Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

quote:

XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam X-1 Custom Custom "Skull Heart" [Full Cloth] (Crossbone)

That was basically an entire episode of "hey, did you know the Crossbone could do this?", so I loved it. With that said, they got something wrong; while the Full Cloth does have I-field generators on the shoulders, they're actually the four upper portions of the cape. The skulls are just oversized boxing gloves.

I assume the writer was confused by the RD, where the barrier effect parts plug into the skulls.

I was wondering if they'd acknowledge that the Full Cloth has, well, the Full Cloth at the end when that giant beam struck, so I laughed really hard when they showed that yes, the anti beam mantle took most of the damage. And then he just lost anyway. :geno:

Overall that was a really solid episode, despite obvious budget issues. Hopefully the quality keeps up till the end now that we're on a straight stretch to the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

BlitzBlast posted:

That was basically an entire episode of "hey, did you know the Crossbone could do this?", so I loved it. With that said, they got something wrong; while the Full Cloth does have I-field generators on the shoulders, they're actually the four upper portions of the cape. The skulls are just oversized boxing gloves.

The skull heads actually are the I-Field generators, though; each skull has two I-Fields in it. The entire point of the skulls becoming boxing gloves is so it can shield itself while I-Field punching things. Skull Head Unit and all that. The cape is just a fully detachable ABC Mantle.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 4, 2015

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think he won the match. It looked like the age-old samurai duel "one just gets injured, the other falls over" thing. Not that it particularly matters either way.

I don't know why they even try to play that as a suspense thing anymore, because it's become such a standard thing to have the one who looks like they lost be the one who actually won when framed in that context that just seeing it robs any suspense. It would be nice to see someone subvert it though. Not a bad episode, but the budget issues robbed the fight of a lot of it's impact to the point that the Haro repair bots were my favorite part of it. THE END biting the Geara Doga's head off was cool though. It was nice to see Sekai doing some gunpla building and helping out a little though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I went and checked the MG manual and huh. You're right. I'm not even sure where I got confused about this.

Anyways silliest part of this episode was the Crossbone running out of fuel despite not doing anything particularly impressive and being, you know, a Crossbone. Designed to minimize fuel use and work around Jupiter's gravity field? Ringing any bells writers?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

BlitzBlast posted:

I went and checked the MG manual and huh. You're right. I'm not even sure where I got confused about this.

Anyways silliest part of this episode was the Crossbone running out of fuel despite not doing anything particularly impressive and being, you know, a Crossbone. Designed to minimize fuel use and work around Jupiter's gravity field? Ringing any bells writers?

To be fair the Full Cloth went full 'bolt whatever the hell we can find on' instead of following the original design philosophy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I think the idea is that the Crossbone is just absurdly tremendously high output at the cost of running out of particles really quickly. It's basically always in Trans Am mode. It basically is exchanging running time for incredibly high output.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I think the idea is that the Crossbone is just absurdly tremendously high output at the cost of running out of particles really quickly. It's basically always in Trans Am mode. It basically is exchanging running time for incredibly high output.

Plus the Gunpla Academy are all crazy-strong. Just stopping any of their attacks is probably a feat in itself and a massive particle drain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Right, yeah. That's how it was putting the hurt on the Gunpla Academy's ludicrously high-spec suits so easily.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

BlitzBlast posted:

I assume the writer was confused by the RD, where the barrier effect parts plug into the skulls.

I was wondering if they'd acknowledge that the Full Cloth has, well, the Full Cloth at the end when that giant beam struck, so I laughed really hard when they showed that yes, the anti beam mantle took most of the damage. And then he just lost anyway. :geno:

Overall that was a really solid episode, despite obvious budget issues. Hopefully the quality keeps up till the end now that we're on a straight stretch to the finish.

What's more, they actually STILL left a couple things out. The Crossbone X-1, even the Full Cloth, has the Beam Zanber and Buster Gun ("flintlock" pistol) which can combine into the Zanbuster, which while not as powerful as that huge fuckoff Murasama sword, is still fairly strong. Compounding this, the Crossbones technically have a "super mode" of sorts modeled after the F91's (though without the afterimages with mass thing). It opens up the mouthplate and increases speed significantly.

That was a pretty decent match and I'm kinda taking it that the Crossbone still survived the blow but couldn't continue the match. And at least they attempted to show the other team members being useful instead of just being cannon fodder that dies faster than a Redshirt on an away mission.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Seriously though, what I think actually happened was that the Full Cloth used up most of its particles blocking the Transient's doom laser (incidentally I guess the Transient is just straight up a magical girl), and then never really got the space to fully recharge afterwards.

Though if we're talking particle supply then it's kind of silly the Transient can just bust out a doom laser and not even care.

StrifeHira posted:

Compounding this, the Crossbones technically have a "super mode" of sorts modeled after the F91's (though without the afterimages with mass thing). It opens up the mouthplate and increases speed significantly.

He did at the end.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Seriously though, what I think actually happened was that the Full Cloth used up most of its particles blocking the Transient's doom laser (incidentally I guess the Transient is just straight up a magical girl), and then never really got the space to fully recharge afterwards.

Though if we're talking particle supply then it's kind of silly the Transient can just bust out a doom laser and not even care.

He did at the end.

Huh, must have blinked and missed that. Point stands, the Crossbones are crazy suits, packed to the teeth like some sort of Swiss Army Gundams.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
"We've fought that guy before, we know there's a chance for a stunning upset!"

LOL no.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It was kind of neat that the mook teammates could recharge the suit while he was out in the core fighter, although fighting in that thing is a huge risk.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What the gently caress was that stage? What Gundam series had floating islands?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If it could be less than 0% it would be that.

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing he might do is take down Fumina or Sekai. He ain't winnin' the match.

Raxivace posted:

The chances of Tryon 3 winning are zero, aren't they. :smith:

He's Mao's student. While he's a million times more likable than Mao he basically had DEADMEAT written on his birth certificate.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Khisanth Magus posted:

It was kind of neat that the mook teammates could recharge the suit while he was out in the core fighter, although fighting in that thing is a huge risk.

That bit where he was looking at the different people on the team and selected the ones who would work best for his strategy could've been cool, if we'd gotten to see him have more than one fight. Another fight with different team members and a different strategy would've been really neat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

StrifeHira posted:

Huh, must have blinked and missed that. Point stands, the Crossbones are crazy suits, packed to the teeth like some sort of Swiss Army Gundams.

The original X1 and X2, stripped of the silly pirate motif, are actually pretty bog-standard basic high performance Gundams. X1 has a slight close combat bent and X2 has a slight ranged bent but they pretty much stick to the standard beam rifle/beam saber style of armament(well, X2 has a shot lancer but those were pretty common in F91/Crossbone). X3 starts the ridiculous crazy train with the Muramasa Blaster(a solid blade with 16 beam saber emitters attached to it) and its personal I-Fields, X1 Kai pulls out crazy drill whips, and X1 Skull Heart/Full Cloth is pretty much just all the X3's gimmicks bolted to the X1 Kai with the big stacked beam cannon thing(Peacock Smasher!) added on top.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

That's sort of the problem with Crossbone in Try. In Season 1 it would have made a lot of sense and basically been a counterpart to the particle-absorbing or manipulating gimmicks of other characters. Season 2 has a lot more "we bust out huge tremendous power sources without any real issue" characters. (Sekai can at least be excused by seemingly having a particle-generating Arista inside his robot.)

Crossbone Full Cloth really does feel more like a Season 1 suit. Lots of gimmicks backing a high-talent fighting style with significant weaknesses the enemy can exploit. The only thing that really feels weird about it is that it isn't customized at all. I kept expecting some twist to it but, nope, it's just a really well built Crossbone. (I mean, it's customized in that it has a core fighter when that isn't part of the actual model but still.)

I like swiss army Gundams that fight with weird tactics instead of big lasers, I admit. I wish the episode hadn't been so Godmars because I liked the Crossbone more here than I have before.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope Sekai goes too hard on the Arista and Reiji and Aila get summoned in the middle of a match. They just pile out of the Try Burning's chest like a reverse clown car.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
So does the gunpla academy have infinite particles

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Good episode, good fight. Also, I appreciate the irony of Lucas Nemesis being brought in as a ringer to help some other organization win a Gunpla tournament, only to be eliminated after making Top 4.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Lessail posted:

So does the gunpla academy have infinite particles

The Haro bots are doing it. They're generating particles.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing that really feels weird about it is that it isn't customized at all. I kept expecting some twist to it but, nope, it's just a really well built Crossbone.

Same goes for the F91 Imagine. v:shobon:v

Jury's still out on whether the face vent beam was a customization or the writers just going with the general misunderstanding of what the F91 was doing in the final clash with the Rafflesia.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

ImpAtom posted:

The only thing he might do is take down Fumina or Sekai. He ain't winnin' the match.

I really hope that he does down the Try Burning. Having the spare parts for it hopefully means that we will get more damage to it.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The Haro bots are doing it. They're generating particles.

Hmmm haro bots are good so I accept

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I really hope that he does down the Try Burning. Having the spare parts for it hopefully means that we will get more damage to it.

Probably not too much more, they have parts for an arm and legs I think and maybe some of the head left.

The fight was pretty decent, but as Imp said, they really didn't show the Full Cloth actually DOING that much. It did make me really like the Portent and The End though.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Kanos posted:

The original X1 and X2, stripped of the silly pirate motif, are actually pretty bog-standard basic high performance Gundams. X1 has a slight close combat bent and X2 has a slight ranged bent but they pretty much stick to the standard beam rifle/beam saber style of armament(well, X2 has a shot lancer but those were pretty common in F91/Crossbone). X3 starts the ridiculous crazy train with the Muramasa Blaster(a solid blade with 16 beam saber emitters attached to it) and its personal I-Fields, X1 Kai pulls out crazy drill whips, and X1 Skull Heart/Full Cloth is pretty much just all the X3's gimmicks bolted to the X1 Kai with the big stacked beam cannon thing(Peacock Smasher!) added on top.

They still have all that extra equipment packed into their frames. And their Beam Zanbers actually cut through other Beam Sabers. They're definitely high-performance, but I'd say they're more than just the bog-standard. And of course this all gets even crazier with the ones introduced in Ghost. The X-0 is closer to the X-1 and X-2, save its guns and sabers being combined into one paired set, but the Phantom is where things get even sillier. It has, among other things, a Wings of Light prototype that makes it look like it's on fire (complete with flaming V-fin), a combined Murasama and Peacock Smasher weapon, and a rather silly "flight mode" of sorts. And then they upgrade it with liberal amounts of Anti-Beam coating, just for good measure.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

kijima and fumina should be the next meijins imo

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

Lessail posted:

kijima and fumina should be the next meijins imo

Fumina and Sakai. GUNPLA IS FREEDOM. Meijin said so. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StrifeHira posted:

Fumina and Sakai. GUNPLA IS FREEDOM. Meijin said so. :colbert:

So the next Meijin is Kira Yamato.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Every episode Celestial Sphere gets, I get more confused in how the gently caress is Try supposed to beat them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yelling and fighting spirit.

Also Sekai is piloting probably the most broken machine in the tournament.

EDIT: The TB's one flaw is that its pilot sucks, really.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 4, 2015

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Was anyone actually invested in Kijima winning this one? They're both identical super-powerful smug rivals who have a smug-duel I'm supposed to buy as honorable and emotional, and they've both told the protagonists that they're looking forward to finally having a decent battle (even simultaneously, at the beginning of this episode), so I don't really care which one Sekai beats up (not that it was even in question to begin with). Nemesis hasn't even told one of his teammates to solo an entire enemy team because he couldn't be assed, so really, he's the more honorable smug rival here.

That's what gets me about the rivals in this season. They're all so smug. Sakai's the only one who has to give a drat, so he's sure to be the weakest.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ahahahaha I just realized that Sei basically designed the Build Burning to only be limited by its user's imagination.

So of course it ends up with the dude who can think of nothing but martial arts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

Was anyone actually invested in Kijima winning this one? They're both identical super-powerful smug rivals who have a smug-duel I'm supposed to buy as honorable and emotional, and they've both told the protagonists that they're looking forward to finally having a decent battle (even simultaneously, at the beginning of this episode), so I don't really care which one Sekai beats up (not that it was even in question to begin with). Nemesis hasn't even told one of his teammates to solo an entire enemy team because he couldn't be assed, so really, he's the more honorable smug rival here.

That's what gets me about the rivals in this season. They're all so smug. Sakai's the only one who has to give a drat, so he's sure to be the weakest.

I think the thing that stood out to me most about this episode is that they didn't even care about fighting each other.

When the lineups were announced literally everyone went I'M JUST HERE TO FIGHT SEKAI.

Julian and the Renato Brothers at least had actual reasons to fight the guy they were fighting. Both Kijima and Lucas basically viewed the other as a stepping stone on their way to Sekaifight.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I mean I don't even mind Sekai himself that much even now, but there's only one rival with anything going on other than "yes slake my boredom my worthy rival for I am too good for anyone but you" and even that's all on the novelty of Invincible Gundam Man Tryon 3.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Why is everyone so desperate to fight Sekai anyway, it's not like he's been appreciably better than any of the other main top four team characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caphi posted:

I mean I don't even mind Sekai himself that much even now, but there's only one rival with anything going on other than "yes slake my boredom my worthy rival for I am too good for anyone but you" and even that's all on the novelty of Invincible Gundam Man Tryon 3.

I said it before but almost every rival they have is the same character except Sakai. Even Fumina's rival is only a minor deviation. They're all really pretty interchangable.

It's like they learned the wrong lesson for the Meijin last season and tried to make everyone like him without the irony.

Sakurazuka posted:

Why is everyone so desperate to fight Sekai anyway, it's not like he's been appreciably better than any of the other main top four team characters.

His burning passion.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They are under the mistaken impression that he has something to do with his Gunpla's build quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Speaking of Sakai, something that continues to bug me is how we're supposed to believe he's totally best buds with his school's gunpla club, but it has always felt really fake. I'm willing to take the show at its word, but they put no effort at all into making it convincing. In fact now that I think about it, Try just overall doesn't really seem to care about any of its characters.

• Locked thread