Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

a kitten posted:

but it's so very very boring
what's boring is people getting into a righteous circlejerk every time wickedhate says anything at all

she could say 'legend of the galactic heroes is good' and fifteen people would go WOAH THERE

like of all the incredibly dumb poo poo wickedhate has done and said, why do you care that she thinks KyoAni masterpiece Beyond the Boundary is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i know wickedhate has turned into the whipping boy of the subforum but kyoukai no kanata isnt any worse than 90% of the stuff people love on adtrw

While I agree that wickedhate hate is boring, I'm really curious as to what ADTRW staples are worse than Beyond The Boundary.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Endorph posted:

what's boring is people getting into a righteous circlejerk every time wickedhate says anything at all

yea, it's boring being right all the time, people should switch it up and agree with wickedhate every once in a while

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

While I agree that wickedhate hate is boring, I'm really curious as to what ADTRW staples are worse than Beyond The Boundary.

legend of the galatic heroes :twisted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

aldnoah zero has a like 2000 post thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also people recommend g gundam a ton and beyond the boundary might have pacing problems but at least it's over quickly

i *like* g gundam but objectively there are about 40 episodes of Domon wanders around, meets a dude, punches him, and maybe 10 episodes of the actual plot happening

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

negima unironically

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

there are about 40 episodes of Domon wanders around, meets a dude, punches him

Man I would watch like hundreds of those

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

i know wickedhate has turned into the whipping boy of the subforum but kyoukai no kanata isnt any worse than 90% of the stuff people love on adtrw

Kyoukai no Kanata is a lovely show, and saying its no worse than other lovely shows goons ironically love is not a compliment. I don't know if it's the same poster because I never pay too much attention to usernames, but someone always cheerleads this show and I'll be damned if someone watches this piece of poo poo because of it. It was so aggressively awful that it's one of the few bad shows I'll speak up against. Rather than just ignore that it exists.

KnK is a bad show. I sat through half of it and I can't imagine why people would recommend that garbage when at least 50% of anime is better than it. It has no likeable characters. They try to only give the characters any sort of resemblance of character just by stupid giving them an idiotic trait to run into the ground that came out of a poll of worst generic traits. "OH BOY. I HAVE SUCH A HARD ON FOR GLASSES." Let's run this poo poo into the ground! It's funny and says our character is a pervert. Now let's transplant all of this unfunny comedy poo poo into the most boring story ever, but making sure that while it looks nicely animated, the fights themselves are still boring as poo poo because it's wrapped around conflicts you have no interest in because the characters have about as much depth as towlie from South Park. If you want action shows, there is way, way better out there before someone should watch KnK.

I don't know why I dislike KnK so much even though there's lots of lovely anime out there. Maybe it's the thought that KyoAni worked so hard to make a show that bad and that their effort tricked me into spending more time than I should have with it. That would probably be it.

Edit: from your later posts, you seem to think I'm just making GBS threads on Wickedhate because it's Wickedhate. I assure you that is not the case and it's more because I think that the recommendation was a completely terrible one to recommend. It completely struck me as a "please watch this thing I enjoyed even though it pretty much has nothing in common with what you asked for" recommendation which I've seen on other forums and hate when people do that. The follow up recommendation was good and I had no objection there obviously.

The Black Stones fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 4, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd take a too slow show with a spark of inspiration over something that's "over quickly"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like G Gundam too, but it does have way too many Gundam Fighter of the Week episodes. It can be a drag sometimes, but the show overall is still amazing. If I didn't grow up on it as a kid, I'd probably only like it slightly less.

The Black Stones posted:

KnK is a bad show. I sat through half of it and I can't imagine why people would recommend that garbage when at least 50% of anime is better than it. It has no likeable characters.

Man, I still just don't get this complaint and goons tend to say it a lot. They were plenty likeable and memorable.

Also, how is a glasses thing considered perverted? It's a fixation, but very tame.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 4, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And I think most people realize that G Gundam or aldnoah are kind of bad because they rarely come up among in this thread, or really any place where people aren't talking about giant robots.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh god i swear if ive just started another 'i like these characters' 'well i don't' 'well i do' 'well i don't' argument im going to loving shoot myself

The Devil Tesla posted:

I'd take a too slow show with a spark of inspiration over something that's "over quickly"
well i mean what spark of inspiration does G Gundam have? Domon punches dude until the plot happens, which he resolves by punching more dudes. Then he learns that to be a true hero, he has to punch dudes *together* with the people he loves.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

oh god i swear if ive just started another 'i like these characters' 'well i don't' 'well i do' 'well i don't' argument im going to loving shoot myself

Apologies. Sometimes it just feels like I watched a completely different show then whatever Kyokai no Kanata goons watched.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

well i mean what spark of inspiration does G Gundam have? Domon punches dude until the plot happens, which he resolves by punching more dudes. Then he learns that to be a true hero, he has to punch dudes *together* with the people he loves.

It was super loving stylish about it, and mixed all this campy stuff in a world that still felt "gundam-y", like with the whole two class outer space and earthling thing. I mean it's still just a kids show but it's not entirely nostalgia that stuck it in people's minds.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

WickedHate posted:

Also, how is a glasses thing considered perverted? It's a fixation, but very tame.

The show made it quite clear, quite repeatedly, that he had a fetish for glasses. It was also pretty clearly sexual. It may be tame, but it's stupid as gently caress and terrible when it's your defining character trait.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yo black stones you're not going to get through to WickedHate and everyone else already agrees so can it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Apologies. Sometimes it just feels like I watched a completely different show then whatever Kyokai no Kanata goons watched.
i wasnt really blaming you or black stones but i feel like every time this comes up it's just

'I liked this this and this' 'I hate this this and this'

there's no real room for debate because nobody is really trying to objectively talk about the qualities of the show and nobody is really willing to listen because the other person is wrong about anime so its just two people posting at each other until one of them gives up. also goons have this weird need to beat people down for liking shows they consider bad. like i thought kyoukai no kanata was pretty poo poo but if you liked it, great, im really glad you did. i like loving sword art online, i cant throw stones. nobody on this subforum can throw stones

The Devil Tesla posted:

It was super loving stylish about it, and mixed all this campy stuff in a world that still felt "gundam-y", like with the whole two class outer space and earthling thing. I mean it's still just a kids show but it's not entirely nostalgia that stuck it in people's minds.
yeah true. g gundam had a pretty neat aesthetic and i liked the inversion of the usual gundam tropes - a lot of gundam is about the beauty and future of space but in g gundam space was presented as a place for hosed up weirdos and the earth was something that needed to be protected and preserved. its neat. but in terms of the way the plot progresses, everything honestly feels really phoned in.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endorph posted:

like i thought kyoukai no kanata was pretty poo poo but if you liked it, great, im really glad you did. i like loving sword art online, i cant throw stones.
Aw, thank y-

Endorph posted:

i like loving sword art online, i cant throw stones.

We can't be friends. :mad: I've never actually watched SAO.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

G Gundam's a tough recommendation these days when most shows now have a runtime of merely a dozen episodes.

That's why I like recommending Giant Robo first and if they like it, list all the other Imagawa shows as a followup if they want stuff in a similar vein.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

i like loving sword art online, i cant throw stones. nobody on this subforum can throw stones

I can throw stones. All the anime I love owns.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

You say that, but then next you'll be claiming you love Kujibiki Unbalance.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Devil Tesla posted:

same

*stuffs akame ga kill body pillow into the closet*

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Black Stones posted:

You say that, but then next you'll be claiming you love Kujibiki Unbalance.

Hasn't been the same since half the cast graduated :(

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Endorph posted:

There's nothing wrong with someone liking a bad thing and I have no problem with wickedhate personally; like you said I think it's cool that people can enjoy things I don't. However, I feel like when someone is asking for recommendations it's perfectly reasonable to share your opinion if you think a bad show is being recommended. If ManOfTheYear decides to watch KnK and ends up enjoying it rad, but I think it's fair that he hears both opinions on a show that seems to be somewhat divisive before making that decision.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'i don't think KnK was very good for xyz reasons' is cool

telling them not to recommend it and being very aggressive for no real reason is not cool

im not trying to backseat mod here but people are very mean about anime on this subforum for some reason.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
It is me, the anime dictator, here to punish you for your wrong anime opinions.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

goons ... hate things ... and are mean about it?!?! :monocle:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

being chill and fun about things is more enjoyable than being a bitter cynic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i made that realization 3 years ago and my life has improved drastically in every possible way

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

It is me, the anime dictator, here to punish you for your wrong anime opinions.

When are you going to punish everyone that watches Kantai Collection?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Endorph posted:

being chill and fun about things is more enjoyable than being a bitter cynic

I was literally typing in rage when I told someone not to recommend something because it didn't match what the person was looking for at all, and I thought the show was awful. Sorry I used aggressive words to state the show is super bad. It is. I will not put it on the level of Musahi Gundoh. That was wrong of me.

I don't love all the anime. I'm sorry. I'll hand in my anime nerd card. Please also accept my complete collection of UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie on DVD. It will finally have a good home.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can anyone recommend an anime to get this thread back on track

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Karas

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I recommend The Little Prince and the Eight-Headed Dragon, it's a rad old anime about Susanoo searching for his dead mom and also killing dragons and generally wrecking poo poo.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
For something chill, Sketchbook

coathat
May 21, 2007

Everybody watch this OVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdoXROH5OUE

It's about rolling a ball.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Endorph posted:

can anyone recommend an anime to get this thread back on track

Chi's Sweet Home. It is about a cat.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'm watching Psycho Pass and Gargantia, both are pretty entertaining shows. I've learned to follow the philosophy to just find something to enjoy in a show, anything at all. I made it through Gundam AGE through liking the music and 95% of the mecha design. Also the beepy noise the space dragons make when their cockpits turn on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I got through it because I made someone who tried really hard on 4chan to defend it watch it with me. Also he made a fake translation of designer notes for the character designs and we kept laughing about that and how people legitimately believed the Magician's 8 were based on hollywood jews/demons

• Locked thread