Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
A motley crew of items from Amazon:

Blades for my face. I'm about done my 50-pack of Astras, and while they were ok, I think I'll like these better, if I'm remembering my experience correctly with the variety pack I bought some time back.

2-pack of 1-pounds bags of powdered peanut butter.

Microplane grater. I've had a knockoff brand one for a year or so, and after using a REAL one at a friend's house, I can't stand the fake one...not NEARLY as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
How does the powdered peanut butter works? You have to add some water and mix?

Microplanes are amazing, and so are feathers.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

How does the powdered peanut butter works? You have to add some water and mix?

Microplanes are amazing, and so are feathers.

Its dehydrated roasted PB with all the oil removed. Adding water is fine, but it tastes much better with milk. It also makes a great protein smoothie since its all protein and fiber. If I'm spreading it on toast or a sandwich, I add some peanut oil back in, otherwise its kind of chalky.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Yeah, I would imagine you'd use it more for peanut butter flavor rather than actual peanut butter, so it would get used in a lot of blended things or as a topping.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
That's pretty cool, thanks to you both. I'm not really sure I have a use for it but I want some nonetheless. I'll put some in my list so I remember about it when I have some money for experiments!

Phineus
Jul 21, 2008

Good to the last drop.

DrBouvenstein posted:

A motley crew of items from Amazon:

Blades for my face. I'm about done my 50-pack of Astras, and while they were ok, I think I'll like these better, if I'm remembering my experience correctly with the variety pack I bought some time back.

Step 1 -- Buy Feathers
Step 2 -- Shave Face
Step 3 -- Throw away all other razors
Step 4 -- Joy

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Accidentally smacked my (full of grounds I was about to throw out...) French press onto the floor of the kitchen and watched it shatter everywhere the other day, checked Amazon this afternoon for a new one, boom.

Almost $3 cheaper than when I bought it last time ~4 years ago.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Accidentally smacked my (full of grounds I was about to throw out...) French press onto the floor of the kitchen and watched it shatter everywhere the other day, checked Amazon this afternoon for a new one, boom.

Almost $3 cheaper than when I bought it last time ~4 years ago.

I hear these make some drat good coffee. I also only like to drink 1 cup of coffee a day, will this do that?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

App13 posted:

I hear these make some drat good coffee. I also only like to drink 1 cup of coffee a day, will this do that?

Buy a smaller one.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
My go to home coffee maker is my Bialetti Mukka express. It's their stovetop espresso maker that's got a special valve that make "cappuccinos" by frothing milk when the pressure gets high enough.

Sadly they don't make it anymore and eventually this thing is going to stop working :/

Steves Asleep
Jun 5, 2005

App13 posted:

If you're going to be making single coffees I can definitely recommend getting an Aeropress. I bought a second one recently that I use at the office.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

App13 posted:

Like the others said, sure, but get a smaller one. I have a 1l mug (Really more of a big beer stein) that holds what this makes plus milk and sugar all at once. I'll resteep it once for a total of 64oz of coffee a day.

I'm sure this revelation explains my posting. :v:

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Phineus posted:

Step 1 -- Buy Feathers
Step 2 -- Shave Face
Step 4 -- Joy

That good eh?

I'll try them next but after a year and a half I'm beginning to think I'll never run out of Astras.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Daimo posted:

That good eh?

I'll try them next but after a year and a half I'm beginning to think I'll never run out of Astras.

They really are. I did not like my Astras, especially after trying Feather blades.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Phineus posted:

Step 1 -- Buy Feathers
Step 2 -- Shave Face
Step 4 -- Joy
I ordered my first safety razor (an Edwin Jagger) and a 50 ct pack of Feathers in the same order from Amazon last week. For some reason they shipped separately and my razor already got here but my Feathers won't arrive for at least a few days. My razor came with a 5 ct pack of blades but I'm waiting until my Feathers get here to shave with it. I've heard they're that good.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They're okay but I don't find them fantastically better than other razors. I generally just buy the ones in the red box, I think they're called crystal or something.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I ordered my first safety razor (an Edwin Jagger) and a 50 ct pack of Feathers in the same order from Amazon last week. For some reason they shipped separately and my razor already got here but my Feathers won't arrive for at least a few days. My razor came with a 5 ct pack of blades but I'm waiting until my Feathers get here to shave with it. I've heard they're that good.

Shave now with the garbage blades so you can appreciate the difference. You'll want to have a little practice too because feathers are unforgiving to a newbie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

SaltLick posted:

Shave now with the garbage blades so you can appreciate the difference. You'll want to have a little practice too because feathers are unforgiving to a newbie
Aw poo poo, alright. Thanks for the heads up. I'm still waiting on my alum block and styptic pencils, though. Those should be coming with the Feathers. I have a feeling I'm gonna cut myself at least once because I've never shaved with that kind of razor before.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

double post

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pro tip: Buy an electric shaver.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerry Cotton posted:

Pro tip: Buy an electric shaver.
I have in the past. They cut me more than disposables do. Although I never owned a really expensive one. Maybe that's what I was doing wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I have in the past. They cut me more than disposables do. Although I never owned a really expensive one. Maybe that's what I was doing wrong.

Dunno about expensive as long as it's a Philips or Braun.

How the heck can they cut anyone?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't remember what brand the one I got as a gift a few years ago was but all it did was pull my facial hair and hurt :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

My Lebanese roommate borrowed my electric shaver and almost wrecked it in one use. They aren't for all hair types.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

My Lebanese roommate borrowed my electric shaver and almost wrecked it in one use. They aren't for all hair types.

She probably should just get electrolysis

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Electrics don't seem to cut coarse hair very well.

(razor left, electric right)

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Everyone with coarse hair is yelling "I loving knew it!" at their computer screen right now. Finally, some evidence.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

Oh they don't cut anything very well but, on the other hand, you magically become a less annoying person when you stop using disposable (or straight) razors.

e: And it's not that they don't cut well, they don't actually cut at all: they just smash their way through the hair. It's the same with regular lawnmowers, which is why they use cylindrical blade mowers on golf courses: rotary blade mowers leave such a large "cutting" surface on the blades of grass (they look p much like the hair on the right there) that the lawn dries out easily.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 04:07 on Mar 4, 2015

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Steves Asleep posted:

If you're going to be making single coffees I can definitely recommend getting an Aeropress. I bought a second one recently that I use at the office.

Seconded! I love my aeropress.

I just bought a 8-Cup Chemex though because I got sick of making making 2 cups when the wife wants coffee too in the morning.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Let's move on to the important stuff.

Front to back, or back to front?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Sportman posted:

Seconded! I love my aeropress.

I just bought a 8-Cup Chemex though because I got sick of making making 2 cups when the wife wants coffee too in the morning.

Is there much of a difference between a Chemex and a basic pour-over? I use one like this -

it's decent when I use good coffee

colas has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Mar 4, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

colas posted:

Is there much of a difference between a Chemex and a basic pour-over? I use one like this -

it's decent when I use good coffee

Pour-overs like Chemex and V60 give you a little more latitude to control the water flow over your coffee for good for bad but no, they both are a nice way to make coffee.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh they don't cut anything very well but, on the other hand, you magically become a less annoying person when you stop using disposable (or straight) razors.

e: And it's not that they don't cut well, they don't actually cut at all: they just smash their way through the hair. It's the same with regular lawnmowers, which is why they use cylindrical blade mowers on golf courses: rotary blade mowers leave such a large "cutting" surface on the blades of grass (they look p much like the hair on the right there) that the lawn dries out easily.

is this one of those life hacks to a better lawn? I had no idea about that

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I wouldn't even know where to buy a cylindrical mower. But in a dry climate, I'm really curious now as to how big a difference it makes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Decided to get an early birthday present for myself and booked 3 nights in a hotel in Sils-Maria (near St. Moritz) to do some hiking around the upper Engadin area of Switzerland in July.

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Don't forget to visit the Nietzsche museum!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

2/3 off for a super big bean bag chair? Yes please. Weird plastic looking lady not included.

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable
New toy for the kitchen,

And gave my old iPad to my folks and went for a smaller one. Much better for reading.

And tickets to the Rugby, Stormers vs Sharks at Newlands.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

How many sous-vide immersion circulators are there in that pic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spamtheman
May 30, 2005

Effer of the ineffable

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

How many sous-vide immersion circulators are there in that pic?

It looks like another 3 in the background, it's not my picture, just a GIS.