Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!
Beans? Make some chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Or red beans and rice (see OP of the cajun thread)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

Do it with not so much garlic and add some tomato paste and oregano and you've got mexican rice that's perfect with some home-made flour tortillas. Some frozen corn and peas if you have them.

I haven't done this in too long.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Bob Morales posted:

Do it with not so much garlic and add some tomato paste and oregano and you've got mexican rice that's perfect with some home-made flour tortillas. Some frozen corn and peas if you have them.

I do this when entertaining when we don't feel like spending more than five minutes getting dinner ready, which is really quite often. We subtract the tortillas and add one can of Costco chicken. Not many picky eaters say no to basic chicken, rice, and sauce.

Edit: We don't mix it all together -- it becomes a textureless mash.
1) Add rice to rice cooker, add bullion, cook ~halfway
2) Pour can of Ragu on top of rice. Add chicken (pre-cooked canned Kirkland variety) atop that. Don't mix, just let it sit there.
3) Second half of cooking.

When people serve themselves with a ladle, the three layers are still pretty distinct and they can choose whether or not to mix it up themselves.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 22, 2015

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

Bro Enlai posted:

How do people here like their lentils? Lately I've been making mine with mirepoix, wine, and a double helping of umami with fish sauce and black bean garlic sauce. Sometimes I use browned tomato paste, too. Once I fill out my spice cabinet some, I might try a dal.
Forget buying 20 different spices, just pick up a box of dal spice mix. I have a huge collection of spices and have made dal spice mix myself but find the boxed stuff is way nicer and quicker. I get a brand called Shan
which is from Pakistan.

Also I saw a recipe for lentil ragu which looks yummy, I'm going to try it out as a mince beef substitute.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Hi thread, I'm back

Speaking of spices...I recently started a hydroponic mini spice garden. It takes up about a 1'X2' amount of space and I have so many gat dang herbs I don't know what to do with them. Invest in a a little window garden, it pays off. I almost cry at the fact that I will never have to pay money for overpriced dried tastless spices.

Seriously, some always fresh herbs will change everything from "good to "great"

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Can you post some pics of it? Sounds really cool.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

I currently dont have a working camera (cell phone) but I started my first garden with a little plastic trough, soil, and a few packets of seeds (cilantro, basil, parsley, dill). Planted them, and left it in the window with the most sun, supplementing with a cheap grow light. I recently upgraded to this bad boy, because I am significantly less poor than when I started this thread 4 years ago. I think it was about $150, so by no means is it a must.

My window trough is now dedicated to some salad green sprouts, so I will update on how those are coming along once they get a little bigger. I usually do a small tomato and bean garden in the summer too, but with the weather getting colder and summer coming later, it has been less successful. If you live in a place where you are able to plant a small garden (outside or inside) I would strongly suggest it. It really helps save quite a bit of money on fresh produce, which is what seems to take up most of my grocery expenses, next to meat. It takes literally 10 minutes a day, max, to take care of.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Oh, that's a pretty futuristic looking thing. It's really not cheap, but if it works well it should pay for itself in a reasonable time. I'm using dried herbs most of the time, which sucks.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

My big downfall with herbs and gardening in general is that I keep failing to keep things trim and managed, so everything grows out of control and then chokes itself out.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

That exact item was posted in the Bad With Money thread like a week ago. It's a fun toy for someone with the cash, and it can be space-efficient, but it will take ages to pay for itself. You should definitely try growing herbs, though. If you don't get enough light off your windowsill, you can rig up a grow light for $25.

Ball Tazeman
Feb 2, 2010

Oh yeah its by no means something you should go out and buy if you don't have spare change, I bought it as a treat to myself because I've had an herb garden for some time and wanted to expand.

But growing small plants and herbs is super low effort for the amount you'll save for overpriced crap. It at least helped me save, as well as made my food taste 1000x better. Potting soil is like $4 for 5 lbs and you can use almost anything to plant it in. Packets of seeds are $3 usually. You make all that back very quickly.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

disheveled posted:

That exact item was posted in the Bad With Money thread like a week ago. It's a fun toy for someone with the cash, and it can be space-efficient, but it will take ages to pay for itself. You should definitely try growing herbs, though. If you don't get enough light off your windowsill, you can rig up a grow light for $25.

No need to even spend this much. I grabbed a fluorescent "grow light" from Wal-Mart for ten bucks, and hung it on a couple thumbtacks in my cubicle. I've got ten different types of basil and some chili peppers in my garden nook, plus the light also really helps the mood when you're stuck indoors for 8-12 hours a day typing.

Also, all you should need is a single batch of starter seeds, once you've grown your first few plants you can just keep letting one plant grow to flower, and then take seeds from it to start the next cycle. I've got fourth-generation basil that tastes awesome, since it's got genes from three different species. (You can pollinate basil with a Q-tip. :v:)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Soak dried beans in a bowl overnight. Drain the water the next morning and put the beans in a pot with a ham hock, black pepper, and bay leaves, and enough water to cover everything. Simmer covered for 12 hours, serve with cornbread.

This is kind of old, but should I be paranoid about leaving the stove on for 12 hours unattended while I'm at work? I feel like that's a bad idea.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Infinite Karma posted:

This is kind of old, but should I be paranoid about leaving the stove on for 12 hours unattended while I'm at work? I feel like that's a bad idea.

It probably isn't a good idea to leave the stove on for 12 hours unattended but I'm sure people do it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you're worried about the stove being on, invest in a crockpot. Simmering all day is basically what they are made for. They are frequently at Goodwill and flea markets.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Infinite Karma posted:

Either use a crockpot (i do this) or use a dutch oven in the stove or on the woodstove (i do this in the wintertime if I'm at home).

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Suspect Bucket posted:

If you're worried about the stove being on, invest in a crockpot. Simmering all day is basically what they are made for. They are frequently at Goodwill and flea markets.

This. A new crockpot can run between $20-80 depending on the specific brand and size, but you won't regret getting the biggest one you can find. Ok, well, maybe you'll regret it if you're trying to make like a single serving of something, but why would you do that? Crockpots are amazing for making tons of slow cooked delicious food. Soups, stews, braised meats... there's so many things that can be made.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Does anyone have some ideas for bean soup? I have left over pinto and black beans from my chilli making that I need to use up, plus my grandparents are fasting for Easter so I need to get creative with meat free recipes that they can eat.

Key criteria:

- No meat
- No chilli (grandmother won't eat it, the rest of us can add chilli/hot sauce to our bowls)
- reasonably priced
- nice
- tasty
- Yummo

I'm soaking pinto beans and the black beans; and I'm thinking of simmering with

- onion
- garlic
- capsicum (? maybe ?)
- carrot
- Celery
- Bay leaves
- garlic
- vegetable stock
- tomatoes

from there, I'm not sure - my gut instinct would be to throw some bacon or a ham hock in there, but they won't eat meat this week, so I was thinking something to make it smokey - liquid smoke maybe? or I have some smoked salt I can add. Also booze - overkill or not? I was thinking maybe some beer or a shot of scotch.

Any other ideas?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Just cook for a long time with the onion and bay leaf, then add other veggies when there's a few hours left. Meatless bean soups (without chili) have a unique and delicious flavour all of their own that you can bring out with only vegetables, herbs, and some mild spices.

Also, try a white bean soup with onion, some caraway, a little carrot, and lots of dill. Some cabbage would be good in there too, finely shredded in the last half hour. Top with some vinegar just before serving.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

You can't really go wrong with a kale and bean soup. Maybe something like this? It calls for white beans, but black and pinto should be fine. Frankly, I don't really tend to notice a difference between beans in soup.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

You can't really go wrong with a kale and bean soup. Maybe something like this? It calls for white beans, but black and pinto should be fine. Frankly, I don't really tend to notice a difference between beans in soup.

Every time I've tried to cook kale it ends up being chewy like old leather. Ok for me, not so much for toothless granny. I think we have cabbage though.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The Lord Bude posted:

Every time I've tried to cook kale it ends up being chewy like old leather. Ok for me, not so much for toothless granny. I think we have cabbage though.

Yeah, you gotta cook it long and cook it to death. Maybe shred it finely or use cabbage, yeah.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Yeah, you gotta cook it long and cook it to death. Maybe shred it finely or use cabbage, yeah.

Well thanks. I'll use the cabbage.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

The Lord Bude posted:

Whenever I make my kale/potato/kielbasa soup, I always wilt the kale first. Basically cook the veggies, then add the kale, let it get way small, then add the stock/liquid.

I guess if you're using a slow cooker, wilt it in another pan and then add it to it?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

The Lord Bude posted:

Does anyone have some ideas for bean soup? I have left over pinto and black beans from my chilli making that I need to use up, plus my grandparents are fasting for Easter so I need to get creative with meat free recipes that they can eat.

Key criteria:

- No meat
- No chilli (grandmother won't eat it, the rest of us can add chilli/hot sauce to our bowls)
- reasonably priced
- nice
- tasty
- Yummo

I'm soaking pinto beans and the black beans; and I'm thinking of simmering with

- onion
- garlic
- capsicum (? maybe ?)
- carrot
- Celery
- Bay leaves
- garlic
- vegetable stock
- tomatoes

from there, I'm not sure - my gut instinct would be to throw some bacon or a ham hock in there, but they won't eat meat this week, so I was thinking something to make it smokey - liquid smoke maybe? or I have some smoked salt I can add. Also booze - overkill or not? I was thinking maybe some beer or a shot of scotch.

Any other ideas?

My favourite bean soup is pasta e fagioli. In fact it's my favourite legume meal of all. I've done it with black eyed peas before, but never pinto beans.
Most recipes trying to stay vegetarian use parmesan rind for extra flavour. Some use tamari soy sauce or smoked paprika if not using chilli. Dried shallots can give a good flavour too.

Here's my version, most people add more canned tomato or beans, but I'm happy with it as it is (trial and error and 3-4 different sources/recipes combined)
Pasta e Fagioli
Can be done thick like a stew, or thinner like a soup

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium brown or red onion, finely diced
1 carrot, finely diced
2 celery stick, finely diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano or rosemary - I prefer 1T fresh rosemary when making this vegetarian
1 400g can diced tomatoes for a stew, 2 cans for a soup
2 Tbsp tomato paste
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
2 400g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 cup cooked dried beans)
3-4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken or vegetable stock (4 cups for a soup, 3 cups for a stew)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp ground black pepper
150g small pasta shells
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
optional 1 piece Parmesan cheese rind, about 5cm by 5cm
optional ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
optional 100g pancetta or bacon, chopped fine
optional 3 anchovy fillets, minced (recommended if no other meat)
optional bunch spinach and a pinch smoked paprika, also lemon to serve if cooking vegetarian

1. Mash about ¼ of the beans with a fork. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven pan over medium heat. Add the optional pancetta/bacon if using and cook until browned, remove and set aside.

2. Add the onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened, 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano/rosemary, chilli flakes and anchovies; cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, cook until sticking. Add the canned tomato, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer to blend the flavors, 10 minutes.

3. Add the optional parmesan cheese rind with the stock and salt and pepper; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the beans and pasta and cook until tender, about 8 minutes, then add optional spinach and stir through.

4. Discard the parmesan rind if used. Take the pan off the heat, stir in 3/4 of the parsley; adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into individual bowls; drizzle each serving with olive oil and sprinkle with a portion of the remaining parsley and top with the grated parmesan separately.

Another idea is doing a vegetable soup minestrone soup style, but beans instead of pasta. See if you can find alton brown's winter vegetable soup recipe.

What's eveyone's favourite legume recipes?
I've been doing Indian dal or lentil, and American bean chilies for the past two years and got sick of them. Only recently did the pasta e fagioli a couple of weeks ago and remembered how much I like beans again

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 7, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fo3 posted:

My favourite bean soup is pasta e fagioli. In fact it's my favourite legume meal of all. I've done it with black eyed peas before, but never pinto beans.
Most recipes trying to stay vegetarian use parmesan rind for extra flavour. Some use tamari soy sauce or smoked paprika if not using chilli. Dried shallots can give a good flavour too.

Here's my version, most people add more canned tomato or beans, but I'm happy with it as it is (trial and error and 3-4 different sources/recipes combined)
Pasta e Fagioli

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 medium onion, chopped fine
1 carrot, finely diced
2 celery ribs, diced fine
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano or rosemary
1 can diced tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
½ cup grated parmesan
2 cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or 1 cup dried beans, cooked)
3-4 cups homemade or low-salt chicken or vegetable stock (4 cups for a soup, 3 cups for a stew)
½ tsp salt
150g small pasta shells
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
¼ tsp ground black pepper
optional 1 piece Parmesan cheese rind, about 10cm
optional ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
optional 100g pancetta or bacon, chopped fine
optional 3 anchovy fillets, minced (recommended if no other meat)
optional bunch spinach and a pinch smoked paprika, maybe lemon to serve if cooking vegetarian

1. Mash about ¼ of the beans with a fork. Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add the optional pancetta/bacon if using and cook, until browned.
Add the onion, carrot and celery; cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are softened, 5-10 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano/rosemary, chilli flakes and anchovies; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste, cook until sticking. Add the canned tomato, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer to blend the flavors, 10 minutes.

2. Add the cheese rind and beans with the chicken stock and 1/2 teaspoon salt; increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Add the beans and pasta and cook until tender, about 8 minutes, then add optional spinach and stir through.

3. Discard the optional parmesan rind. Take the saucepan off the heat, stir in 3 tablespoons of the parsley; adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into individual bowls; drizzle each serving with olive oil and sprinkle with parsley and grated parmesan.

Another idea is doing a vegetable soup minestrone soup style, but beans instead of pasta. See if you can find alton brown's winter vegetable soup recipe.

What's eveyone's favourite legume recipes?
I've been doing Indian dal or lentil, and American bean chilies for the past two years and got sick of them. Only recently did the pasta e fagioli a couple of weeks ago and remembered how much I like beans again

I do indian dal alot - mostly with yellow split peas; also a greek yellow split pea dish that's very nice - I'll post the recipe if people want.

I ended up making my bean soup - tasted good but after 4 hours of cooking the pinto beans were still kinda firm, which I wasn't expecting, not after soaking overnight. They were kinda old though - I was making the soup mostly to use up my remaining stock of them, normally I put them in chilli, but chilli is too time intensive to be bothered with aside from special occasions.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So, a thing I have mentioned in other threads, and I'll keep talking about because it's important- beans take a long time to cook. Like 8 or 12 hours if you want them to get really good - and that's after soaking all night. Unless you're using a pressure cooker, you've got to give your beans some time.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Wow really? I've always used a pressure cooker when it comes to beans.
May as well buy them canned then I guess, or the quicker cooking black eyed peas if not using a pressure cooker then.
I haven't tried stove top, but all the guides I've read say 90min, (in water, seems to take much much longer if cooked with veg, seasoning and other adjuncts).
I always use a pressure cooker and they're done after 7-8 minutes in plain water (e: after an overnight soak), then I treat them like canned beans to add to a stove top recipe like above.
E: I noticed a newer recipe I had so I'll update the above while I'm here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 7, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, a thing I have mentioned in other threads, and I'll keep talking about because it's important- beans take a long time to cook. Like 8 or 12 hours if you want them to get really good - and that's after soaking all night. Unless you're using a pressure cooker, you've got to give your beans some time.

Huh. I'll remember that for next time. I'm a total novice at using non canned beans.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's one of the primary reasons I keep a slow cooker around (well, also for congee and oatmeal and what not, but beans are the big reason). I cook with dried beans a lot, and my favourite thing to do is to soak overnight, then put them in the slow cooker before I go to work. That night they're ready to go and at the perfect texture. Some recipes are better on the stove top for that time, though, because in the stirring action you break up the beans a bit, giving that nice creamy consistency.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Are you talking about making some kind of bean gravy, or perhaps a very smooth refried bean? Because I tend to do pretty well quick-cooking my beans in 90 minutes in the oven, and I've never really had a problem. I mean, yeah, granted, if you cook them low and slow, you'll get a much creamier texture out of them, which might be what you want, but quick-cooking them like I do keeps them solid enough for use in most dishes while actually cooking them all the way through so they're edible.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Don't many beans (from memory lima and kidney - there may be more), need to be cooked above a certain temperature - higher than a slow cooker runs at - to break down certain toxins?
In fact I remember that at slow cooker temps, toxins can increase.

The Lord Bude posted:

Huh. I'll remember that for next time. I'm a total novice at using non canned beans.

It can take longer if the beans are stale as you know. I've read that adding some baking soda to known stale beans can speed up cook time as well. Alway best to cook a small amount of recently bought dried beans alone just in water to get an idea of their cook time if you can before using them in a recipe.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 7, 2015

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Don't many beans (from memory lima and kidney - there may be more), need to be cooked above a certain temperature - higher than a slow cooker runs at - to break down certain toxins?
In fact I remember that at slow cooker temps, toxins can increase.

Yes and no. You can get ill from eating undercooked beans. That said, its very hard to undercook beans in a slow cooker, and I think equally hard to choke down a meal of undercooked beans. But some people are very special and do both, and they blog about it incessantly.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fo3 posted:

It can take longer if the beans are stale as you know. I've read that adding some baking soda to known stale beans can speed up cook time as well. Alway best to cook a small amount of recently bought dried beans alone just in water to get an idea of their cook time if you can before using them in a recipe.

This could be it - the expiry date on the packet was a couple days from now, thus the need to use them up ASAP.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Expiry date? You mean you're getting those little dinky mckenzie 375g bags from the supermarket*, (IIRC you work at one, but anyway).
Best place to get beans is weigh and pay or bigger bags at Indian/Asian shops or markets. They usually are a lot fresher because they sell much more, eg to restaurants, and vegetarians are more likely to shop there.

* I've sometimes been in a bind and needed beans and bought them from a supermarket in walking distance, I just checked some old ones I bought from my IGA a year ago, exp 09/15. So if your beans were near expiry date they maybe 2 years old.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 7, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Expiry date? You mean you're getting those little dinky mckenzie 500g bags from the supermarket, (IIRC you work at one, but anyway).
Best place to get beans is weigh and pay or bigger bags at Indian/Asian shops or markets. They usually are a lot fresher because they sell much more, eg to restaurants, and vegetarians are more likely to shop there.

Pinto beans and black beans aren't exactly common - I bought quite large bags (a kilo or 2) from a deli specializing in Spanish/Italian/mexican/American stuff. I haven't found anywhere else that sells them (I bought them for Chilli) they only cost a few dollars each. Expiry date was stuck on a sticker- I'm guessing when it was imported - not printed on the bag itself - I don't imagine it would be legal to sell without one. The bags were generic, like spices you buy from an indian grocer. I bought them maybe a year ago?

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 7, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The phytotoxin stuff especially for red beans isn't especially common for most low and slow cooking preparations that go for more than a few hours. Usually where they see issues with it are beans that were parboiled or very undercooked and served almost raw in salads etc.

That being said the toxin breaks down quick at higher temperatures so if you are concerned about it a quick (5-10m) actual boil after soaking your beans then putting them back into a crockpot is sufficient to get rid of any toxin activity.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

neogeo0823 posted:

Are you talking about making some kind of bean gravy, or perhaps a very smooth refried bean? Because I tend to do pretty well quick-cooking my beans in 90 minutes in the oven, and I've never really had a problem. I mean, yeah, granted, if you cook them low and slow, you'll get a much creamier texture out of them, which might be what you want, but quick-cooking them like I do keeps them solid enough for use in most dishes while actually cooking them all the way through so they're edible.

I don't think you "get" beans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I don't think you "get" beans.

I get it for, say, red beans and rice, or refried beans, or even a bean and ham soup. But if you're just looking to quickly get some beans from dried to edible, that's the way to go. I don't always have time to babysit a pot of beans for hours on end. Sometimes, I'd like to spend 10 minutes to prep and boil, then go do something else for an hour and a half and have beans waiting for me when I get back.