Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
𝖉𝖊𝖍𝖚𝖒𝖆𝖓𝖎𝖟𝖊 𝖞𝖔𝖚𝖗𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖋 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖋𝖆𝖈𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝖇𝖎𝖐𝖊𝖘𝖍𝖊𝖉

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

bucketmouse posted:

from looking through it while trying to figure out how to port over random functionality the slowdown seems to be because a big chunk of the template functions do something like this for every single variable:

code:

template <typename TT>
TT double_number(const TT &number)
{
TT Number = TT(number);
return Number * 2;
}

e: ^ gangtag owns
e2 : i wonder if the slowdown is a vc compiler thing and other better compilers would optimize Number out due to it being a init-from-const whose value never changes

tl;dr: it's not just a vc compiler thing

c++ has very rigid behavioral semantics: the language gives precise rules for deciding which operator or constructor or whatever any particular code is using, and the implementation has to do exactly that. for example, the compiler can't assume that it's okay to use a move constructor instead of a copy constructor just because it sees that the original object is about to be destroyed, or a copy constructor instead a copy assignment operator just because it sees that you never used the old value in the variable. you wrote something, type-checking says it's implemented by calling such-and -such function, the compiler has to assume that calling some other function might have completely different semantics, no matter how related they might seem

in general this extends to order of execution as well. if two things are sequenced, they have to happen in that order, no matter how unrelated they might seem. the language says that you destroy local variables in the reverse order of their construction as you leave a scope, and it says that the operand of a return statement is evaluated within the scope in which it appears, and that means that those local variables must still exist during that evaluation

there are a few different things that let the compiler optimize despite that:
  • some things aren't sequenced, like different call arguments, and the compiler can do those in whatever order it feels like; sometimes that helps.
  • some things have special language rules which override the general semantics, like copy-elision and NRVO, which allow the compiler to eliminate temporary objects (for different definitions of temporary) in very specific situations, even if it's user-visible. but the situations are very specific and basically syntax-directed
  • "as if" lets the compiler do anything if the program can't (legally) observe the difference, but that's surprisingly difficult for non-POD objects that e.g. allocate memory in their constructors and get passed to lots of interesting code
  • you can always hack knowledge of a type and its operations specially into the compiler (or provide high-level rewrite rules, like GHC does)

in your example, the formal series of operations is: construct a temporary from const lvalue "number", construct "Number" from rvalue temporary, destroy temporary, call operator* with address of "Number" (assuming it takes it by const reference) and consider the result to be another temporary, construct function result from rvalue temporary, destroy temporary, destroy "Number", return. both the temporaries are elidable, but "Number" is not. even if inlining shows that "number" is clearly bound to a temporary, tough luck, you're still constructing "Number"; and you're copy-constructing it, not move-constructing

now, if the matrix happens to be POD — if it stores its elements in a big inline array — the compiler has a chance of being smart about this, because compilers are sometimes smart about memcpys; but if it stores its data on the heap, you are probably screwed. but regardless you are screwed in unoptimized builds, presumably as in your test suite; compilers will do copy-elision and NRVO because they are easy and essentially amount to language guarantees, but they do not do interprocedural analysis and copy propagation because not doing that poo poo is what makes it an unoptimized build

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Eclipse is a POS

code:
>git diff
>
diff --git a/fart/.gitignore b/fart/.gitignore
--- a/fart/.gitignore
+++ b/fart/.gitignore
@@ -2,3 +2,82 @@ bin/
 lib
 build/
 dist/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/build/
+/dist/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
never use an ide

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

rjmccall posted:

in general this extends to order of execution as well. if two things are sequenced, they have to happen in that order, no matter how unrelated they might seem. the language says that you destroy local variables in the reverse order of their construction as you leave a scope, and it says that the operand of a return statement is evaluated within the scope in which it appears, and that means that those local variables must still exist during that evaluation

is this more true of c++ than c? my understanding was that a c compiler can reorder anything that doesn't change the program's observable behavior, including some things the programmer might not expect to be reordered. are the rules stricter in c++ because of destructors etc?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

i dont get how eclipse would want to add so many of the entry though. eclipse devs are smokign some dank poo poo i guess

DimpledChad
May 14, 2002
Rigging elections since '87.

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

never use a text editor

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JewKiller 3000 posted:

is this more true of c++ than c? my understanding was that a c compiler can reorder anything that doesn't change the program's observable behavior, including some things the programmer might not expect to be reordered. are the rules stricter in c++ because of destructors etc?

you can always do anything that doesn't change the program's observable behavior, in any language.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bobbilljim posted:

Eclipse is a POS

code:
>git diff
>
diff --git a/fart/.gitignore b/fart/.gitignore
--- a/fart/.gitignore
+++ b/fart/.gitignore
@@ -2,3 +2,82 @@ bin/
 lib
 build/
 dist/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/build/
+/dist/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/
+/bin/

that's not an eclipse problem. none of those are valid java folder names.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also lol don't use git

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Subjunctive posted:

you can always do anything that doesn't change the program's observable behavior, in any language.

so in haskell i can just delete the entire program? :v:

hmm, checks out

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Shaggar posted:

that's not an eclipse problem. none of those are valid java folder names.

sorry for expecting the eclipse git plugin to not poo poo itself :rolleyes:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

lol if you're not manually hand-charging every bit in the register to the proper voltage of 1.374V to achieve the bespoke artisinal computations society needs

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Necc0 posted:

lol if you're not manually hand-charging every bit in the register to the proper voltage of 1.374V to achieve the bespoke artisinal computations society needs

lol, i'm the 1.374 volt logic.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
they're getting pretty low nowadays but idk what the standard actually is when i was still in school it was ~2.5

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
oh turns out they're even lower now lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JewKiller 3000 posted:

so in haskell i can just delete the entire program? :v:

hmm, checks out

no side-effects, no conviction

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
haskell has side effects it's called virginity lol

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

JewKiller 3000 posted:

like subjunctive said, the implementation can do anything it wants if you're not legally allowed to observe the difference

there's no major difference between c and c++ on this point, but that's kindof my point. c's implicit behavior is basically restricted to fitting scalars to the size of the type you're trying to shove them into. c++ turns innocuous bits of syntax into function calls with arbitrary side-effects, but for the most part, the semantics are exactly as if you'd written those calls out in c: the compiler has to execute exactly those calls in exactly that order, unless it can prove that moving them around or doing something different has no observable effect. so e.g. that's why you sometimes have to tell the compiler what to do with std::move

whereas in contrast, swift says a value is a value, i'm doing whatever i want, if you've got crazy dependencies between values you'd better own up; so if you pass the value of some local variable to a function and then never use that variable again the compiler will just hand that value straight to the function instead of copying it, formal lifetimes be damned. that's why swift has value types but isn't completely dependent on an explicit move operation

and we can be much more aggressive about this kind of thing precisely because we're statically compiled and don't use gc, because if we were making these optimizations dynamically and your code was subtly broken (or ours was) it would be way more likely to only blow up in crazy nondeterministic situations and it would be completely impossible for normal developers to ever figure out what was wrong by direct debugging

that turned more into a rant about swift than about c++ at the end

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
swift doesn't use gc? what does it use, then? I don't have to allocate and free memory manually.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
automatic reference counting, essentially like objc but with conventions that are better for being enforced by a compiler. it gets screwed by reference cycles the same as objc (and plenty of other languages). you can even switch to manual reference counting with Unmanaged<T> if you want

"gc" is generally reserved for something that analyzes the actual object reference graph and is capable of deallocating objects even if they're part of a reference cycle. at its core this always involves walking the heap following references, usually asynchronously or at least unpredictably, although most of the last 20+ years of research in gc has been focused on doing fewer complete heap walks or doing them iteratively or at least not needing to shut down the rest of the process while they're happening

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

i am a bad programmer, i don't know how to use multithreading and i am using stuff like
code:
mySlider.valueProperty().addListener((observable, oldValue, newValue) -> {  ...my slider jamz... });

but maybe without the lambda function because i have no idea how that works either. also no one i've talked to that Knows Java knows how to use them so maybe I am just a teardrop in the ocean of badprogrammers around me? also I use eclipse and javafx (which i am pretty sure is just oracle acknowledging that there's a ton of java developers that are too bad to use html5 or whatevs)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

reference counting (especially compiler-managed) is GC: dynamic maintenance of object lifecycles. it can give you pauses and heap thrash and all that, conservative marking rhymes with reference cycles, we are all one indeterminate finalization order under jones&lins.

it's more similar to mark-and-sweep than to malloc/free in programming model.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Subjunctive posted:

reference counting (especially compiler-managed) is GC: dynamic maintenance of object lifecycles. it can give you pauses and heap thrash and all that, conservative marking rhymes with reference cycles, we are all one indeterminate finalization order under jones&lins.

it's more similar to mark-and-sweep than to malloc/free in programming model.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~cs415/reading/bacon-garbage.pdf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, it's a great paper.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

haskell has side effects it's called virginity lol

in other words, it enforces purity?

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, it's a great paper.

i agree that it's a cool paper, but i don't really agree with unifying the terms, and i would still argue that a ref-counting model is prone to cause deterministic, immediate finalization in ways that expose mistakes much more reliably than the alternatives, even if the inter-ordering of finalizers is still too complex to reasonably understand

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
it's almost like there are no perfect solutions when it comes to gc and it's up to the developer to choose the best model for their particular needs :shobon:

ref count supremacy

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

drat

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
god VBA is such a piece of poo poo

some of the students today wrote stuff like "Dim range As Range". fair enough. not the best name but whatever. now however because vba is sometimes case-sensitive and sometimes case-insensitive, and the auto-correct is insensitive, Range will correct to range. range is not a valid type but Range is. this will cause an error because it expected a type where there's a variable name.

this will continue to happen even if you rename the range variable to something else, auto-correct remembers

this will continue to happen even after closing and reopening excel.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Marzzle posted:

i am a bad programmer, i don't know how to use multithreading and i am using stuff like
code:
mySlider.valueProperty().addListener((observable, oldValue, newValue) -> {  ...my slider jamz... });

but maybe without the lambda function because i have no idea how that works either. also no one i've talked to that Knows Java knows how to use them so maybe I am just a teardrop in the ocean of badprogrammers around me? also I use eclipse and javafx (which i am pretty sure is just oracle acknowledging that there's a ton of java developers that are too bad to use html5 or whatevs)

101 multithreading : don't let threads touch except where they are explicitly allowed. pick the one or two places to exchange info and touch nothing else
102 multithreading : don't use threads explicitly. fumbling around in the "compile->run->check" cycle does not make threaded code that consistently works.

in your case you want to use SwingWorkers as the threads. there's a tutorial, go read it

e: all the GC chat tricked me into thinking this was the other thread

Brain Candy fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 4, 2015

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gonadic io posted:

god VBA is such a piece of poo poo

some of the students today wrote stuff like "Dim range As Range". fair enough. not the best name but whatever. now however because vba is sometimes case-sensitive and sometimes case-insensitive, and the auto-correct is insensitive, Range will correct to range. range is not a valid type but Range is. this will cause an error because it expected a type where there's a variable name.

this will continue to happen even if you rename the range variable to something else, auto-correct remembers

this will continue to happen even after closing and reopening excel.

ahhhhh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i've never seen anyone defend refcount gc before

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rjmccall posted:

i agree that it's a cool paper, but i don't really agree with unifying the terms, and i would still argue that a ref-counting model is prone to cause deterministic, immediate finalization in ways that expose mistakes much more reliably than the alternatives, even if the inter-ordering of finalizers is still too complex to reasonably understand

i was always told not to rely on finalizers in java, because they might not run

what is up with your code that you require certain finalization

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i've never seen anyone defend refcount gc before

it's real simple to implement, cycles aren't that common (i've rarely had to use a weakref/ephemeron), has predictable runtime behaviour

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
finalizers in java will run if the objects gets GCed but when and if that happens is always up in the air so don't rely on them.

apparently java has some really kludgy implementation of the IDisposable/using pattern. Your object implements AutoClosable and you create it in a try-with-resources block.

its just like java lambdas. a good idea copied from c# without taking usability into account.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Shaggar posted:

its just like java... a ... idea ... without taking usability into account.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

tef posted:

it's real simple to implement, cycles aren't that common (i've rarely had to use a weakref/ephemeron), has predictable runtime behaviour

it's definitely not predictable runtime behavior. dropping the last ref happens unpredictably, and can lead to arbitrary computation (most often a cascade of decrefing destructors paging in your otherwise-dead heap, sometimes flushing buffers and similar). we had problems like this in Firefox where something would get evicted from the document cache and cause a pause while it was torn down, in the middle of an otherwise-innocuous operation.

the real advantage of refcounting, IMO, is that you get prompt reclamation.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Marzzle posted:

maybe I am just a teardrop in the ocean of badprogrammers around me?

its this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Subjunctive posted:

it's definitely not predictable runtime behavior. dropping the last ref happens unpredictably, and can lead to arbitrary computation (most often a cascade of decrefing destructors paging in your otherwise-dead heap, sometimes flushing buffers and similar). we had problems like this in Firefox where something would get evicted from the document cache and cause a pause while it was torn down, in the middle of an otherwise-innocuous operation.

yeah but firefox isn't exactly a canonical example,

refcounts works on my machine

quote:

the real advantage of refcounting, IMO, is that you get prompt reclamation.

same, this was the "predictable" part i was meaning

tef fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 4, 2015

• Locked thread