Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Just a question for people who'd know the answer. Since you can go blind by watching a total solar eclipse, wouldn't watching the same thing with the moon at ISS distance still cause blindness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

umalt posted:

Just a question for people who'd know the answer. Since you can go blind by watching a total solar eclipse, wouldn't watching the same thing with the moon at ISS distance still cause blindness?

The thing that's bad for your eyes in a solar eclipse is you're staring at the sun, not that you're staring at the moon. The moon might have significant enough albedo at ISS distance to cause eye damage when full but I doubt it.

Bip Roberts has a new favorite as of 09:00 on Feb 22, 2015

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

umalt posted:

:psyduck:

One's a hunk of rock, the other's a loving star for pete's sake.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

umalt posted:

A total solar eclipse can blind you because a hazardous amount of light will still reach you if you stare at the thing, which you probably will, because it's a total solar eclipse.

No light gets through in the close-orbit case.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Captain Lavender posted:

This is literally the scariest thing I've ever seen.

They're forgetting the planet-wide tidal wave that comes with the moon's orbit.
which slows it down in millions of years leading to a collision with the earth.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Thanks, I'm a dumbass.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Captain Lavender posted:

This is literally the scariest thing I've ever seen.

I like the nice hole we punch in the ring system.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Maggie Fletcher posted:

That is terrifying and beautiful. I've had dreams/nightmares like that too, and in my dreams I'm always scared and awed by the beauty of it. Just think if that were for real, we'd all be so used to it that we wouldn't even think about it.

Well.............what if the moon was a disco ball??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8I25H3bnNw

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Rondette posted:

Well.............what if the moon was a disco ball??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8I25H3bnNw

We'd wanna boogie oogie oogie till we just can't boogie no more?

Seriously, that was terrifying creeping over the horizon. Then it just got silly.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

http://video.orange.com/nl/music/mythbusters-made-an-anti-zombie-truck-crazy/

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I like how everything gets loving shredded and then the Beetle just kinda bounces away. Godspeed, tiny hippie car.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I think I drove something like this in Saints Row the Third.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

M.Ciaster posted:

I like how everything gets loving shredded and then the Beetle just kinda bounces away. Godspeed, tiny hippie car.

Well, Beetles are like, eternal. They just won't die off.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Hra Mormo posted:

Well, Beetles are like, eternal. They just won't die off.

Maj. Abraham Falconer: I understand you've been sleeping with the Volkswagen
Cpl. Clearboy: Yes sir, Is there a regulation against it sir?
Maj. Abraham Falconer: Yes
Cpl. Clearboy: Sodomy?
Maj. Abraham Falconer: That's animals, there's a regulation against using enemy equipment. Creates confusion.
Cpl. Clearboy: Sir, she's a beautiful car, sir
Maj. Abraham Falconer: You must love the Volkswagen very much Corporal Clearboy
Cpl. Clearboy: 36 Horses. No water, sir. Hides her engine in the rear, air cooled, no water, sir!
Maj. Abraham Falconer: Is the world suffering a water shortage Corporal Clearboy?
Cpl. Clearboy: Not now sir, but suppose this war just goes on and on and on and destroys everything in the world. Well, since the Volkswagen can get along without water, she's bound to survive when other creatures die off. Someday the world is going to be populated with nothing but Volkswagens!

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I want to see ambulances and fire trucks with these, just for the entertainment of watching assholes get wrecked when they refuse to move out of the way :black101:

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
This must be one of the most satisfying things to do. "What should I do today? I know, I'm going to bodycheck 20 cars."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
That guy is pretty badass-looking indeed.

Unrelated:

How cold is it in New England? It's so cold you can see nearly-frozen waves in Nantucket.

Mephiston
Mar 10, 2006

Android Bicyclist posted:

That guy is pretty badass-looking indeed.

This guy gets bonus points for the spoon at the back of his gun. Badass and practical.

Mephiston has a new favorite as of 09:13 on Feb 27, 2015

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I guess he kept that animal around because its pelt was so bad.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Android Bicyclist posted:

Unrelated:

How cold is it in New England? It's so cold you can see nearly-frozen waves in Nantucket.

I saw something similar in RI as a kid and it is amazing.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

I saw something similar in RI as a kid and it is amazing.

Is it like a slow motion wave? I've never lived north of central California.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Nah it's just frozen water on the surface and regular waves.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

It feels like there should be a full set of pictures of this guy. Does anyone have any more?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

It's not a picture but the story of an Inuit displaced by the Canadian government who having no other tools available is the most loving metal thing I've ever heard. :black101:

quote:

The Inuit didn’t fear the cold; they took advantage of it. During the 1950s the Canadian government forced the Inuit into settlements. A family from Arctic Bay told me this fantastic story of their grandfather who refused to go. The family, fearful for his life, took away all of his tools and all of his implements, thinking that would force him into the settlement. But instead, he just slipped out of an igloo on a cold Arctic night, pulled down his caribou and sealskin trousers, and defecated into his hand. As the feces began to freeze, he shaped it into the form of an implement. And when the blade started to take shape, he put a spray of saliva along the leading edge to sharpen it. That’s when what they call the “poo poo knife” took form. He used it to butcher a dog. Skinned the dog with it. Improvised a sled with the dog’s rib cage, and then, using the skin, he harnessed up an adjacent living dog. He put the poo poo knife in his belt and disappeared into the night.

http://boingboing.net/2008/09/26/wade-davis-an-inuit.html

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Haruharuharuko posted:

It's not a picture but the story of an Inuit displaced by the Canadian government who having no other tools available is the most loving metal thing I've ever heard. :black101:

http://boingboing.net/2008/09/26/wade-davis-an-inuit.html

"My grandad is more badass than your grandad."

"Why?"

"He took a poo poo in his hand and used it to kill a dog."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Sounds a lot like STDH. I mean... A poo poo knife sounds cool in a,
'gently caress you, I can make a knife with literally nothing else but my own body'
sort of way... But I'd think it'd be a lot more practical to make one from some ice or a rock.

Surely there was lots of ice and rocks to use.

Though I will save this poo poo knife trick in the back of my mind if I'm ever a prisoner somewhere very cold, with no other tools, and need to kill a guard to escape.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Dude had access to ice and rocks like Bouvenstein said. There's no way that's a real story.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Maybe he just had a senior moment.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Making stone tools is not quite that straight forward.
i)You need the right kind of stone, something that will fracture in the right way (ideally conchoidally).
ii)it is really not something you can do sneakily, repeatedly hitting a rock with another one or even a wood or bone softhammer is not quiet.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

He put the poo poo knife in his belt and disappeared into the night.

And then came to the settlement later anyhow to tell us this story about how much he was against going to the settlement.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ReidRansom posted:

He put the poo poo knife in his belt and disappeared into the night.

And then came to the settlement later anyhow to tell us this story about how much he was against going to the settlement.

The authorities tried to do a toolmark analysis on the remaining bones of the dog, but things just didn't smell right, so they did DNA analysis on the poo poo and saliva scrapings.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
This mad scientist/inventor even had the right haircut:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

EmptyVessel posted:

Making stone tools is not quite that straight forward.
i)You need the right kind of stone, something that will fracture in the right way (ideally conchoidally).
ii)it is really not something you can do sneakily, repeatedly hitting a rock with another one or even a wood or bone softhammer is not quiet.

This is tangentially related to stone tools, but someone recently told me about ancient people making stone axes, and placing them around tree branches. Over many years, the wood would grow and securely grab the axe in place, and then your children or grandchildren would have access to better axes

Does anyone know anything about this?

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

blunt for century posted:

This is tangentially related to stone tools, but someone recently told me about ancient people making stone axes, and placing them around tree branches. Over many years, the wood would grow and securely grab the axe in place, and then your children or grandchildren would have access to better axes

Does anyone know anything about this?

Like this? I vaguely remember an old hippy I knew talking about it.

Theres reference to it here too.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

DesperateDan posted:

Like this? I vaguely remember an old hippy I knew talking about it.

Theres reference to it here too.

That must be what I was talking about. :downs:

I just heard about it in person, and didn't have any reference for the idea, except that trees get bigger over time. I assumed that it would be the type of axe that would have a hole in the head for the handle, and they would push a branch through that hole, but this idea makes a lot more sense, and it would be easier to arrange as well.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

That sounds like bullshit tbh. I work with stone tools, specifically stone axes and adzes, and I've never heard of a properly documented example of that practice. It's actually a lovely way to do it anyway, why bother when wood is usually readily available?

It could well be true, of course, it might just be out of my period.

Edit: the sources above are relating to the "ancient art" of doing this. But waiting 6-8 years for a marginally better axe, when you're making them in a matter of hours and keep having to remove them from their handle to sharpen them up? Pointless!

It is tough to make stone tools quietly but it's not impossible at all. Soft hammers (antler and wood specifically) make a dull thud with a light ring when the stone flakes off. After a few of those you can pressure flake a good sharp edge, totally silently. I used to knapp flint in the garden when I couldn't sleep, you get good at closing down at least some of the noise. A wrap around the body of the stone will do well.

lenoon has a new favorite as of 23:50 on Mar 3, 2015

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style
Crosspostin' this bad-arse weasel that's making the rounds

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
World's biggest Harley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope