Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gyshall posted:

For 6 CMC that is a pretty decent dragon, especially with the team haste and the second ability.

Stormbreath is still the king.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Wow Narset is crazy. Her -2 is kind of nuts and she starts with SIX at 4 CMC...

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 4, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
narset seems good :I

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Also also
Launch/Game day promos:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
How long before Narset is banned? That card is way too good.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
That Narset may honestly be what modern control needs. That card is so good.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
No way to protect herself, but 4 mana 6 loyalty and her abilities are pretty god drat good.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I can see Miracles running Narset. Rebounding spells is super good.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Ooh lala hello Narset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN9KpQCBolw

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

No way to protect herself, but 4 mana 6 loyalty and her abilities are pretty god drat good.

She comes down at SEVEN loyalty..... For 4 mana!

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Aah, Narset the Mind Sculptor.

I want them. Forever.

I'm willing to break my clause of not playing White for the remainder of this standard to play them.

At worst she comes down and gets downfalled but maybe replaces herself in your hand, I'm really digging her +1 by the way, it's Domri's for wizardry. At best she's a loving house and makes your most powerful spells cast twice for free.

I'm buying a box for sure now.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Narset is incredible, holy poo poo.

Also lol @ the art on Dragonlord's Servant

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like the existence of Narset because she's pretty good(although I don't think she's as good as most of you think she is because her +1 is roughly "flip a coin. If you win, draw a card"), but, while she's good in Limited, she's not some sort of insane bomb.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
That Narset value train is sick.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Narset is insane, but the -2 doesn't seem that great for straight up control because giving rebound to a counterspell or wrath does nothing. In a UWR counter-burn deck it seems very good though.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Terrible Horse posted:

Narset is insane, but the -2 doesn't seem that great for straight up control because giving rebound to a counterspell or wrath does nothing. In a UWR counter-burn deck it seems very good though.

Rebounding a wrath prevents them from playing a creature on their turn?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

The way she defends herself is being beefy as hell. I am definitely trying out some sort of Jeskai Control with that.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Terrible Horse posted:

In standard right now you could Rebound Crux of Fate if you really felt like it, which guarantees your opponent doesn't won't reload their board after you cast it.

Control likes when the opponent doesn't re-play poo poo after their wipe, right? Then there's also the Jeskai Control deck which would be throwing around charms, stokes, and the like. All of those seem like perfectly good targets.

Edit:
I think this is Wizards finally coming out and saying that they're not afraid to make powerful walkers anymore, Narset basically confirms we're going to probably see poo poo around this power level from now on.

Also, speculation time:

Sarkhan, Unbound will be R/G and cost 5 mana, after reading his story he seems more like a Temur clanmate than a Mardu one, and they've gone the way of Atarka, I hope for vomiting of dragons

Taigam will probably be replacing Narset as the Jeskai "Khan but not Khan" in the cycle.

The red 2/1 with Megamorph rare in that cycle is going to be a babby dragon and suck really badly.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 4, 2015

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

I like the existence of Narset because she's pretty good(although I don't think she's as good as most of you think she is because her +1 is roughly "flip a coin. If you win, draw a card"), but, while she's good in Limited, she's not some sort of insane bomb.

It's more like "Roll a die, if you roll a 1, 2, 3 or 4 draw a card."

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Ok I was wrong about Narset being a planeswalker, I still stand by my assessment that all the "evidence" was extremely flimsy and wishful thinking-y.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I was hoping that she would be tri-color, but I am really okay with this card. Narset is so awesome.

I need to read the Uncharted Realms, but it seems like not accessing the R mana that is inherently within her causes the spark? That would be a neat reason.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

It's more like "Roll a die, if you roll a 1, 2, 3 or 4 draw a card."

Hmm? Your deck is going to have 22-26 lands and some number of creatures.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

GonSmithe posted:

She doesn't even need to, she has six loving loyalty.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Count Bleck posted:

In standard right now you could Rebound Crux of Fate if you really felt like it, which guarantees your opponent doesn't won't reload their board after you cast it.

Control likes when the opponent doesn't re-play poo poo after their wipe, right?

Then there's also the Jeskai Control deck which would be throwing around charms, stokes, and the like.

All of those seem like perfectly good targets.

In standard Narset looks very good, I meant a UW modern control deck with verdicts etc.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

Hmm? Your deck is going to have 22-26 lands and some number of creatures.

The decks that play her don't want creatures. Maybe Jeskai Sage or something like that but not much more.

BTW She's even better in modern where people don't play Hero's Downfall.

Drider-Man
Jan 30, 2007

Drider-Man, Drider-Man
Does some things that a drider can.
Can he swing from a web?
Ask your DM
All I want to do now is cast treasure cruise with rebound.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

mcmagic posted:

The decks that play her don't want creatures. Maybe Jeskai Sage or something like that but not much more.

So you're running four of them and 16 lands then for your dice analogy to work?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Cool skeleton.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The creatures in a deck she's in are going to be goblin tokens.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

mcmagic posted:

If your only creature in Standard is Jeskai Sage, how do you plan on winning the game? In older formats, you're going to run at least Snapcaster.

Regardless, we're nitpicking.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Terrible Horse posted:

In standard Narset looks very good, I meant a UW modern control deck with verdicts etc.

The way U/W Control looks in Modern, I have to agree.

I mean I'd personally like to -2 her, Serum Visions, and then potentially scry my wincon to the top and draw 1 scry 2, draw 1 next turn.

That sounds powerful as gently caress and I'm so glad she exists.

DarkRider09 posted:

All I want to do now is cast treasure cruise with rebound.

The vaaaaluuuue.

It's like I delve for Cruise and then it Delves itself and casts for free.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Holy jesus, Narset is insane. If people start playing more UW in my area I'm gonna have to hold a hero's downfall in hand forever just to deal with her asap. That ult is murder. Wonder if you could do an esper control thing with Sorin?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Narset has the aspergers

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Elyv posted:

If your only creature in Standard is Jeskai Sage, how do you plan on winning the game? In older formats, you're going to run at least Snapcaster.

Regardless, we're nitpicking.

Ugin? Narset's ultimate? Burn?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Abzan Midrange or UW Control, which durdle do you like best?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm not quite sure Narset is a control card.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

Rebounding a wrath prevents them from playing a creature on their turn?

This is my dream :swoon:

I like the tradition of u/w walkers not providing immediate board value on their own.

God I want to play with this card so much I might have to play standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Elyv posted:

gently caress off this hype train has NO stops.

• Locked thread