Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah, this particular project has cut down the questions and any non-interview to the point that questions don't make sense or are even cut out entirely, and it is basically non-stop typing 100% of the time. Wouldn't be so bad if the speaking style wasn't a complete verbatim nightmare...

Edit: While I can understand DT's need to have some flexibility in the quality of assignments that contractors accept (they need to get better about setting realistic rates, don't get me wrong), it's poo poo like this that really makes me want to boycott this project. It's at best an ignorant practice on the producer's part, if not straight-up disrespectful.

Mr. Pizza fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I am just so glad that when DT asked me what kinds of projects I'd be interested in my answer was that since I've worked with food (pizza boy), I'd prefer food related shows, and by god that's what I get over a lot of other stuff.

You can also try requesting to be excluded from a given project or client in the future, but DT will likely forget about that. I did that with Ink Master once and got a glorious two weeks without a 90 minute Ink Master file being poo poo out on my face.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I once had a project with the questions edited out to save time. I thought it was really stupid and cheap, but the interviewee was long winded, and it wasn't the worst project in the world. I got several more assignments for the same project later, and luckily they cut that poo poo out after the first one.

I once asked Sally to not send me anything from a specific project anymore. Her response was kinda ironic considering the recent change, but she was basically like 'lol, I have too many transcribers to keep track of that, just turn down anything I send you for that client'. The following week she did, and I did.

Edit: Random question because the DT Crew is not around. What do you do when two people have the same name in a dialogue file?

counterfeitsaint fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Feb 27, 2015

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

If you've got last names, "Bob A." and "Bob B." usually works. Failing that, "Bob 1" and "Bob 2." You definitely want to differentiate between them in some way, but the specifics probably won't matter much.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I wonder if you would get in trouble for making them Good Bob and Evil Bob.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
lol, as soon as Sally takes the first break from work in a year, I get both assigned a $1/min project AND get double-booked for 2x my minutes. How about that.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.
And I just got a show with the same "you will transcribe everything, comrade" deal as Ink Master.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Spartan421 posted:

And I just got a show with the same "you will transcribe everything, comrade" deal as Ink Master.

Oh! If it's the arctic thing, take it. There's not a lot there you would class as non-interview anyway and quite frankly those weirdos are hilarious!

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Haha yeah it doesn't look too bad really. I don't even mind doing Ink Master most of the time. Also Heather is going all out issuing work. drat. Pretty sure I'm 2x over my requested minutes by now.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Haha. Sounds like they need to up their capacity and hire a few more people. Gotta play by Price Is Right rules, baby :cool:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Dang it I finally got an... 85 cent file.

It's a microphone next to the air conditioner in the back of a noisy 6th grade classroom. Doodling with it in Audition can't even get rid of the noise.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Teacher recordings are a whole other level of awful.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Haha they want that classroom file 100% verbatim too. Use name of student if possible? Get real.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Oh! If it's the arctic thing, take it. There's not a lot there you would class as non-interview anyway and quite frankly those weirdos are hilarious!

Yeah, that one's not too bad. Especially since they're outside in cold rear end temps they don't really sit around gabbing for half an hour making you transcribe it, instead you watch a dude talk about how the world is fundamentally a lonely place while making stew using salmon for his dogs.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Spartan421 posted:

Haha they want that classroom file 100% verbatim too. Use name of student if possible? Get real.

Oh god that poo poo is back? So glad I'm taking the weekend off DT.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Oh god that poo poo is back? So glad I'm taking the weekend off DT.

Yeah ya are :stare:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
And the best thing is you can't even reject it without risking setting off someone's landmine and then you don't work for a couple weeks.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I thought about it but yep, two files can't reject.

I haven't done full verbatim like this yet. Do I need to indicate every goddamn noise in the conversation?

Do sentences need to ...

be interrupted by little fucks...

and finished as separate dialogue?

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

thylacine posted:

I haven't done full verbatim like this yet. Do I need to indicate every goddamn noise in the conversation?

Do sentences need to ...

If it's the one I'm thinking of double check the special instructions because I think it indicates only worrying about the main child speaking at any point. When in doubt, ask Lauren.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

So SDI Media is hiring transcribers, but they're not being terribly upfront with info. Their ad mentions a "proprietary software" for transcription and it simply says "USD per minute"; when I asked them for more specifics I got the canned "thanks for applying" email with the test attached. If I can find out more about these guys I'll pass it along.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

So SDI Media is hiring transcribers, but they're not being terribly upfront with info. Their ad mentions a "proprietary software" for transcription and it simply says "USD per minute"; when I asked them for more specifics I got the canned "thanks for applying" email with the test attached. If I can find out more about these guys I'll pass it along.

Ah, I believe they own freetranslation.com. They've been around a while, since the mid 00's at least. I think they were also trying to develop open-source CAT tools as well.

e; cross that--SDL owns freetranslation.com. SDI is one of my company's major competitors :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

SDI is one of my company's major competitors :v:

Please begin a bidding war to hire us, TIA.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

So far I haven't even been able to get SDI to quote me a rate, which suggests it's going to be pretty bad. :)

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Kaz sh!

Let the bidding start at $2 a minute plus hand massages.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

thylacine posted:

Do sentences need to ...

As a serious answer to you since I've been there a lot: yes. Break it the instant the word someone is speaking finishes and the new guy starts. Yes it's dumb as hell and yes it will make the file long as hell and yes it will loving suck but I've had them send me files back demanding I go through and fix it before, long files, not fun files. QC told me that unless one side is paraphrase, you split when they're talking over each other.

JKL, you know how working for you there's that thing where it's preferred that you finish someone's sentence then go on to the next? Well DT will chew your rear end off for that which is why I was having trouble with some of the faster-paced shows.

E: Dudes more experienced with Dragon, in particular v. 13: is there a way to make it automatically Capitalize a word if it comes after an :, an ], or an "? The lost second to fix that every time or work around it on DT files just drains me of the will to live when I've got assholes literally cutting each other off constantly.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 28, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
If someone interrupts yeah, but when two people are taking at once, I will just put one sentence and then the other, and give them the same time in their timecodes, assuming they actually start at the same time. I haven't gotten anything kicked back for that yet. The thing I hate the most is when one person is talking, and the other one is going 'yeah, mm-hm' ever few seconds. That has gotten stuff kicked back to me before.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

E: Dudes more experienced with Dragon, in particular v. 13: is there a way to make it automatically Capitalize a word if it comes after an :, an ], or an "? The lost second to fix that every time or work around it on DT files just drains me of the will to live when I've got assholes literally cutting each other off constantly.

I just say "cap" before the first word to capitalize anything.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

St. John Coltrane posted:

I just say "cap" before the first word to capitalize anything.

Thanks.

Also, gently caress DT's phone call jobs, for serious. I have never heard a more stuttery bunch of fucks on bad phones in my life. Make this poo poo clean verbatim, you assholes, surely you don't need all those ums, uhs, and t-t-t-t-t-t-tha-that-that-that right there ever 10 seconds.

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy

Shima Honnou posted:

Go into your vocab editor, find the colon or bracket you want to alter, click on properties or whatever button is there, and you will get options for how many spaces to put after and before the character as well as an option to capitalize after it. Enjoy!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Of course, the weekend DT way overbooks me is also the weekend that DT starts really getting on in the middle of the night while I'm working on their files to bother me about whether or not I've got them finished yet.

And of course today I manage to download and transcribe the wrong file so even though I thought I got it done was earlier, I've actually gotta do the right one. Blah.

So I guess ignore that thing about EOD being really flexible, although I guess this is still fairly flexible if I hadn't managed to gently caress up.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Of course, the weekend DT way overbooks me is also the weekend that DT starts really getting on in the middle of the night while I'm working on their files to bother me about whether or not I've got them finished yet.

And of course today I manage to download and transcribe the wrong file so even though I thought I got it done was earlier, I've actually gotta do the right one. Blah.

So I guess ignore that thing about EOD being really flexible, although I guess this is still fairly flexible if I hadn't managed to gently caress up.

The problem is it's dependent on the workload. When they're overbooked they're also thinking not about you, but the poeple who will get it in some time the next day even. Things that are assigned EOD Saturday or even Friday usually go out to the clients end of business Monday. And some asshats will think what you really meant was sometimes kind of around Sunday evening. And they pester you because they think you'll actually be bothered about it and therefor get it in ASAP.

Now, let me introduce you all to a fresh hell. This is the Jeffersonian Standard.

http://mis.ucd.ie/wiki/JeffersonianTranscription

Every syllable, every noise, every pause, every almost utterance, oh, and also evaluating intonation fluctuations. I was offered a 30 minute file at this standard, 30 pounds sterling. At the current exchange rate that's about $58 CAD.

Oh, by the way it was six speakers talking all over each other like they were competing in a who can be the noisiest thing in the world contest.

I don't blame the client. The sales guys make the deal and the project managers are actually really awesome. I just cannot believe someone who wanted that much detail wouldn't just LISTEN TO THE loving RECORDING! Just sayin'.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I don't think any amount of money is worth that kind of hit to my sanity.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If DT made that standard I would quit in an instant so hard.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

If I had a client pitch that to me I'd say, "Sure, $10 a minute for single-speaker" just to get them to go the gently caress away.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I turned in a eod Sunday file like two hours late without issue, assuming they'd be booked to all hell and wouldn't care. I was correct. I know deadlines can be important so I'm not usually willing to push it much further than that.

There is nothing more terrible than realizing you did the wrong file, that's the worst.

This is the second week I've put in for no work on Monday, cause i worked through the weekend.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Gah! I did three passes on one of those terrible phone files and apparently this girl heard differently. Well guess what, that's wonderful. Threaten me with Sally all you like, it's a pile of crap. Also, if I choose to use INAUDIBLE, it's because it's INAUDIBLE. OVERLAP is more friendly? No, the client needs to understand this isn't a moderation issue it's a recording issue. Her recording setup is poo poo!

edit: Oh, you made all those overlap? That's lovely. Except those are all actually inaudible because the sound quality is CRAP!

...bleh.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 2, 2015

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I may be working too much or something, apparently I renamed the guide to one project and sent that in instead of the renaming the sample (To get the footers and poo poo I just paste the finished work into the sample or a copy of the sample) and sending that in.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I've been doing a lot of lovely SEO writing recently, and the company runs everything through copyscape so I've just been throwing anything I reword into this tool to cover my rear end. Has worked great for the past several months.

http://www.copyscape.com/compare.php

I love how it works where it easily highlights 3 word + phrases that are identical in the way that copyscape compares a page. Is there anything that does the same thing, but offline? I can't imagine you actually need an internet connection to compare two documents.

Copyscape's compare two documents tool does have a limit to how many times you can use it per day, which is annoying me kind of.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Apparently, the World Health Organization is recommending that headphones be used for one hour per day to avoid hearing damage, to which I say, I'll both hear and rest when I'm dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

They're mostly talking about music and earbuds/leaky headphones, which encourage people to jack up the volume. Good over-the-ear transcribing cans let you listen at a comfortable volume and present no significant threat. :)

(I'm going to make you all jealous now: the clients I work with provide audio so clear that the last time I had to put on headphones for transcription was months ago. I've been doing this with desktop speakers.)