Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Sunforger is good in any deck that can play it, really

I'm actually on the fence. I mean...it is great when you get it online, but my best deck for it is Jor Kadeen, and I rarely ever see it. Even when I pull an equip tutor, I usually go for Batterskull or one of the Swords. :shrug: And unless you have Puresteel Paladin on the field, the mana cost can be super restrictive. (Of course, only having R/W instants to search for limits the usefulness more than in a 3 or 5 color deck.)

Edit: Top page snipe. Here's something that's kind of irked me about EDH construction rules. Technically, all the fetches are legal in any deck since they don't have a color identity. Do you all play allowing that? My LGS has put a gentleman's rule into effect that you can only use fetches that search for basics of your General's identity, but what you do guys think? Should that be a hard-and-fast rule?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Gynovore posted:

Omnath seems like a no-brainer here. Also, congrats for NOT being one of the many monogreen commander decks that destroy the opponent's land.

Not until he drops GIlt-Leaf Archdruid and takes all his opponent's land :kheldragar:

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Edit: Top page snipe. Here's something that's kind of irked me about EDH construction rules. Technically, all the fetches are legal in any deck since they don't have a color identity. Do you all play allowing that? My LGS has put a gentleman's rule into effect that you can only use fetches that search for basics of your General's identity, but what you do guys think? Should that be a hard-and-fast rule?

I'm confused as to why they even bothered with that rule, the closest I've ever come to seeing someone "abuse" fetches is in an (almost) all lands deck.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Personally I put an Urborg in all of my EDH decks just because I can. :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I'm confused as to why they even bothered with that rule, the closest I've ever come to seeing someone "abuse" fetches is in an (almost) all lands deck.

Because U/G/x decks running Crucible of Worlds and all the green land recursion is loving obnoxious.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

The sickest thing to do with Sunforger is cast the Ends half of Odds/Ends and then spend 5 minutes convincing your opponents you can do that

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

I'm actually on the fence. I mean...it is great when you get it online, but my best deck for it is Jor Kadeen, and I rarely ever see it. Even when I pull an equip tutor, I usually go for Batterskull or one of the Swords. :shrug: And unless you have Puresteel Paladin on the field, the mana cost can be super restrictive. (Of course, only having R/W instants to search for limits the usefulness more than in a 3 or 5 color deck.)

I have blue fetches in Talrand, mainly just as free reshuffle effect, so not really.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

AlternateNu posted:

Meh. Deck thinning is less of a big deal in 100 card decks. I say who cares.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

If you want to reeeeeeally deck thin, and you're in blue, just cast Selective memory.
don't cast selective memory

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Nomadic Scholar posted:

If you want to reeeeeeally deck thin, and you're in blue, just cast Selective memory.
don't cast selective memory

Seriously.

Cast Mana Severance!

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

wait there is a land equivalent of this
ahahahaha of course there is.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Nomadic Scholar posted:

wait there is a land equivalent of this
ahahahaha of course there is.

Mana Severance with Goblin Charbelcher is what finally got Tinker banned back in the day in Extended though, card's no joke

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Sarcastro posted:

Seriously.

Cast Mana Severance!

I had a deck on Magic Online using a blue green general which used mana severance and selective memory to exile everything that was less than 8 CMC from my library once I had timesifter and omen machine out.

People were so annoyed with it when I got it online in the first game I played, and it was so boring until I got it going, that I only ever played it like twice.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I've been having a lot of fun with this deck, but I'm not entirely sold on a few of the cards I'm running. If anyone has feedback, I'd appreciate specific cards I should look at, and what you'd drop for them:

Deck: Seton Druid Tribal

I know its $$$ but you need a Cradle and maybe a Glimpse as well. No Nykthos? And people hate Vorniclex with a passion so be careful when you play him. Other more mana spells to think of are mana reflection and caged sun.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Because U/G/x decks running Crucible of Worlds and all the green land recursion is loving obnoxious.

Its not like they're really ramping any faster than the 500 other methods anyone else in green can go with. Its just weird hearing "someone bringing back a fetchland with crucible" as a thing that someone thinks is a problem in EDH, considering the giant fuckload of broken/degenerate stuff that people do regularly in the format.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Its not like they're really ramping any faster than the 500 other methods anyone else in green can go with. Its just weird hearing "someone bringing back a fetchland with crucible" as a thing that someone thinks is a problem in EDH, considering the giant fuckload of broken/degenerate stuff that people do regularly in the format.

Maybe if they have Azusa and Titania in play. Then they just made 15 power in creatures as well.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

If you're in a meta with a lot of slow value-grinding midrange and control poo poo, drawing two cards per turn (and one is always a land) is some seriously good poo poo for three colorless mana.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

I'm not saying they're worthless, its just that being able to play a couple more (sub-optimal for your colors) fetches is a weird thing to fixate on in EDH given everything else that goes on in a higher powered meta. Its also the kind of corner case that good game/rules design avoids making rules for because the benefit of barring 'off color' fetches in deck construction isn't worth the confusion that would then come up with all the other instances of named lands or named colors.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I'm not saying they're worthless, its just that being able to play a couple more (sub-optimal for your colors) fetches is a weird thing to fixate on in EDH given everything else that goes on in a higher powered meta. Its also the kind of corner case that good game/rules design avoids making rules for because the benefit of barring 'off color' fetches in deck construction isn't worth the confusion that would then come up with all the other instances of named lands or named colors.

Given Phyrexian Arena is one life for an extra card each turn for 3CMC, Crucible of Worlds and a fetchland is basically giving you that but it's a 2 card combo that only gets you non-utility land. That doesn't seem anywhere near stuff like Deadeye Navigator, Mana Vault, or Skullclamp.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
You plebs need to just embrace Sylvan Library and rockstar your CA to victory.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Toshimo posted:

You plebs need to just embrace Sylvan Library and rockstar your CA to victory.

Heh, I run that in my Prossh deck too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I did a little more poking around with my Ghoulcaller Gisa deck and this where I find myself-
Deck: Ghoulcaller Gisa

//Lands
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Crypt of Agadeem
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Subterranean Hangar
33 Swamp
1 Unholy Grotto

//Spells
1 Altar of Dementia
1 Army of the Damned
1 Barter in Blood
1 Caged Sun
1 Call to the Grave
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Intent
1 Dread Return
1 Eldrazi Monument
1 Empty the Pits
1 Endless Ranks of the Dead
1 Feeding Frenzy
1 Grave Betrayal
1 Grave Pact
1 Grimoire of the Dead
1 Hall of Triumph
1 Infernal Offering
1 Jet Medallion
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
1 Liliana Vess
1 Malicious Affliction
1 Mutilate
1 Necromantic Selection
1 Nevinyrral's Disk
1 Nim Deathmantle
1 Ob Nixilis of the Black Oath
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Profane Command
1 Sol Ring
1 Sudden Spoiling
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Syphon Flesh
1 Thornbite Staff
1 Victimize
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Zombie Apocalypse

//Creatures
1 Cemetery Reaper
1 Corpse Harvester
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Flesh Carver
1 Fleshbag Marauder
1 Geth, Lord of the Vault
1 Grave Defiler
1 Grave Titan
1 Gravecrawler
1 Gravespawn Sovereign
1 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Grixis Slavedriver
1 Liliana's Reaver
1 Maalfeld Twins
1 Nested Ghoul
1 Noxious Ghoul
1 Overseer of the Damned
1 Pontiff of Blight
1 Raving Dead
1 Skirsdag High Priest
1 Soulless One
1 Unbreathing Horde
1 Undead Warchief
1 Vengeful Dead
1 Withered Wretch

//Sideboard
1 Ghoulcaller Gisa

Display deck statistics

If it's not clear, the goal is to generate an overwhelming number of Zombies to flatten the competition, with the backup wincon of saccing them all to Altar of Dementia and milling out your enemies. That card also ties into the sub-theme of taking your opponents' dead creatures from there, usually with the Zombie type tacked on.

My main concern, which might a good discussion for general EDH, is this: how much anti-synergy is OK? For example I have Noxious Ghoul in there now which is a powerful, repeatable sweeper effect...except it will usually kill Gisa (unless she has Deathmantle equipped, which is by no means a guarantee). Is a good effect like that worth keeping if it clashes with your general? There's also the less worrisome situation of having Eldrazi Monument but also have a few sweepers that kill via -1/-1s and not straight destroy effects. Thoughts? Other cards that I should track down to use?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

**Zombies**

I have a Zombie deck as well, though it's Thraximundar. With 3 colors, I pretty much run 100% zombie tribal (and still can find some powerful cards) outside of Gisa and her brother. For example, my one combo in the deck is Cloudstone Curio + Rooftop Storm + Anathemancer + any other zombie card. I don't typically like infinite combos (if you run them, you usually just try to tutor for all the pieces which results in stagnant game play), but I think this combo is funny (killing everyone as long as they have 1 non-basic land, assuming no disruption for a 4-part combo). Otherwise it's just zombie tribal, where I try to make a bunch of zombies and attack with them (with a ton of graveyard hate since many zombies interact with the yard).

If you want to generate the most zombies though, especially for Altar of Dementia, look at this card: Tombstone Stairwell

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I did a little more poking around with my Ghoulcaller Gisa deck and this where I find myself-
Deck: Ghoulcaller Gisa

If it's not clear, the goal is to generate an overwhelming number of Zombies to flatten the competition, with the backup wincon of saccing them all to Altar of Dementia and milling out your enemies. That card also ties into the sub-theme of taking your opponents' dead creatures from there, usually with the Zombie type tacked on.

My main concern, which might a good discussion for general EDH, is this: how much anti-synergy is OK? For example I have Noxious Ghoul in there now which is a powerful, repeatable sweeper effect...except it will usually kill Gisa (unless she has Deathmantle equipped, which is by no means a guarantee). Is a good effect like that worth keeping if it clashes with your general? There's also the less worrisome situation of having Eldrazi Monument but also have a few sweepers that kill via -1/-1s and not straight destroy effects. Thoughts? Other cards that I should track down to use?

This is a metagame thing but I would replease Merciless Affliction with something else, like Hero's Downfall or Silence the Believers. I'm also not seeing a ton of draw power, maybe drop something for Necropotence?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

You should be running Graveborn Muse for sure. Maybe Chainer, Dementia Master as well for even more reanimation.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If the deck is firing on all cylinders Graveborn Muse will kill me very quickly, but it's like 50 cents so I'll look for one. I guess there's a few ways to sac it if I'm in danger.

Also forgot to mention that I bought the black C14 pre-con which is why I have so many cards from it in here. Maybe I could drop the Malicious Infliction for Dregs of Sorrow, which is still killing power but also draw me cards? It also had Disciple of Bolas but I can't remember if that's repeatable draw or not.

Sep 13, 2007

C-Euro posted:

If the deck is firing on all cylinders Graveborn Muse will kill me very quickly, but it's like 50 cents so I'll look for one. I guess there's a few ways to sac it if I'm in danger.

Also forgot to mention that I bought the black C14 pre-con which is why I have so many cards from it in here. Maybe I could drop the Malicious Infliction for Dregs of Sorrow, which is still killing power but also draw me cards? It also had Disciple of Bolas but I can't remember if that's repeatable draw or not.

Dregs is going to have the same non-black conditional removal but it does offer draw power. Disciple of Bolas is draw/life gain based on a sacrificed creature's power.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I'm making an Anafenza list for Tiny Leaders and I'm noticing online that most lists don't run Tarmogoyf or Dark Confidant, are they banned or something?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm making an Anafenza list for Tiny Leaders and I'm noticing online that most lists don't run Tarmogoyf or Dark Confidant, are they banned or something?

The same reason most EDH lists don't run Mana Crypt and alpha duals.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

OK, just wondering, since the format is so informal and I hadn't seen one single list with either card I thought maybe there was some agreement or community ban list I didn't know about. I mean I see plenty of EDH lists with Mana Crypt and Duals but :shrug:

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 10, 2015

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The thing is with graveborn muse is that once you have enough zombies in play that playing it will kill yourself, you've probably gotten to winning already. You are playing the color of sac outlets and resurrection, and even your commander can sac it if you're afraid of the damage from it. every other point in the game, it is literally a better phyrexian arena for you.

Sep 13, 2007
My Oona deck. Tried some graveyard shenanigans but saw that most of my opponent's decks were being exiled so there wasn't a lot of choices so I took them out and put a bit more control and odds and ends.

Deck: Oona, Queen of Denial

//Lands
1 Bad River
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Cabal Coffers
1 Creeping Tar Pit
1 Darkslick Shores
1 Drowned Catacomb
5 Island
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1 Reliquary Tower
20 Swamp
1 Tectonic Edge
1 Temple of the False God
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Watery Grave

//Spells
1 Arcane Denial
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Caged Sun
1 Consume Spirit
1 Counterspell
1 Curse of the Swine
1 Cyclonic Rift
1 Dauthi Embrace
1 Decree of Pain
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Diabolic Tutor
1 Dictate of Erebos
1 Dimir Keyrune
1 Dimir Signet
1 Disdainful Stroke
1 Expedition Map
1 Exsanguinate
1 Hatred
1 Hero's Downfall
1 Hinder
1 Increasing Ambition
1 Jet Medallion
1 Lightning Greaves
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
1 Liliana Vess
1 Lim-Dûl's Vault
1 Necropotence
1 Perilous Vault
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Pongify
1 Profane Command
1 Rewind
1 Rhystic Study
1 Silence the Believers
1 Sol Ring
1 Sorin Markov
1 Swan Song
1 Swiftfoot Boots
1 Sword of Vengeance
1 Toxic Deluge

//Creatures
1 Blood Artist
1 Bloodgift Demon
1 Consuming Aberration
1 Crypt Ghast
1 Dread
1 Erebos, God of the Dead
1 Ghastlord of Fugue
1 Grave Titan
1 Hypnotic Specter
1 Liliana's Reaver
1 Magus of the Coffers
1 Necropolis Regent
1 Nefarox, Overlord of Grixis
1 Nightveil Specter
1 Oona, Queen of the Fae
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Sangromancer
1 Sheoldred, Whispering One
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Steel Hellkite
1 Vampire Nighthawk
1 Wurmcoil Engine

do u believe in marigolds fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 11, 2015

Soviet Canuckistan
Oct 24, 2010
So I'm building a Purphoros EDH deck (so it'll be full of token generators and some instant/sorcery copy effects), and I want to include some legendaries that I can use as alternate commanders if I want to change up how the deck plays (or tweak its powerlevel, since Purphoros can be pretty oppressive in casual games) without changing any of the other cards. Krenko is pretty obvious, but I could also use Squee, Norin, and maybe Wort, the Raidmother. Any other suggestions out there?

Propane C3H8
Jul 27, 2006

TASTE THE MEAT NOT THE HEAT

Soviet Canuckistan posted:

So I'm building a Purphoros EDH deck (so it'll be full of token generators and some instant/sorcery copy effects), and I want to include some legendaries that I can use as alternate commanders if I want to change up how the deck plays (or tweak its powerlevel, since Purphoros can be pretty oppressive in casual games) without changing any of the other cards. Krenko is pretty obvious, but I could also use Squee, Norin, and maybe Wort, the Raidmother. Any other suggestions out there?

Maybe Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I run Urabrask in my Purphoros deck but it's not exactly a build-around commander.

Also last time I brought that deck out, someone keyed me on to Jar of Eyeballs, especially if you have lots of sac outlets.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.
Anyone have any experience with Nephilim as commanders? Was considering bringing it up to my playgroup as I want to play Dune-Brood Nephillim. I think it should be okay, as one other guy wants to play Ink-Treader, whos effect is way more build-around than Dune-Broods. Also, does anyone have a legitimate reason to not allow Nephillim as commanders (aside from the obvious legendary problem)?

Sep 13, 2007

Crusaderking posted:

Anyone have any experience with Nephilim as commanders? Was considering bringing it up to my playgroup as I want to play Dune-Brood Nephillim. I think it should be okay, as one other guy wants to play Ink-Treader, whos effect is way more build-around than Dune-Broods. Also, does anyone have a legitimate reason to not allow Nephillim as commanders (aside from the obvious legendary problem)?

Since they aren't legally allowed to be used as commanders in the game it's up to the whims of your playgroup as to whether or not you can use it. There are rules sticklers out there so just be prepared to possibly have a 5-color general.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

The nephilim probably should have been made legendary but they're not and depending on the player running it I have to admit I might tell them to gently caress off because 1) Ink Treader is incredibly powerful and 2) There are so many options in EDH already that its hard to sympathize with someone who asks for exceptions to be made for them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I'm amazed that Wizards has released three cycles of Commander-specific box products, not to mention been generally seeding sets with Commander in mind for years at this point, and we haven't seen 4-color generals. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

JerryLee posted:

I'm amazed that Wizards has released three cycles of Commander-specific box products, not to mention been generally seeding sets with Commander in mind for years at this point, and we haven't seen 4-color generals. I'm sure it's only a matter of time, though.

There's a blogatog post that says the exact same, he says something like "We're putting out a Commander set every year, four-color generals are almost certain to show up at some point."

On the other hand he doesn't like them and thinks the problem with four-color creatures is that they end up defined by the color they aren't, or worse, like with the Nephilim, not really defined by colors at all.