Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I only wear long pants, because the only socks I have were the ones the army issued me three years ago, and buying new socks seems like a waste of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

As soon as we get settled in the new place I'm buying the pallet of socks and never wearing a pair more than once again.

Livin' the dream right here.

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
You guys are doing socks wrong, it's all about Point6 and Darn Tough merino wool socks. I started wearing them years ago when I got into hiking and now I can never go back to bullshit cotton socks.

I think I have $300 in socks right now but they last forever, wick like crazy, and are super comfy year round.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Geirskogul posted:

I only wear long pants, because the only socks I have were the ones the army issued me three years ago, and buying new socks seems like a waste of money.
Luckily it's trendy to wear long socks with shorts (it still looks goony as gently caress to me but whatever)

leica posted:

Well yeah good socks are expensive, thats why I get them at outlet stores for half the price......You have any outlets up there?

Yeah I live about five minutes away from Michigan's largest outlet mall. I'll have to hit up the Adidas and Nike outlets there :3:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I got 40 pairs of normal black Nike tube socks and they suck just as much as Hanes or anything else from Walmart.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

There's your problem.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I'm not wearing ankle socks in work boots...

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
These are my current two favorite pairs of socks:
http://www.amazon.com/KEEN-Bellingham-Socks-Steel-Medium
http://www.amazon.com/Icebreaker-Mens-Hike-Lite-Crew

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Knee highs or nothing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I just wear normal rear end white ankle socks, gently caress your fashion :colbert:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Knee highs to the thighs

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
What in the christ is this sock chat

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

What in the christ is this sock chat

Better than colonchat.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
I mean they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Better than colonchat.

I know what I'm wearing to the promotion boards.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Adiabatic posted:

I mean they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

What is your favorite brand of poop sock?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
AI is full of crotchety old men.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I got a set of Blipshift socks for Christmas. I almost never have the need to wear fancy socks but when I do they match my Blipshift ties.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

T1g4h posted:

So... Probably shouldn't mention that you can get a trailer here for about ~$8k, and most houses go for $50k to $100k, tops :v:

There is a trailer park here that has a big banner out front stating that they start at $5k.

I bought my 2,200 square foot house with a massive backyard, pool, finished basement and three seasons room (and dual stall garage with a cement pad for a third vehicle) for $150k even.

Living in Indiana has its perks. Not many of them, but they're there.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

:woop: Heard back from the Portsmouth, NH/Kittery, ME Naval shipyard and it sounds like they want to do an in person interview. I applied for an entry level engineering position three months ago.

I also gave the steering place that I had a phone interview for almost a month ago a call. Turns out they're still interested but the guy in charge of hiring has been on vacation.

This all has me feeling a whole lot better since I was getting kind of pissed with my current poo poo job this morning.

I'm also happy to learn that I'm not as weird about socks as I thought I was.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Soccer socks. I use em with mx boots. Works like a champ.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Slow is Fast posted:

My father picked up one of these to try and keep in his mustang since he didn't want to carry a full cable set.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K7UXT2O?psc=1

We have a big jump pack that lives at their house. The old F250 would need the old jump pack to be full to start it.

With this thing, it started both F250's in the cold without issue

:stare:

I got this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D42AFS8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And it's awesome too. I leave it in the armrest storage bucket in my forester charging, and run my phone/gps/etc charging off of it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'M GOING TO CUBA ALL SYSTEMS GO I REPEAT ALL SYSTEMS GO

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

As soon as we get settled in the new place I'm buying the pallet of socks and never wearing a pair more than once again.

I don't think you fully realize the poo poo that brand new clothing is covered in to make it a) nice and soft to the touch so you'll buy it and b) not develop odors or mold during the twelve weeks at sea in a muggy 40 foot shipping container.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BrokenKnucklez posted:

AI is full of crotchety old men.

So, yep.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

SFH1989 posted:

:woop: Heard back from the Portsmouth, NH/Kittery, ME Naval shipyard and it sounds like they want to do an in person interview. I applied for an entry level engineering position three months ago.

I also gave the steering place that I had a phone interview for almost a month ago a call. Turns out they're still interested but the guy in charge of hiring has been on vacation.

This all has me feeling a whole lot better since I was getting kind of pissed with my current poo poo job this morning.

I'm also happy to learn that I'm not as weird about socks as I thought I was.

Good luck man!

I got home to the amp in my bedroom's fans spinning away wildly and the protect light glowing. I run a power amp in my room because POWERRRRRRRRRR but this one is one I rescued from work years ago and at this point it's 15 years old or thereabouts. I took the top off to see what the deal was, plugged it back in and it popped. Whoops. Ordered a replacement cap and resistor for it and installed one of the power amps from my PA kit to take its place for now. This amp ran the 4 very large folded horn subs in the setup so is pretty much overkill for a lot of home situations and doubly, triply so for this. Sounds clear as gently caress though.

I kinda can't wait to move out of this shared place and into my own joint though if only because I plan on installing the PA kit in the living room/lounge 'just to see'. :black101:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

SFH1989 posted:

Nice, 2015 is being pretty good for new jobs and promotions it seem.

cursedshitbox posted:

Soccer socks. I use em with mx boots. Works like a champ.
Agreed they work really great for this. Don't work too terribly under normal road race boots either.

Geirskogul posted:

Bring me back cigars and rum, please don't smuggle them back in your butt.

68 degrees holy crap. I'm getting the hell out of here, time to go sit on the porch with a cigar. Then wake up tomorrow to snow and ice:confused:

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Geirskogul posted:

Business or pleasure?

Either way, make friends with the bartender and you can get nice bottles of Havana club for 4 peso (convertible peso that is set at 1:1 to USD) under the table of course.

Enjoy crap food too, I've seen people bring their own condiments to help spice things up. No joke.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

68 degrees holy crap. I'm getting the hell out of here, time to go sit on the porch with a cigar. Then wake up tomorrow to snow and ice:confused:

Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm over here in NE Arkansas and it's sleeting like a motherfucker right now.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Back in November I did a training with a unit that was deploying, under the guise of being a backup, but really just as a medic-on-site so if anybody got injured I could clear them on the spot so they wouldn't have any delays in deploying.

Turns out they need the backup. It's not long, just until July.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I may be getting an internship at my university where I'd work 10-25 hours whenever I want as long as it's between 8-5. It only pays $10/he starting but since I'm a senior and already making $16 I'd bet they'd pay more, and even if they didn't it's basically an extra $100-$250 extra a week that I could do when I'm not at my normal job.

I love it when stuff comes together :dance:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Geirskogul posted:

Back in November I did a training with a unit that was deploying, under the guise of being a backup, but really just as a medic-on-site so if anybody got injured I could clear them on the spot so they wouldn't have any delays in deploying.

Turns out they need the backup. It's not long, just until July.

So you're going to the part without good rum and cigars?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Suck it, geeks! This weekend I get to borrow a Cray X-MP for an exhibit :v:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

88h88 posted:

Good luck man!

Thanks

NitroSpazzz posted:

Nice, 2015 is being pretty good for new jobs and promotions it seem.

Well I don't have anything yet but I've already heard back from more places than I did in all of 2014.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

meltie posted:

A complete one, or one that's been hacked up for display?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

T1g4h posted:

Enjoy it while it lasts. I'm over here in NE Arkansas and it's sleeting like a motherfucker right now.
It dropped at least 10 degrees since my last post. Walked to the car in t-shirt very comfortable, now have on a light jacket over a sweatshirt on the porch :argh: I'm stupid/stubborn so I'm still going to sit out here and have my cigar despite the wind picking up and it starting to rain.

meltie posted:

gently caress yes. Borrow as in wheel the heavy fucker into a room, just a module or run some code on it? Cray isn't real big on the portable or light side of computing. Still awesome though, they had one at the site I was helping out at in Berlin and I spent a fair amount of time looking at it. Doesn't look like I saved any of the snapchats from that :( If you need any info/details let me know and I can probably get it.

Couple years ago, whenever Cray moved their Minnesota office I helped move the old display systems from the old office to the new one. Those fuckers are dense and stupidly heavy but so drat cool. I have a couple X-MP modules sitting somewhere.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I just showered sticky pink puke out of my hair, children are amazing :catstare:

I also told my current bank to go pound sand today, felt great. Hope everything else works out, it's still looking like 4 months before the house is ready.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My carhart socks are te best socks I've ever bought

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I finally got the chance to pull the SC in at work. With the LR wheel jacked up and spinning you could watch the RH stub shaft walk up and down a little more than 1/8" (like, not spinning, just moving back and forth on the radial axis). Lots of metal in the oil to match. Interesting failure mode for sure, it's going to be fun to see how broken it is when I pull it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Visibility is for scrubs.

• Locked thread