Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Rannos22 posted:

Wait how did the tube help?

Makeshift snorkel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Not Keyser Soze posted:

I'm about to transition my second group of D&D players to Star Wars. This group has played a variety of games and are amenable to the new dice system even if they don't quite get it yet. My first group were (are, it's still in rotation) 3.5 die-hards and early there would be sessions where they would be having a great time, then suddenly act like I was their Stepdad, trying to win them over with cool toys and they'd begrudge the system for no reason. They came around though, because they got to do awesome Star Wars stuff.

They sound like me irl gaming group.

Endman posted:

Makeshift snorkel.

my single favorite roll was a smuggler charming a crimelords wife into giving him a key to her apartment, so we could steal something from it. He rolled a massive amount of success and a triumph, but one despair. GM made into one single simple result: she fell in hopeless in love with him, ending with her stowing away on the ship and the crimelord not knowing we stole from him, but thinking we kidnapped his wife/massive chase in space and a big bounty on our heads.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 4, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

That's what escape pods are for. :v:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Endman posted:

That's what escape pods are for. :v:

We never thought of that, mainly because we where too busy laughing at/"angry" about how everything blew up in our faces because of a one off decision and how much sense it made.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Update on the Ziggurat:

The players explored the command tower of a submerged Republic Cruiser (Victory Star Destroyer-sized ship) and survived long enough to actually kill the Sith General as he attacked them, Space-Jockey-in-Prometheus style. The Duros pilot now has a Sith lightsaber clipped to his belt, which I have assured him will not pose any problem whatsoever as they travel the galaxy.

They ran from the ship as it started to uproot from underground, and being as how the Wookie was in two pieces, they're hyperspacing to Thyferra to dump him in a Bacta tank and hope for the best. This is not great for them, since the Wookie's obligation involves having ripped the arm off a Bacta Cartel member previously...

The best part is that the Captain's player missed the game, so as far as the player knows, it's "Touched down on planet -> played Dejarik Holochess against the computer for a few hours while crew retrieves relics from Ziggurat -> crew comes running out of Ziggurat during localized earthquake, dragging a disabled droid and bits of the ship's mechanic, screaming bloody murder and the Duros pilot Dukes-of-Hazzards it into the cockpit and takes off while a small Star Destroyer erupts out of the ground.

Now the question is: what do I do with a rogue, leaderless Sith army battalion in possession of a hyperspace-capable ship and 6,000 years behind the times?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Everblight posted:

Now the question is: what do I do with a rogue, leaderless Sith army battalion in possession of a hyperspace-capable ship and 6,000 years behind the times?

Two options. They havn't realized they won and decide to make one suicidal ditch effort to rampage across Coruscant. This path of destruction is used as a propaganda effort against the Rebellion and the players need to put together a big counter campaign to invalidate it and show what really happened. Or the sith realize they won, swear loyalty to the first Inquisitor/sith they come across and you have an ancient army thats going to put to good use hunting down the rebels. You pick an Imperial bad guy the players know and immediately have a way to flip them into big deal bad guy.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Everblight posted:

Execute the Thesh Protocol by flying to all the other planets where Sith armies await, frozen in carbonite, for their re-activation, then take their full-sized military and kick over some regional government (Tion Hegemony? Corporate Sector? Centrality?).

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
The Sith of the current era is incomprehensible to them, they feel lost and adrift in this new time, and decide that free of their Sith Lord they're free to do as they please. They retire to a forgotten ruin of a world from the Old Sith Empire, and try to build a new life for themselves.

Unfortunately every side in the civil war is going to see them as a massive threat, or a tool to be used, to force them back into a long-forgotten war. Will they stand in judgment for the crimes they committed millennia ago? What will happen if someone does convince them to re-enter the current conflict? What happens when its the Rebellion thats looking to neutralize the Sith threat which is now declaring itself noncombatant? Or seeking to recruit them against their will? Can the players convince them to turn their backs on their philosophy, by showing what it is the Sith have wrought in control? Do they want to stop this potential threat from re-emerging? Do they want to protect their self-determination?

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

NutritiousSnack posted:

my single favorite roll was a smuggler charming a crimelords wife into giving him a key to her apartment, so we could steal something from it. He rolled a massive amount of success and a triumph, but one despair. GM made into one single simple result: she fell in hopeless in love with him, ending with her stowing away on the ship and the crimelord not knowing we stole from him, but thinking we kidnapped his wife/massive chase in space and a big bounty on our heads.

It's great when a GM can use a despair in an inventive way.

At one point two of the players (me a Human and a Gand bounty hunter) are in a mainly Trandoshan hunter bar on Nar Shadaar waiting for a contact. Our GM asks for a roll to see how tough we look with a red and purple and I succeed but roll a despair. I get an Aquilash and other come up to me and give me the

"My friend doesn't like you"

"He has the death mark in three systems"

"I don't like you"

"He wants your com frequency"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
That Despair roll reminds me of a WoD game where a human character was trying to buddy up to a werewolf and had to do multiple rolls over a few hours of chilling at a bar. Ended up having a botch in there, so the ST decided that he was still successful because he had had so many successes up to that point, instead the werewolf ended up being gay and wanted to sleep with the guy. Made for a hilariously awkward exit conversation.

This game's system is so much more elegant... all that done with a single roll.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Everblight posted:

The explanation is simple: Some people do not like collaborative storytelling and prefer the interlocking puzzle of D&D character-building and adversarial GMing. If "non-binary resolution" is too complex a term, try "you can succeed and gently caress up, or fail and still help" as a selling point.

Well that was and is my main selling point that you can fail and have good things happen or succeed and have it now up in your face and his response was that Pathfinder does that too with minor success and major and all this other stuff. He's an older guy and has been doing DnD for agesto the point that he has said he doesn't consider 4th edition to be DnD. He's willing to try the game so we'll see what happens. But he does reside to belive that Pathfinder/DnD is combat focused

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KomradeX posted:

he has said he doesn't consider 4th edition to be DnD.
sever.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sever like a hand on a dude named skywalker. :v:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
There is no saving that one. Turned to the grog side, he has.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Fuzz posted:

This game's system is so much more elegant... all that done with a single roll.

Well, her falling in love, sneaking onto the ship, and her husband dispatching goons to 'save' her was that one roll. Us getting a bounty on our head after a chase scene was because he starting failing rolls to gently persuading her to leave and then going "gently caress it, this is too funny" and letting things play out naturally.

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

So I've read and reread stuff, and I'm unsure how exactly to GM with respect to hyperlanes. The books mention that certain lanes are restricted or heavily monitored, but it's not clear on how. Basically, what's stopping anyone from just using a hyperlane? I have no experience with the EU, so I've never seen this narratively, if it's addressed there.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trilas posted:

So I've read and reread stuff, and I'm unsure how exactly to GM with respect to hyperlanes. The books mention that certain lanes are restricted or heavily monitored, but it's not clear on how. Basically, what's stopping anyone from just using a hyperlane? I have no experience with the EU, so I've never seen this narratively, if it's addressed there.

Gravity-Well Generators on Interdictor-class Star Destroyers. If you can artificially generate (or trick hyperspace drives into believing they're entering) a star's mass, they drop out of warp and your shuttles can board them for inspection.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Have I mentioned how much I love my players?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Trilas posted:

Alternately, make it work however you want. I think there's so much crap in Star Wars that nobody should be expected to remember all of it. You can make it like a wormhole, like Warp travel, like a big fast highway, or like really slow teleportation, or whatever.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The Wookipedia article proves... something: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperlane

They're just charged paths through Hyperspace, sometimes you have to exit hyperspace to make a course correction and go back into hyperspace (does that you mean you can only hyperspace in a straight line? who knows). It sounds like going off the hyperlanes is a really bad idea but you could just decide it's not that bad or whatever. I think much like in Star Trek, it takes exactly as long to travel from A to B as the plot needs.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

New Sorcebook for AoR announced: Strongholds of Resistance an Alliance Worlds splat.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ok, Quarren and Verpine, and... who the hell is the creepy dude on the left? [edit] I guess reading the linked article would help! Polis Massan huh? Never heard of em, an EU race I missed/forgot I assume?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Aka the dudes that delivered Luke and Leia in Ep. III

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, Quarren and Verpine, and... who the hell is the creepy dude on the left? [edit] I guess reading the linked article would help! Polis Massan huh? Never heard of em, an EU race I missed/forgot I assume?

They're the dudes from the asteroid hospital that Padme gives birth at in episode 3

E: f, b

Anyway, glad to see a location splat for AoR. I really like the concept here; places that are hella loyal. Hopefully the next one is for imperial worlds and hardware.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 4, 2015

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

jivjov posted:

Anyway, glad to see a location splat for AoR. I really like the concept here; places that are hella loyal. Hopefully the next one is for imperial worlds and hardware.

I'll be very sad if we don't get a "The Imperial Navy" book. Partially because I want to run a game where my players are essentially Wraith Squadron from the X-Wing Books and an Imperial sourcebook would be really helpful for the "Capture an Imperial ship and impersonate it," section that is likely to come up because that's Wraith Squadron.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Carteret posted:

New Sorcebook for AoR announced: Strongholds of Resistance an Alliance Worlds splat.

this loving owns

can't wait to play a Verpine

well, design a verpine :smith:

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Carteret posted:

Aka the dudes that delivered Luke and Leia in Ep. III

I only remember seeing medical droids in those scenes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

God drat that's creepy. I'd lose my will to live too if that was my doctor.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
They don't have Darth Nihilus powers, right? Because that is what I immediately thought of due to their masks.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

alg posted:

this loving owns

:smith::hf::smith: All these books and no one to play with.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

alg posted:

this loving owns

Learn to PBP, scrub.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Hulk Smash! posted:

:smith::hf::smith: All these books and no one to play with.

Or start a game on Roll20.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Carteret posted:

Imperial propaganda makers have the easiest job in the galaxy.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I ran the first session of my Mandalorian War game last night. It was pretty fun for me, characters are pretty sterotypical mandos, just some of them are better at not-shooting skills (like sabotaging stuff, hacking stuff to sabotage stuff, and otherwise being smart). Their first mission given to them by Mandalore was to disable a shield generator that was over the capital city of the world they were invading, that multiple basilisk droids had smashed into already. So far they've snuck into the city via underground tunnels they beat out of a member of the army that they captured, and are currently traversing the sewers. Unfortunately they tripped some perimeter sensors due to a despair on some checks, and we left off the session with them hearing an entire regiment rushing through the tunnels shouting to find them.

So far: Landed on basilisks in the middle of an army battle, shot about 20 minion units dead, captured the commander, interrogated him on bits of the city, then gave him to some NPC mandos as slave material due to his craven attitude. Lured the regiment guarding the sewer entrance away from their post by placing explosives a bit away from themselves, kill the two that remained to guard it in an instant round silently, and then wandered the sewers for a bit before tripping sensors. Would have gone longer but one of them had to go. Only lasted about two hours.

There's also no droid in this party and that still offends me. We have two taungs, two humans, and a twi'lek.

The twi'lek's helmet doesn't fit, so she wears it like a hockey mask instead, which amused me.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've been running campaigns for my college buddies via maptool / roll20 since 2009. None of them will GM :/

I'm not into PBP!

Endman
May 18, 2010

NutritiousSnack posted:

Imperial propaganda makers have the easiest job in the galaxy.

LOOK. LOOK AT THE CREEPY loving BUG PEOPLE.

JESUS CHRIST.

HOLY gently caress THAT'S CREEPY.

Vote Palpatine.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Endman posted:

LOOK. LOOK AT THE CREEPY loving BUG PEOPLE.

JESUS CHRIST.

HOLY gently caress THAT'S CREEPY.

Vote Palpatine.

Always remember the people of Naboo saw Sheevy and a 14 year old girl and thought the child would be a better leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kingcom posted:

Always remember the people of Naboo saw Sheevy and a 14 year old girl and thought the child would be a better leader.

She promised to improve school lunches and make prom "legendary".