Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Hahaha yep. Just own it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:

origami posted:

You should start an argument with all black belts there regarding any technique you find thuggish.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

forever.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Another point in the 15 year old bb saga: it sounds like with the amount of time and effort to get the rank, how many kids are really going to make it? One or two every few years?

I did tkd at a school that did not give kid black belts but when I was 16 they gave me a junior black belt and then officially promoted me when I turned 18. Never happened before idk if it's happened since. It kept me motivated and felt good.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Sprecherscrow posted:

Speaking of Rener and Ryron, they did this video yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6344FL3T-bU

I feel like there's something kind of asinine about their argument, but I can't quite put it into words.

Is it because they are shilling Gracie Combatives as the only effective thing? I can live with this since they acknowledged the fight was the BJJ guy's fault in the first place. 0/10 for deescalation

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

A Wry Smile posted:

Opal- Well I dunno if I'm really as invested in this issue as you sound but lemme try to respond to your questions
You state correctly that it's an honor thing- that's where my claim of ego inflation comes from. A 'black belt' to most people (especially younger people) is a cool, mystical, nigh-unattainable symbol of mastery. It's a status symbol, a sign of achievement, and not generally seen as something that can be revoked. The belt promotion puts expectations on this kid to perform to a level similar to all other BJJ black belts (including adults), at least in the eyes of the layperson who hears of his promotion. And it might mess with his motivation to go from 'black belt of the kids division' to 'purple belt of the adults division' because big fish generally have a crisis of self when they leave their small ponds for the ocean. Again, I'm not frothing over this or anything, just saying that I don't see any benefit over alternative methods of encouragement from the coach's perspective.

I never implied that you were and neither am I. You don't have to be heavily invested in an issue to argue about it one way or the other.

I don't think it puts those expectations on him at all because it's clearly stated that it's a junior black belt and there's a precedence of kids transitioning to another affiliated club and being granted a properly equivalent belt in the process. Neither you nor I really know how much of this is transparent in the club but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I don't care for belt mysticism or the opinions of these laypeople, I don't know why anyone else would and if he does then that's up to him? Additionally, his rank apparently signifies 1400 hours of mat time which is far more than most gym warriors have put down. As long as there's no wool-pulling - which to me it doesn't sound like there is - I really don't see the problem.

Keep in mind that this is one gym under one coach who is also closely affiliated with Carlos Machado. If it was Bobby Joe's Gym out in Smalltown, Nowhere then maybe I'd be of a different opinion.

KingColliwog posted:

Basically if this become common, the black belt will feel like it's not worth as much

If a grown man or woman feels this threatened by a teenager in Texas with a junior black belt then maybe they still have some growing up to do and should not in fact have a black belt at all.

Opal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 2, 2015

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Just the concept of a "junior black belt" is wierd to me, to be honest. Either you're a black belt or you're not. And I don't think the issue is with some kind of mysticism. It is that nobody wants their art to start down the road of TKD where if somebody tells you they're a black belt you have to resist the urge to laugh at them.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I don't think anyone involved in the thing is a bad guy or whatever, I think the reactions have been weirdly personal in that regard (especially from some of the very top guys in BJJ as such). I do think that there's no way any of us would want it to be a common thing for kids to get black belts, though. As much as it shouldn't be about the belt and there shouldn't be any sort of mysticism there, it does exist, the notion of respect for tradition and all that stuff. And I personally think it's cool that any legit BJJ black belt is probably going to be able to represent BJJ really well if they're of a competitive age.

Different people care about that to different degrees, obviously, and I guess reactions here line up along those lines. I dunno, my gym is more upset about it than I am, but I don't think it's going to become common. The kid was really unusually dedicated, after all.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 2, 2015

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

One of the Gracie schools around here has kid's BJJ and they use a completely different belt system. White for beginners, bright yellow for the intermediate and then a grey for the kids / teenagers who're advanced. When they get the grey they become a blue belt once they start the adult classes. I've rolled with a few dudes who had their grey belts who were 15/16 and they were technically pretty sound. They obviously couldn't match strength, but the technique was definitely there.

I think it's dumb to give them black belts, but it's not really something I've ever given a poo poo about. Every martial art with a belt system I've ever done I've been really slack about going to gradings or putting stripes on my belts when they've been awarded. I've never really cared about the belt level stuff. I was never huge into competing anyway.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Agreed posted:

I don't think anyone involved in the thing is a bad guy or whatever, I think the reactions have been weirdly personal in that regard (especially from some of the very top guys in BJJ as such). I do think that there's no way any of us would want it to be a common thing for kids to get black belts, though.

That's fine, I can respect that. I guess I just don't see the risk of that actually happening.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
As dumb as it may be, I decided that this month I want to mostly dedicate my Gi training to learning the spider guard. I've been looking at Stephan Kesting stuff since it's always good, but if someone went down this road before and has some specific videos that helped them I'd love to see them.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I'm amused to see the belt issue spontaneously reflected in the A/T thread.

KC my experience with spider is that it's a good way to shut down pressure passing, but even if you get a sweep it's unlikely to translate into a dominant top position before they can rebound, so you're basically resigning yourself to fighting off your back and forcing the stalemate, which gets boring fast. IMO if you're gonna dedicate a month to quirky gi guards might as well go whole hog and learn Keenan's worm guard, it's still relatively unknown so your chances are much better of people 'getting creative' against it and hanging themselves.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
http://www.everythinglubbock.com/story/d/story/lubbock-boy-family-subject-of-death-threats-after/35973/mGyexfVzTkazJ2BDuc3T_A

Jesus gently caress.

DAS Super!
Jul 26, 2007
You should probably pay more attention to your log.
/
:backtowork:
http://www.bjjglobetrotters.com/product/gray-travel-gi-introduction-price/

Anyone who is knowledgeable in Gis, could you tell me how good this one is? I recently got a job that has me traveling a lot so i thought this would be a good idea to pick up.

widunder
May 2, 2002
http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/gabi-garcia-to-focus-on-jiu-jitsu-postpones-mma-debut-at-jungle-fight/

meanwhile

"Jungle Fight, the No. 1 MMA promotion in Brazil, will start drug testing fighters this year. Longtime MMA promoter Wallid Ismail told MMA Fighting that two fighters will be randomly selected to do the test after every event, starting on March 28. Ismail will do it even though he expects to lose a lot of money with it."

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

A Wry Smile posted:

I'm amused to see the belt issue spontaneously reflected in the A/T thread.

KC my experience with spider is that it's a good way to shut down pressure passing, but even if you get a sweep it's unlikely to translate into a dominant top position before they can rebound, so you're basically resigning yourself to fighting off your back and forcing the stalemate, which gets boring fast. IMO if you're gonna dedicate a month to quirky gi guards might as well go whole hog and learn Keenan's worm guard, it's still relatively unknown so your chances are much better of people 'getting creative' against it and hanging themselves.

Thanks, I'll think about it. Right now I'm getting so many triangles it's ridiculous, but I know people will get wise.

I'll look at some worm guard too, as far as I know the basic concepts are the same anyway.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

People are terrible. Though part of me wonders if the "death threats" they are talking about are people posting poo poo on twitter/facebook or actual contact.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Thoguh posted:

People are terrible. Though part of me wonders if the "death threats" they are talking about are people posting poo poo on twitter/facebook or actual contact.

I'm not sure why verbally abusing a minor through social media is any less serious than a phone call. It still inflicts terror and emotional suffering, especially on a kid who might not have the coping skills. Not everyone grew up in the flamier parts of the internet the way goons did and for a lot of people Twitter and Facebook are part of Real Life now.

Also, tweeting death threats at a kid because you're mad about his coach's choices is stupid diaper baby poo poo, come on jiu jitsu people.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well I mean he's a black belt right? He should be able to handle some threats without getting too rattled. :edi:

E: vvv :vince:

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Mar 4, 2015

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

A Wry Smile posted:

Well I mean he's a black belt right? He should be able to handle some threats without getting too rattled. :edi:

It seems like the threateners are the ones that need rattles :ocelot:

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Sherdog posted:

Chael Sonnen will compete against Renato Sobral at Metamoris 6 on May 9 in Los Angeles.

Sherdog.com confirmed the matchup with Metamoris officials following an initial report from MMAFighting.com. The report adds that the event location has yet to be decided upon and Sonnen versus “Babalu” will not serve as the card’s main event.

eh. Should be a little more competitive than the Galvao match but over 20 minutes I still see Chael getting tapped.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Soraldo Babalu is probably doing a submission

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
All the NCAA D-1 conference wrestling tournaments except the Pac-12 are this weekend (Oregon State won the Pac-12s last weekend). Which means pre-seeds for them all are out. Except the SoCon. Because the soCon is terrible. And the Big XII, because they don't even count as a conference this year for some reason.

Big Ten Pre-seeds
MAC Pre-seeds
ACC Pre-seeds
EWL Pre-seeds
EIWA Pre-seeds
WWC Pre-seeds

Big Ten championships will be on a combination of BTN2Go streaming and the Big Ten Network
Session 1 - Saturday, March 7 @ 10:00 AM ET on BTN2Go
Session 2 - Saturday, March 7 @ 6:00 PM ET on BTN2Go
Session 3 - Sunday, March 8 @ 1:00 PM ET on BTN2Go
Session 4 - Sunday, March 8 @ 3:00 PM ET on BTN2Go
Championships - Sunday, March 8 @ 3:00 PM ET on BTN

MAC will be on ESPN3
Session 1 - Saturday, March 7th @ 3PM EST on ESPN3
Session 2 - Sunday, March 8th @ 3PM EST on ESPN3

ACC will be on ESPN3
Session 1 - Sunday March 8th @ 11AM EST on ESPN3
Finals - Sunday March 8th @ 7PM EST on ESPN3

I can't find streaming information for the EWL

EIWA will be streamed by FloWrestling
Session 1 - Friday, March 6th @10AM EST on Flo
Session 2 - Saturday, March 7th @10AM EST on Flo
Session 3 - Saturday, March 7th @5:30PM EST on Flo

I can't find streaming info for the SoCon

Big XII will be on BigXIIsports and FoxSportsGo
Session 1 - Saturday, March 7th @ 11AM EST on BigXIISports.com (Free)
Session 2 - Saturday, March 7th @ 7PM on FoxSportsGo

WWC will be on GoBison.com (NDSU's streaming service)
Session 1 - Saturday, March 7th @ 11 AM EST on GoBison.com

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 5, 2015

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

colonel_korn posted:

eh. Should be a little more competitive than the Galvao match but over 20 minutes I still see Chael getting tapped.

I think Chael could be about to do some absolute furious, furious bothering to Sobral for about twenty minutes. I actually like this match for him.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

KC this is for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXiMGbCzAco

And since I'm sharing videos, the double DLR from the source himself:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKtoB8Fsocs

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 5, 2015

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
I like the first video. People rarely pass standing in judo (since in competition it will get you stood up really fast), but there's a guy or two that like try it anyway when training so I'll try to work on it.

The second video is really cool and I'll try it for sure. It also fits well with the spider guard if I have control of both sleeves and the guy is in combat base

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Where to start as far as watching compressive bjj? Ideally I'd like to watch gi stuff as i train with a gi but im going to watch the upcoming metamoris. School me. 

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ICHIBAHN posted:

Where to start as far as watching compressive bjj? Ideally I'd like to watch gi stuff as i train with a gi but im going to watch the upcoming metamoris. School me. 

Just do what all the cool kids are doing today and watch a bunch of college wrestling

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

ICHIBAHN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7afkv4ih68c

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Just do what all the cool kids are doing today and watch a bunch of college wrestling

Speaking of which, Ohio State and Iowa split the B1G title yesterday

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

Speaking of which, Ohio State and Iowa split the B1G title yesterday

sucks that Ohio State had a guy get hurt, otherwise they would have won it. Iowa really struggled. Here's a full list of automatic qualifiers. At larges com eout later this week, I've seen either Wednesday or Thursday being the day, and brackets I believe are revealed on Thursday evening.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
De la riva is the most fun I've had playing guard in quite a while. There's so much ressource online too. Thanks once again A Wry Smile

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
What's the goonsensus on Roy Dean? I'm itching for new bjj phone instructionals and have grown weary of Stephan Kesting's shiny head. Dean's techniques look legit to me based on the previews, and he seems like a really intelligent and detail-oriented teacher, but there are also red flags (he's into Japanese culture and talks up Aikido, seems a bit too enthusiastic about wristlocks, etc.) Particularly interested if anyone's got firsthand experience with his blue belt or no gi apps.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Decades posted:

grown weary of Stephan Kesting's shiny head

This can happen?

I dunno about the apps but the videos he has on youtube are pretty nice:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3clyVNfjXg

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Decades posted:

What's the goonsensus on Roy Dean? I'm itching for new bjj phone instructionals and have grown weary of Stephan Kesting's shiny head. Dean's techniques look legit to me based on the previews, and he seems like a really intelligent and detail-oriented teacher, but there are also red flags (he's into Japanese culture and talks up Aikido, seems a bit too enthusiastic about wristlocks, etc.) Particularly interested if anyone's got firsthand experience with his blue belt or no gi apps.

He's got a weird personality and can look/sound like a creeper quite often. I've watched his blue belt requirement series and it's really solid AFAIK. I don't know if it's the same as the app though. There was 0 talk of wristlocks or anything esoteric. It was really down to earth basic techniques with every step clearly explained.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That specific video saved my life a couple of years ago on my way to purple.

He's an excited dude.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

a weird personality and can look/sound like a creeper quite often

omg chael crash posted:

an excited dude

He sounds right up my alley

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I like his videos, and while he does seem kinda eccentric, who cares, one of his hobbies is being awesome at BJJ and also willing and able to make instructional videos, I love that about him much more than I care about any other personality trait.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

He's got a weird personality and can look/sound like a creeper quite often. I've watched his blue belt requirement series and it's really solid AFAIK. I don't know if it's the same as the app though. There was 0 talk of wristlocks or anything esoteric. It was really down to earth basic techniques with every step clearly explained.

He's good at grappling obviously, and I like what I've seen of his instructional stuff. Apparently he got really mad at a documentary filmmaker for flirting with one of his students, in a defensive "only I am allowed to hit on my students" kind of way, and now everyone thinks he's kind of a creep. He's also a fierce weeaboo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Whiteknighting wristlocking weeaboo or not he knows a lot of side control escapes so I think I'm ready to adopt his ways