Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The graphics seem worse than 8 XL somehow, and your CAC portrait is super lovely when it's talking. Blown-up image, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Bladestorm demo is pretty brief, basically just the tutorial battle. The biggest differences that I could see were being able to command up to four squads at a time which you can send off to do other stuff SW style or join up with to form super squads, and now the forts/castles have a super base commander that's harder to kill. I'm guessing there's more weapon types but you only got the basic ones and you couldn't touch the Nightmare stuff at all.

Graphically it's just the original game at a higher res with better shadows.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Oh man Empire looks fantastic

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Largepotato posted:

One of the Rulers in the Yellow Turban 8:E campaign.

:stare:

The screenshot doesn't really do him justice though.

Here he is on high detail settings.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Forsooth, witherest did thou come?

Everyone talks like the guy from the first Two Worlds game only with a bad French accent.

As long as the crazy Swedish player character voice is still in the game, I'm happy

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

8E is so ridulously easy on normal, I'm quickly losing interest. I guess I should restart on hard? Should I use the same officer I created for normal, or create a new one? I may just pick up WO3, it sounds more appealing at this point.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Happy Hedonist posted:

8E is so ridulously easy on normal, I'm quickly losing interest. I guess I should restart on hard? Should I use the same officer I created for normal, or create a new one? I may just pick up WO3, it sounds more appealing at this point.

Wo3 ultimate is a good game.

Hyrule warriors is still the best outing out right now, really. But not everyone has a wii-u

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Happy Hedonist posted:

I'd say stick with Normal to complete at least one play through of Empires Mode. As time progresses people get stronger, so the fights become a little more challenging. Leveling up before heading into Hard mode is usually a good idea.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

I went straight to hard with a brand new CAW and it was still too easy, finished the Yellow Turbans scenario without much trouble and it got easier the longer I played.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

SW4 was the same way, like maaaaaybe you had to do one stage on normal for a decent weapon and some level-up's but most of the time you could just go straight to hard.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, honestly, just start on Hard no matter what in DW8:E. It still gets continuously easier the longer you play. It really should be able to detect the fact that you're literally impossible to defeat on the strategic level anymore after a point and just make Threaten have a 100% chance or something. Honestly, the earlier you ascend into being a ruler, the easier the game gets. For a more challenging time avoid becoming a ruler until way late into a campaign, if at all.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Drakenel posted:

Wo3 ultimate is a good game.

Hyrule warriors is still the best outing out right now, really. But not everyone has a wii-u

It is unironically worth buying a Wii U for Hyrule Warriors (it has a ton of other great games though)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A Wii U costs as much as a New 3DS at this point from Nintendo.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal

Infinity Gaia posted:

For a more challenging time avoid becoming a ruler until way late into a campaign, if at all.

This is what I did with my first playthrough. Figured it would help me learn the ropes, since the last Empires game I played was 5:E and wanted to get to grips with the changes between them. Joined the Yellow Turbans and pretty much stayed best buds with Zhang Jiao all the way through. Got 3/4 of China taken over now, just a few stragglers to pick off.

Next time I plan to take over pretty early and give Hard a whirl.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

Sakurazuka posted:

Jesus, what version of the game is that from? Those are some loving PS2 textures right there.

It's somehow worse on PS3. I know DW games aren't known for effort and innovation, but I can't believe they managed to make the graphics worse than DW6:E. How does that even happen?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I get the feeling the Empires games are being made by Omega Force's C team while Hyrule and Dragon Quest were being made.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, honestly, just start on Hard no matter what in DW8:E. It still gets continuously easier the longer you play. It really should be able to detect the fact that you're literally impossible to defeat on the strategic level anymore after a point and just make Threaten have a 100% chance or something. Honestly, the earlier you ascend into being a ruler, the easier the game gets. For a more challenging time avoid becoming a ruler until way late into a campaign, if at all.

Play a roaming vagabond that assassinates any generic rulers or prefects.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
So, I loved 7:E... but I'm also broke and recently got Xenoverse. Would you guys say it's worth waiting for the F2P version of 8:E? I have Plus, so that's pretty much getting the entire game, minus some created parts, right?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'd wait, 8 Empires feels like the lowest effort entry I've played in a series already not known for putting forth a huge amount of effort.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Zhu Ran kept using Diaochan & Xiaoqiao. :negative:

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I'm feeling tempted to get DW8:E on Xbone but the lack of a demo is off putting. Is there any sufficiently similar demo's on either Xbone or 360 that would give me a good idea of what the game is like or should I just try twitch or a YouTube LP?
Or what about Orochi 3 as an alternative?

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 5, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
8E isn't really worth getting at the moment, especially not at full price.

Maybe when/if they update to the latest version it will improve enough.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

This isn't mine but I thought it was funny when I saw it in the steam screenshots this morning

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The most efficient power couple.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

no wonder lu linqqi is so strong

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I saw 2 of the same character in one my endings.

They were flanking the ruler and was one of the officers standing below.

Possibly happened because as Strategist I kickedexecuted a generic prefect between the war council plans and the final battle. There was a blank space near the top of the battle roster.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 5, 2015

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Davincie posted:

no wonder lu linqqi is so strong

I could really imagine a "Me and My Two Dads - by Lu Linqqi" picture book.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Largepotato posted:

Zhu Ran kept using Diaochan & Xiaoqiao. :negative:
Oh geez. I stopped using any officers that had a kill your own units strategy when I noticed that they love to spam it. And to boot it murders your entire army and not just murder their own unit.

We need a Koei version of :dice:

lurksion fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 5, 2015

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Largepotato posted:

8E isn't really worth getting at the moment, especially not at full price.

Maybe when/if they update to the latest version it will improve enough.

What about Orochi? The Chinese/Japanese mash up featuring DOA sounds kind of appealing and it looks like a good chunk of DLC is available too on the Xbone.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

lurksion posted:

Oh geez. I stopped using any officers that had a kill your own units strategy when I noticed that they love to spam it. And to boot it murders your entire army and not just murder their own unit.

We need a Koei version of :dice:

:laugh:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I was going through the available created officers on the PC last night, and I have to applaud whomever made Mew Bu.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

lurksion posted:

Any way to see which units/strategies do this?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Fat Samurai posted:

Any way to see which units/strategies do this?

Affection from Diaochan & the Qiao sisters is the main one.

I think Coercion might too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anime_Otaku posted:

What about Orochi? The Chinese/Japanese mash up featuring DOA sounds kind of appealing and it looks like a good chunk of DLC is available too on the Xbone.

Orochi is good and has a ridiculous amount of content, though it's not as polished as more recent releases. The only real downside is that if you're not already familiar with the characters it makes no effort to explain who anyone is.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Largepotato posted:

Affection from Diaochan & the Qiao sisters is the main one.

I think Coercion might too.

Zenji has one too called seduction iirc.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Morter posted:

I could really imagine a "Me and My Two Dads - by Lu Linqqi" picture book.

how about 3 men and a baby?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
These two lists seem really helpful for sorting out how to get a specific Way of Life

First, the WOL list and the requirements (not yet complete by a quick read of the thread, but its getting updates):
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/dynasty-warriors-8-empires/260561-way-life-list.html

Then how to get said requirements (ingame as well, but a pain in the rear end trip through several menus)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bTWF3VL8XCfsW77xFtiSKibD0goN-LE5p28nDHx9eNc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Koei really needs to ditch only being able to marry the opposite gender.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Sakurazuka posted:

Koei really needs to ditch only being able to marry the opposite gender.

"DON'T PURSUE LU BU" - Koei, to every man in China

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

lurksion posted:

These two lists seem really helpful for sorting out how to get a specific Way of Life

First, the WOL list and the requirements (not yet complete by a quick read of the thread, but its getting updates):
http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/dynasty-warriors-8-empires/260561-way-life-list.html

Then how to get said requirements (ingame as well, but a pain in the rear end trip through several menus)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bTWF3VL8XCfsW77xFtiSKibD0goN-LE5p28nDHx9eNc

Next campaign I think I'm gonna make a short and ugly guy and get him the Tall and Handsome way of life title.