Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
sac nonbasic seems absurd in limited.

would that be a common cuz that would be nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Starving Autist posted:

As worded, it's just 2 mana for a 3/2 flying as long as you have only basic lands, which seems ok to me.

quote:

only basic lands

TheKingofSprings posted:

Look if they print a 1R Dragon that's Legacy playable they can do whatever the gently caress they want

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Burn only plays basics right? I don't see the problem.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So which side up is the correct way to sleeve your cards? Bottom of card to bottom of sleeve or the opposite?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

mr. mephistopheles posted:

That's serious bullshit that Wizards straight altered it. I would have demanded they remove my credit. I hope their policy is better now.

Invasion, Odyssey and Onslaught blocks all had zealous photoshopping done for some reason. Almost any card art with Kamahl has had his hair photoshopped out. (You can still see some of it on Kamahl's Desire). Same with Seton who had a major design change. They also had to digitally remove a bunch of saddles from the centaurs in Odyssey block.

Guiltfeeder had goofy legs added to it in post.

Defiling Tears went from This to This.

The change in art directors mostly put the kibosh on that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Rinkles posted:

So which side up is the correct way to sleeve your cards? Bottom of card to bottom of sleeve or the opposite?

Perfect fit with the opening on the bottom of the card, regular sleeve on top facing up. But really, as long as they're uniform it doesn't matter.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chorocojo posted:

I love rk post's artwork to bits but that's not really a good example of them ruining one of his pieces. I'm not really sure why the original seems to be framed around the troll doll on her shoulder, for one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

whydirt posted:

Given the number of sets and settings WotC has to make for Magic, especially now that they put out two unique blocks each year, it was pretty much inevitable that we'd get Dragon World eventually. If you don't like dragons, that's cool, but this set isn't for you. Both Avacyn Restored and Dragons of Tarkir are standalone big sets, so it's not like we're seeing old-school 3 set blocks with these heavy tribal themes like we might have in olden times.

I am disappointed that they couldn't figure out a balanced dragon that could be a common.

They really aren't any different than any other creature other than they fly. *shrug* I guess they're sort of battlecruisery if you hate that sort of thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Perfect fit with the opening on the bottom of the card, regular sleeve on top facing up. But really, as long as they're uniform it doesn't matter.

Curious about the reason for the differentiation.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Spiderdrake posted:

I love rk post's artwork to bits but that's not really a good example of them ruining one of his pieces. I'm not really sure why the original seems to be framed around the troll doll on her shoulder, for one.

Oh no, I wasn't saying they ruined it. It's definitely one of the biggest changes they did to a piece, though.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Chorocojo posted:

Invasion, Odyssey and Onslaught blocks all had zealous photoshopping done for some reason. Almost any card art with Kamahl has had his hair photoshopped out. (You can still see some of it on Kamahl's Desire). Same with Seton who had a major design change. They also had to digitally remove a bunch of saddles from the centaurs in Odyssey block.

Guiltfeeder had goofy legs added to it in post.

The change in art directors mostly put the kibosh on that.

I can understand the change in Defiling tears because the full art looks like a creature, specifically an angel (Desolate Angel or Fallen Angel). Now it's focused more on the face, where the tears are.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Rinkles posted:

the perfect fit should be open at the bottom of the card, the dragonshield / kmc should be open at the top.

efb really?

to answer your followup:

Rinkles posted:

The perfect fit is the inner sleeve when you're doublesleeving. You want the openings to be opposite so that way poo poo doesn't get inbetween the sleeve and the card.

You want the outer sleeve to be open on the top because it keeps cards from working their way out of teh sleeve when you are riffling them in your hand repeatedly while your opponent tanks.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 4, 2015

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rinkles posted:

Dust gets in the first sleeve but not the second.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Offcentering your subject is an extremely basic compositional technique. Also it lets the wings look more impressive.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

It doesn't matter which way you sleeve it. I just said that way is correct because it's the way I do it. As long as every card is sleeved the same way, you're good.

Count Bleck posted:

Dust gets in the first sleeve but not the second.

Also this.

Edit: I don't think I've ever changed the perfect fits on any of my legacy cards but I change the regular sleeves every month or 2 at most.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 4, 2015

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

If you put the opening at the bottom on a Perfect Fit and the opening at the top on the outer sleeve, the top edge of your card stays protected from dust and wear (you do get a bit of top edge wear even in sleeves); you also get some degree of liquid proofing if some dude drops a beer on your cards since it would have to go all the way to the bottom of the sleeve to get your card wet.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

If you doublesleeved the same direction the top of the card would see considerably more wear.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Also the responses are about double sleeving but I don't see that in the question?

If you're just single sleeving it doesn't matter as long as all your sleeves point in the same way as everyone ahs said.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If you doublesleeved the same direction the top of the card would see considerably more wear.

Also it would defeat the purpose of double sleeving which is to form some kind of plastic "seal" to keep poo poo from getting onto the card itself

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

IIRC the defiling tears crop was an edit and originally the art was meant for an angel.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Zoness posted:

Also the responses are about double sleeving but I don't see that in the question?

If you're just single sleeving it doesn't matter as long as all your sleeves point in the same way as everyone ahs said.

Also it would defeat the purpose of double sleeving which is to form some kind of plastic "seal" to keep poo poo from getting onto the card itself

When single-sleeving (which is all I do now, I'm lazy) I prefer the opening at the top. The reason being that gravity will pull the cards downwards and out of the sleeve as you hold them in your hand, which increases the chances for it to either fall out entirely (unlikely) or to poke out and create the opportunity for edge-wear. I've never seen anyone sleeve them with the opening at the bottom, actually.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

When single-sleeving (which is all I do now, I'm lazy) I prefer the opening at the top. The reason being that gravity will pull the cards downwards and out of the sleeve as you hold them in your hand, which increases the chances for it to either fall out entirely (unlikely) or to poke out and create the opportunity for edge-wear. I've never seen anyone sleeve them with the opening at the bottom, actually.

I accidentally sleeved my first modern deck with all the perfect fits opening up, and I didn't care enough to fix them so I just put the regular sleeves on upside down. The only reason I could ever tell the difference was the Ultrapro hologram was on top of the card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

I accidentally sleeved my first modern deck with all the perfect fits opening up, and I didn't care enough to fix them so I just put the regular sleeves on upside down. The only reason I could ever tell the difference was the Ultrapro hologram was on top of the card.

Double sleeved cards don't move in the sleeve much due to friction (or just size). This is actually why I don't use Hyper Mattes unless I'm double-sleeving - they're a little too big so the card moves around in the sleeve if they aren't double sleeved and then the card gets wear on the edge.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I fold the card over and shove that motherfucker in sideways.

That way, I play based on the art, and can more easily recognize what the opponent has out.

Yeah, all my cards are considered damaged because of the creasing, but if someone steals my 16000 dollar vintage deck, I can always identify it.

joke about that dude that white borders his decks.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

Double sleeved cards don't move in the sleeve much due to friction (or just size). This is actually why I don't use Hyper Mattes unless I'm double-sleeving - they're a little too big so the card moves around in the sleeve if they aren't double sleeved and then the card gets wear on the edge.

I thought hyper mattes were made that way specifically to let you double sleeve with perfect fits?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Changes

F2P Magic game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUjnNUy0H1I

"Enter the world’s most popular strategy game with Magic Duels™ Origins, an all-new, free-to-play digital experience. Build powerful decks from an ever-growing collection of earnable cards, and sharpen your skills in a variety of unique solo and multiplayer modes. Begin your adventure here!"

http://news.xbox.com/2015/03/games-idxbox-gdc-2015

"Magic the Gathering: F2P (Wizards of the Coast): The world’s most beloved collectible card game goes free-to-play! It will make its console debut first on Xbox one"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Rinkles posted:

Changes

F2P Magic game

"Enter the world’s most popular strategy game with Magic Duels™ Origins, an all-new, free-to-play digital experience. Build powerful decks from an ever-growing collection of earnable cards, and sharpen your skills in a variety of unique solo and multiplayer modes. Begin your adventure here!"

"Magic the Gathering: F2P (Wizards of the Coast): The world’s most beloved collectible card game goes free-to-play! It will make its console debut first on Xbox one"

So this is just Duels of the Planeswalkers 2016, right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Entropic posted:

So this is just Duels of the Planeswalkers 2016, right?

Probs. But with a new payment model. I doubt their complete yet accessible magic experience Hearthstone competitor is ready/will ever materialize, and the naming would be poor.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

I thought hyper mattes were made that way specifically to let you double sleeve with perfect fits?

Yes they are. But they have a nice feel so I gave it a try and found they were too big, so I use Dragon Shields as regular single-sleeves now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
My legacy decks are in DS Double Sleeves and they are fine but they get really dirty really fast. Never break though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Are there clear sleeves designed to go over top of normal sized sleeves (which could have perfect fits inside them already) to protect them or did I just imagine that in a fever dream?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Entropic posted:

Are there clear sleeves designed to go over top of normal sized sleeves (which could have perfect fits inside them already) to protect them or did I just imagine that in a fever dream?

Are you asking if there's a Triple Sleeve?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Of course if you want to be fully protected you put each of those triple-sleeved cards inside a hard toploader.

I mean, sure, your deck will be ten inches tall, but you can't be too careful.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Put all your cards inside this and then use the gloves to play.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Rinkles posted:

with your lands in front

Rinkles posted:

Changes

F2P Magic game

Great move by Wizards, I think I got last years' Duels on my android tablet and it was crack.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Entropic posted:

Yes KMC Character Guards I believe.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Entropic posted:

Yes Ultra Pro makes some called sleeve protectors. I accidentally bought a pack once.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gyshall posted:

Great move by Wizards, I think I got last years' Duels on my android tablet and it was crack.

I found the interface incredibly tedious. Lack of an upkeep and other steps was also annoying.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Entropic posted:

If you order custom sleeves from InkedPlaymats.com, they include clear "Sleeve Protectors" so your custom sleeves stay safe.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I guess if you have really rare limited edition sleeves or something and don't want them getting dirty.

:inception noise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
My LGS manager has Doge sleeves with clear sleeves over them with the "much <X>, very <Y>, so <Z>" on them.

He uses these sleeves for his EDH UW Grand Arbiter control deck. :v:

• Locked thread