Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Strong Convections posted:

Cry me a loving river. They're students, they're allowed to work for 20 hours per week, during session. During breaks in their schooling year they're allowed to work unlimited hours.
If it's such a dick move then lobby to have the law changed. It's not though, and people applying for student visas when they're really intending to work are rorting the system.
Why would you want to support dodgy employers running dodgy businesses? Why support the exploitation? Not only that it keeps those dodgy businesses around to screw over Australia by not paying tax, screwing a potential employee out of superannuation and taking business from businesses that do the right thing.

I'm not supporting the exploitation, I'm just saying that the dodgy businesses should be reported and not the employees being exploited by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Laserface posted:

What the gently caress? do you live in a studio with a 90min commute to civilization?

When I bought my first place in 2009, it was 15 minutes from Perth and I did so on a $55k salary at 80% LVR.
Now it's rented out with the rent covering the mortgage and the other expenses.

So I'm not sure why people are counting things in 20-30 year horizons because that property sure as poo poo doesn't cost a whole lot to hold on to. And 5 years of mortgage payments are already covered by capital gains (it was valued when buying the next place)

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

The only ideologically pure solution is to eschew capitalism and squat in a mansion

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

norp posted:

When I bought my first place in 2009, it was 15 minutes from Perth and I did so on a $55k salary at 80% LVR.
Now it's rented out with the rent covering the mortgage and the other expenses.

So I'm not sure why people are counting things in 20-30 year horizons because that property sure as poo poo doesn't cost a whole lot to hold on to. And 5 years of mortgage payments are already covered by capital gains (it was valued when buying the next place)

Hint: people count things in longer timespans because sometimes not everything works out to plan.

If you're paying off your principal, then you are okay if you lose your income because you can cash out when you can't afford the payments. You are okay if the market downturns because you can live in the house and wait it out. You are not okay if both those things happen at the same time(they are often affected by the same factors) because you have to sell when you can't afford the payments and are now doing so for a loss because of the market going down.

Gough Suppressant fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 4, 2015

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

tomkash posted:

Is it much harder to get a work visa over a student visa? It's pretty horrible, it's not like they are doing it out of malice. They really don't help the already poor regulation of the industry though. I have reported them to the ATO online before (the agency not the workers) but maybe I need to call. I'd have no problem doing it if I knew they were all able to get back paid at least because that would be in the tens of thousands of unpaid wages.

Getting a work visa for 20hrs while on a student visa is not that hard. Getting more hours than that is very hard. I myself got stuck between a rock and a hard place when I had a child to an Australian mother and it led to the loss of my visa. I spent way too many years being illegal not being able to do anything at all about it, short of turning myself in an leaving my daughter. I'm out of that situation now after blowing 26k on legal help and am now waiting on to see if my Ministerial Intervention will be successful.

I can sit back and see how screwed up it is that people are being taken advantage of by underpaying employers. However I am still thankful that I was able to work at all and earn enough money to survive and stay and be around my daughter. I personally would have a hard time reporting anyone because I know how desperate people can get.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

I'm not supporting the exploitation, I'm just saying that the dodgy businesses should be reported and not the employees being exploited by them.

In this case these people are working for agencies (who send them out to work for other businesses), so the two are entwined.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I guess i was talking more in the context of the Sydney / Melbourne housing bubble rather than one of the most geographically isolated cities on the planet

Like if you live in a small american country town recently devastated by the GFC probably your housing prospects are better than someone who is looking for a place not too far from their social/professional epicentre of milsons point

Anyway like whoever said the point is not that there is never a good reason to buy a house but that you should never listen to baby boomers or people telling you to buy a house as though they are magic money making machines and financial skepticism is blasphemy against the great Australian dream

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Strong Convections posted:

In this case these people are working for agencies (who send them out to work for other businesses), so the two are entwined.

I have no idea why you wouldn't just report the agency to the Fair Work Ombudsman or whoever and leave it at that.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
It's when people start talking about buying a first house as an investment that you can write them off as a source of financial advice just like you would write off someone who tells you to borrow multiples of your yearly income to sink into a single hard to move commodity with significant maintenance costs.

_Gumby
Sep 14, 2005
Fun Shoe
While we're on the subject of home loans and whatnot, it probably doesnt help that the banks actively try to push them on you.

I received a call from my bank the other day asking 'We notice you have a lot of money in your offset account. Do you know what negative gearing is? You should spend all of that money on a new investment property!'

I replied that i think its a terrible time to buy an investment property and the lady went offscript and admitted that she and her partner agreed and werent going to buy additional houses, then i think she remembered that she is supposed to sell loans and went back to pushing one on me.

So i guess those in the industry, even the lower level sales, know its not a good time to buy investment properties, but the banks are pushing it on everyone anyway...

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

I have no idea why you wouldn't just report the agency to the Fair Work Ombudsman or whoever and leave it at that.

That's exactly what should be done. Am I meant to pretend that somehow that's not reporting the employees too? Like, the ombudsman comes in and is like, hey guys, straighten up and backpay these people, oh but now that you're going legit and doing the right thing, keep employing these students for hours in breach of their visa?

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Mad Katter posted:

My main concern is that the workers themselves will get into deep poo poo if there is an investigation. Also that they won't be back paid all the money these assholes have made off of their labour. It's not like I can do much anyway seeing as they've been operating for so long and have been getting away with it, I'm only one shitkicker after all. The best case scenario would be the workers getting back paid and then being financially safe enough to choose where to go from there, I don't think that will happen though and these people will end up unemployed or deported and their lives devastated.

Ideally I just need to find out if they can safely have a claim for underpayment so I can get the workers themselves to take them to court or if they find other genuine employment and can then claim underpayment but not get themselves deported by the fact they worked more than 20 hours a week while they were on student visas. I can't even get chefs who are australian citizens to take their employers to fair work for working 10-20 hours unpaid overtime a week though so what hope is there.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It seems odd to me that a lot of people are listing "being tied to one area" as a con for buying as house. Most people, once they have kids, probably want to be in the same area for at least the next 20 years anyway. (And if you never have kids then you'll probably be financially well off enough not to worry about the concerns of housing unaffordability.)

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

_Gumby posted:

So i guess those in the industry, even the lower level sales, know its not a good time to buy investment properties, but the banks are pushing it on everyone anyway...

That's not really true. There are plenty people in the industry still willing to invest and lower level sales staff aren't more likely to be aware than the general public.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

freebooter posted:

It seems odd to me that a lot of people are listing "being tied to one area" as a con for buying as house. Most people, once they have kids, probably want to be in the same area for at least the next 20 years anyway. (And if you never have kids then you'll probably be financially well off enough not to worry about the concerns of housing unaffordability.)

In all my life I've known literally no adults with children who either haven't moved or don't want to move.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

freebooter posted:

Not every one has secure long term work where they live. My parents were both in the Navy and we moved 5 times when i was in school. People in the construction industry are constantly moving to where the work is.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Seagull posted:

In all my life I've known literally no adults

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

tomkash posted:

My main concern is that the workers themselves will get into deep poo poo if there is an investigation. Also that they won't be back paid all the money these assholes have made off of their labour. It's not like I can do much anyway seeing as they've been operating for so long and have been getting away with it, I'm only one shitkicker after all. The best case scenario would be the workers getting back paid and then being financially safe enough to choose where to go from there, I don't think that will happen though and these people will end up unemployed or deported and their lives devastated.

Ideally I just need to find out if they can safely have a claim for underpayment so I can get the workers themselves to take them to court or if they find other genuine employment and can then claim underpayment but not get themselves deported by the fact they worked more than 20 hours a week while they were on student visas. I can't even get chefs who are australian citizens to take their employers to fair work for working 10-20 hours unpaid overtime a week though so what hope is there.

Don't quote me on this, and this is entirely anecdotal, but instances I've heard of where Fair Work has investigated dodgy employers, they're much more interested in making sure that the employers are compliant with the fair work act/relevant award, rather than dobbing workers in to the DIBP.

It certainly couldn't hurt to call the Fair Work Infoline anonymously and have a chat.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

freebooter posted:

Oh the desire to stay in one area might be huge. Whether you can or not depends on whether there are enough employment opportunities for you to survive any local economic changes, such as losing your job.

Staying in one place for 20 years might be an admirable dream, but if you don't base it off hard facts about economic opportunity you're kidding yourself by going out and getting a mortgage.

I mentioned Elizabeth quite deliberately. This part of SA was home to the major car manufacturers for decades, but with successive governments removing the guarantees and subsidies for those manufacturers, the factories close, and the people who bought houses there will gradually see them lower in value to nothing.

Nobody wants to put themselves in that situation deliberately, so if you are considering it, you'd better be drat sure you know what you're in for.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

tomkash posted:

You take it to the ombudsman, not to court.
The students get backpaid (unless the company goes bankrupt) regardless of their being in breach of their visa.
The unemployment would depend on the agency- if they NEED people working more than 20 hours a week then students aren't going to be suitable for them anymore and they could become unemployed.
Deportation is unlikely (but not impossible) since the ombudsman would need to enquire into the status of the employees and then notify the department of immigration who would need to give a poo poo beyond sending a letter saying "knock it off student", and even then the students would need to fail to give a good reason for the extra work.
When the company I worked for had to deal with the ombudsman we had to send through hours worked and amounts paid, nothing about the person's right to work- but that was for an individual complaint rather than a heap of employees so I don't know if that would make a difference.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

quote:

Child protection whistleblowers who alerted the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) to child sexual abuse, violence and self-harm on Nauru are being investigated by the Australian federal police.

Guardian Australia has discovered the AFP has been asked by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to investigate Save the Children staff who anonymously wrote a submission to the commission’s inquiry, outlining cases of sexual and physical abuse of children, and acts of self-harm.

Moving on from Gillian Triggs lets investigate the others kicking up a fuss.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
There's one other thing that hasn't been mentioned about housing, and it's a small one that most people would rather not think about, but most people tend to invest in houses when they are in a stable relationship and both parties can pay off the mortgage together. Love, being a fickle thing, sometimes fades, and said relationships end, creating yet another reason why you might be forced to sell way before you planned to (and possibly during a very weak time in the market). I've had this happen to several mates of mine and they are left holding a share in a property that can't possibly hope to pay off and don't want anymore anyway (because the life you planned to live in it no longer exists).

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Glad to see some ribald discussion from yesterday. Tonight I will follow up with a sequel about what is likely to happen during and after a "bubble bursting".

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Les Affaires posted:

Glad to see some ribald discussion from yesterday. Tonight I will follow up with a sequel about what is likely to happen during and after a "bubble bursting".

We all get rich in the ensuing chaos yeah?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

hiddenmovement posted:

We all get rich in the ensuing chaos yeah?

N...no...

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Les Affaires posted:

ribald
ˈrɪb(ə)ld,ˈrʌɪbɔ
adjective
referring to sexual matters in an amusingly rude or irreverent way.
"a ribald comment"

:stare:

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

SadisTech posted:

ribald
ˈrɪb(ə)ld,ˈrʌɪbɔ
adjective
referring to sexual matters in an amusingly rude or irreverent way.
"a ribald comment"

:stare:

How else would you describe all these "world is hosed" moments

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Zenithe posted:

I have a >5 minute commute to work.

I don't live in a capital city though.

:raise:

Why is it that every anecdotal story that attempts to paint something that is generally traditionally quite challenging (owning your own home) as really easy and straight-forward always tends to omit the vitally specific details which make this instance to be reasonably out of the ordinary in the context of the discussion?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
CLIEV

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

:australia:

truly, he is one of us

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

'What is 'kil u are self'?'

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug

_Gumby posted:

While we're on the subject of home loans and whatnot, it probably doesnt help that the banks actively try to push them on you.

I received a call from my bank the other day asking 'We notice you have a lot of money in your offset account. Do you know what negative gearing is? You should spend all of that money on a new investment property!'

I replied that i think its a terrible time to buy an investment property and the lady went offscript and admitted that she and her partner agreed and werent going to buy additional houses, then i think she remembered that she is supposed to sell loans and went back to pushing one on me.

loving hell, that's such a joke. All four of the big banks are seriously exposed if housing goes south, and they drat well know it. But instead they're out there desperately looking for ways to increase their exposure because stock price trumps financial sanity.

Reminds me of that article from a year ago where a mortgage broker argued that parents should remortgage the family home so that they can gift a deposit to their children for a home loan of their very own. Because the only thing better than selling one mortgage is selling two.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU AUSTRALIAAAAAAA

Police investigate Save the Children whistleblowers over Nauru abuse report
Exclusive: Immigration department asks AFP to investigate submission to Human Rights Commission detailing sexual and physical abuse of children

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/04/police-investigate-save-the-children-whistleblowers-over-nauru-abuse-report

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Tirade posted:

loving hell, that's such a joke. All four of the big banks are seriously exposed if housing goes south, and they drat well know it. But instead they're out there desperately looking for ways to increase their exposure because stock price trumps financial sanity.

Reminds me of that article from a year ago where a mortgage broker argued that parents should remortgage the family home so that they can gift a deposit to their children for a home loan of their very own. Because the only thing better than selling one mortgage is selling two.

It's almost as if capitalism actively devalues future and/or potential and/or shared costs

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
We all agree we are going to vote against the retrospective education [bill]. Why are we going to do it? This report tells us we should, because we are number one in the world. There’s a million students going to tertiary education in this country. There’s a million more that’s about to go, and a million more that’s just left. They’ve all got parents.

So commit suicide Tony Abbott, you know.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Just in case you had forgotten how evil the government is, DIBP has asked the AFP to investigate the whistleblowers that leaked documents to the Australian Human Rights Commission exposing child sexual abuse on Nauru.

http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2015/mar/04/police-investigate-save-the-children-whistleblowers-over-nauru-abuse-report

quote:

Police investigate Save the Children whistleblowers over Nauru abuse report
Exclusive: Immigration department asks AFP to investigate submission to Human Rights Commission detailing sexual and physical abuse of children

Child protection whistleblowers who alerted the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) to child sexual abuse, violence and self-harm on Nauru are being investigated by the Australian federal police.

Guardian Australia has discovered the AFP has been asked by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection to investigate Save the Children staff who anonymously wrote a submission to the commission’s inquiry, outlining cases of sexual and physical abuse of children, and acts of self-harm.

Submission 183 said: “We believe that the children have been subjected to multiple violations of their human rights and wrongdoing from multiple parties.

“Unfortunately, due to confidentiality clauses that have been imposed on us by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection, we are unable to provide our full names and … titles … However, we believe the evidence that will be submitted will validate the statements that we are making in this submission.”

The submission detailed specific allegations – including names and dates – of sexual abuse of child detainees, violence and bullying of children, suicide attempts by children and medical neglect.

Appended to the submission as evidence of its claims were more than 100 working documents from Nauru, including minutes of meetings, incident reports, intelligence notes, and email correspondence.

Submission 183 was made public by the AHRC, but the appended documents were not.

The commission’s inquiry, which attracted more than 200 submissions, has been intensely controversial since its report, The Forgotten Children, was launched in February.

Advertisement

The report is excoriating of both Labor and Coalition administrations for their policies and practice of detaining children.

The commission was refused permission to visit Nauru. It relied on first-hand professional accounts such as submission 183, and testimony from detainees. The commission found: “Children on Nauru are suffering from extreme levels of physical, emotional, psychological and developmental distress.”

Tony Abbott has rejected the report as partisan, and a “transparent stitch-up”.

The AFP confirmed to the commission it was investigating the author or authors of submission 183 over the attached working documents.

Police are investigating a suspected breach of section 70 of the Crimes Act, concerning “disclosure of information by commonwealth officers”. A single disclosure carries a penalty of up to two years in jail.

Guardian Australia sought access to the suppressed documents attached to submission 183 under freedom of information laws, but was refused access. Guardian Australia was told by the AHRC the release of the documents would prejudice a police investigation that was underway.

The AHRC said: “In oral submissions from the Australian federal police they have confirmed there is a current investigation into the unauthorised disclosure of the documents attached to submission 183.”

“The department and the AFP submit, and I accept, that disclosure of the documents would … prejudice the investigation”.

The immigration department told the AHRC the documents’ release would “attract media attention” leading to a “real risk that material witnesses may be discouraged from volunteering information”.

The immigration department confirmed to Guardian Australia the AFP investigation was commenced at its request.

“As the AFP is currently investigating this issue, it would not be appropriate to comment further at this time,” a department spokeswoman said.

A spokesman said Save the Children was aware of the AFP investigation and would cooperate fully with police inquiries.

“The Forgotten Children report confirms Save the Children’s view that prolonged, mandatory detention of children has profound and devastating impacts on their physical and mental wellbeing. Our staff remain firmly focused on doing everything in their power to minimise such harm, to the extent possible in the circumstances,” the spokesman said.

Comment has been sought from the AFP.

According to the AHRC, the attached documents withheld included: Transfield Services incident investigation reports; the identities of confidential intelligence sources within the detention centre, and; “Wilson’s case notes dealing with a number of ongoing issues in relating to bullying, racial tension, allegations of assault by a member of staff, sexual assault harassment and intimated and specific threats to public safety”.

Transfield Services said the public release of documents detailing its operations and conditions on Nauru would reveal personal details of detainees and compromise its ability to keep order.

“We are concerned that the disclosure of such documents may lead to incidents of protest and riots as disclosure of such material may also enable others to use the information to the detriment of the good order of the operations of the regional processing centres,” it said.

The AFP is regularly asked to investigate leaks of information from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection.

Almost every referral made to the AFP by federal government agencies for “unauthorised disclosure of commonwealth information” in the past 18 months has been directly related to journalists reporting on asylum seekers and immigration.

At least eight referrals to the police were on the subject of asylum-seeker stories, over reports in Guardian Australia and the West Australian.

loving hell, this is some sick poo poo. Protest and riot is exactly the correct response to systemic child abuse. What the gently caress is wrong with people.

Protests are to the detriment of the good order of operations in the processing centres, but sexual abuse doesn't seem to bother them at all. God loving drat these people are twisted.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Welp

quote:

Former Knox Grammar headmaster Dr Ian Paterson has admitted he deliberately tried to hinder a police investigation into abuse at the school and that he tried to cover-up allegations against a teacher..

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU AUSTRALIAAAAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
What are the odds of him going to jail for longer than an indigenous teenager who steals his third mars bar from a Darwin corner store

• Locked thread