gizmodo.com/china-accidentally-built-an-apartment-complex-in-the-mi-1442963266

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DNova posted:

What is a petition to graduate?

Do you actually in real life believe that there's some office that nobody can find, where they have to go in order to get their diploma, or else they are forced to pay for another semester of university?

i've never been able to find it i'm in my 24th consecutive semester now

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

i've never been able to find it i'm in my 24th consecutive semester now

The requirement to go to some unknown office really existed for graduate students at my university. The office was located on the second floor of the abandoned former book store. If you did not personally deliver your intent to graduate form something like two months ahead of time you had to wait until next semester. In addition, you could only file the form if you were currently enrolled in classes. I made the deadline by about 2 hours.

CuteJen96
Feb 23, 2015

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 2 years!)

just wanted to pop in and say this is a great thread

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

In the comments underneath in that article...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

might be noisy at night but good for that morning commute

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Iirc they caved in and moved out

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Murder anyone that still uses this command.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Weird I'm reviewing splines at this very moment, no seriously

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Weird I'm reviewing splines at this very moment, no seriously

:vd:

Nerdy autocad time... how many users know that there is an OOPS command? Not undo but oops, and be honest.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Looks stable.

gently caress, earthquake!

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Lets build a mall at the foot of the WTC, what could go wrong?

quote:

In 1992 the Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, owner of the World Trade Center, commissioned Davis Brody & Associates to develop a master plan for the redevelopment of the Center’s public spaces. The public spaces of the World Trade Center complex included the large open-air plaza plus 500,000 square feet of interior retail and circulation space on four different levels.

In 1994 a schematic design was developed to better define the architectural components of the master plan. These components included a monumental screen covering the existing plaza, new plaza structures adding restaurant and retail space and providing new access to the concourse level below, new street-level retail space along the Center’s perimeter and a new public park surrounding the complex.

A major feature of the redevelopment project, the plaza screen was designed to accomplish the following tasks: (1) visually define and unify a three-dimensional multi-purpose outdoor space; (2) mediate the strong cross winds created by the twin towers; (3) serve as a staging element for temporary plaza events. Hung with support cables from the adjacent towers, the plaza screen would require no additional vertical supports on the plaza or concourse levels. Visible from well outside the immediate vicinity, the support cables would serve as a symbol of the New World Trade Center.

Another principle feature of the Center’s redevelopment is the crescent shape North Plaza Building. The 60-foot tall, fully glazed structure would contain dining and interior circulation space along the northern edge of the open plaza. The design successfully creates an appropriately scaled focal point for the Plaza as it provides a single, unified identity to the various tenants and functions of the building.

The schematic design also included a refinement of the master plan’s new concourse level shopping complex. This work included the enhancement of circulation patterns and user orientation, the development of the architectural aesthetics and the integration of structural, mechanical and lighting systems throughout the retail complex.

ISKCON Temple-Planetarium Theater of the Vedic Science and Cosmology

(Surprisingly under construction)

quote:

The Temple of the Vedic Planetarium will be a stunning spritiual monument, dwarfing the already huge Srila Prabhupada Samadhi Mandir and featuring three giant gold domes. The middle, and largest, dome will house three different altars: one for the Gaudiya Vaishnava line of teachers and disciples, ranging from the Six Goswamis of the 15th century all the way to Srila Prabhupada; one for the Pancha-tattva of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and his associates; and one for Sri-Sri Radha-Madhava and their eight principal gopi servants.

What’s so special about the TOVP? Well, it was back in the 1970s that ISKCON’s founder Srila Prabhupada first expressed his desire to build a Vedic Planetarium at his society’s headquarters in Mayapur, India. “Within the planetarium we will construct a huge, detailed model of the universe as described in the text of the fifth canto of Srimad Bhagavatam,” he said.
Of course, as with everything he did, Srila Prabhupada was acting in fulfillment of the desires of previous spiritual teachers. A grand temple for Mayapur was predicted by none other than Lord Nityananda, the most intimate associate of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu, some five hundred years ago. Speaking to Srila Jiva Goswami, the Lord said:
“When our Lord Chaitanya disappears, by His desire, the Ganges will swell. The Ganges water will almost cover Mayapur for a hundred years, and then the water will again recede. For some time only the place will remain, devoid of houses. Then again, by the Lord’s desire, this place will again be manifest, and the devotees will build temples of the Lord. One exceedingly wonderful temple (adbhuta-mandira) will appear from which Gauranga’s eternal service will be preached everywhere.”
Srila Prabhupada wanted this great temple to have a specific look. In July 1976, during a visit to Washington D.C., he instructed Yadubara Dasa and Visakha Dasi to take photographs of the domed Capitol building there, as a basis for the TOVP. And in the early days of ISKCON in London, he gave further detailed instructions on what different parts of the temple should look like, directing many senior devotees make drawings and models of the building.

The Temple of the Vedic Planetarium will be a stunning spritiual monument, dwarfing the already huge Srila Prabhupada Samadhi Mandir and featuring three giant gold domes. The middle, and largest, dome will house three different altars: one for the Gaudiya Vaishnava line of teachers and disciples, ranging from the Six Goswamis of the 15th century all the way to Srila Prabhupada; one for the Pancha-tattva of Shri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu and his associates; and one for Sri-Sri Radha-Madhava and their eight principal gopi servants.

In the center of the middle dome, hanging from the ceiling, will be a huge rotating model of the universe as described in sacred texts such as the Srimad-Bhagavatam. Described by Srila Prabhupada in his letters, the model will be in the form of a chandelier, two hundred feet across, and will feature displays explaining how Vedic cosmology corresponds to the visible universe of our experience.
A smaller dome on the TOVP’s right hand side will serve as a separate temple for Krishna’s half-man half lion form, Lord Nrsimhadeva. And on the left hand side of the main temple, another dome will offer an enlivening tour of the various regions of the cosmic creation. Beginning from the lower planets, pilgrims will be able to travel up through the earthly realm and then on to the higher planetary systems, before passing beyond the boundary of the material universe. Within the spiritual realm, visitors will view the various spiritual planets, before finally arriving at the topmost spiritual abode of the Supreme Lord Sri Krishna.

Center of India Tower

(can't find any English language info)

Birmingham Civic Center

Part of it was built and still stands today.

The Albert Tower, London

No idea.

The Newton Cenotaph

Self Explanatory.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Bucharest Palace of Congress, aka supposedly the largest building in the world. It's also one of the few architectonical failures that arguably got their author killed as it was a symbol of Ceausescu's arrogance, and the stage of his capture prior to his execution.

It's one of those buildings that look better in photos. It's situated in the middle of a giant zone dominated by a monumental avenue that fails to impress because the huge open space makes it obvious just how poor the city is. It's a huge drain on resources, and it's very obvious, when you visit in person, that the Bucharest council can barely afford to pay for cutting grass in all the outlying areas. Also the whole complex is poorly thought out from pedestrian's point of view, as it's basically a never ending desert that's somehow located in the middle of an urban area.

Oh, did I mention that tens of thousands of people were displaced in obtaining land for building this monstrosity?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Bucharest Palace of Congress, aka supposedly the largest building in the world. It's also one of the few architectonical failures that arguably got their author killed as it was a symbol of Ceausescu's arrogance, and the stage of his capture prior to his execution.

It's one of those buildings that look better in photos. It's situated in the middle of a giant zone dominated by a monumental avenue that fails to impress because the huge open space makes it obvious just how poor the city is. It's a huge drain on resources, and it's very obvious, when you visit in person, that the Bucharest council can barely afford to pay for cutting grass in all the outlying areas. Also the whole complex is poorly thought out from pedestrian's point of view, as it's basically a never ending desert that's somehow located in the middle of an urban area.

Oh, did I mention that tens of thousands of people were displaced in obtaining land for building this monstrosity?

We are the Borg. You will be assimilated.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I love goofy unbuilt towers.

Adolf Loos' tribune tower design

Museum Tower Louisville OMA

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Russians used to be great at them:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

So while I don't get the whole brutalist love, since I think it's a neat concept but living or working near a brutalist building is kinda opressing, I wanted to show you guys a neat brutalist building which is right next to my appartment in Berlin, Germany:

This the institute for experimental medicine from the charite berlin, it looks like a battleship or something.

Like I said I think this thing is ugly as gently caress, but the concept is neat.

I also pass this thing frequently, the "Bierpinsel"

It's brutalist as well, but they painted it in really bright colors and I love this thing.

I found the first picture on some blog, which has a couple more pictures of Berlins brutalist architekture, not a lot though.

http://www.findingberlin.com/berlins-brutalist-architecture/

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."

Paddyb posted:

Russians used to be great at them:

lol wtf is this thing?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

WMain00 posted:

Eh. The bridge itself looks totally normal. It's just got a crazy birdnest of multicolored tubes tacked onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

?

(seriously it eerily looks almost exactly like I imagined Zakalwe's beached battleship)

• Locked thread