Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

a lot of this stuff is just a matter of taste, anyway. blitzball is really goddamn stupid but i never cared, and i pressed the stupid buttons to pass the ball around for countless while the blue bears and gogglepeople stared dully back at the screen. plus i'm slowly playing through dragon quest 3 right now so who am i to criticize your favorite final fantasy. it is not mine, but claiming it is good while the others are garbage is quite wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i will concede FF8 had a way better airship than 9 did. psychic town destroying blimp is cool and all, but crazy red spaceship full of gator aliens is the epitome of a Sweet Ride

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ranking the numeric final fantasys is only a secondary concern as the series best is obviously tactics

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Excels posted:

i will concede FF8 had a way better airship than 9 did. psychic town destroying blimp is cool and all, but crazy red spaceship full of gator aliens is the epitome of a Sweet Ride

ff8 also lets you screw around pretty early in the game, because you basically only need 3-4 GFs, a few abilities, and to play some cards to start doing poo poo like junctioning death to Stat atk-J or something broken to str-J, so that you can more or less literally go through the whole game without summoning and watching the summoning animations.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm plowing through my NES library, I've beaten around 5 games today. There's a ton of bullshit awful games that I seem to have gotten.

However they require next to no time investment, I beat that terrible NES peter pan game in like a halfhour.

God damnit Taint Reaper we're talking about Final Fantasy right now!!! GOD!!!!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hog Inspector posted:

ranking the numeric final fantasys is only a secondary concern as the series best is obviously tactics

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

that guy is in tactics advance 2

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

gay skull posted:

God damnit Taint Reaper we're talking about Final Fantasy right now!!! GOD!!!!

I'm sorry I just really don't care to distinguish between different kinds of terrible games.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
i prefer dragon quest

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

I'm sorry I just really don't care to distinguish between different kinds of terrible games.

*goes back to playing self-admitted garbage NES cartridges, and comparing them in this thread*

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

which dragon quests are good. i never really played them beyond the first

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Hog Inspector posted:

all of them

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

why in the ever loving gently caress is he wearing high heels for boots. this is the worst thing i have seen, even for video games and anime. who designed this?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Hog Inspector posted:

People are probably about to tell you a lot of answers that aren't Rocket Slime, but the answer is Rocket Slime.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

How Rude posted:

why in the ever loving gently caress is he wearing high heels for boots. this is the worst thing i have seen, even for video games and anime. who designed this?

judging by the belts it was probably nomura

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Hog Inspector posted:

i'm playing the remake of 3 right now, which is way better than the original. i only played the first four, of those, i think 3 is the best, followed by 1, then 2, then 4.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I'm so desensitized to Final Fantasy clothing that I don't even notice anything out of the ordinary about that outfit really

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

How Rude posted:

metacritic says Ryoma Ito, who was also the char designer in heroes of mana

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

were any of the mana games any good after secret of mana? that's one of my favorite snes games but i think it's only because of the 2P functionality

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Hog Inspector posted:

Ehhhhhhh

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

were any of the mana games any good after secret of mana? that's one of my favorite snes games but i think it's only because of the 2P functionality

legend of mana is the best, and in fact only good, mana game

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Heavy Lobster posted:

legend of mana is the best, and in fact only good, mana game

can you play it with a friend?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

can you play it with a friend?

yes, and your friend can be a monster, a golem, one of the companions, or their own character.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Seiken Densetsu 3 got a fan translation ages ago, and has even better 2p functionality -- all the characters can be upgraded, and they remain useful so your friend won't get stuck as the guy watching you use the mana sword on the final boss a hundred times.

otherwise, no. they're mostly bad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

maybe i will try to find a copy that my brother and i can play, so that when i die and the SoM ice country music plays in the letter that i leave him, he will have yet another memory.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!
I have a question regarding Hideo Kojima, and this seemed like the best place to ask:

I've heard in interviews that Kojima has been trying to distance himself from Metal Gear and do other things, but Konami keeps putting him back on. What's the likelyhood that he follows Inafune and starts his own project, either through private funding or Kickstarter?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Trochanter posted:

I have a question regarding Hideo Kojima, and this seemed like the best place to ask:

I've heard in interviews that Kojima has been trying to distance himself from Metal Gear and do other things, but Konami keeps putting him back on. What's the likelyhood that he follows Inafune and starts his own project, either through private funding or Kickstarter?

he has gone on record saying MGSV is the last MGS game "in his eyes", regardless of whether the series continues with or without him

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

hes also gone on record saying that snake's rear end is superior to raiden's rear end

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Bicyclops posted:

*goes back to playing self-admitted garbage NES cartridges, and comparing them in this thread*

No I'm sorry Manhattan Project is not a garbage NES game.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Did anyone happen to watch the nvidia presentation that was on earlier tonight. It was definitely better than the xbone premiere.

Trochanter
Sep 14, 2007

It ain't no sin
to take off your skin, And dance around in your bones!

Excels posted:

he has gone on record saying MGSV is the last MGS game "in his eyes", regardless of whether the series continues with or without him

That doesn't mean Konami is going to fund Snatcher 2 though. Kickstarter might.

corn in the bible posted:

hes also gone on record saying that snake's rear end is superior to raiden's rear end

Sneaking thighs > child-bearing hips

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Kojima already said that he's going to make tokimeki memorial be the next game.

Because after war, the children are the future. So the players must now play as children and learn how to love, learn how to hate, and learn how to fight. And how to never give up.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Hasn't Kojima said it's his final Metal Gear game since MGS1 until Konami asks him to get involved again because whoever took over the franchise is incompetent? I get the impression that, especially with MGS2 and MGS4, he's really frustrated and incorporates it into the story knowing that it's going to piss off fans by switching the protagonist in MGS2 and making Snake old and frail in MGS4.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Bombshell looking great

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

i will admit that the slog to get to the point where you're actually making choices, doing sidequests and screwing with everyone's stats, instead of watching a long movie and pressing X over and over again is similar in 9 and 10, but i can stomach 10, even with the bad direction they gave the voice actors, and 9 is just dull and off-putting.

10 lost me in like a half-hour. At least 9 has the sugar coating of being a love letter to FF1 and FF4 to sugarcoat the unfun mechanics and boring plot. 10 is just loving atrocious from moment one.

Like I get that it's hard to argue which FF is the best because they basically changed genres every few games and are hard to compare but I really think FF9 and 10 are a lot closer to FF13 than it is to FF6 as an experience.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 4, 2015

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

im going to get a bit wordy just because I really like 10 and I think it gets maligned pretty hard...

I think 10 was pretty swell! It starts off a little rough but i think people are a bit unfair to Tidus... the music and art design is really stellar, I enjoyed the battle system and even blitzball, and I thought the turn when it's revealed that the entire journey has been meant to end with Yuna as a sacrifice to appease Sin for ten years or whatever of peace, was really well done and is effective at casting the first part of the game in a different light. It makes all of Yuna's experiences really bittersweet, and I thought ~the kiss~ was a decent stab at making like, a real romance plot between characters that seemed sort of desperate and sincere, rather than just like, Squall and Rinoa being shoved next to eachother because he was the main character and she was the female lead.

the game also works a lot better if you view Yuna as the main character and Tidus as just a player perspective character, especially with the realization that Tidus isn't even a real person', which was another turn I thought was actually really cool.

I dunno, I thought 10 did a lot of interesting things and really was a huge step up storywise from previous installments, stop hating....

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I tried playing 10 last year I stopped an hour in when I realised I'd already screwed myself out of Anima without any prompts, that game is just a layer upon layer of systemic bullshit.

9 is amazingly good though. I could understand if you're put off by the battle system but it's probably the most fun I've had playing though the plot of a FF game.

Lurdiak posted:

Like I get that it's hard to argue which FF is the best because they basically changed genres every few games and are hard to compare but I really think FF9 and 10 are a lot closer to FF13 than it is to FF6 as an experience.

Yeah this is kinda true, the high point for 9 imo was disc 2 which is almost entirely heavily scripted, linear sequences. I guess the difference is 9 actually had well written characters and a good scenario and I was invested in what was going on rather than bored and confused

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Worst parts about 9 was the battle music, the card game and trance. Otherwise it's pretty good.

I liked 10's battle system going back to turns and being able to manipulate them. The sphere grid can gently caress off though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Most of 9, 10, 10-2, and 12's problems come from really bullshit side content. 9 isn't as bad as the others for this just because there's not as much side content, but it still has issues like the Friendly Monsters quest. But getting the ultimate weapons and summons in 10, basically everything in 10-2 (especially dresspheres and hidden items), and things like the Zodiac Spear, Tournesol, and a lot of end-game content (that goddamn crystal maze to fight Ultima, a ton of secret enemies like the Hell Wyrm) in 12 are all nonsense. The games fall apart as soon as you have to use a guide to find things, or even know they exist.

I assume 13 had similar issues, but I never got far enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

Most of 9, 10, 10-2, and 12's problems come from really bullshit side content. 9 isn't as bad as the others for this just because there's not as much side content, but it still has issues like the Friendly Monsters quest.

The friendly monsters quest was dumb and never made sense why it allowed you to attack Ozma.
You could only possibly do the friendly monsters quest without a guide if you were lucky enough to wander around the very tiny area around Dali for a mu fight.

• Locked thread