Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So much happened in this episode, you'd think it was the climax. But there are still 3 episodes left.

I have a strange feeling that Yuriika isn't going to survive the next episode, and the final episodes will deal with the Severance Court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well now, looks like the powers that be are actively trying to create an acceptably tragic lesbian romance. And that's how Yuriika fits into the whole victim-becomes-victimiser thing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha I just read Yurika's full name.

e-Yurika Insidebox

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 24, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Welp, I finally got around to watching this episode.

lol subtle

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Here's the Ekens and Creamer writeups. It does definitely seem like the star motif is becoming something along the lines of the bird motif - a socially-acceptable ideal that betrays and destroys whoever seeks it, but for true love rather than proper femininity. Ginko had better get rid of that necklace fast. It's also interesting to see more evidence of the Court of Yuri allowing only predatory bears to engage in physical passion.

Oh, and in other translator errors, Mirun is Milne. As in, A. A. Milne, author of Winnie the Pooh.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Looks like someone has picked up translating the manga, chapter 3 just popped up.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/yuri-kuma-arashi-r11480

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
That's good! I remember the terribly long wait between chapters 1 and 2. Hopefully the wait from now on is a lot shorter than "once a whenever we feel like it"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Was that really the best time to bring that up Lulu?

gif roundup

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

a kitten posted:

Was that really the best time to bring that up Lulu?
She just wants Genki to get her promise kiss.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lulu was obviously cursed by the gods of dramatic irony to only say things at the worst possible time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Lulu was obviously cursed by the gods of dramatic irony to only say things at the worst possible time.

She has to have known what she was doing. You don't escalate a situation with an inflammatory revelation when one party's got a gun. You just don't.

I'm guessing that either Ginko's crime was that awful, or she thought it would actually raise her friend's stock with Kureha somehow.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Season two upgrades.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Kuma shock and awe.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

No episode today. :(

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

No episode today. :(

There was technically it just consisted of the voice actors dressed off as the characters, doing some interviews and showing off the stuffed bears. It also had ep9s preview. Spoilers

Spoilers! Yurizono is still alive, It looks like Ginko tanked the shot and was shown with more bandages or thats a fake out from her previous wounds, Lulu wasn't anywhere in it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol lets end on a cliffhanger then not have an episode for two weeks.

Trolled by Ikuhara again.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

a kitten posted:

gif roundup

Even with all this, I've yet to see a gif that grabs me and makes me want a new Ikuhara avatar enough to make it happen.

Except for yours Sakurazuka, God drat you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Guess you'll just have to... grin and bear it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Another gif:

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Truga posted:

Another gif:

Kuma Shock!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I know batshit crazy is the norm, but is this show getting anywhere yet?

Rangpur posted:

So I am an episode behind, then. I'll catch up later. Nice to see the show's actually going somewhere though, and not where I'd have predicted either.

Thing is, the first three episodes collectively don't amount to much. You can give the first one a pass because, well, it's the first episode and it provides the context and setting for future developments. But the next two really should have been one episode even if that meant writing Kanae out of the story--there's too much padding between them and it delays the part of the show where they actually start adding shades of emotional depth to the cast.

Answers it. We'll pick up again from 4 or 5.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 4, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The last five minutes of the recent episode was one of the most amazing trolls I've seen in a while. We have two weeks until the next ep?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It'll be Monday (the 9th) afaik, so two weeks from when that ep aired.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Excellent, now to catch up on Rolling Girls.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Well that happened.

We're basically out of antagonists, now. Just have the Invisible Storm and the Yuri Court left, I guess. Unless they swerve us and Lulu is the final villain.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Senerio posted:

Well that happened.

We're basically out of antagonists, now. Just have the Invisible Storm and the Yuri Court left, I guess. Unless they swerve us and Lulu is the final villain.

Technically speaking, Ginko should be the antagonist, since she seems to have fallen into base desires, which seems to be the point of that Yurizono scene .

e- I do like that its pretty much official that people have crazy yuri dreams during near death experiences.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 9, 2015

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Technically speaking, Ginko should be the antagonist, since she seems to have fallen into base desires, which seems to be the point of that Yurizono scene .

e- I do like that its pretty much official that people have crazy yuri dreams during near death experiences.
Given all the stuff in past episodes, I think the explicit stuff about it being the gate of friends or whatever, and the way the court bears are talking about things going as Kumaria wills, Ginko's basically acting as an agent of some outside force. We didn't get anything quite as over-the-top as the red eyes in past episodes, even when Kureha's mom got eaten, and there was a lot of time spent in this episode walking up to that moment. If it was meant to be as simple as 'Ginko's totally going to eat her now, because she hasn't been paying any attention to past events' I don't think there would have been that much setup and framing. The whole arc of the past few episodes (especially now that we have the fill-in for past events) has been about Ginko learning from her mistakes and taking the right path going forward, so it would be kinda stupid to instantly reverse that here. There's a similar arc for Kureha here too and by the end of the episode Ikuhara's basically taken her to the point where there's no excuse for writing her as clueless or guileless anymore.

edit #2: oh right, and the recurring use of 'desire' probably indicates significance. The last time we saw it (I think?) was when Lulu kept trying to murder her little brother, and that whole 'desire' motif was associated with the red light circling lulu (though I guess it was a wasp, or something?)

edit: my favorite part of the episode is how we got a court bear delivering exposition while shamelessly ogling the lesbians going at it in the school. I feel like that guy's probably an Ikuhara proxy, but maybe that's too direct...

Kaelan Zero fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 9, 2015

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

so are the goons who watch this furries, or are they just pedophiles

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

BaylonGreyjoyDies posted:

I mean my guess would be that the people who watch this are people.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Yes.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I liked how Ginko was totally called out on ignoring Lulu's feelings, since it kind of is a lovely thing to do and because Lulu is great. Even though I doubt that was why Lulu felt like she had to ruin things on the roof. She knew Ginko wanted Kureha from the start and was pretty much cool with it, but she still deserves to get some love shown back to her.

I liked the reveal here too, since it made Ginko a bad person and justifiably feel guilty while still being redeemable and it was an understandable thing for someone to do. I'm not sure if she froze up and just didn't warn Sumika in time, only getting there after she was dead or if she chose not to warn her, followed her there and just watched everything.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 10, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lollin at the 'Door of Friends' is that Ikuhara for getting friendzoned?

why choose?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

lollin at the 'Door of Friends' is that Ikuhara for getting friendzoned?

why choose?

'Friends' is pretty euphemistic in this series. As the scene at the Door of Friends duly demonstrated.

'The Door of Socially-Unacceptable Lesbian Sex' wouldn't have looked so good on the tourist brochures, I guess.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Mar 10, 2015

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honestly not that convinced that 'friends' is euphemistic at all, if anything it's another reference to Marimite style intense but platonic friendship rubbish.
Like the closest the shows gotten to an actual lesbian relationship is those two girls in the nurses office and that was seen through the eyes of Ikuhara's self insert character.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 10, 2015

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Who is Ikuhara's self-insert? Is that me?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Shaba-da-doo...

gonna say this next time something disappointing happens

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Beef Waifu posted:

Not convinced you're sexy enough, sorry.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Beef Waifu posted:

Requesting Vocaroo of your best Life Sexy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Honestly not that convinced that 'friends' is euphemistic at all, if anything it's another reference to Marimite style intense but platonic friendship rubbish.
Like the closest the shows gotten to an actual lesbian relationship is those two girls in the nurses office and that was seen through the eyes of Ikuhara's self insert character.

We saw Kureha and Sumika naked in bed reading a book together. If that was a platonic relationship, it was hella short on barriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Okay, they're in bed and what are they doing? They're reading a book. It's still being presented as a chaste or 'pure' relationship, which is a trap a lot of bad yuri stories fall in to.

Honestly I could be wrong, though, I have only vague memories of that scene and a lot would be in how it's presented.

• Locked thread