Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HEY GAL posted:

dude, the SS may have been the worst thing that's ever happened to humanity but their outfits, you must admit, were boss

Why did you go there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

dude, the SS may have been the worst thing that's ever happened to humanity but their outfits, you must admit, were boss

Uh no, there is only one way to properly display a totenkopf on your hat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Taerkar posted:

Why did you go there?

Hugo Boss designed the uniforms of the SS.

Or if you already knew, I don't think anyone could resist that joke. Come on.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAL posted:

Everybody brings up Nazi outfits but I can't help but think of that Mitchell and Webb sketch.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign Expendable posted:

Mackensen got a generous helping of eyebrows, didn't he?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

StashAugustine posted:

Everybody brings up Nazi outfits but I can't help but think of that Mitchell and Webb sketch.
The Death's Head Hussars and the Black Brunswickers were decent people as far as I know. Sometimes you just gotta put a skull on something

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
It might have even been in this thread but I swear I read a thing a couple days ago about how the SS and Wehrmacht uniforms were basically the tailoring equivalent of the King Tiger, and tried to kill their wearer at every opportunity.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It made the partisan revenge parties and NKVD Intelligence officers jobs ever so much easier.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Mackensen got a generous helping of eyebrows, didn't he?

The archangels proclaimed God mad when He announced an attempt to construct a man's face entirely of eyebrows and lo, the Lord made it so.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

thatbastardken posted:

It might have even been in this thread but I swear I read a thing a couple days ago about how the SS and Wehrmacht uniforms were basically the tailoring equivalent of the King Tiger, and tried to kill their wearer at every opportunity.

Pretty sure WW2 Italian combat uniforms involved a necktie.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The archangels proclaimed God mad when He announced an attempt to construct a man's face entirely of eyebrows and lo, the Lord made it so.

History can only have one set of supreme eyebrows:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

im proud of u

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:golfclap:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is the best hat I've ever seen. Did they design that hat specifically for his face? It seems like a normal looking person wearing one would just look silly.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Colpacs on a normal person are silly.

On the head of a Hussar riding you down attempting to saber your loving your face off, they are something else. Also, Czapka caps look silly until you consider the same scenario.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 4, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The hat is just a natural extension of his eyebrows.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Colpacs on a normal person are silly.

On the head of a Hussar riding you down attempting to saber your loving your face off, they are something else. Also, Czapka caps look silly until you consider the same scenario.
why is your period so fantastically nuts with the hats

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Baracula posted:

if you cant have fun annihilating your class enemies/dumb menshevik jocks and wearing sick leather jackets i don't care about your opinions

Also, all the actual communists disagreeing with you + those whose only crime was grabbing the last piece of the pie in front of a fat goon bureaucrat :sigh:

On the subject of strange and awesome eastern ornaments, did you guys know certain soviet units wore the swastika for good luck?

I have a picture somewhere, post it later today.

E: Can't find it :(

Tias fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 4, 2015

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

We're checking in with the Landships Committee, who although they're yet to figure out what a tank actually is, are making an important step by moving towards using tracks of some sort instead of wheels. The Marines land again at the Dardanelles outer forts, but this time they get the derriere velocite. First Champagne continues claiming poilus' lives at an alarming rate, and BEF preparations for the Battle of Neuve Chapelle kick into high gear. They're well aware that the Germans can probably see a lot of what they're doing, so are planning an extensive set of deceptions elsewhere along the British section of line.

Also, the paper takes an interestingly gloomy turn when reporting the general situation on the Western Front, although there is a nicely cheerful advert for a paint cleaner. Apparently "Zog" is something other than a future King of the Albanians. (It seems he volunteered to fight with the Austro-Hungarian army during this war, incidentally.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Out of curiosity, and I'm still 395 posts behind, but can anyone tell me if (and for how long in case they did) plate armor and gunpowder weapons co-existed? I have this weird memory of "bulletproof" coming from armorers shooting a suit of armor at point blank as a proof of it being resistant to bullets, but it may be another pop culture thing.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, and I'm still 395 posts behind, but can anyone tell me if (and for how long in case they did) plate armor and gunpowder weapons co-existed? I have this weird memory of "bulletproof" coming from armorers shooting a suit of armor at point blank as a proof of it being resistant to bullets, but it may be another pop culture thing.

Note: this also happened in Japan, with live prisoners wearing the armour.

Depends what you mean by gunpowder. There were cannon at the battle of crecy in 1346 after all.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Disinterested posted:

Note: this also happened in Japan, with live prisoners wearing the armour.

Depends what you mean by gunpowder. There were cannon at the battle of crecy in 1346 after all.

:stare:

Good point - handheld gunpowder weapons? I know matchlocks and armor coexisted for some time in Japan, my question is mostly centered around Europe. :v:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Comedy answer:

(From Waterloo)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
That reminds me of something:
I was once watching a WW1 movie (that didn't pretend to be a documentary), and there was a scene where they tried to have some guys in plate armor leading an assault on a trench.
They all got killed.

Did something like that really happen? I think that movie was about the Austrian/Italian front, iirc.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

tonberrytoby posted:

That reminds me of something:
I was once watching a WW1 movie (that didn't pretend to be a documentary), and there was a scene where they tried to have some guys in plate armor leading an assault on a trench.
They all got killed.

Did something like that really happen? I think that movie was about the Austrian/Italian front, iirc.

Several kinds of body armour were tried out by both sides, although I believe their effectiveness was very limited.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
German Bombs, Rockets, Mines and more - Part 4

We're going to deviate a little today and talk about a few complicated bombs the Germans used on several occasions, with varying results. As the war went on and new technology was being made available, especially in the fields of radio and rocketry, it was only a matter of time before guided munitions would replace strings of bombs and bullets as the primary weapon, although never completely. The Germans, as far as I know, were the first to used Precision Guided Munitions or PGM operationally, and the US were second, using theirs against Japan beginning in early 1944.

One of the more well known guided bombs used by the Nazis was the PC 1400 FX Radio-Controlled Glide Bomb, popualrly called Fritz X. This type of glide bomb was used in the attacks on the Italian Battleship Roma, and led to its sinking. Other ships damaged or sunk by Fritz X were: HMS Warspite, USS Savannah, HMS Uganda, and several others. The FX 1400 could be carried by several different bombers, including the He-111, Do-217, and He-177, although it seems that it was almost always used operationally with Do-217's from KG100. Because it had to be guided by the bombardier of the aircraft, the Fritz X had a few disadvantages; The aircraft needed to maintain vision of its target at all times, and was susceptible to jamming.

PC 1400 FX Radio-Controlled Glider Bomb

Data
Overall Length: 130"
Length of the Control Unit Housing: 16"
Length of Fins at the Root: 31 5/8 inches
Length of Fins at Outer Edge: 18 1/4 inches
Length of Fin Leading Edge: 18 5/8 inches
Max Width of Tail Unit: 18"
Min Width of Tail Unit: 33 3/4 inches
Span of the Fins: 58 3/4 inches
Weight of the Filling: 270 kg
Total Weight (Approx.): 1,650 kg

General Description
The PC 1400 FX is a radio-controlled glider bomb designed for attacks against capital ships or similar targets. The bomb is assembled from three pieces: the H.E. armor-piercing warhead, control unit housing, and tail assembly. Four fins are also attached near the center of gravity to provide enough lift for the tail unit to operate. The warhead is an ordinary PC 1400 kg bomb with the four previously mentioned fins attached. There is one transverse fuze pocket just aft of the H-type suspension lug. The warhead is usually a mixture of 50/50 amatol filling. The typical fuze used with this bomb is the El AZ 38B with very short delay, and sometimes fitted with an extension cap. Alternative fuzes employed are the El. AZ 28A and the El. AZ 35. The control housing unit is made of cast aluminium alloy and contains: gyroscopes, radio receiver, power source, and a small detonation charge for destruction of the control unit. The two gyroscopes, located at the rear of the CHU, are mounted at 90 degree angles to each other and they control the stabilizing flaps. The direction is controlled by servo motors which are moved by impulse from the radio. A 24 volt battery powers the unit. The demolition charge, 1 1/2 pounds of penthrite wax, is usually fuzed with the VZ 80 "all-ways actions" fuze, and is supposed to destroy the directional equipment in case the warhead fails to detonate. The tail unit is constructed of cast magnesium alloy.

Operation
The PC 1400 FX was used in conjunction with a Lofte 7D bombsight. To operate the bomb, the bombardier had to switch on the gyroscope of the bomb 2 minutes before release. Immediately before launching, the bomber lowers its flaps and speed, and enters a climb. As the bomb is released, the bombardier starts his stop-watch since he can take control of it after 15 seconds have passed. "It has been estimated that the missile can be guided with a margin of error of only 50 meters from an altitude of 7,000 meters.

From 7,000 meters, it takes 42 seconds to reach sea level; From 6,000 meters, 38 seconds. The lowest possible height for satisfactory release is 4,000 meters. At the moment of impact, after being dropped from 7,000 meters, the bomb is said to have a velocity of 270 meters per second or 972 KM/H.

**: The book doesn't mention it, but the Fritz X has a flare in the tail to facilitate guiding for the bombardier.

Stockmine (A/P)

Data
Length: Approx. 22" (including picket)
Diameter: 2.8"
Total Weight: 4.6 pounds (mine only)
Explosive: Bohrpatrone 28
Explosive Weight: 100 g
Material: Concrete (shrapnel-filled) - wooden picket
Pull or Pressure required: 6 to 11 pounds
Fuzing: Z.Z. 42 (normal); Z.Z. 35; Z.U.Z.Z. 35.

Description
The mine consists of a concrete cylinder composed of weak cement and mortar, with the cement holding pieces of shrapnel. Inside the concrete cylinder is the explosive charge. Bohrpatrone 28 was used in the Stockmines found in North Africa, as it was designed for the tropics. The explosive charge could be substituted with an ordinary commercial charge. The igniter, attached to the detonator, fits into a recess in the top of the mine. The mine is mounted on a wooden picket and driven into the ground.

Operation
When the mine goes off, a belt of shrapnel is thrown out in all directions and the concrete is reduced to dust. Effective radius of approx. 30 yards.

Employment
Stockmines are usually laid in depth on narrow tracks and in ravines and defiles. They can also be laid in staggered rows to form mine belts.

Concrete Ball Mine (A/P)

Data
Diameter: 10"
Total Weight: Approx. 2.2 pounds
Color: Gray
Material: Concrete
Fuzing: ZDSCHN-ANZ 29

Description
The spherical shaped body of the mine consists of concrete with embedded shrapnel used as an aggregate. A central cavity is left to allow for the insertion of an explosive charge using either: Two 500g and One 200g charge, or One 500g charge with One 200g charge. In the latter set of explosives, the igniter assembly is countersunk into the mine.

Operation
The igniter may be pulled by hand, initiating the safety fuse which in turn fires the detonator and charge. In these cases, the mine may be rolled down a hill or cliff into enemy troops. It is also possible to peg the igniter to a stake below the bomb in such a way that if an attempt is made to remove the mine, the igniter will be actuated.

If you wish to download a copy of the PDF, please check out: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/TM/ or direct link: http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/TM/pdfs/TM9-1985-2-German.pdf

They have the Explosive Ordnace books listed under TM9-1985-X. The book I am currently reading, German Explosive Ordnance Part 1, is a 1953 print and the quality of the scanned document leaves a lot to be desired. I'll keep posting excerpts from the book(s), although I don't plan to post anything on fuzes, unless you guys want them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

cheerfullydrab posted:

Pretty sure WW2 Italian combat uniforms involved a necktie.

Patton made his dudes wear ties in North Africa but fortunately sanity eventually prevailed by the time Europe was invaded.

Patton was not nearly as good as he gets credit for and he was also a complete fuckin nutcase.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Azran posted:

We have a huge museum here with lots of sets of 16th century armor that have been proofshot. This is meant that these plates stop at least pistol shots. They're already so heavy that the armorer desperately had to safe weight by any means.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Azran posted:

:stare:

Good point - handheld gunpowder weapons? I know matchlocks and armor coexisted for some time in Japan, my question is mostly centered around Europe. :v:

Boy did they ever, mostly in the 16th and 17th centuries. I'm sure Hey Gal will be by to tell you all about this period and why it owns.

e: can someone who knows more about later periods tell me if Napoleonic cuirassier breastplates were any use against contemporary small arms, or were they just for deflecting lances/sabres?

P-Mack fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 4, 2015

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That's exactly what I meant. These sets have no armored boots, and leave out parts that don't need to be armored. Like the rear end.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The Soviets used breastplates until the end of WWII. It didn't make you invincible, but it could protect your organs from a pistol caliber bullet or a long range rifle shot, as well as miscellaneous fragments flying around. The morale effect from wearing one was reported to be good.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

You can still find this stuff in the East by digging almost anywhere.

Not only in the East. My home city in the North of Germany gets randomly every odd year or so an urban district evacuated because yet another bomb from WWII has been found in the ground.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you're building a house in central Europe it's easier to just call EOD when you're about to start digging.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

If you're building a house in central Europe it's easier to just call EOD when you're about to start digging.

It's actually mandatory in several countries.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

why is your period so fantastically nuts with the hats

For the common grunt, at least it makes you all look like grenadiers through the gun powder smoke. The elite guys and officers? I guess they were just trying to push military fashion to the edge of the envelope. I guess when you are personally paying the uniforms of yourself and the staff you might as well go full Murat with it all.

It was the biggest peacock mating display mankind ever has had since the 30 Years War. It was a good time to be a good middle class tailor in the 18th and early 19th century.

Sort of had to come to an end when these uniforms started maiming and over heating the soldiers on campaign.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Well, regular uniforms were a little more standardized than Hegel's period, so all the fanciness migrated in to hats. That's my theory.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well, regular uniforms were a little more standardized than Hegel's period, so all the fanciness migrated in to hats. That's my theory.

The secret hat rebellion of the past.

EDIT: For content, a YouTube video of some more screenshots of the Musashi wreck.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Mar 4, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

You can still find this stuff in the East by digging almost anywhere.

Three years ago, I was stuck on a lovely little provincial railyard five miles outside Augsburg for half a day. The reason? They found a 2000lb dud on a construction site next to the Augsburg railyard and had to shut down all rail traffic in and out of the place while bringing in the EOD guys.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Soviets used breastplates until the end of WWII. It didn't make you invincible, but it could protect your organs from a pistol caliber bullet or a long range rifle shot, as well as miscellaneous fragments flying around. The morale effect from wearing one was reported to be good.

Pistol caliber, as in SMG bullets, one of the more worrisome things in urban fighting!

Also: can anyone tell me if this is BS?

http://gizmodo.com/the-first-flying-wing-jet-could-have-won-wwii-for-the-n-1649401748

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

JcDent posted:

Also: can anyone tell me if this is BS?

"could have won WW2 for the Nazis"

Yes, it's bullshit.

But, if the pilot was gay, black, and named Adolf Hitler...

• Locked thread