Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Static Rook posted:

Holy poo poo, this. I took my created Swagsuke from a free officer up to Sun Jian's marshall. No matter what I did, each month we were in the red. Then I realized there were like 30+ people in our employ, so I did some cost cutting. Now I can finally hold a banquet and keep people happy.

Don't forget to Upload your officer so it can annoy other players! You can also download other people's officers and add them to your collection, if you find any that aren't terrible monstrosities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Nemo2342 posted:

Don't forget to Upload your officer so it can annoy other players! You can also download other people's officers and add them to your collection, if you find any that aren't terrible monstrosities.

Hey, I try to. With actual chinese names and everything!

Though some are just the same armor sets because I can be unimaginative at times when I want filler officers for custom kingdoms.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
I think most of my edit officers are swaps for historical persons. I just think beating on a bunch of dudes with the same weapons and generic costumes gets boring after a while :(

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Nemo2342 posted:

Is that what the guest officers are? I had a vagabond unit join me and it was full of hideous green men and people in cat costumes with gibberish symbol names. I guess I'd better turn guest officers off.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Chocobo posted:

Is that what the guest officers are? I had a vagabond unit join me and it was full of hideous green men and people in cat costumes with gibberish symbol names. I guess I'd better turn guest officers off.

There are some real ugly CAWs out there, but then you get lucky and get find the Oliver Queen CAW.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game in a long while, I think the last one was on the DW4 on PS2. I was thinking about getting one of the newer ones to see how far its come after 4 versions. Which one should I get for the most content bang for my buck: Warriors Orochi 3 or Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires? What is the difference between Orochi 3 and Orochi 3: Ultimate? I don't care about story or whatever I have played through the three kingdoms more than enough I just care about how many levels/characters/modes the game comes with and how replayable it is.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Orochi 3 Ultimate is pound for pound the densest game in franchise history when it comes to content. There's over a hundred characters and hundreds of hours worth of content, granted that they don't explain who any of the characters are. Empires really can't stand against O3U in terms of content.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Chachi posted:

I think most of my edit officers are swaps for historical persons. I just think beating on a bunch of dudes with the same weapons and generic costumes gets boring after a while :(

I do wish generics had access to the weapons of "real" officers, if only to spice things up. There are so many god damned generics in this game--making edit officers for everyone would be madness unless you printed out a list of names, hit Random on the edit screen and just did that over a hundred times.

I'm told that if you replace a generic who has spoken lines like Hua Xiong (sp?) from Hu Lao Gate, then the event they take part in and need spoken lines for can't play, so that's a minor concern as well if you're trying to unlock those for free mode.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 3, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Policenaut posted:

Orochi 3 Ultimate is pound for pound the densest game in franchise history when it comes to content. There's over a hundred characters and hundreds of hours worth of content, granted that they don't explain who any of the characters are. Empires really can't stand against O3U in terms of content.

Plus its structure is so FUN. Every new major mission you complete, you get at least one new guy to play with. "Gotta catch 'em all!"

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Rutibex posted:

I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game in a long while, I think the last one was on the DW4 on PS2. I was thinking about getting one of the newer ones to see how far its come after 4 versions. Which one should I get for the most content bang for my buck: Warriors Orochi 3 or Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires? What is the difference between Orochi 3 and Orochi 3: Ultimate? I don't care about story or whatever I have played through the three kingdoms more than enough I just care about how many levels/characters/modes the game comes with and how replayable it is.

Just to echo everyone else, Orochi 3 Ultimate is what you want. It is Orochi 3 but with several new characters and updates to game mechanics.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
So, there is no way to edit the 'Way of Life' choice to adjust how AI acts in free mode?

Even with historical swaps , they have Ordinary Man AI. KOEI done hosed up if they expect you to clear a campaign for each edit.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

NameHurtBrain posted:

KOEI done hosed up if they expect you to clear a campaign for each edit.

If the manual is to be believed, that is exactly what they expect.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It feels a bit weird to play WO3 after playing DW8, since the base engine or whatever is older and feels a bit clunky.

Same with going from SW4 to DW8:E, since the SW4 engine to me feels a bit more polished.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

NameHurtBrain posted:

So, there is no way to edit the 'Way of Life' choice to adjust how AI acts in free mode?

Even with historical swaps , they have Ordinary Man AI. KOEI done hosed up if they expect you to clear a campaign for each edit.

Wanna guess what was added in a patch we don't have?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Do any of the patches adjust the difficulty of Hard? I've found hard is too easy while chaos just doesn't look fun to play at all.

About all I can think of doing is handicapping myself by not using items or good weapons.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

lurksion posted:

Is anyone else completely stagger immune in 8 Empires? I know the tutorial popup says if you have more defensive bases you get more resistance (with X? having immunity), but I'm seemingly immune all the time.

Lotish posted:

I've definitely been staggered, though one of the first things I got was the armor to reduce stagger from arrows.
I did some testing in Free Mode on this stagger/flinching/being interrupted. Level difference and difficulty seems to the variables that affect this.

Hard, Me 55, Enemy 55
Nothing flinches me, regular peons, officer attack strings, officer charge attacks, mosous, nothing. The only thing that actually moves your character are knockup charge attacks/mosous or grabs.

Hard, Me 55, Enemy 55
Most officer attack strings still do not cause flinches, but some do (???). Seems all charge attacks and mosous now cause flinches.

Hard, Me 1, Enemy 99
Didn't live long, but seems all officer attacks cause flinches.

Easy, Me 1, Enemy 99
Nothing flinches, need grab moves or knockups again.

Chaos, Me 55, Enemy 55
Didn't live long, but seems all officer attacks cause flinches.

This is an rear end-tarded implementation of...I don't even know what they're going for. But it makes the game way too easy on anything not Chaos. And even on Chaos, it's not exactly fun, since as traditional in these games, you go all offensive or go home.

TLDR: On any non-Chaos difficulty, you will not get flinched/staggered unless the enemy considerably out-levels you. Koei is retarded.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 3, 2015

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...What character/moveset are you? I remember something about at least one weapon granting immunity.

I say this mostly because I've not encountered any 'no flinch', and I'm on Normal.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Largepotato posted:

Do any of the patches adjust the difficulty of Hard? I've found hard is too easy while chaos just doesn't look fun to play at all.

About all I can think of doing is handicapping myself by not using items or good weapons.

Normal was also super easy, especially with a 2-star weapon I got from a quest (which worked well until I had about 2/3 of China under my thumb). I haven't minded too much though; this was supposed to be my learning run before going up to higher difficulties.

I'll definitely be unlocking some weapons for my next playthrough though; it didn't see, like the AI built any blacksmiths on their own, so I had to give up 6 months building them once I took over in order to get a strong enough weapon.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Bloodly posted:

...What character/moveset are you? I remember something about at least one weapon granting immunity.

I say this mostly because I've not encountered any 'no flinch', and I'm on Normal.
I did those tests with a CAW with Guan Yu's. Also tried out some other characters randomly, but don't remember on which.

EDIT: Just repeated a Hard 55/55 with Xiaoqiao. Just stood in front of Dong Zhuo and ate his normal attacks as a statue (excepting his grab mosou that he killed me with).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 3, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
From the PS Store thread:

Yechezkel posted:

Bladestorm: Nighmare demos:
PS4 demo 5.2 GB
PS3 demo 2 GB

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

grrarg posted:

From the PS Store thread:

IGN's description posted:

Players can chose to experience a realistic depiction of this period through the game's normal mode or choose to explore a fictitious original narrative in 'Nightmare' mode. In 'Nightmare' mode, the war between England and France wages on as a mysterious horde of outlandish creatures appear to be led by a form of Joan of Arc, who has turned evil.

:allears:

I guess I'm glad that bladestorm is getting some attention; it was a cool idea that I'd like to have seen done better, but it sounds like this is just going to be a prettied-up remake and also dragons (if you want them).

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

'A' form. Joy. Multi-stage Joan of Arc boss fight in a Dynasty Warriors engine.

...I can't wait.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I have piles of unplayed and unfinished games for both my PC and PS4, and what have I been playing for the past 3 months? Koei games. I'm just getting started with 8E and now I'm really looking forward to Bladestorm. WTF? This makes me feel like poo poo.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
If I wanted a PS4 Warriorsy game, would I be better off buying Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, or waiting for that Bladestorm remake? I've only played DW8:XLUltimate Steam Edition and also Hyrule Warriors, and I know Bladestorm is a little different, but I like the sound of a ridiculous England vs France war...

Also I would only be somewhat familiar with like a third of the characters in WO3 so

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you already played 8 XL, then Bladestorm would probably be better because of the different game play. Orochi is gameplay wise 8 XL with more characters.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Happy Hedonist posted:

I have piles of unplayed and unfinished games for both my PC and PS4, and what have I been playing for the past 3 months? Koei games. I'm just getting started with 8E and now I'm really looking forward to Bladestorm. WTF? This makes me feel like poo poo.

Congrats for basically being me. Let's watch I, Frankenstein instead of getting around to Chinatown!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

HJE-Cobra posted:

If I wanted a PS4 Warriorsy game, would I be better off buying Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate, or waiting for that Bladestorm remake? I've only played DW8:XLUltimate Steam Edition and also Hyrule Warriors, and I know Bladestorm is a little different, but I like the sound of a ridiculous England vs France war...

Also I would only be somewhat familiar with like a third of the characters in WO3 so

why not samurai warriors?

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Davincie posted:

why not samurai warriors?

I dunno, I figured Samurai Warriors would be even more like Dynasty Warriors except in Japan instead of China. I figured WO3 would be crazynuts everybody with a wacky plot, or Bladestorm would be somewhat different gameplay with also a secondary wacky plot, but didn't really think to get Samurai Warriors.

Is it good too? I think I only briefly played a Samurai Warriors on Wii or something at a friend's house, once, a few years back.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
Bladestorm is more a weird strategy game where you control a unit rather than one dude against thousands. Consider getting WO3: Ultimate if you want literally hundreds of hours of gameplay, or SW4 maybe as it's pretty polished.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

sw4 is similar of course since its still a main line warriors game, but it is imo the most polished warriors game in gameplay and graphics and an entirely new cast plus several gameplay mechanics (hyper attacks alone are fantastic and chronicle mode with its thin veneer of rpg gameplay adds tens of hours) make it feel pretty fresh. i did take a several month break between it and dw8 though

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I posted this in the PS3 gameshare thread. Reply there if interested. I like what I'm hearing about SW4.

GANDHITRON posted:

Anyone wanna split Samurai Warriors 4? I think it's fifty bucks. I can buy. Please respond in this thread and also PM me if possible.

If you don't know what gamesharing is, you can basically split the cost of most PS3 games available through PSN with someone else. The OP in that thread is a bit outdated, so feel free to ask me for more details.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
One of the Rulers in the Yellow Turban 8:E campaign.

:stare:

The screenshot doesn't really do him justice though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jesus, what version of the game is that from? Those are some loving PS2 textures right there.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus, what version of the game is that from? Those are some loving PS2 textures right there.

PC medium detail

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Pc, because I've seen those eyes myself. The textures...I can presume are from normal soldier parts, which were about as bad in DW8Complete itself.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good to see Bladestorm is still using the awful dub from the original game.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sakurazuka posted:

Good to see Bladestorm is still using the awful dub from the original game.

gently caress yes

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

How bad is bad?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Forsooth, witherest did thou come?

Everyone talks like the guy from the first Two Worlds game only with a bad French accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bloodly posted:

Pc, because I've seen those eyes myself. The textures...I can presume are from normal soldier parts, which were about as bad in DW8Complete itself.

In all fairness though, I'm having a really hard time getting the eyes on my created character to look decent.