Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

i'm holding out hope that he becomes the browns' terry bradshaw who just flat out sucks early in his career but grows into a football giant. and i hope haslam just steadfastly refuses to fire/cut/trade him in the face of all of the criticism bc really, the only thing cleveland hasn't tried is being patient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
you say that but you have to recognize the little-known statistic "feel-games" which is the number of games it feels like a QB has started

little-known fact, Colt McCoy is the all-time NFL leader in feel-games with 12,000

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

they should try the feel of stability like all historically good franchises

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

TyrionBecomesASlave posted:

they should try the feel of stability like all historically good franchises

i mean at what point should the browns have stopped the spinning wheel though? Romeo Crennel? Eric Mangini? Chudzinski and Norv--oh wait that would have been nice

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

football fuckerman posted:

i mean at what point should the browns have stopped the spinning wheel though? Romeo Crennel? Eric Mangini? Chudzinski and Norv--oh wait that would have been nice

To be fair it seems as though any good talent gets poached fairly soon anyway (at least going by this year).

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

When the Browns drafted him I wanted them to start him from the get go. I didn't want them to draft him but once they did it was time to poo poo or get off the pot. This year I hope they don't gently caress around. Start him the whole season. If hes good or shows promise GREAT, if he is a total poo poo show go get Cardale Jones. Just for the love of god don't do some gently caress bullshit like starting McCown for half the season then putting JFF in for the second half where he shows just enough promise to warrant wasting another year with JFF starting the next season but not being the definitive QB.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Davis imo

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

How about don't start Johnny Manziel until you're 100% sure he won't poo poo himself in a game situation?

They rushed him this season and look at how well that panned out.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Smiling Mandrill posted:

if he is a total poo poo show go get Cardale Jones.

Man it doesn't take long for you guys to fall in love with someone from the general area. I mean the guy's got talent but let's see him start a few more games.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Grittybeard posted:

Man it doesn't take long for you guys to fall in love with someone from the general area. I mean the guy's got talent but let's see him start a few more games.

Our second best qb was a local boy almost said best but Otto Graham's ghost reached out of the grave and smacked me

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Ostentatious posted:

How about don't start Johnny Manziel until you're 100% sure he won't poo poo himself in a game situation?

There's some pretty strange fanfic going on for a lovely QB who was absolutely not ready to start an NFL game.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Flikken posted:

Our second best qb was a local boy almost said best but Otto Graham's ghost reached out of the grave and smacked me

Frank Ryan should slap the taste out of your mouth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Here's hoping the Browns manage to draft Danny Shelton and Andrus Peat then somehow bungle a team to take Gordon and Manziel for a 1st the following year.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

never heard of em

the playoffs are an event at the end of the season kinda like a tournament

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Sour Diesel posted:

the playoffs are an event at the end of the season kinda like a tournament

hosed up imo

also hosed up even though i was an angsty teen and i did not understand

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

computer parts posted:

To be fair it seems as though any good talent gets poached fairly soon anyway (at least going by this year).

no they just leave bc the place sucks... shanahan made a powerpoint about how much they suck before he quit. perhaps they should work on the "not sucking" part

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

though to be fair in order to do that it would require getting rid of haslam. good luck reforming white collar crime prosecution systems, browns fans

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Grittybeard posted:

Playing at OSU is just a bonus. I love the fact that Jones is a physical monster with a cannon for an arm. Even if he is totally average it'd be huge for the team to land a stable QB who could last consecutive seasons under center. Since 99 the Browns have only had one QB last an entire season.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Bigass Moth posted:

Hey what do you know, Kyle Shanahan wanted to draft Garoppolo and they shot him down instead gifting him with Manziel-mania (according to Pat McManamon).

He wanted Garoppolo with the 22nd pick? Or wanted to get him on Day 2 and was going to go BPA or something with the Manziel selection.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

kalensc posted:

He wanted Garoppolo with the 22nd pick? Or wanted to get him on Day 2 and was going to go BPA or something with the Manziel selection.

I'm guessing he would have grabbed him later. Which is exactly what I was rooting for. Going into last years draft I wanted Hoyer to be the starter Watkins to be our first pick, and wanted them to draft Garoppolo as the possible QB for the future. Once they drafted Manziel I was like gently caress it! You got him now play him, and see what we have. However the Browns being the Browns decided to do the same poo poo we do ever year, and play musical Qbs whilst we win just enough games to miss all the can't miss picks. Since 2007 the Browns have to be most consistent 5-7 win team in the history of the NFL.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I think it's inaccurate to say the Browns rushed Manziel onto the field. He was the last of the rookie QBs to start (among rookie QBs who did start, obviously) and he had plenty of time to learn what he was doing

Also there's the fact that he was getting wasted and not giving a gently caress rather than staying sober and giving a gently caress, so any talk of rushing him kind of falls flat. Maybe he would have been ready if he heeded JJ Watt or at least acted like a normal rookie

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I think it's inaccurate to say the Browns rushed Manziel onto the field. He was the last of the rookie QBs to start (among rookie QBs who did start, obviously) and he had plenty of time to learn what he was doing

Also there's the fact that he was getting wasted and not giving a gently caress rather than staying sober and giving a gently caress, so any talk of rushing him kind of falls flat. Maybe he would have been ready if he heeded JJ Watt or at least acted like a normal rookie

Who thinks Manziel got rushed? If anything they should have thrown him in the water right away and given him a season to sink or swim.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Ostentatious posted:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So you never start Manziel? Probably the best advice.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Elephanthead posted:

So you never start Manziel? Probably the best advice.

At least not until Mike Evans is a free agent

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Did you watch the game he started? I've never seen a QB in the NFL be less prepared for a debut start. Never. Pettine had been saying all year that he wasn't ready and it was plainly obvious he was right.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Wasn't there a rumour that Manziel wasn't game ready because he wasn't putting in effort to learn the playbook? I mean in that case you would never start him. Probably better then throw him in for the 3 games, let him get crushed and get a wake-up call for next season. Just don't pull a Carr and let him get sacked 200+ times in his first 50 games.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

warcrimes posted:

Did you watch the game he started? I've never seen a QB in the NFL be less prepared for a debut start. Never. Pettine had been saying all year that he wasn't ready and it was plainly obvious he was right.

he wasn't ready, but he wasn't rushed. he was...a jackass child *bangs gavel*

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

DariusLikewise posted:

Wasn't there a rumour that Manziel wasn't game ready because he wasn't putting in effort to learn the playbook? I mean in that case you would never start him. Probably better then throw him in for the 3 games, let him get crushed and get a wake-up call for next season. Just don't pull a Carr and let him get sacked 200+ times in his first 50 games.

Anecdotes filtered out about how he had to be helped with the plays in the huddle. Also, "guys absolutely not ready to play, so start him!" is more fanfic bullshit that nobody in the real world thinks.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm pretty sure you could write a fanfic about the imaginary worst NFL franchise of all time and it would still be more believable than all the ways the Browns have failed.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Its a shame that Jerry Jones was blocked from drafting Manziel, if only for Manziel's sake. The Cowboy's offensive line + Dez Bryant would be an extension of his situation at A&M, only with a better ground game. Plus the media circus would be phenomenal whenever Romo threw an int.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

he wasn't ready, but he wasn't rushed. he was...a jackass child *bangs gavel*

it's this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Johnny absolutely was rushed.

He should have sat two seasons minimum.

He is a project, everyone loving knew that.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Johnny absolutely was rushed.

He should have sat two seasons minimum.

He is a project, everyone loving knew that.

I don't think there is a single team in the NFL that would sit a heisman 1st round pick for two seasons in this era though

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There's nothing wrong with giving a project a couple games as a rookie to get his feet wet. If he starts 10 games next year, that would count as being rushed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think there is a single team in the NFL that would sit a heisman 1st round pick for two seasons in this era though

I agree but its still dumb.

Really the Browns were one of the worst fits for Johnny. He needed the Cowboys or someone to pick him.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

CharlestheHammer posted:

I agree but its still dumb.

Really the Browns were one of the worst fits for Johnny. He needed the Cowboys or someone to pick him.

Yeah, he needed the Rodgers treatment. Sit on a team behind an established QB for a couple of years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I don't think an arrogant alcoholic gloryboy is the kind of person who flourishes while riding the bench either

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

He also could've had Irvin mentor him and help him get his head straight

Why are you all looking at me like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't think an arrogant alcoholic gloryboy is the kind of person who flourishes while riding the bench either

It might have given him some perspective. Romo would have taught him how to party and then bring it during practice.

• Locked thread