Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
After adding most of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers to my cart (I bought Infinity and my friend gifted me the first volume of both titles), I realized a) how many issues behind I am, b) $4/issue really adds up, and c) Marvel doesn't seem to discount things six months after they come out. I think I'm going to get a month of Marvel Unlimited and catch up over there, instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

gfanikf posted:

This sale is going to lead to some ridiculous possibilities....like all of Hickman FF run....of course it's probably still more then getting a used hardcover...but eh.

Yeah I just did that.

I'm thinking of trying to get the Kirby/Lee FF run or the Busiek Avengers run before the sale closes. How's the latter?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Uthor posted:

After adding most of Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers to my cart (I bought Infinity and my friend gifted me the first volume of both titles), I realized a) how many issues behind I am, b) $4/issue really adds up, and c) Marvel doesn't seem to discount things six months after they come out. I think I'm going to get a month of Marvel Unlimited and catch up over there, instead.

This is cool and good advice. I'm trying to reread this all because I'm dumb to Hickman and have most. Trying to buy codes is kinda waste of time when I can go to a unlimited since this deal is iffy for pricey singles.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hadji murad posted:

fake edit: right, buy the issues. 12 dollars instead of 20.
This is how you do it.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 21, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah I just did that.

I'm thinking of trying to get the Kirby/Lee FF run or the Busiek Avengers run before the sale closes. How's the latter?

They only have the first 50 issues for the Kirby/Lee FF run

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been playing around with the chromecast screen cast option and the various comic apps...it's pretty cool, especially using guided view. It's useful if you don't want to use a phone as you primary screen and you have a tv nearby. Admittedly it's a rather niche application, but I think it's a pretty fun way to read and use the app as a remote.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

gfanikf posted:

I've been playing around with the chromecast screen cast option and the various comic apps...it's pretty cool, especially using guided view. It's useful if you don't want to use a phone as you primary screen and you have a tv nearby. Admittedly it's a rather niche application, but I think it's a pretty fun way to read and use the app as a remote.

What apps have this? Last time I checked, neither comixology nor comicrack had this option.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rusty Kettle posted:

What apps have this? Last time I checked, neither comixology nor comicrack had this option.

Go to the Chromecast cast app (at least for Android) and select Cast Screen. Once selected just start up your regular comic app. You may need to rotate it for the best view.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

gfanikf posted:

Go to the Chromecast cast app (at least for Android) and select Cast Screen. Once selected just start up your regular comic app. You may need to rotate it for the best view.

And sadly not all phones/tablets can do this. :(

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

And sadly not all phones/tablets can do this. :(

You mean the cast screen feature?

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

If I wanted to use the Marvel sale to collect Brubaker's Captain America from beginning to end, what should I be buying? As far as I can tell, his run is the 2004-2011 series, the 2011-2012 series and about half of Winter Soldier. Is Captain America & Bucky part of the run, and is there anything else I'm missing?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

gfanikf posted:

You mean the cast screen feature?

Yeah unless it's changed recently not all models can mirror the screen. My Galaxy S3 couldn't. I upgraded to a Note 4 which can last year.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ruzaii posted:

If I wanted to use the Marvel sale to collect Brubaker's Captain America from beginning to end, what should I be buying? As far as I can tell, his run is the 2004-2011 series, the 2011-2012 series and about half of Winter Soldier. Is Captain America & Bucky part of the run, and is there anything else I'm missing?

There's also a Winter Soldier one-shot from Civil War (https://www.comixology.com/Winter-Soldier-Winter-Kills-One-Shot-1/digital-comic/36598?ref=c2VyaWVzL3ZpZXcvZGVza3RvcC9ncmlkTGlzdC9PbmVTaG90cw)
Captain America Reborn + Who Will Wield The Shield (https://www.comixology.com/Captain-America-Reborn/comics-series/3118?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI)
Steve Rogers: Super Soldier (https://www.comixology.com/Steve-Ro...ZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI)
and Secret Avengers 1-12 (https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Avengers-2010-2012/comics-series/4207?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9zZXJpZXNTbGlkZXI)
Reborn is crucial, tying into the main series after issue 600.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 22, 2015

Ruzaii
Mar 1, 2009

Thanks for this. It's a big help.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Medullah posted:

Yeah unless it's changed recently not all models can mirror the screen. My Galaxy S3 couldn't. I upgraded to a Note 4 which can last year.

Ah I see, I only got Chromecast back around November when I already had a Note 3. It really is an amazing way to read a comic when in bed or stretched out on a couch. Was actually testing it out just now with that Wolverine and Jubilee Vampire arc series I got...well at some point (its actually a pretty decent mini). The fact I finally got my note 3 set up to properly use my SDXC card means I can save a ton on not getting a new tablet (just use the note as a storage beast with root in Link2SD) and spend more of it on the Marvel sale.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Friendly Reminder....Go Buy Marvel stuff!

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

gfanikf posted:

Friendly Reminder....Go Buy Marvel stuff!

This sale seems particularly good for getting stories you want in collected form, since Marvel's sales usually happen for runs in single issues.

I picked up Franken-Castle to get Planet Hulk free, and Old Man Logan to get Daredevil: Born Again free. I also picked up the trades of Brubaker's Daredevil, even though I'd be happy to read them in single issues and I'm sure they'll do Daredevil sales around the time of the Netflix show, since the trades ended up coming out to less than $1 an issue.

Kind of had to stop myself there, though I considered picking up the trades of Gillen's Journey into Mystery (because otherwise you REALLY have to go back and forth between series for crossovers). I've already read those, though, and I really just want them to release the two "Complete" volumes digitally.

Anyone else have buy recommendations, particularly for collections? I'm thinking about Daredevil: End of Days, but am not sure what other trade at around $14.99 I'd want to pick up as the "free" one.

VVV Sure, but there are obvious advantages to buying, too: for me, I dislike the reading experience of Unlimited, I want to have more than 12 books downloaded at a time, and I like specifically allocating money toward the works I enjoy and not buying the ones I don't.

onefish fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 23, 2015

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I started loading up my cart and then by the time I checked out, even with the coupon I was at over $100. At that point it's better to just buy a subscription to Marvel Unlimited anyway, I just don't know if that App has gotten any better on androids.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

Flameingblack posted:

I started loading up my cart and then by the time I checked out, even with the coupon I was at over $100. At that point it's better to just buy a subscription to Marvel Unlimited anyway, I just don't know if that App has gotten any better on androids.

The android app is a lot better than it used to be. It's not great now or anything, but certainly usable.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
FWIW, I just noticed the current Uncanny X-Men sale apparently stacks in a weird way with the Marvel code.
I didn't look too much into it but basically, when adding these $1 X-books on top of $2 books already in your basket, the $2 books will be marked down to 0.
I think the order in which books are added matters.

I didn't try to optimize this or particularly exploit it, I just noticed it when my basket jumped like 5 bucks after adding the X-Men issues on sale. I figured "why not" and checked out.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PelvicNerve posted:

FWIW, I just noticed the current Uncanny X-Men sale apparently stacks in a weird way with the Marvel code.
I didn't look too much into it but basically, when adding these $1 X-books on top of $2 books already in your basket, the $2 books will be marked down to 0.
I think the order in which books are added matters.

I didn't try to optimize this or particularly exploit it, I just noticed it when my basket jumped like 5 bucks after adding the X-Men issues on sale. I figured "why not" and checked out.

Uh yes, this works, I have no idea why, but it works. I don't even think I'll likely read these X-Men issues, but 38 issues for $4. I mean poo poo that could be Rob Liefeld on crack quality writing and I'd be hard pressed to complain.

quote:

Order Total: $25.75
Your discount saves you: $44.76

For what it's worth Strange Tales or some of the original Nick Fury Books are 99 cents, no idea if you can do anything with those ones too.

onefish posted:

VVV Sure, but there are obvious advantages to buying, too: for me, I dislike the reading experience of Unlimited, I want to have more than 12 books downloaded at a time, and I like specifically allocating money toward the works I enjoy and not buying the ones I don't.
This is me too, the fact that landscape is too borked and I can't have more than 12 issues, makes MU more of a cheap way to sample then a way to read a whole run.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Does anyone know if any of the D&D comics are decent? There seems to be quite a few discounted on Comixology.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Happy Hedonist posted:

Does anyone know if any of the D&D comics are decent? There seems to be quite a few discounted on Comixology.

The John Rogers ones sure are. Not sure about the others.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Seconding the John Rogers ones (the one just titled "Dungeons & Dragons"), they are amazing.

For the price I'd say the Baldur's Gate one is worth checking out. I'm enjoying it but note that the last issue isn't out yet.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I have it all. The Dungeons and Dragons stuff is great, Legends of Baldurs Gate is fun too.

The other stuff is okay, I like it but it's not must read.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I was really liking Marvwl Unlimited until realizing they're missing like 50 issues of the New Mutants. :(

I'm worried I'm gonna run into a big whole in my Uncanny Xmen reread now.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

EC posted:

I was really liking Marvwl Unlimited until realizing they're missing like 50 issues of the New Mutants. :(

I'm worried I'm gonna run into a big whole in my Uncanny Xmen reread now.

I haven't looked at New Mutants, but a lot of the time it's just a case of the comics being sorted somewhere else. A few times I've been reading runs and come to gaps because they aren't organised well. Try searching by writer or different variations of the series title, you might be able to find them.

Marvel Unlimited manages to make up for having a pretty awesome service at a great price by having a few major problems with their UI.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

krakagar posted:

I haven't looked at New Mutants, but a lot of the time it's just a case of the comics being sorted somewhere else. A few times I've been reading runs and come to gaps because they aren't organised well. Try searching by writer or different variations of the series title, you might be able to find them.

Marvel Unlimited manages to make up for having a pretty awesome service at a great price by having a few major problems with their UI.

I can't seem to find it anywhere in the app. I might try the actual site later. Same with X-Factor, it has issue 1,9, and then starts normally at issue 30, but is then missing issues 41-70.

It's not that big of a deal, I'm just going through all of the early xmen stuff and was REALLY digging the New Mutants.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Secret Warriors.

https://www.comixology.com/Secret-Warriors-Sale/page/5588?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL3NtYWxsQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Get it.

e: You should read Mighty Avengers 13 and 18 first. It sets it up.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 2, 2015

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Any recommendations for solid X books/arcs that are fully available on Marvel Unlimited? I need a break from Uncanny XMen (the team is all pretending to be dead and Kitty and Nightcrawler are off panel somewhere :(), and like I mentioned earlier, I don't have full access to early New Mutants or X Factor.

(I've read Morrison's New XMen and the early Astonishing stuff, hopefully looking former early stuff)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

EC posted:

Any recommendations for solid X books/arcs that are fully available on Marvel Unlimited? I need a break from Uncanny XMen (the team is all pretending to be dead and Kitty and Nightcrawler are off panel somewhere :(), and like I mentioned earlier, I don't have full access to early New Mutants or X Factor.

(I've read Morrison's New XMen and the early Astonishing stuff, hopefully looking former early stuff)

If you want your Kitty and NIghtcrawler fix there is Excalibur. If you want some good X stories there is Uncanny 410-442. Exiles is also a great book from issues 1-25 and Exiles (2009)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

EC posted:

Any recommendations for solid X books/arcs that are fully available on Marvel Unlimited?

Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

What's good in this Joker sale? I don't read much DC but I'm always up for good comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

What's good in this Joker sale? I don't read much DC but I'm always up for good comics.

The 'Batman' and 'Batman and Robin' issues of 'Death of the Family' and 'The Man Who Laughs' are the good ones I know about.

Here's the sale:

https://www.comixology.com/Joker-Sale/page/5641?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Are the Steve Englehart Detective issues great? The 1975 miniseries?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 3, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Batman 251 is a great Joker story if not the best. Detective 475 and 476 is The Laughing Fish storyline and it is worth a read. For some reason Detective 784-786 is included and its worth a read. It is a great Green Lantern story.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New Transformers Humble Bundle. It'll bring you nearly up to date on the two main ongoings.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Transformers IDW Humble Bundle starts today. I know nothing about these other than the fact that some people seem to like them a lot and the bundle currently has ~90 issues.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

e: b

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MTMTE is really good, though I dropped RID/Transformers shortly after Dark Cybertron since I didn't like the change in focus.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Oh yeah!

https://www.comixology.com/Angry-Birds-Sale/page/5648?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
They really are sticking Angry Birds branding on anything they can get their hands on.

Are the DC Tangent comics any good?