Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This looks like the kind of poo poo Travis Touchdown would watch in his anime-jam-packed apartment in No More Heroes 1

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

:pcgaming: :pcgaming: :pcgaming:

Glowku posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsl_xSpxn_s

Edit: Go to 1 minute 5 seconds for the HBG anime theme. I am failing to post it correctly it keeps auto parsing the youtu.be

CJacobs posted:

This looks like the kind of poo poo Travis Touchdown would watch in his anime-jam-packed apartment in No More Heroes 1

Wish this was true

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Kiggles posted:

Get an ice element Charge Blade (with element phials). Get your shield charged. Once your shield is charged, start practicing the guard points as monoblos charges back and forth. On guard points (with a charged shield) you will get a free phial hit. Since your weapon is ice, the phials type is element, and the head (horn) takes the most damage from Ice, you should deal loads of damage toward getting that break. Additionally, you will learn one of the more interesting mechanics on Charge Blade. When you have learned it, the fight will actually end up being pretty safe.

Tip: leave your movement stick neutral, and use 'special' attack option on the touch screen while your weapon is drawn. You might have this configured to be start/select. Whatever your kick button is. This will be the most immediate way to access the guard point. Try it to make sure. If your shield comes down in front of you before the weapon transformation, you did it correctly.

Oh wow, that is quite the detailed strategy. I've been wanting to try Charge Blade, I'm sure I can make a halfway decent one with ice element at this point.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ryFBNatHQ

Just saying

dat narga armor

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
So at the high-end of G rank, How often will i bounce with blue/white sharpness, as opposed to purple sharpness? Does Purple sharpness go through everything?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Should I make a Seregios Lance, Dual Blades, Hunting Horn, or just not do anything and stick with what I have? The Hunting Horn looks like it has some pretty drat good songs so I'm tempted.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

enojy posted:

Oh wow, that is quite the detailed strategy. I've been wanting to try Charge Blade, I'm sure I can make a halfway decent one with ice element at this point.

kushala one is pretty easy to get.

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

So at the high-end of G rank, How often will i bounce with blue/white sharpness, as opposed to purple sharpness? Does Purple sharpness go through everything?

on the higher monsters blue bounces pretty often. Purple does not go through everything.

Mayor Glowku
Jul 29, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Should I make a Seregios Lance, Dual Blades, Hunting Horn, or just not do anything and stick with what I have? The Hunting Horn looks like it has some pretty drat good songs so I'm tempted.

I'm a fan of defense + stamina negate. but no attack L is pretty weak :(

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Glowku posted:

I can, and I will. As glaive half the time in parties all i do is try to mount, which I don't find entertaining. It's a very good weapon for solo though, I use the hazy caster for expeditions depending on the monster im hunting
Did you fully upgrade the bug yet? With double extract length you can do absurd DPS and your greatest contribution to the party won't be "that guy who does the mounting" anymore. With a Ladytower on the Naja glaive I'd get a mount off, start working on the tail, get stun off, then the hammer guy gets a KO, then you get the tailcut, and the monster gets taken through this rinse cycle of endless slaughter that would not have been possible without the tools glaive brings.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

for high-end high-end G, purple's pretty much required, which usually means s+1/honed edge is pretty much required, or at least sharpness if you've got some natural purple

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Glowku posted:

Edit: Go to 1 minute 5 seconds for the HBG anime theme. I am failing to post it correctly it keeps auto parsing the youtu.be

I watched that whole thing against my better judgement, as well as the clip with the narga armor. I was beginning to wonder if there were actually monsters in that Monster Hunter anime.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Monster Hunter's multiplayer is like lobbies, yeah? Single person hosting a game and their connection quality will determine how well the session plays? Wanna make sure before I subject people to my crap ISP.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Colapops posted:

I watched that whole thing against my better judgement, as well as the clip with the narga armor. I was beginning to wonder if there were actually monsters in that Monster Hunter anime.

I'm so ashamed to admit that I wanted that to be a real Monster Hunter anime...

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does 4U have voice chat?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Glowku posted:

Capcom hopes tits will sell their really bad web/mobile version of Monster Hunter.

Come play, my lord!

Kinda makes me want a Monster Hunter anime, although not like this exactly.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

tlarn posted:

Monster Hunter's multiplayer is like lobbies, yeah? Single person hosting a game and their connection quality will determine how well the session plays? Wanna make sure before I subject people to my crap ISP.

Supposedly it selects the best host from the group. Or idk maybe that's not true. Either way it doesn't matter much because you need to have a gigantically bad connection to start seeing any problems. The game doesn't sync much other than players and big monsters, and even that it does in a fairly relaxed fashion.

e: unless your connection just drops out entirely all the time in which case I don't think people will want to play with you

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 4, 2015

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does 4U have voice chat?

Nope. Limited to chat by way of pre-made messages or tapping on a virtual keyboard. Most people use Skype/Vent/Mumble/etc when playing with friends.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would watch that monster hunter anime and i would like it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would watch a Monster Hunter anime. Maybe not that one because I saw exactly one monster (or, well, the shadow of one), but a Monster Hunter anime for sure.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

tower of druaga posted:

Supposedly it selects the best host from the group. Or idk maybe that's not true. Either way it doesn't matter much because you need to have a gigantically bad connection to start seeing any problems. The game doesn't sync much other than players and big monsters, and even that it does in a fairly relaxed fashion.

From the very first game, the net code is such that it establishes a P2P connection with the first person to 'spot' the boss monster being the host for its reactions online. It's actually really clever and means even pings over 300ms aren't too debilitating as long as there's no packet loss.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

This crit draw talk gave me the idea to load up my MH3U file with a crit draw set and equip a hammer.

Confirmed that you can draw into a charge with R+X+A and get a guaranteed charge attack crit - either an uppercut, and both hits of the superpound also appear to crit the upswing and pound). Gimmicky, stupid and unpractical, but still fun!

I tested in 3U because I don't yet have a crit draw set in 4U, but I'd be surprised if that didn't carry over.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

tower of druaga posted:

e: unless your connection just drops out entirely all the time in which case I don't think people will want to play with you

Emalde posted:

From the very first game, the net code is such that it establishes a P2P connection with the first person to 'spot' the boss monster being the host for its reactions online. It's actually really clever and means even pings over 300ms aren't too debilitating as long as there's no packet loss.

Basically Monster Hunter's engineers said "What do we do about possible desync" and then somebody awkwardly raised a hand and said "What if we just design it to always be desynched, so that it doesn't matter?"

And then everybody went out for beer.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

hot anime babes with large weapons are extremely my poo poo

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

So is it even possible to fail the "Gore Magala Drama" quest? He took me out during our second bout and when I came back the ace hunters were blowing up the rock and ending the quest. Could poison damage have pushed him over the edge as I made my way back?

Having fun so far but I'm not to sure on the new climbing/jumping mechanics. I miss swimming.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Thanks for the posts on connectivity; yeah, when I pubbed up to get some quick Velocidrome fights in so I can finally have my easy-tracking suit, I noticed that the folks carving were sometimes several meters away from what I saw they were supposedly carving; not just big monsters, but smaller ones and shiny drops as well.

Also the only way I'd watch a Monster Hunter anime is if they got the Cromartie High guy to write it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Awesome! posted:

i would watch that monster hunter anime and i would like it

there was a monster hunter manga. i read like a single chapter and it was very bad. the villains put knives and nails and poo poo in their flash bombs and it shredded the monsters' faces which is bad because you need to respect the monster as you kill it

RME
Feb 20, 2012

the kushala daora endfight was pretty lame
back in my day, the game just threw elder dragons at you with no explanation of their weird auras or repels

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also i think the hero's big superpower was that he could go into other people's quests once they started because he had a special tattoo

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The ace commander is tsundere as hell so its already anime in the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I liked the resolution of the G-rank hell hunters quest line. Not what I was expecting.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Fungah! posted:

there was a monster hunter manga. i read like a single chapter and it was very bad. the villains put knives and nails and poo poo in their flash bombs and it shredded the monsters' faces which is bad because you need to respect the monster as you kill it

As if a giant keg full of explosives isn't already just an item in the game which would do much worse when placed near a sleeping monster's face.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Flython posted:

I miss swimming.

it's you, you're the real monster

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Flython posted:

I miss swimming.
:dogbutton:

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Swimming was great. Each of the weapons had their own little quirk underwater and I'll love Gobul until the day I day. Shame his armour and weapons were pretty but useless.

Climbing so far just seems to drag the fights out and riding monsters is only good for clearing subquests.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Dragging fights out is all that swimming did... ?___?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Flython posted:

Swimming was great. Each of the weapons had their own little quirk underwater and I'll love Gobul until the day I day. Shame his armour and weapons were pretty but useless.

Climbing so far just seems to drag the fights out and riding monsters is only good for clearing subquests.

nah it was rancid poo poo with no redeeming features. Try to dodge left WHOOPS youre going forward buddy.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I didn't buy MH3U because of swimming

Portable 3rd, the true MH3 experience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I thought I was doing pretty okay at Monster Hunter 4. I've never really gotten into one before but I've got a bunch of time in, made some new weapons and armor, and was clearing fights pretty steadily. Then I got the urgent quest to kill Gore Magala. Any tips? Dude just kind of mopped the floor with me. I'm using an insect glaive but I'm debating making dual fire swords since supposedly he's weak to fire.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Flython posted:

riding monsters is only good for clearing subquests.
A basically guaranteed stun and like ten seconds where teammates can heal/sharpen/whatever? Useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Len posted:

I thought I was doing pretty okay at Monster Hunter 4. I've never really gotten into one before but I've got a bunch of time in, made some new weapons and armor, and was clearing fights pretty steadily. Then I got the urgent quest to kill Gore Magala. Any tips? Dude just kind of mopped the floor with me. I'm using an insect glaive but I'm debating making dual fire swords since supposedly he's weak to fire.

The biggest thing with him in my opinion is to be super agressive and never let yourself get hit with the virus debuff and just stay between his legs.

• Locked thread